"rule after paragraph" appears on previous page

I set up a heading style that has a "rule after paragraph".
Of course, it is quite often the first line on a page.
On the previous page, I have a page break.
The rule appears after the page break character, at the bottom of the page, 
but I don't want a rule there.
If I remove the rule, the heading style on the next page has no rule.
It seems that the line of the document that contains the page break *must 
be* the same style as the first line at the top of the next page.

By the way, this happens in Word and Publisher, and has been a source of 
frustration with these programs for years.

So how do I get rid of the "rule after paragraph" that appears with the page 
break on the previous page?

I know there is a workaround, but it is ugly: Don't use a style with a rule 
at the top of a page. Instead, create a new style that is just a rule with a 
very small font, and have a blank line of this style under the first line of 
a page. Ugly. The answer is that this is an undesirable feature in Microsoft 
Word and Publisher. Unless of course, someone from the company can show us 
how to stop this from happening!

0
3/3/2007 3:03:37 AM
publisher 21446 articles. 6 followers. Follow

3 Replies
348 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 35

Okay, I'll wade in cause I don't know what you're talking about and so I 
don't know what to say except..

hmmm maybe don't use "rule after paragragh",
hmmm format the heading yourself, save as a simple style, then select 
the new text and apply that style?
hmmm using rules is a doc thing ??? .... unless newer Pub versions are 
using that, in which case I can't help cause I only use the Pub I've 
used for more than 10 years that works fabulous for me. I'm just frugal.

Or actually..... I did a google .... IT'S A VIRUS YOU GOT!!!!!


BobishKindaGuy wrote:
> I set up a heading style that has a "rule after paragraph".
> Of course, it is quite often the first line on a page.
> On the previous page, I have a page break.
> The rule appears after the page break character, at the bottom of the page, 
> but I don't want a rule there.
> If I remove the rule, the heading style on the next page has no rule.
> It seems that the line of the document that contains the page break *must 
> be* the same style as the first line at the top of the next page.
> 
> By the way, this happens in Word and Publisher, and has been a source of 
> frustration with these programs for years.
> 
> So how do I get rid of the "rule after paragraph" that appears with the page 
> break on the previous page?
> 
> I know there is a workaround, but it is ugly: Don't use a style with a rule 
> at the top of a page. Instead, create a new style that is just a rule with a 
> very small font, and have a blank line of this style under the first line of 
> a page. Ugly. The answer is that this is an undesirable feature in Microsoft 
> Word and Publisher. Unless of course, someone from the company can show us 
> how to stop this from happening!
> 
0
dtp2webSPAM (302)
3/3/2007 3:54:20 AM
Simple. Make a style, format the style with a "rule after paragraph".
Make two pages in your document, with ordinary text boxes.
In the first page, hit a few returns until you're at the middle, then hit 
Ctrl-Enter.
Now you're at the top of the second page. Apply your style and type something.
Now you see the rule below your paragraph. Go back to the previous page and 
see a rule there. Turn on paragraph markings (that "P" symbol in the toolbar) 
and you'll see that the rule follows the page break character.


"Steve in NC" wrote:

> Okay, I'll wade in cause I don't know what you're talking about and so I 
> don't know what to say except..
> 
> hmmm maybe don't use "rule after paragragh",
> hmmm format the heading yourself, save as a simple style, then select 
> the new text and apply that style?
> hmmm using rules is a doc thing ??? .... unless newer Pub versions are 
> using that, in which case I can't help cause I only use the Pub I've 
> used for more than 10 years that works fabulous for me. I'm just frugal.
> 
> Or actually..... I did a google .... IT'S A VIRUS YOU GOT!!!!!
> 
> 
> BobishKindaGuy wrote:
> > I set up a heading style that has a "rule after paragraph".
> > Of course, it is quite often the first line on a page.
> > On the previous page, I have a page break.
> > The rule appears after the page break character, at the bottom of the page, 
> > but I don't want a rule there.
> > If I remove the rule, the heading style on the next page has no rule.
> > It seems that the line of the document that contains the page break *must 
> > be* the same style as the first line at the top of the next page.
> > 
> > By the way, this happens in Word and Publisher, and has been a source of 
> > frustration with these programs for years.
> > 
> > So how do I get rid of the "rule after paragraph" that appears with the page 
> > break on the previous page?
> > 
> > I know there is a workaround, but it is ugly: Don't use a style with a rule 
> > at the top of a page. Instead, create a new style that is just a rule with a 
> > very small font, and have a blank line of this style under the first line of 
> > a page. Ugly. The answer is that this is an undesirable feature in Microsoft 
> > Word and Publisher. Unless of course, someone from the company can show us 
> > how to stop this from happening!
> > 
> 
0
3/3/2007 5:31:13 PM
The root of your problem in Word as well as Publisher seems to be that you
are forcing manual breaks and assuming that the keystroke (Ctrl+Enter) does
the same thing in both programs. It doesn't - manual page breaks in Word,
Section Breaks in Publisher. Manual Page Breaks are killers in Word - avoid
them altogether and your life will be much more pleasant :)

In fact, using the Enter key anywhere other than at the end of a paragraph
is bound to cause formatting issues and may even contribute to corruption of
the file. Unfortunately you can get away with it in short, one-and-done type
documents, which reinforces the habit and prevents users from investigating
& using the appropriate formatting to control text flow. I'm rather certain
that if you avoid using the "empty paras" to create white space that the
other issues will go away :)

There are a number of other options that work more effectively, but they
vary somewhat in the 2 apps because the apps work on different file
structures. As a part of your heading para styles apply Page Break Before
(Word) or Start in next Text Box (Publisher) as a formatting attribute for
those headings that need to start on the next page/box. In both programs
you'll find the appropriate features in Format>Paragraph>Line & Page Breaks.
The use of Spacing Before & Spacing After para formatting will also help
avoid this type of issue & as well a provide more precise control. Word also
provides Next Page Section Breaks from the Insert Menu.

Both programs provide the tools for making "incisions" in the text, it's a
matter of whether you choose the scalpels or the axes ;)

HTH |:>) 
Bob Jones 
[MVP] Office:Mac



On 3/3/07 12:31 PM, in article
AB90E7EC-4CC1-478F-B2B8-A6150EDAD83D@microsoft.com, "BobishKindaGuy"
<BobishKindaGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Simple. Make a style, format the style with a "rule after paragraph".
> Make two pages in your document, with ordinary text boxes.
> In the first page, hit a few returns until you're at the middle, then hit
> Ctrl-Enter.
> Now you're at the top of the second page. Apply your style and type something.
> Now you see the rule below your paragraph. Go back to the previous page and
> see a rule there. Turn on paragraph markings (that "P" symbol in the toolbar)
> and you'll see that the rule follows the page break character.
> 
> 
> "Steve in NC" wrote:
> 
>> Okay, I'll wade in cause I don't know what you're talking about and so I
>> don't know what to say except..
>> 
>> hmmm maybe don't use "rule after paragragh",
>> hmmm format the heading yourself, save as a simple style, then select
>> the new text and apply that style?
>> hmmm using rules is a doc thing ??? .... unless newer Pub versions are
>> using that, in which case I can't help cause I only use the Pub I've
>> used for more than 10 years that works fabulous for me. I'm just frugal.
>> 
>> Or actually..... I did a google .... IT'S A VIRUS YOU GOT!!!!!
>> 
>> 
>> BobishKindaGuy wrote:
>>> I set up a heading style that has a "rule after paragraph".
>>> Of course, it is quite often the first line on a page.
>>> On the previous page, I have a page break.
>>> The rule appears after the page break character, at the bottom of the page,
>>> but I don't want a rule there.
>>> If I remove the rule, the heading style on the next page has no rule.
>>> It seems that the line of the document that contains the page break *must
>>> be* the same style as the first line at the top of the next page.
>>> 
>>> By the way, this happens in Word and Publisher, and has been a source of
>>> frustration with these programs for years.
>>> 
>>> So how do I get rid of the "rule after paragraph" that appears with the page
>>> break on the previous page?
>>> 
>>> I know there is a workaround, but it is ugly: Don't use a style with a rule
>>> at the top of a page. Instead, create a new style that is just a rule with a
>>> very small font, and have a blank line of this style under the first line of
>>> a page. Ugly. The answer is that this is an undesirable feature in Microsoft
>>> Word and Publisher. Unless of course, someone from the company can show us
>>> how to stop this from happening!
>>> 
>> 

0
3/4/2007 2:09:33 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

"rule after paragraph" appears on previous page
I set up a heading style that has a "rule after paragraph". Of course, it is quite often the first line on a page. On the previous page, I have a page break. The rule appears after the page break character, at the bottom of the page, but I don't want a rule there. If I remove the rule, the heading style on the next page has no rule. It seems that the line of the document that contains the page break *must be* the same style as the first line at the top of the next page. By the way, this happens in Word and Publisher, and has been a source of frustration with these programs fo...