Alphabetical Sorting

How can I sort a group of names alphabetically in a text box?
0
skw (2)

Publisher doesn't have the capability to sort.  You could create a table in
Word, sort the names, then copy paste into Publisher.

--
Don - Publisher 2000�
Vancouver, USA

"skw" <skw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I sort a group of names alphabetically in a text box?

0
Engineer5094 (821)

Sort multiple columns into one column
Once again I am here with yet another problem... I have several columns of serial numbers that I need to sort into one column. Is there anyway to just select all of the serial and sort them automatically? Here is an example of what the spreadsheet looks like: COLUMN 1 COLUMN 2 COLUMN 3 WBLM015780 WBLM006249 WBLM006249 WBMM025115 WFMM041685 WBLM006249 WDMM020958 WFMM074766 WBLM006249 WDMM021095 WFMM074766 WBLM006249 And I need to put them all into one column. I have hundred of serial numbers in each column and it would be a pain just to cut and paste. Thanks in advance! --- M...

Strange behavior of the alphabetic sort order
An article in the KB (#168234 XL97: Hyphens and Apostrophes Are Sorted After Alphabetic Letters ) explains very well how the sort should work in the last versions of Excel. But it sounds like if Excel's sorting behaves differently, which get me in trubbles: Here are 3 lists A, B and C all sorted by Excel (every elements are separated by a comma for reading purpose).The third list does not work as expected since the hyphen character is not ignored at all. Does anybody have an explanation ? List A:1,-,+,a List B:11,1-,1+,1a List C:111,1+1,1-1,1a1 The Excel 2003 help file adds a li...

sort option is greyed out in excel
Sort option is greyed out in excel 2000 premium edition. I am using windows 2000 pro and I have just formated my hard drive after my pc crashed. So I installed everything from scratch. Did I left something out? Do I have to install something else? I just can't get the sort option to work. I will really appreciate any help Thank you Gabriela Hi Gabriela check that the worksheet is not protected - tools / protection, and unprotect sheet (if it is an option). let us know if this solves the problem Cheers JulieD "donleyga" <donleyga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Freeze title row before sort
How do I sort a column without moving the title row? Click in the column to want to sort. Click on Data, Sort. Make sure there is a checkmark in Header Row at the bottom of the dialogue box. Is this what you want to do? -- Rae Drysdale "Rich R." wrote: > How do I sort a column without moving the title row? ...

Sort data separated by commas
Good day and thanks for reading. I am working on a file where a cell contains data separated by a comma. ex: Col A Col B Row 1 {Medium, Blue, hard } { 153 } Row 2 {Big, Red, soft } { 230 } Row 3 {Small, Pink, hard } { 50 } Row 5 {Big, Blue, soft } { 250 } Where { } are the limits of the cell What I am looking for is a way to sort Column A by the second value on each cell, ex: (Blue, Red, Pink) Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks What I would to is use the "text...

numeric sort on one sheet, automatically sorts alphabetical on another?
How can I set up a sheet where I would input a list of names and numbers sorted numerically, and have that data automatically placed in alphabetical order on another sheet. The application is a simple key locker i.e. Sheet 1 num desc 001 front door 002 back door 003 firehouse 004 apple house sheet 2 would automatically display as desc num apple house 004 back door 002 firehouse 003 front door 001 the printed output is most important so I could just sort before printing. But if the automation is possible it would be very interesting to see ...

Sort by column, not range
I'm trying to set up a macro that can be used from multiple workbooks with the same columns but different worksheet names. The number of rows will also vary. How can I reference the column rather than the range? I want it to sort by the Customer column which is the column header for column A. Below is my current code which references a specific worksheet name and range (which I'm trying to get away from). I recorded the macro for this code. Columns("A:A").Select Selection.FormatConditions.AddUniqueValues Selection.FormatConditions(Selection.F...

Question about sorting
In the code below, where indicated error 1, I get this error message: Error 1 using the generic type 'System.Collections.Generic.IComparer<T>' requires '1' type arguments. What I really want to do is use CODE, WITHOUT MANUALLY selecting column three, to sort column three, and get the rest of listview in column three order. Could s.o. please tell me what to do? Many thanks, Zach. #region Sorting columns. // Implements the manual sorting of items by columns. class ListViewItemComparer : IComparer <------- error 1 { ...

Saving a sort in a custom view
I'm trying to save a particular sort in a custom view and it's not working. Does anyone know of a limitation when saving custom views? Maybe sorting is not something that can be saved as part of a custom view. Thanks! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ From XL Help (custom views): > What can be stored in custom views? The stored settings include column > widths, display options, window size and position on the screen, window > splits...

Sorting #22
I have a long list of numbers, such as: 106-89-8 141-43-5 197-77-81 50-00-0 When I sort the cells, the 50-00-0 comes either first or last. I want Excel to sort 50-00-0 first since "50" is lower than "106". How is this done? The list contains over 500 entries. / Ulf Hi Ulf, Assuming that the you want them sorted according to the numbers before the first hyphen, and your data is in Column A, you can use a helper column, say Column B, put the following formula, copy down, and sort on Column B: =--LEFT(A1,FIND("-",A1)-1) Hope this helps! In article <1d...

Formula for counting frequency then sorting
Hi guys, Need some help with this one. My worksheet looks a little like this; Col F Col X Barcode Round Number 14 1234123412341234 12341 15 8687686876868686 86876 16 7543275432754327 75432 17 2482482482482482 24824 18 8687686777777777 86876 The worksheet is a year-to-date summary of all claims submitted to my department from our clients (data starts at row 14). Various data is submitted but I am focussing on the worst performing rounds. The r...

Pivot Tables Sort
I am having trouble trying to sort the 13 cycles in a pivot table. When I try to sort it comes up like this 1 1 1 1 I want a normal numeric sort. 1,2,3 ... I have tried to sort by values, but it gives me the "sort refernece is not valid" error. I have also tried to alter the sort in options, but them I get something even screwier than I started. I have also tried to change the formatting of the cells. Does anyone have any clue what's going wrong? Thank I've tried to work out what's been going wrong, but I don't get the sam errors. Are you trying ...

Sort a validation list?
Hi. I have a range of cells that are NOT sorted and should not be sorted on the worksheet. I want to use that range as a Data Validation List, but I want the values to be sorted on the validation list. Any suggestions? Thanks! Ken a duplicate list? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com <kk_oop@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1127666134.816720.25520@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi. I have a range of cells that are NOT sorted and should not be > sorted on the worksheet. I want to use that range as a Data Validation > List, but I want the values to be s...

Sort unique data from a colum
I have a column (let's call it 'Column C') of data that represents part numbers required to build an assembly. In Column C are multiple part numbers, some of which are repeated. What I want to do is have Column D report all the unique data from Column C, without repeating any of the part numbers. Basically what I want to do is isolate the parts required. No amounts, just the parts required. Thanks in advance! Data > Filter > Advanced Filter > then set up your conditions and check the box "Unique records only" > OK Vaya con Dios,...

Select names sort sequence -- Outlook 2003
In Outlook 2003 ... when I go to send a new mail message via the sequence Send/To/Select Names, the Select Names list does not alphabetize by last name even though all three ways the name appears in Contacts are set up as Last, First. The names imported from my previous address book (Outlook Express, Win 98), are alphabetized Last/First. They work fine. The names newly entered into Contacts are the ones that will not come up by last name no matter what I try. So when I hunt for, say, Samuel Jones by typing Jones into the "Type name or select from list" box, the message will not addre...

alphabetical listing reqd
Hi I had the following information headers in an excel file: Name Address Address2 City containing around 200 records. What i want is to sort the list alphabetically, so that the result should look like: A record1 record1 record1 record1 B record1 record1 record1 C record1 record1 and so forth.. please suggest. Deepak Perhaps the easiest way is to make 2 extra entries for each letter. The first entry for 'A' would be 'A' and the letter colour (color) should be set to the same as the backgrou...

Sort documents by date in Apply Sales Documents window
Is it possible to add VB code to the Apply Sales Documents window to sort the documents by Document Date instead of Document Number? If so, does anyone have that code? ...

How to sort colored data
People keep giving me large reports and highlighting the pertinent rows or changing the color of the text. Unfortunately I have now way to sort or filter to consolidate just the row with the red text or cell color. What are my options? Bob See http://cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm In article <3F3CF8FE-3490-4080-B435-483AA4508F26@microsoft.com>, Bob <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > People keep giving me large reports and highlighting the pertinent rows or > changing the color of the text. Unfortunately I have now way to sort or > filter to consoli...

sorting two columns
Hi I would like to know if there is a way to sort two different culumn side by side. my problem is that in column one there is 8700 record and the second has 3700 records, what command can I use to make the second column records line up sid by side to the first column? Regards JD example: a b b d c e d -- jdimin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jdimino's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2951 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52525 ...

pivot table
Friends, I created a pivot table from a 7 column spreadsheet (13k records, one fiscal year). One of the columns is "week_number" (i.e. weeks 1-52 for the year, an integer data type). Each record contains a week number. When I drag the "week number" field into the pivot table, the weeks appear out of order. QUESTION: Is there a way to correct this so that the week numbers appear in the pivot table in order, 1 - 52 from top to bottom? Thanks for your help ... Bill What orientation does the week no field have. (Row, column, value?) If it is a row and the only one ...

sorting matrix data
I have a matrix that returns the volume by month of certain items. The months represent the colum data. How do I sort the data that appears in month column "today's month -7"? Please help. See if that helps you http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc627509.aspx "dataGirl" <dataGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:548C4B6F-84C1-4114-8B29-79B8C53837B1@microsoft.com... >I have a matrix that returns the volume by month of certain items. The > months represent the colum data. How do I sort the data that appears in >...

Copy/paste/sort
Sheet2 has data in cols A-F which are ordered in numeric order by colA. More rows of data are added weekly. I would like code which will copy all the data from Sheet2 and paste it to Sheet8 (overwriting anything already there) and sort it in ascending order by column C. Rows 1 and 2 of both sheets are constants (headings) and therefore can be omitted fron the copy/paste ranges. Many thanks, -- tia JockW;614328 Wrote: > Sheet2 has data in cols A-F which are ordered in numeric order by colA. > More > rows of data are added weekly. > I would like code which wi...

Sorting in multiple worksheets
I'm having a few issues sorting rows in multiple worksheets. I have 6 worksheets with Names in one column and employee numbers in another. I have these linked throughout all six worksheets. When I sort the rows in my worksheet A it sorts the linked cells brillantly throughout the rest of the worksheets. However, I have data in the worksheets B-E that relates to the specific employees name in the row. When I sort the related data does not stay with the specific employee's row in worksheets B-E. Any ideas? If you select all columns before doing the sort, all data will ...

annoying sort warning messages
Since I am an extremely type-A, retentive person, I insist in entering codes, like area codes as text. New to Office 10, I am extremely annoyed to perform a Data|Sort, and get messages that all three columns contain numbers formatted as labels. Is there any way to turn that off!? -- Regards, P D Sterling I don't know a way of turning it off, but I've never seen that message when I did the sort via code. Maybe you could record a macro when you sort it once and then just rerun that macro when you need to sort it again. P D Sterling wrote: > > Since I am an extremely typ...

Sorting PO.XML and PORCV.XML File
Is it possible to set how the Po.xml and porcv.xml files are sorted? I know they will sort based on how the Items are sorted in the contents tab, The problem I am having is that I need to sort based on the BinLocation and it is not one of the fields on the Contents tab. Any Ideas? Thanks, Butch This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0619_01C75557.A2B44F70 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_061A_01C75557.A2B44F70" ------=_NextPart_001_061A_01C75557.A2B44F70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Cont...