Breaking links in Publisher 2002 (XP)

Hello, I am attempting to decrease the total file size of
a Publisher file by breaking the links as you can in Word
with Excell-linked graphics.  There is no option to break
links under the "edit:links" menu, and the option to break
links isn't possible under the commercial printing tools
menu.  Does anyone know of a different way to go about
this?

Please e-mail me at wmorris@mma-research.com

Thanks!
Whitney
0
anonymous (74722)

What if you moved the files it wants to be linked to? I've found that'll
break those links in a heartbeat.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Whitney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am attempting to decrease the total file size of
> a Publisher file by breaking the links as you can in Word
> with Excell-linked graphics.  There is no option to break
> links under the "edit:links" menu, and the option to break
> links isn't possible under the commercial printing tools
> menu.  Does anyone know of a different way to go about
> this?
>
> Please e-mail me at wmorris@mma-research.com
>
> Thanks!
> Whitney

0
jl_amerson (3088)
5/20/2004 3:07:27 PM
A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from
Whitney <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
> Hello, I am attempting to decrease the total file size of
> a Publisher file by breaking the links as you can in Word
> with Excell-linked graphics.

Out of interest, why would breaking links decrease the filesize?

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/

0
the_nerd (6342)
5/20/2004 3:41:03 PM
Ed Bennett wrote:
> A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from
> Whitney <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"...
>> Hello, I am attempting to decrease the total file size of
>> a Publisher file by breaking the links as you can in Word
>> with Excell-linked graphics.
>
> Out of interest, why would breaking links decrease the filesize?

I was just thinking the very same thing and I've come to the same
conclusion - it wouldn't.

0
cerridwen (233)

Microsoft Picture It! Publishing Platinum v.2002
I'm unable to do anything with this. I installed it on my new computer. I click on open and edit , my computer then the picture files that I want. They are all there but when I click on one picture to work on I get an error. I click ok and everything closes. Same for all the projects. Visual C++ Runtime Library runtime error: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Picture IT! 2002\pip.exe This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more information. Well, fool that I am, I called Microsoft and they would like $45. t...

Configure winRM for all XP workstations in domain?
Now that WinRM and PowerShell 2.0 are available for XP I'd like enable all workstations for remote management. What is the recommended way to enable WinRM 2.0 and PowerShell for remote management of all xp workstations in a domain environment? All my workstations now have the 2.0 management framework installed (thank you WSUS). Ideally I'd like to enable remote management via a GPO. I've found where the configuration is made, but it would appear that the "Allow automatic configuration of listeners" policy setting is insufficent and that I need also to co...

2002: saving documents in pdf or tiff or?
An on-line printing company requires that I save my 2002 Publisher brochure in pdf or tiff for their use. I have not been successful in my attempts. I need two unusual fonts to embed in the document. Is there a way around this besides buying 2007? And I see somewhere that 2007 needs an add-on anyway. Is there an add-on for 2002 that will help? Thanks so much for your help! Have you tried www.primopdf.com or any of the other free PDF converters? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pdf+converter&aq=0&oq=pdf -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Sky" <...

editing files from different versions of Publisher
does anyone know how to open and edit files from different versions of Publisher?? thanks ...

Print preview in Publisher 2003 changes doc from landscape to portrait
A friend of mine is attempting to print out an 11x17 double-sided flyer in landscape mode on her XP Pro system. The 2-year-old template she uses prints correctly in landscape form, but if she changes the text and attempts to print or do a print preview, the orientation of the page immediately changes to portrait and will print out in that form. The fact that the original Publisher 2003 versions printed correctly but the newly edit version does not sounds like there is a page formatting problem occurring, but regrettably I'm not a publisher expert. Anyone have any insights what mi...

unable to register publisher '02
anyone have any idea why the registration window advises of an error and shuts down pub 2002 each time registration is attempted on win2000pro? happens on both internet reg and telephone reg options. Hi mark h (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || anyone have any idea why the registration window advises || of an error and shuts down pub 2002 each time registration || is attempted on win2000pro? happens on both internet reg || and telephone reg options. What is the error message? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publ...

Outlook on XP is showing emails but not any appointments, help!
To elaborate, I have configured my outlook client so that it receives/sends emails and that works, but I can't see any of the appointments on my calendar. I have outlook set up at work, and that works fine, but now trying to do it from home. thanks! ...

Windows XP SP2 Support Ends July 2010 [FYI]
cf. http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/springboard/archive/2009/12/06/windows-2000-server-windows-2000-client-and-windows-xp-sp2-support-ends-july-2010.aspx ...

Outlook 2002 response delay
I'm a home user of Outlook 2002 SP3. Everything has the latest critical updates and the network is protected by a firewall in my D-Link router and Norton Systemworks 2003. When I start the day, Outlook is lightning fast, but gradually it becomes sluggish, with delayed responses. I'll click to open an e-mail in my inbox (already retrieved from web servers through cable) and Outlook will think...think...think. After anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds the e-mail will open. This also occurs if using the preview pane. I need to know how to troubleshoot. How can I find the root cause for this sl...

Linking computer dates (time) to spreadsheet dates that have formu
Aloha I am hoping someone is out there who can assist me. I have spent two days trying to do two simple things in a medicine sheet I made up. It involves the dates. They need to change by the month, we have figured out the formulas that in itself was difficult. But NOW HOW do I TIE IN my computers Calendar (where the time clock) is TO the dates I have in the spreadsheet? So when the computer calendar changes the spreadsheet dates change per the formula that is in there? THank you very much Antoinette We probably need a bit more information on what you are trying to do, but ...

Publisher 2000 Error Message when saving work
I have been using this program to publish a club newsletter for approz 1 year. Starting tonight the program will no longer let me save my changes to a file - and gives an error message. I have tried reloading and restarting the program. Have also used the command under Help to repair the file. Nothing is working. Any suggestions? I appreciate the help! Are you using the same Newsletter over and over? Bad idea... What is the exact error? How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198256 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP h...

linking files #2
I hope I can explain this. I have a chum who is wanting to have a central file that links to daughter files edited by lab workers. The problem he is encountering is that the cell references are not locked in with $A$1 formats. So when the daughter files are edited, rows inserted, without the central file being open.. things go to pot. Is there an easy / correct way of creating links of complete rows without doing it on a cell by cell basis? or is this approach just completely wrong and we should start again using a different method. Many thanks for your time Andrew J Newport Fife I th...

Help!! Where are my Page Breaks for Page 2,3 etc.
I use Excell for XP and want to add Pagebreaks. Only Page 1 is visible after Menu > View > Pagebraks. I canot add braks with selecting row/column and rightclick. No result after both setting up Print Area and reset Print Area. -- Thank you for your help. Bart Remove X from my e-mail address to send me an e-mail Quite la X de mi direcci�n para enviarme correo electr�nico ____________________ 1.. Bart, does this help? On the View menu, click Page Break Preview. Do one of the following: View page breaks Manually inserted page breaks appear as solid lines. Dashed lines indicat...

Lost link bar
I scrolled a link bar down out of the page frame in FrontPage 2003 for Windows and can't get it to come back. Can somebody tell me how to get the link bar back up into the page frame? Post a URL of the page using the link bar and the link that is supposed to show - so we can see what is wrong -- _____________________________________________ SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ] "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-; _____________________________________________ "Dick Johnson" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in m...

Outlook Express Links not redirecting
I have a Outlook Express Version 6. If I receive an email with a url link, I cannot click the link to initiate IE. The link shows up as a hyperlink (it's underlined) but I cant click it. If I cut and paist the link into IE, it navigates to the page. I have checked through security and all options I can think of but cannot find anything that would disable this. Any suggestions? Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its...

How do I stop word break-ing in publisher
Does anyone know how to stop the annoying word breaking in Publisher for instance " If this was a sentence part of a word may be split a the end of the line like th-is showing "th-" on the upper line and "is" on the next line. Please help I find this very annoy- ing! If you know what I mean. It's called hyphenating and in Publisher 2000 you would select Tools, Options, Edit and uncheck the "Automatically hyphenate new text frames". -- Don Vancouver, USA "Nigel" <Nigel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EC05219-3...

Class/resource link
Hi all Using Visual Studio.net 2003. When I insert a new dialog, i can right click on the dialog, and add a class, fine. When I have added the class, I can right click on a control to add a variable. The "add class" wizard automatically knows in which file to add the new variable. But where is this information stored? There are a couple of reasons I ask. First, I have converted some of my old projects, and I cannot add variables. I also added a new class, and afterwards I moved the class files to another directory. Now I cannot add variables unless I delete the class files and run...

"The procedure entry point ??3@YAXPAX@Z could be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll"
I have a executable which is built for AMD64 using the dec 2002 library msvcrt.lib but when I try to run that exe I get the error "The procedure entry point ??3@YAXPAX@Z could be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll". If I use the latest msvcrt.lib I could not link my exe. I have linker errors like error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl operator delete(void *)" (??3@YAXPAX@Z) nt5\reswiz.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void * __cdecl opera tor new(unsigned __int64)" (??2@YAPAX_K@Z) nt5\basepage.obj : error LNK2019: ...

Copy a Publisher Document Page
is it posable to copy a complete page from a publisher document to another publisher document. ?????? -- Tomk Sure, select all, copy, paste... If you have an older version of Publisher you can open two instances of the program at one time. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Tomk" <Tomk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8FC39737-0E5C-4457-AC28-F2AA511770DA@microsoft.com... > is it posable to copy a complete page from a publisher document to another > publisher document. ?????? &g...

website photograph quality in publisher
I have cut and paste a number of good quality JPEG pictures into my publisher document, but when I come to run a "web page preview" the quality of the picture is very poor - what am I doing wrong? Any ideas please? John Are you resizing them on the web page? It has been my experience Publisher doesn't like it. -- Don Vancouver USA "John Tipping" <John Tipping@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1228667-87D2-4C45-A4F1-B21CE5A75891@microsoft.com... >I have cut and paste a number of good quality JPEG pictures into my >publisher > d...

Publisher 2002 wont open 2000 files
I have installed at least 150 copies of Publisher 2002 at our company and no one can open Publisher 2000 files which means all of their files, as they were all created in version 2000. I have read the newsgroups and we do not have the usual problems such as Norton, we use InoculateIT etrust. The only way I have been able to open these files is by loading version 2000 on my machine. To put it mildly, people are very upset. Is there anything I can do short of uninstalling 2002 and reinstalling 2000? both service packs 1 and 2 addressed some version issues. have you been installing the 20...

Can anyone point me to some link to understand basics of templates... #2
Hi, I want to start with templates and if somebody can give me links where i can start with.. I am through with VC++ and other features like ATL even.. but have not used templates anytime.. -- Jigar Mehta ...

How do I disable "Customize" on MS Publisher?
PUB11.ADM files is missing the capability to use "Disable Items in User interface" which in include "Predefined" and "Custom". I did modify the PUB11.ADM files but the application itself doesn't recognize the chamges. So my question is how do I disable those feature on MS Publisher? Hello All, I have the same problem now, does anyone know a solution for this problem or can i make a custom adm file...? "Ramos" wrote: > PUB11.ADM files is missing the capability to use "Disable Items in User > interface" which in include &quo...

VB6 - ADO
First I must to say Sorry, because my English is not the best. I have some values that I write into an Excel XP sheet from VB6 using ADODB connection. The problem is that in Excel XP sheet the numbers in the cells are formatted as text. (All the cells In Excel have a green error indicator in the upper left corner). To write the values in Excel sheet I use INSERT INTO � or AddNew and Update methods of the RecordSet. I would like to now how can I copy the values (or one column) of the MSFlexGrid to Clipboard. It is to Past to another application, like Excel Sheet or OriginPro 7. Thanks any He...

Checkbox behavior different in Windows XP and Windows 2000
I have a dialog app that was compiled with .NET 2003 and Windows 2000. In this dialog I have 5 checkboxes and their states are determined by a configuration file. Under Windows 2000 the checkboxes states are presented correctly, but under Windows XP with SP2 the checkboxes are checked incorrectly! If I just recompile the app (under Windows XP) the checkboxes states are presented correctly. I wonder if someone had experienced this strange behavior. Is this maybe caused by a bug in my program? Is something that I’m missing? Thanks. >I have a dialog app that was compiled with .NET 20...