A Publisher viewer would make it easier to read other's pub files

I'm finding it rather frustating not being able to open other people's pub
files. Why isn't there a publisher viewer?? This can't be doing great things
for the amount of usage of publisher... considering anyone who uses it can't
show their work to others... whereas PDFs etc...  its an open-source format.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=549171b5-7530-4faf-802a-af22ac9102ef&dg=microsoft.public.publisher
0
23 (2)

If you'd spent a little time reading the archives in this newsgroup, you'd
have seen that we often post links to free or low cost alternatives to
Acrobat and recommend using .pdf files.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Mongoose 23" <Mongoose 23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm finding it rather frustating not being able to open other people's pub
> files. Why isn't there a publisher viewer?? This can't be doing great
> things
> for the amount of usage of publisher... considering anyone who uses it
> can't
> show their work to others... whereas PDFs etc...  its an open-source
> format.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=549171b5-7530-4faf-802a-af22ac9102ef&dg=microsoft.public.publisher

0
jl_amerson (3088)
5/18/2005 1:17:30 AM
<<<<<<< If you'd spent a little time reading the archives in this newsgroup,
you'd
> have seen that we often post links to free or low cost alternatives to
> Acrobat and recommend using .pdf files.>>>>>>>>

If you'd spent a little time trying to pull your finger out of your bum,
you'd have noticed how unhelpful you were being. tut. Publisher needs a
viewer, is there one yet?

0
Prellie (2)
12/3/2005 6:27:01 PM
You could download the 30 day evaluation kit, when the evaluation runs out you can
use the Publisher evaluation kit as a viewer.
https://microsoft.order-7.com/consumermosep/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MSTrialandEval&category%5Fname=Evaluation+Kits&product%5Fid=099%2D91827&cookie%5Ftest=1

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Prellie" <Prellie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> <<<<<<< If you'd spent a little time reading the archives in this newsgroup,
> you'd
>> have seen that we often post links to free or low cost alternatives to
>> Acrobat and recommend using .pdf files.>>>>>>>>
>
> If you'd spent a little time trying to pull your finger out of your bum,
> you'd have noticed how unhelpful you were being. tut. Publisher needs a
> viewer, is there one yet?

0
gsauer (5093)
12/3/2005 7:33:35 PM
"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> You could download the 30 day evaluation kit, when the evaluation runs out you can
> use the Publisher evaluation kit as a viewer.
> https://microsoft.order-7.com/consumermosep/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MSTrialandEval&category%5Fname=Evaluation+Kits&product%5Fid=099%2D91827&cookie%5Ftest=1

Thank you mary.
I do find it strange that microsoft haven't put out a viewer.
I'm not a publisher user myself, and have no need for the program, however
as a web designer every so often a client pops up who sends me his stuff as a
pub file, this time I tried the PrimoPDF route recommended elsewhere, maybe
it was me being thick, but the install led nowhere. Its certainly not a
solution for your average user. Sometimes its not straight forward to ask the
producer of the file to re-save it, a viewer would be good, i wish i could
code one! there must be some money in that!

 Your answer hopefully will solve my problem - many thanks for your reply.

0
Prellie (2)
12/3/2005 7:51:01 PM
Prellie wrote:
> I tried the PrimoPDF route recommended elsewhere,
> maybe it was me being thick, but the install led nowhere.
> Its certainly not a solution for your average user.
====================================
For .pub files...Primo PDF is only useful if you
have Publisher. The file must be first opened in
Publisher and then it's possible to create the
..pdf file by choosing Primo PDF as your printer.
Once you have the .pdf version of your file...it
can be opened and viewed with Adobe Reader.

Mary's suggestion for the 30 day trial version
of Publisher is the best bet for someone who
does not have Publisher installed.

--

John Inzer

0
oobie (2069)
12/3/2005 8:27:22 PM
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:27:01 +0000, Prellie wrote
(in article <F0E82808-5F4E-47B8-A42E-00037309C30C@microsoft.com>):

> <<<<<<< If you'd spent a little time reading the archives in this newsgroup,
> you'd
>> have seen that we often post links to free or low cost alternatives to
>> Acrobat and recommend using .pdf files.>>>>>>>>
>
> If you'd spent a little time trying to pull your finger out of your bum,
> you'd have noticed how unhelpful you were being. tut. Publisher needs a
> viewer, is there one yet?

Excuse me?! JoAnn was being perfectly helpful. We don't take kindly (well
apart from Bog Roll Sauer) to lazy, insolent fuckwits like you who cannot be
bothered to help themselves.  Want your arse wiped? Suggest you find the bog
roll and do it yourself. We sure as Hades ain't gonna do it for ya...

Now, I suggest you apologise to JoAnn this instant...

Now do piss off, there's a good fuckwit...

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:49:08 +0000, Sarah Balfour
<sarah.balfour@craigy34.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

>Excuse me?! JoAnn was being perfectly helpful. We don't take kindly (well
>apart from Bog Roll Sauer) to lazy, insolent fuckwits like you who cannot be
>bothered to help themselves.  Want your arse wiped? Suggest you find the bog
>roll and do it yourself. We sure as Hades ain't gonna do it for ya...
>
>Now, I suggest you apologise to JoAnn this instant...
>
>Now do piss off, there's a good fuckwit...

Nicely put, dear - brava!

Blessed be, for sure...
0
T1317 (75)
12/7/2005 4:36:49 PM
I could have used you by my side on many occasions in the past!

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Sarah Balfour" <sarah.balfour@craigy34.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:27:01 +0000, Prellie wrote
> (in article <F0E82808-5F4E-47B8-A42E-00037309C30C@microsoft.com>):
>
>> <<<<<<< If you'd spent a little time reading the archives in this
>> newsgroup,
>> you'd
>>> have seen that we often post links to free or low cost alternatives to
>>> Acrobat and recommend using .pdf files.>>>>>>>>
>>
>> If you'd spent a little time trying to pull your finger out of your bum,
>> you'd have noticed how unhelpful you were being. tut. Publisher needs a
>> viewer, is there one yet?
>
> Excuse me?! JoAnn was being perfectly helpful. We don't take kindly (well
> apart from Bog Roll Sauer) to lazy, insolent fuckwits like you who cannot
> be
> bothered to help themselves.  Want your arse wiped? Suggest you find the
> bog
> roll and do it yourself. We sure as Hades ain't gonna do it for ya...
>
> Now, I suggest you apologise to JoAnn this instant...
>
> Now do piss off, there's a good fuckwit...

0
jl_paules1 (1069)

How do I remove ~WRL0000.tmp files?
Two days ago one of my MS Word folders I was working in started to accumulate a lot of ~WRL1234.tmp files. Usually these disappear after I leave the folder, but today they're still there. How can I delete them? And how can I reset things so they don't start accumulating again? Many Thanks. See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. Tim wrote: > Two days ago one of my...

Excel 2000 tries to open unrecognizable file on startup
Hi, For the last couple of weeks, when I first open Excel I get a Microsoft Excel Error pop-up window that says "This file is not in a recognizable format....". I am uncertain what file it is trying to open, but when I click "cancel" it opens books1.xls. Which I usually ignore and go into "open file" and pick my excel file. Any idea what is going on? Win98 Excel 2000 -- Thanks - Jeff Jeff I suspect one of two things 1) Excel opens all files in it xlStart folder. Search for this and remove anything without an .xls, xlt extension 2) If you go to Tools&g...

Exchange Crash -- all we have is the ispriv.edb file
Hello all -- A client of mine never did any exchange 2003 backups, but did copy over the ispriv.edb file over to an external USB harddrive. All we want to do is pull the email out of that directory (8GB file) and put it into .pst files. Then, Ill reinstall Exchange, and open each person's mail box and copy the contents of each .PST file back to the server. My question is: If I only have the ISPRIV.EDB file, how do I get mail out of it ? Is there some super cool easy to use tool for this? ;-) Any help appreciated!! Sincerely, Blake http://wm.quest.com/products/recoverymanage...

.pst file is maxed out - HELP
Apparently I have reached the maximum size of my outlook.pst file (see attached error message). I have tried deleting items but nothing I do seems to have any effect and I continue to get the attached error message. Therefore the eMail part of Outlook is disabled. Anyone got any pointers? XP Pro SP-2/Outlook 2003. Already using .pst format for database. Thanks, No image attached. Post a link, rather than an attachment. See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/o...

combine multiple excel file in to one excel file and multiple worksheet
I am wanting to use the following code to combine worksheets from multiple files. However I would like to be able to select folder which contains files in a more automated way that having to change the code every time, and also copy all worksheets with links and formulas removed. Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I have limited code knowledge. Sub Copy_them() > Dim TargetWkbk As Workbook > Dim mrgWkbk As Workbook > Dim i As Long > Dim Wks As Worksheet > Dim fName As String > Application.ScreenUpdating = False > Set TargetWkbk ...

how i can change default file format Outlook uses to save message
I my saving message in my inbox using "File->Save As" menu. "Save As.." dialog by default shows "Save As Type:" as "HTML". How I can change default file format Outlook uses to save messages to as "Outlook Message Format - Unicode" ?????? Rajkumar <Rajkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I my saving message in my inbox using "File->Save As" menu. > "Save As.." dialog by default shows "Save As Type:" as "HTML". > How I can change default file format Outlook uses to save messages...

Publisher Webpage
I have created a web page using Publisher 2003 on our local server. When I upload the web page to an offsite data bank all of my hyperlinks pointing to PowerPoint presentation and Word Documents still point to our local server. Is there an easy way to have the hyperlinks point to the my files on the offsite data bank? -- ckaras Reference: Including external files in a Publisher web http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/archive/2006/01/07/80561.aspx DavidF "ckaras" <ckaras@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28BD64D5-AAA1-4842-86EF-403C41D2B3B9@microsoft.com....

Mpeg Video file
Please help. When I copy and paste an Mpeg movie file / AVI file into my Publisher 2000 system i can then right click and "Change Object", "Media Clip" and "Edit" this allows me to seardch through the video to find the still frame i want and have this then inserted into the document. This works fine on my computer but on my friends computer does not work, the publisher version is the same and the imported video is the same, when he attempts to do the same it comes up with Change package and does not allow him to edit the video at all, I think there must be ...

Missing file still....
I tried running detect and repair and reinstall. Outlook still looks for sku1ca.cab file .... Someone please HELP. -Kyle did you have different versions or suites of office installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Kyle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1b9fc01c420fa$8a7ce410$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I tried running detec...

My excel file is too large (5 mb) when it shouldn't be, why?
I have an excel file has ballooned in size for some reason. I have tried to copy all the cells and then used "paste special" to paste just the values and the file size doesn't reduce. I am copying numbers from an investment website into my spreadsheet and there don't appear to be any issues with the pasted cells but I suspect it is causing the file size expansion and very slow performance. I then deleted all the cells around by spreadsheet and it didn't help at all. All suggestions as to how I can fix this problem appreciated. Kenview If you do a Ctl-End, does...

Need to Load Publisher
I have Publisher 98 CD and lost the jewel case that had the CD Key Value. I have anew computer and just needs the functionality of Publisher 98. How can I get the 11-disgit key value? I have a valid product ID when I loded the software on the old computer Help?? MIke http://www.phroogle.com/index.php?str=p&st=4520 -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Mike" <mbenya@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:027d01c3c...

backup file size
I've noticed that my backup file size varies considerably. Sometimes its very close to the origonal file size and sometimes its more than 25% larger. Why? In microsoft.public.money, jerry wrote: >I've noticed that my backup file size varies >considerably. Sometimes its very close to the origonal >file size and sometimes its more than 25% larger. Why? You probably did not set Tools->Options->MakeMyFileSmall... "jerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:079001c39eb1$491ea150$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I've noticed that m...

how to produce a csv file from a unicode-saved text file
Friends, I have an excel spreadsheet (version 2000) that has Japanese characters. I would like to save it as unicode text file so that I can FTP it to my unix box for loading into an Oracle database. When I save the file as unicode text, it properly preserves the characters, but using whitespace as the delimiters. I would like to change this to a csv, but when I save as the file as CSV, the Japanese characters turn into set of ?? symbols. Is there any way around to create the unicode text file with delimiters other than whitespace? Thanks for any ideas. - Sal ...

Making charts equivalent
We track the average patient value on a number of different analytes. Is there a standard way to make the graphs appear equivalent? If I track hemoglobin with a mean of 14.0 with the minimum set at 10 and the max set at 18, and then I have a second graph for hematocrit that has a mean of 38, but the max is set at 41 and the min at 35, the latter is a steep graph, and the former is flat, even though the hemoglobin values are approximately 1.3 the hematocrit. But the setting of the axis values can potentially make data look misleading. I am looking for a rule so that data will appear consist...

Can I import a .pdf file into publisher
I tried to copy and paste from InDesign and it did not work. Can you import any type of file into publisher. Example: .pdf or .eps No. Publisher is pretty much a stand all by itself program. If you can't copy and paste into it, you're kind of sorely out of luck. You can put pictures into a Pub file but you can't go back and edit the individual parts of them, such as text. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Graphix grl" <Graphixgrl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88493145-8B59-4131-AD33-C916D22CF63C@microsoft.com... >I tried...

Blocked and safe senders file in Outlook 2003
Hi, I am wondering where outlook 2003 saves the address that you add to the safe sender/recipient and blocked sender list. Outlook XP saved the junk senders in a file called "Junk senders" in C:\Documents and Settings\my_id\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook I used to backup that file, so I would like to know where Outlook keeps the file now. Thank you The lists are kept in binary values in the Windows registry and also in a hidden item in the mail store (mailbox or PST file). Both lists are kept in one multivalued property although no one has decoded it yet, the bits also s...

Money 2004
I just installed Money 2004 on a new computer. I copied my data directory over and would like to open my existing MNY file. File-Open let's you select the file and then starts a Wizard. As soon as I click Next, Money crashes with the "Money must close" message. Not cool. Any ideas? Anytime you experience unexplained issues like this, you should first run the salvage tool to make sure there is no corruption in your file. If the error keeps happening, then post the problem here. L utz" wrote: > I just installed Money 2004 on a new computer. I copied my da...

open a new instance of excel for each file ? (Vista / Seven)
Hi people, How under Vista & Win7 can we open a new instance of excel for each file ? thx a lot people. ...

Reading UUENCODE
For some reason when a client is sending UUENCODE type messages to my Exchange Server the Clients can not ready the Email or the Attachments. All Attachments are arriving with the same size and when opened display as a X. Has anybody seen this problem before ...

HTML link to a specified worksheet within a excel file
From an HTML page I would like to add a link to an EXCEL file but on a specific worksheet? I s this possible Thanks ...

error when opening large file
Hi, I am trying to open a large file in Publisher 2002, and Publisher just closes right up. ANy clues? How large is large? Do you get any error message? Did you create this file or was it passed on to you? -- JoAnn Paules - MVP Microsoft Publisher "sherri" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1d10701c4229e$127b63b0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, I am trying to open a large file in Publisher 2002, > and Publisher just closes right up. > > ANy clues? Have you got the garbage trash junk Symantec Norton installed? If you have, RE-move/UN-i...

Music files using "Package for CD" Option in Powerpoint
I am trying to burn my show onto a disk, and the show has songs linked to it. I know the songs are not embedded into the show, so I was looking for a solution for this. I saw the "package for CD" option in the menu and according to that, it is supposed to take your show, and all linked files and burn it onto a disk to be played back using powerpoint viewer. I made sure the box was checked to include linked files. After the disk burned, no music. I tried putting all the music and show in one folder and then running the package for cd tool, still no music. Is ther...

Old emails previously filed into subfolders going to Junk Email
We're on Exchange 2007, and most of the clients run Windows XP with Office 2003. So far this has been running fine. Though recently we've updated some of the clients to Office 2007, these clients are now finding that sometimes emails they've previously open, then filed into subfolders, now appear in their Junk email folder. Also if you right click these emails and mark as not junk, it actually asks if you wish to move back into the specific subfolder it should be in (not the inbox). I've googled and I wasn't able to find any other cases of this, so I'd ...

Comprimming photos in Publisher Office 2003
I made all the steps described at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA011266301033.aspx, additional downloaded SP2, but icon compress picture doesn´t appear in the toolbar, what to do to optimize pics for publishing website? Pls help, tks. Right-click a toolbar, click customize, commands tab, select picture, scroll down on the right to the compress picture icon, drag it to the picture toolbar. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "dsauer" <dsauer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

How do I creat a 8-1/5 x 14 template in Publisher?
I am creating a newsletter for my business and the boss wants to use 8-1/2 x 14 papers. How do I customize a template to and make it like a book where you staple it in the middle? Help!!! Lace wrote: > I am creating a newsletter for my business and the boss wants to use 8-1/2 x > 14 papers. How do I customize a template to and make it like a book where you > staple it in the middle? Help!!! File > Page Setup > Printer and Paper. Use this dialog to set your paper size. There are templates that use a Booklet fold by default. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http:/...