Can I install Publisher 97 on a new computer with Vista?

I'm about to bite the bullet and replace my 9 year old computer, but
Vista scares me.  ;-)  I use Microsoft Publisher 97 once in a while to
perform simple tasks, and I'd hate to lose it.  Will I be able to
install it onto a new computer, or will I have to update?

Thanks,

Marcia

You can certainly try. Whether it works properly is another issue. If I had
to guess, you will have some problems that cannot be resolved.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

<Marcia R.spamlessinlasvegas@cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm about to bite the bullet and replace my 9 year old computer, but
> Vista scares me.  ;-)  I use Microsoft Publisher 97 once in a while to
> perform simple tasks, and I'd hate to lose it.  Will I be able to
> install it onto a new computer, or will I have to update?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcia

0
jl_paules (2768)
7/14/2008 9:50:16 PM

JoAnn Paules wrote:

> You can certainly try. Whether it works properly is another issue. If I had
> to guess, you will have some problems that cannot be resolved.

OK, thanks.

Marcia

> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>
> <Marcia R.spamlessinlasvegas@cox.net> wrote in message
> > I'm about to bite the bullet and replace my 9 year old computer, but
> > Vista scares me.  ;-)  I use Microsoft Publisher 97 once in a while to
> > perform simple tasks, and I'd hate to lose it.  Will I be able to
> > install it onto a new computer, or will I have to update?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Marcia

I have Publisher 97 on a Vista computer. The wizards work fine. You may have
some problems with the Clip Gallery. I am not sure if Vista or Office 2007 made
the Clip Gallery unusable. It could be it will work fine on your computer.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> JoAnn Paules wrote:
>
>> You can certainly try. Whether it works properly is another issue. If I had
>> to guess, you will have some problems that cannot be resolved.
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> Marcia
>

>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>
>> <Marcia R.spamlessinlasvegas@cox.net> wrote in message
>> > I'm about to bite the bullet and replace my 9 year old computer, but
>> > Vista scares me.  ;-)  I use Microsoft Publisher 97 once in a while to
>> > perform simple tasks, and I'd hate to lose it.  Will I be able to
>> > install it onto a new computer, or will I have to update?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Marcia

0
mary-sauer (6480)
7/14/2008 11:20:19 PM

Mary Sauer wrote:

> I have Publisher 97 on a Vista computer. The wizards work fine. You may have
> some problems with the Clip Gallery. I am not sure if Vista or Office 2007 made
> the Clip Gallery unusable. It could be it will work fine on your computer.

Thanks.  I mostly use it now for the borders and an occasional garage sale sign,
nothing major.   I used to publish a newsletter with it but no longer.

Marcia

> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> <Marcia R.spamlessinlasvegas@cox.net> wrote in message
> >

> > JoAnn Paules wrote:
> >
> >> You can certainly try. Whether it works properly is another issue. If I had
> >> to guess, you will have some problems that cannot be resolved.
> >
> > OK, thanks.
> >
> > Marcia
> >

> >> --
> >>
> >> JoAnn Paules
> >> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
> >>
> >> <Marcia R.spamlessinlasvegas@cox.net> wrote in message

This raises the whole issue of older software on VISTA. I for one would like
to mount Corel Ventura - but am currently having to stick with XP in order
to use it.

Have Microsoft any plans to enable these older mounts on Vista? and if not
why not. Other system manufacturers try their very best to cope with such
problems - why not Microsoft?

John

--
    _                     _________________________________________
   / \._._ |_  _     _  /'       Orpheus Internet Services

0
mijas (53)
7/15/2008 4:39:07 PM
Mr John FO Evans wrote:
> Have Microsoft any plans to enable these older mounts on Vista? and if not
> why not. Other system manufacturers try their very best to cope with such
> problems - why not Microsoft?

Microsoft has been regularly releasing compatibility updates for Vista
to allow older versions to run (or if they are incompatible, to prevent
them from running and destabilising the system - although I believe that
has only been the case for applications that are superseded by more
compatible versions - mainly AV and firewall software).

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org
Mr John FO Evans wrote:
>> Microsoft has been regularly releasing compatibility updates for Vista
>> to allow older versions to run (or if they are incompatible, to prevent
>> them from running and destabilising the system - although I believe that
>> has only been the case for applications that are superseded by more
>> compatible versions - mainly AV and firewall software)
>
> Where do I find them?

On Windows Update. Start > Control Panel > Windows Update.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org
0
the_nerd (6344)
7/18/2008 6:58:19 PM
In article <#tGa7zt5IHA.2332@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, Ed Bennett
<the_nerd@mvps.org> wrote:
> Microsoft has been regularly releasing compatibility updates for Vista
> to allow older versions to run (or if they are incompatible, to prevent
> them from running and destabilising the system - although I believe that
> has only been the case for applications that are superseded by more
> compatible versions - mainly AV and firewall software)

Where do I find them?

John

--
    _                     _________________________________________
   / \._._ |_  _     _  /'       Orpheus Internet Services
   \_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_> /          'Internet for Everyone'
_______ | ___________./       http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk

0
mijas (53)
7/18/2008 11:16:21 PM
John, as long as the program is not 16 bit, you can designate that it is to
run in compatibility mode.

"Mr John FO Evans" <mijas@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <#tGa7zt5IHA.2332@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, Ed Bennett
> <the_nerd@mvps.org> wrote:
>> Microsoft has been regularly releasing compatibility updates for Vista
>> to allow older versions to run (or if they are incompatible, to prevent
>> them from running and destabilising the system - although I believe that
>> has only been the case for applications that are superseded by more
>> compatible versions - mainly AV and firewall software)
>
> Where do I find them?
>
> John
>

> --
>    _                     _________________________________________
>   / \._._ |_  _     _  /'       Orpheus Internet Services
>   \_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_> /          'Internet for Everyone'
> _______ | ___________./       http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk

0
Anthemwebs (309)
7/20/2008 1:13:14 AM
I have a computer with windows vista Ultimate and I just install Microsoft
Publisher 97 and it doesn't work.  :-(

"Marcia R.spamlessinlasvegas@cox.net" wrote:

> I'm about to bite the bullet and replace my 9 year old computer, but
> Vista scares me.  ;-)  I use Microsoft Publisher 97 once in a while to
> perform simple tasks, and I'd hate to lose it.  Will I be able to
> install it onto a new computer, or will I have to update?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcia

0
edones (1)
7/23/2008 10:39:07 PM
edones wrote:
> I have a computer with windows vista Ultimate and I just install Microsoft
> Publisher 97 and it doesn't work.  :-(

Have you tried using Compatibility Mode?

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org
0
the_nerd (6344)
7/24/2008 9:18:01 AM
I run Publisher 97 on Vista. I use the Windows NT 4.0 compatibility mode.
Everything works.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"edones" <edones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a computer with windows vista Ultimate and I just install Microsoft
> Publisher 97 and it doesn't work.  :-(
>
> "Marcia R.spamlessinlasvegas@cox.net" wrote:
>
>> I'm about to bite the bullet and replace my 9 year old computer, but
>> Vista scares me.  ;-)  I use Microsoft Publisher 97 once in a while to
>> perform simple tasks, and I'd hate to lose it.  Will I be able to
>> install it onto a new computer, or will I have to update?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Marcia

0
mary-sauer (6480)

Some OWA users cant login but some can
We upgraded to Exchange 2003 from 5.5 and rolled out OWA. Some of the users can access the OWA system, But some cant. What should I check? Are the mailboxes all on 2003 yet? Are you still in mixed mode? How long ago did you migrate the mailboxes? I've experienced a similar situation where I needed to wait for either SRS or the ADC to replicate information for migrated mailbox before OWA could be used. This took up to an hour sometimes. Also, did you check the permissions of the user account to make sure they have access to OWA? I am having the same issue. It has been 3 weeks f...

Can I delete OE and just use Microsoft Outlook 2002
I would like to delete Outlook Express is this advisable? I am going to be using Microsoft Outlook 2002 which I recieved w/Toshiba PDA and already have it set up on the same PC as OE. Can I use Microsoft Outlook for multiple e- mail accounts? Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257824 With Outlook, you can integrate and manage e-mail from multiple e-mail accounts, personal and group calendars, contacts, and tasks. "Delia Marlowe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:780901c4025...

How can I use my calendar and other features wo using Outlook emai
I have Windows7 OS. I upgraded to MSO 2007. I cannot access the calendar, etc. without setting up an email profile which my ISP will not allow using the email address. How can I use my calendar and other features without using Outlook email? I could use the calendar on previous versions without setting up an email account. Why can't you use Outlook w/o a mail profile? What happens when you try? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft....

modify AD computer script to run from locally authenticated account on server
Hello, I have a script that I want to modify but am lost in applying the correct syntax to move a computer object in Active Directory. Based on what I have found in my searches I will need to bind directly to a DC with alternate credentials. I have tried multiple iterations but can't get it to work. Below is the original un-altered script that I am trying improve upon. ------begin paste----------- 'get computer name strComputer = "." Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root \cimv2") Set colItems = objWMI...

econnect 9.0 installation com+
I am installing eConnect 9 on a local machine with SQL Server Express and GP 9 installed. Running WinXP Pro sp2. When I get to the end of the installation process and need to enter the Domain/user and pass, I enter "eConnect" as the user I created in users and Groups. "eConnect" user is part of the admin group. I receive the following errors and installation fails. "The eConnect Incoming Service Returned the following error: Status Invalid Service Account" "The eConnect Outgoing Service Returned the following error: Status Invalid Service Account" ...

Publishing Website
I have a solution with multiple projects. On my LOCAL computer in Visual Studio 2008, I can choose a website, mouse right click, choose Publish and it publishes to my LOCAL c:\temp\webSiteName directory. It works great. I then use a bat to zip and copy the published project to the remote web server. (I am doing it this way instead of directly publishing the project to the website because it takes forever to copy the VERY BIG published project if it is not zipped.) I would like to NOT to have to "choose a website, mouse right click, choose Publish" and do this as pa...

Using Publisher for long reports
Hi. I write long reports (50 pages) in which layout and style are very important. I'm thinking of switching from Word to Publisher since Word's management of pictures and layout drives me wild. Can anyone advise me if Publisher might be the right choice? Does anyone have some long document templates they could show me? -- Giles It sounds like Publisher would be perfect for you since you indication that the layout is important. I can't help with a sample tho because (1) the longest I've done is about 24 pages and (2) my newsletters contain personal contact information and...

OE6 fails after installing Office 2000
The help of the assembled multitudes is welcomed: I tried to install MS Office 2000 Premium into an environment containing MSIE6.0 and Outlook Express 6.0 (with full SP updates.) OS is Windows ME, also with full updates. Result was corruption of Outlook Express. I could view email headers and previews, but could not launch email messages and/or print them. Further, the addressbook disappeared. When I tried to access address book, I was told that the system was improperly installed and I should reinstall. Removing Office 2000 from the system restored functionality to Outlook Express. I ...

REstoring a mail sotre to a newly installed exchange 2003
Hi, I have a windows SBS 2003 server installed with a couple of mailboxes on it. I backed up the mail store then decided to reinstall the OS. The reason to do this was to partition the disk differently. So I installed the OS from scratch, and now I need to restore my mail store backup done using ntbackup. Should I recreate the old users on my SBS2003 system or should I just restore the mail store on top of the exisiting mailstore created by the fresh installtion of the OS. I didn't backup anything else but the mailstore. The newly installed server uses the same domain name as the ol...

Data Loss in Publisher
Hi I run a W2k network in a school. I have Office Group Policies in place forcing the default save location for Publisher documents (Office XP version) to the pupil's home folders. All my PCs are identical (ghost images). Pupils have roaming profiles (some mandatory). Some users save work in Publisher and the next time they log on to the network and open the saved file, it's contents have gone! There is nothing exceptional about the affected users' user accounts and they have a mixture of mandatory and roaming profiles. Has anyone come across this problem before? Than...

Can't Change Text direction in office 2007
Hi, i have installed office 2007 ( Pro Plus Edition) on a machine. i have faced a strange thing that i have never seen. the option of changing text direction from right to left or left to right does not exist. it come by default with ltr direction. What's the Problem ? Hi, You need to enable a right-to-left language, such as Hebrew or Arabic. To do this, perform the following steps: 1. Close Word. 2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft Office, click Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings. 3. In the "Available...

Running 2 Versions of Publisher
I want to install and try the Publisher 2007 trial version. I currently have Pub 2002 on my machine. Can I install both versions? Or does 2007 screw up 2002? Or can I install 2007 on another HD on my system w/out touching my 2002 install? I DO NOT want to screw up my 2002 version - I have many files/clients who use it and we all know how stupid Pub is about reading files made in different versions. It would be very nice if the two could run side-by-side, and you could have both installed and running so you could choose between them. I don't suppose that's possible is it?Dawn I ...

How can I put a text box in every cell?
Two questions: -How can I put a text box in every cell that I am using WITHOUT having to insert on manually every time? AND - How can I make sure that a text box inserts itself automatically into a new row whenever I add a row? Thanks! One way is to select the row with the text box and copy it to the next row. Copy and paste it several times and then select the rows and paste them as a group. "bmowell" wrote: > Two questions: > > -How can I put a text box in every cell that I am using WITHOUT having to > insert on manually every time? &g...

My Exchange server will not make new mailboxes
I had one e-mail server on this domain it was giving us trouble so I installed a new server on the domain and made it an exchange server. I moved all the mailboxes that where in use to the new e-mail server. I wait two weeks and shut down the old server, but now when I create a new user in active directory and tell it to create a mailbox it looks as if it creates one. When I look in the properties of the user and go to the e-mail address tab it is blank. When I right click on the users name and go to exchange task it gives me the option to move the mailbox to the old server which is ...

New type of activity
Hello, I want to create a new type of activity. For eg., like the way we have types in Phone Task, Fax, Phone Call,etc. we need to have 1 or 2 more types. Is it possible? Regards, Venkat Venkat; New activities are not currently possible without using the SDK. MSFT has promised more flexibility with activities in v2.0 (due Q1 2005). Dave The only way to do this would be to create the new activities in a different table and link somehow back to CRM. A number of companies have developed solutions like this. As said this feature has been mentioned as a possible for the next crm release a...

Page break in publisher to change from portraite to landscape
I am trying to change one page from portrate to landscape without effecting the rest of the pages, but each time i try it effects all the pages. I know in word you can select page break. Is there something similar in publisher as i am unable to find this? -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/publisher/200707/1 Pub 2000 here and for me to do what you want I must leave the page in question as portrait and turn the text and images 90�. -- Don Vancouver, USA "chedd via OfficeKB.com" <u18187@uwe> wrote in message news:75f1cac2d1fca@...

Office Outlook
Hi, my office outlook is not working properly, error message : "the procedure entry point GETiums could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL " . what should I do?? pls advise. Thanks. Download and install the latest version of MDAC from Microsoft. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C814B57-C82D-4066-8586-7CFDA8750D55@microsoft.com... > Hi...

Creating New GP Company
I am in the process of creating a new GP Data Company – normally I just go to utilities and select “Create A Company” and I am good to go. This time however when I create the new company not all of the Manufacturing tables/stored procedures are created. I know that I have successfully created new companies prior to me installing SP5. When I log into the new company I get the following error: SQLServer souldnot find the stored procedure ‘CDA01.dbo.msysCompDoseMfgCompExist’ then invalid object name ‘ICJC6000’ When I actually try to go into a MOP module I get a message stating that M...

Can not empty clipboard #2
I have started getting a strange message in several of my MAC Office products including Word and Excel that says Can Not Empty Clipboard. I also can not copy and paste in any program including Safari. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks harper6702 Reboot and then run Disk Utility Repair Permissions. The clipboard is a file. I suspect it has overflowed or become corrupted. The reboot may take a long time: during a reboot, Unix cleans out its temporary files, and that may fix the issue... If it doesn't, I have no idea :-) On 16/11/06 2:17 PM, in article 1163647035.202984.70550@m73g2...

Can't save new contacts in Outlook 2007
When I try to save new contacts in Outlook 2007, I get an error message: "Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid." It's been suggested that I clear the forms cache but cannot find how to do that in 2007 (recommended link was for 2003 version). Can anyone help with that or is there another possible solution? P.S. I am working off line in Outlook, if that matters. Also, I can revise and save revisions to existing contacts with no problem. HJ Why are you starting a new thread? Suggest following the recommendations in ...

How do I make a single pdf page out of 4 publisher pages?
I would like to be able to send this newletter in pdf format by email. The people who receive it would like to scroll through the 4 pages. So far all I have been able to do is make a pdf out of each page and attach ~ as an attachement. They have to open each attachment to see the next page. Any help appreciated!! As you save to pdf look for a statement that says, "Append to existing file". This way all four pages will be in one file. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Cody" <Cody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0855587A-6DA5-410...

How do I open doc's from Publisher 2000 when I am using Pub 2003?
I recently purchased Publisher 2003 and can't seem to edit any document from a previous version. Are you running Norton AV? Try disabling NAV Script Blocking ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Start NAV Click Options. If a menu appears when you click Options, then click NortonAntiVirus. The Norton AntiVirus Options dialog box appears. Click Script Blocking. Uncheck Enable Script Blocking (recommended). Click OK. Restart the computer if prompted to do so. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "GAR" <GAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01222D01-7A00-4...

How can be detected if an Outlook profile is corrupted ?
Hi, I would like to verify in a program if an Outlook profile is valid or not ( is not corrupted ). Is there a method to do this ? Thanks Valid or corrupted are different things. Valid; account exists Corrupted; errors in mail profile Valid; Test Account button in Account Setup Corrupted; not possible as it can be many many things, you'll know when working with it -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "kistvan" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in mess...

Can I use Free Excel Viewer 97/2000 in Windows XP?
Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda The Viewer for Office 97/2000 works fine under Windows XP. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:11:01 -0700, "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with >Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, >that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda An...

How to write to the registry in Vista from Access
Hi... This is my first post and I want to know if there is somewhere a code to write to the registry. I have one from someone in the past but I try to use it on Windows Vista and instead of putting the key in the local machine/software it is adding to some virtual folder. Does anyone knows why??? Thanks... This is not really an Access question, but a Vista one. My best guess though is that you need administrative privileges to write to the registry, and Vista by default does not let anyway have those privileges without specifically logging in that way. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP ht...