Using Risk+ with MSP 2007

We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool.  We have discovered that it works
approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003.  Has anyone else run
into this problem.  If so, is there a remedy?
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

My hunch this not a generic issue, but surely best that you consult with
the Risk+ people on this.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 02/03/10 18:08, Tom Mc wrote:
> We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool.  We have discovered that it works
> approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003.  Has anyone else run
> into this problem.  If so, is there a remedy?
0
Rob
3/2/2010 6:31:24 PM
We use Risk+ quite frequently in P2003, P2007 and P2010.  There is no
appreciable difference in performance between the patforms.

Might you have files accessed externally from a shared server?  We did find
network latency to be a problem on Master Projects stored out on the servers.
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"Tom Mc" wrote:

> We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool.  We have discovered that it works
> approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003.  Has anyone else run
> into this problem.  If so, is there a remedy?
I have tried on several instances with seveal machines and several files a
consistent and significant performance problem with P2007.  For example, I
have a small file with only 153 tasks and it takes 20 minutes to run 1000
samples.  I have found that other people have had similar performance
problems with P2007.

I run the simulation on a file stored on my desktop (local), so network
latency is not an issue.

Any other thoughts?   Thanks - Tom

"Jim Aksel" wrote:

> We use Risk+ quite frequently in P2003, P2007 and P2010.  There is no
> appreciable difference in performance between the patforms.
>
> Might you have files accessed externally from a shared server?  We did find
> network latency to be a problem on Master Projects stored out on the servers.
> --
> If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.
>
> Jim Aksel, MVP
>
> Check out my blog for more information:
> http://www.msprojectblog.com
>

> "Tom Mc" wrote:
>
> > We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool.  We have discovered that it works
> > approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003.  Has anyone else run
> > into this problem.  If so, is there a remedy?
I'd be curious to hear what the Risk+ people say on this?

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 04/03/10 18:37, Tom Mc wrote:
> I have tried on several instances with seveal machines and several files a
> consistent and significant performance problem with P2007.  For example, I
> have a small file with only 153 tasks and it takes 20 minutes to run 1000
> samples.  I have found that other people have had similar performance
> problems with P2007.
>
> I run the simulation on a file stored on my desktop (local), so network
> latency is not an issue.
>
> Any other thoughts?   Thanks - Tom
>
> "Jim Aksel" wrote:
>
>> We use Risk+ quite frequently in P2003, P2007 and P2010.  There is no
>> appreciable difference in performance between the patforms.
>>
>> Might you have files accessed externally from a shared server?  We did find
>> network latency to be a problem on Master Projects stored out on the servers.
>> --
>> If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.
>>
>> Jim Aksel, MVP
>>
>> Check out my blog for more information:
>> http://www.msprojectblog.com
>>

>> "Tom Mc" wrote:
>>
>>> We use Risk+ as a risk simulation tool.  We have discovered that it works
>>> approximately 20 times SLOWER in MSP 2007 than MSP 2003.  Has anyone else run
>>> into this problem.  If so, is there a remedy?
0
Rob
3/5/2010 7:59:45 AM
Tom Mc

Check your file(s) for any custom fields with a formula.  Remove them and
you should see an improvement in perf.

This will slow R+ significantly when running simulations.

AnthemAz

"Rob Schneider" wrote:

> I'd be curious to hear what the Risk+ people say on this?
>

> --rms
>
> www.rmschneider.com
>

> On 04/03/10 18:37, Tom Mc wrote:
> > I have tried on several instances with seveal machines and several files a
> > consistent and significant performance problem with P2007.  For example, I
> > have a small file with only 153 tasks and it takes 20 minutes to run 1000
> > samples.  I have found that other people have had similar performance
> > problems with P2007.
> >
> > I run the simulation on a file stored on my desktop (local), so network
> > latency is not an issue.
> >
> > Any other thoughts?   Thanks - Tom
> >
> > "Jim Aksel" wrote:
> >
> >> We use Risk+ quite frequently in P2003, P2007 and P2010.  There is no
> >> appreciable difference in performance between the patforms.
> >>
> >> Might you have files accessed externally from a shared server?  We did find
> >> network latency to be a problem on Master Projects stored out on the servers.
> >> --
> >> If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.
> >>
> >> Jim Aksel, MVP
> >>
> >> Check out my blog for more information:
> >> http://www.msprojectblog.com

> .

Thanks for a good suggestion.  However, it didn't seem to make a difference
when I disabled all the custom field formulas.  It still took about 20
minutes for 1000 samples of a small file (only 153 tasks).

"AnthemAZ" wrote:

> Tom Mc
>
> Check your file(s) for any custom fields with a formula.  Remove them and
> you should see an improvement in perf.
>
> This will slow R+ significantly when running simulations.
>
> AnthemAz
>
> "Rob Schneider" wrote:
>
> > I'd be curious to hear what the Risk+ people say on this?
> >

> > --rms
> >
> > www.rmschneider.com
> >

> > On 04/03/10 18:37, Tom Mc wrote:
> > > I have tried on several instances with seveal machines and several files a
> > > consistent and significant performance problem with P2007.  For example, I
> > > have a small file with only 153 tasks and it takes 20 minutes to run 1000
> > > samples.  I have found that other people have had similar performance
> > > problems with P2007.
> > >
> > > I run the simulation on a file stored on my desktop (local), so network
> > > latency is not an issue.
> > >
> > > Any other thoughts?   Thanks - Tom

> > .

Tom Mc

Can you share your file?  I'd like to look deeper for you as I've used R+
for many years and there are some tests I can run to isolate the performance.

I'm using MSP 03.  If available, sent to wjordan@gdc4s.com

"Tom Mc" wrote:

> Thanks for a good suggestion.  However, it didn't seem to make a difference
> when I disabled all the custom field formulas.  It still took about 20
> minutes for 1000 samples of a small file (only 153 tasks).
>
> "AnthemAZ" wrote:
>
> > Tom Mc
> >
> > Check your file(s) for any custom fields with a formula.  Remove them and
> > you should see an improvement in perf.
> >
> > This will slow R+ significantly when running simulations.
> >
> > AnthemAz
> >
> > "Rob Schneider" wrote:
> >
> > > I'd be curious to hear what the Risk+ people say on this?
> > >

> > > --rms
> > >
> > > www.rmschneider.com

> > > .

I tried a test as follows:
I created a brand new file from scratch.  Added 200 tasks - each of 20 days
duration.  Linked them all as one long sequence.  Added basic risk loading -
i.e., "initialized most likely", then "quick setup".  I set the calc method
to "manual".  Thus, I now have a very small and simplistic file (no formulas,
no custom fields, no baselines, etc., etc.).  It  STILL took 20 minutes for
1000 samples.

BTW... I spoke to Risk+ tech spt.  They were unable to give me any
worthwhile advice - except to "talk to Microsoft".  I really don't want to
pay money to get an answer.

Thoughts?

"AnthemAZ" wrote:

> Tom Mc
>
> Can you share your file?  I'd like to look deeper for you as I've used R+
> for many years and there are some tests I can run to isolate the performance.
>
> I'm using MSP 03.  If available, sent to wjordan@gdc4s.com
>

> "Tom Mc" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for a good suggestion.  However, it didn't seem to make a difference
> > when I disabled all the custom field formulas.  It still took about 20
> > minutes for 1000 samples of a small file (only 153 tasks).
> >
> > "AnthemAZ" wrote:
> >
> > > Tom Mc
> > >
> > > Check your file(s) for any custom fields with a formula.  Remove them and
> > > you should see an improvement in perf.
> > >
> > > This will slow R+ significantly when running simulations.
> > >
> > > AnthemAz

We had been warned by our in house testers that Ms Project 2007 and Risk+
didn't appear to be completely compatible (extended run times, random errors,
program hanging forever).  When our corporation moved to office 2007, a small
group of schedulers and engineers kept Ms Project 2003 instead of moving to
2007.  On a monthly basis, we run Risk+ simulations on relatively large
schedules (7,000 to 10,000 tasks), with 2,000 to 4,000 iterations.  These
runs take 2 to 8 hours on a multiprocessor HP engineering workstation, and
are consistent enough that the time variations between runs of a given
schedule is less than five percent, depending primarily on what else is
running during the Risk+ simulation.  Our simulation runs are primarily done
to generate S-Curves & completion confidence intervals for particular tasks.
Things that we’ve found that cause a large jump in run time is to include
“Duration Analysis”, Cost Analysis”, “Critical Path Analysis”, and
“Sensitivity Analysis”.

My own history with Risk+ started before Deltek acquired the product from CS
Solutions.  I tried working with the CS Solutions programming team assigned
to support Risk+.  What I was eventually told by the team lead was that when
CS Solutions acquired the product from ProjectGear Inc, they got the source
code, with little knowledge of how or why it worked, and as long as the
product sold, weren’t willing to even work on known bugs.  When Deltek
acquired the product, we still had maintenance contracts, and tried again to
work with the Deltek developers, with the same result – about the only change
they were willing to make was to replace “CS Solutions” name in the product
with “Deltek Systems”.

The current drive at our corporate level is to move to Oracle Primavera, but
with our customers are still requesting Ms Project 2003 schedules with Risk+
analysis, we have to convince our customers that Oracle will provide better
long term support than Deltek has provided.

"Tom Mc" wrote:

> I tried a test as follows:
> I created a brand new file from scratch.  Added 200 tasks - each of 20 days
> duration.  Linked them all as one long sequence.  Added basic risk loading -
> i.e., "initialized most likely", then "quick setup".  I set the calc method
> to "manual".  Thus, I now have a very small and simplistic file (no formulas,
> no custom fields, no baselines, etc., etc.).  It  STILL took 20 minutes for
> 1000 samples.
>
> BTW... I spoke to Risk+ tech spt.  They were unable to give me any
> worthwhile advice - except to "talk to Microsoft".  I really don't want to
> pay money to get an answer.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> "AnthemAZ" wrote:
>
> > Tom Mc
> >
> > Can you share your file?  I'd like to look deeper for you as I've used R+
> > for many years and there are some tests I can run to isolate the performance.
> >
> > I'm using MSP 03.  If available, sent to wjordan@gdc4s.com
> >

> > "Tom Mc" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for a good suggestion.  However, it didn't seem to make a difference
> > > when I disabled all the custom field formulas.  It still took about 20
> > > minutes for 1000 samples of a small file (only 153 tasks).

Thanks Jon.  You are essentially confirming what was becoming evident with
Deltek - that there is no product development nor fixes for current issues,
particularly with MSP 2007.  I ask a Risk+ tech support person about any
plans for collaborating with Microsoft and fixing the MSP 2007 compatibility
issue and he said "no".  Our only near term solution appears to be to keep a
copy of MSP 2003 going.

"Jon M. Kelley" wrote:

> [...]
> > I created a brand new file from scratch.  Added 200 tasks - each of 20 days
> > duration.  Linked them all as one long sequence.  Added basic risk loading -
> > i.e., "initialized most likely", then "quick setup".  I set the calc method
> > to "manual".  Thus, I now have a very small and simplistic file (no formulas,
> > no custom fields, no baselines, etc., etc.).  It  STILL took 20 minutes for
> > 1000 samples.
> >
> > BTW... I spoke to Risk+ tech spt.  They were unable to give me any
> > worthwhile advice - except to "talk to Microsoft".  I really don't want to
> > pay money to get an answer.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > "AnthemAZ" wrote:
> >
> > > Tom Mc
> > >
> > > Can you share your file?  I'd like to look deeper for you as I've used R+
> > > for many years and there are some tests I can run to isolate the performance.

Export WPX4 Address book to MS Word 2007?
Is it possible to transfer my WordPerfect X4 address book to Word 2007 for use in addressing envelopes etc.? I have the home and school version of 07. Thanks, Rich Mercer Word doesn't have an address book. It utilises the contacts list of Outlook, which of course the student version of Office does not include. It *may* be possible to extract the data from your WP address book to a Word table to use as a data source for mail merge, but I suspect you may have to do this from Word Perfect. If you still have access to WP, check if it has an option to export to a comma delim...

Configuring Outlook 2007
Hi, I was trying to configure Outlook 2007 to access my mails. I am facing this problem continuosly- If I try to access my hotmail account, it always goes into Offline mode, though I am able to access it through Windows Live. Once or twice, I have been able to download few mails, but never more than than that. The OS is Vista. Thanks ________________________________________ " If you think you can, and if you think you can't, then you are right"- Henry ford Are you using the Outlook Connector? if not, you need it - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

How can I use my calendar and other features wo using Outlook emai
I have Windows7 OS. I upgraded to MSO 2007. I cannot access the calendar, etc. without setting up an email profile which my ISP will not allow using the email address. How can I use my calendar and other features without using Outlook email? I could use the calendar on previous versions without setting up an email account. Why can't you use Outlook w/o a mail profile? What happens when you try? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft....

outlook 2007 no problem receiving email but problem sending
I have no problem sending and receiving emails when connected at work but from home, I can receive new messages but there is a problem sending. I get the message Sending reported error 0x80042109. Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue receiving this message contact your server administrator or ISP. Any ideas please. Thanks, Charlie Have you verified with your corporate mail admin already that the settings have been correct for usage outside of the company network and if this is indeed fully supported by your corporation? If so,...

Using Publisher for long reports
Hi. I write long reports (50 pages) in which layout and style are very important. I'm thinking of switching from Word to Publisher since Word's management of pictures and layout drives me wild. Can anyone advise me if Publisher might be the right choice? Does anyone have some long document templates they could show me? -- Giles It sounds like Publisher would be perfect for you since you indication that the layout is important. I can't help with a sample tho because (1) the longest I've done is about 24 pages and (2) my newsletters contain personal contact information and...

Can I delete OE and just use Microsoft Outlook 2002
I would like to delete Outlook Express is this advisable? I am going to be using Microsoft Outlook 2002 which I recieved w/Toshiba PDA and already have it set up on the same PC as OE. Can I use Microsoft Outlook for multiple e- mail accounts? Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257824 With Outlook, you can integrate and manage e-mail from multiple e-mail accounts, personal and group calendars, contacts, and tasks. "Delia Marlowe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:780901c4025...

How do I open doc's from Publisher 2000 when I am using Pub 2003?
I recently purchased Publisher 2003 and can't seem to edit any document from a previous version. Are you running Norton AV? Try disabling NAV Script Blocking ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Start NAV Click Options. If a menu appears when you click Options, then click NortonAntiVirus. The Norton AntiVirus Options dialog box appears. Click Script Blocking. Uncheck Enable Script Blocking (recommended). Click OK. Restart the computer if prompted to do so. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "GAR" <GAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01222D01-7A00-4...

Referencing .NET 2.0 but end result uses .NET 3.5
I'm using DevStudio 2005 and I have a project that references System.dll ver 2.0.50727 and I accidentally compiled code that used an overload that only exists in version 3.5 because my intellisense showed it. I tried to compile it on another machine that never had the .NET 3.5 install and it wouldn't compile and the intellisense had that version of the overload yet both references looked identical; looking at ver 2.0 of System.dll The method in question was WaitHandle.WaitOne. ..NET 2.0 WaitOne() WaitOne(Int32, Boolean) WaitOne(TimeSpan, Boolean) ..NET 3.5 WaitOne...

Can't Change Text direction in office 2007
Hi, i have installed office 2007 ( Pro Plus Edition) on a machine. i have faced a strange thing that i have never seen. the option of changing text direction from right to left or left to right does not exist. it come by default with ltr direction. What's the Problem ? Hi, You need to enable a right-to-left language, such as Hebrew or Arabic. To do this, perform the following steps: 1. Close Word. 2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft Office, click Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings. 3. In the "Available...

Blank Project on MS Project Pro 2007 startup
Does anyone have a code snippet for closing the blank project that is opened when opening project? Or is there a checkbox I have missed that will do this. Hello WJM, You can set Project to open the last file on startup in Tools > Options, General tab. However, I believe there is currently an error in Project 2007 where opening the last file on startup causes an incorrect error message. When you open an existing project plan the Project1 file is closed for you. I guess I'm not sure that a clicking a button to run a macro is any better than using the built in close ...

Using a drop down box to select all results
I have a summary page which pulls data together from several sheets an displays summary statistics etc. I want to be able to use a drop down list to select particular product and only show data relating to those products - so far so good. But ..... having put in my drop down and referenced it in my formulae now cannot show the summary data for ALL products. Is there a wildcard that can be used in drop downs to select all -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could add (All) to your list of products, and check for that selection in the formula. For example: =IF(A2=...

Can't save new contacts in Outlook 2007
When I try to save new contacts in Outlook 2007, I get an error message: "Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid." It's been suggested that I clear the forms cache but cannot find how to do that in 2007 (recommended link was for 2003 version). Can anyone help with that or is there another possible solution? P.S. I am working off line in Outlook, if that matters. Also, I can revise and save revisions to existing contacts with no problem. HJ Why are you starting a new thread? Suggest following the recommendations in ...

using interop to create document word 2007
I am using c# and word interop to open a mailmerge document fill it in and then display it to the user. Once i display it the c# app has nothing more to do with the word document. The user can edit it as needed and then save it as a pdf and that is fine. The issue is I would like to set the default path for the document and it could be a network drive or sharepoint and will change every time also it will never be where the original document was opened. ...

Can I use Free Excel Viewer 97/2000 in Windows XP?
Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda The Viewer for Office 97/2000 works fine under Windows XP. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:11:01 -0700, "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with >Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, >that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda An...

using excel from dotnet
situation: I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop Also need to write extracted data to excel. problem: At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12. (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.) I need to work at both locations. can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not) can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but not the latest) interface? i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and just copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not cop...

Remove a document from a workspace in Excel 2007
I have a user who created a workspace and included a file that he now wants to remove from the workspace. Is there a way to remove one file from a workspace? Thank you. ...

how to use outlook w/o exchange server?
Trying to use outlook and cannot send/receive email. error msg 0x8004010F. I work from home, have no employess, no need to share address book. Just trying to use it w/ a new PDA I have. The exchange server appears to be a fee based service - I don't know. I just want to use Outlook to schedule my appts, keep contacts and use email. SMScott <SMScott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Trying to use outlook and cannot send/receive email. error msg > 0x8004010F. I work from home, have no employess, no need to share > address book. Just trying to use it w/ a new PDA ...

creating a program that uses data from a sensor....
Hello, I want to create an MFC program that uses parameter values passed to it from a meter (specifically the resistance in ohms of resisters in an electronic circuit). What are the hardware components that would be needed? And what MFC class(es) would I use to accomplish this? Thanks, RABMissouri2006 On 21 Oct 2006 08:10:50 -0700, "RAB" <rabmissouri@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hello, > >I want to create an MFC program that uses parameter values passed to it >from a meter (specifically the resistance in ohms of resisters in an >electronic circuit). What are the ha...

how do i ignore a number when using MODE function?
Hi I have a list of numbers that I want to find the MODE in: 0 0 1 2 0 0 3 3 2 2 2 0 0 But I want to be able to ignore the Zeros How do i go about doing this so the mode function gives me the #2 only Thank you -- Dev4me ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dev4me's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29709 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498091 =MODE(IF(A1:A20<>0,A1:A20)) which is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the...

Using VBA to find a value and select a range
I am trying to write a macro that will let me find a specific vale in a specific column, then select part of the row that the value is in, beginnign with a column 31 cells away from the column that the specific value is in. Someone suggested to me that I use an IF statement, but this is all I know about that: IF [value in column B] is “Grand Total” Then select from column AF to the end of the array in that row and copy it and paste a transpose of the values starting in cell I9 of worksheet X. What is the best way for me to accomplish this goal? Does this macro do what you...

Using TEXT and &TEXT
I'm familiar with the TEXT function, but sometimes a number will display incorrectly when I format numbers to display with a comma if 4 digits or more. For example, TEXT(F1,"0,0") will display 10 thru 999 correctly and displays 1000 correctly as 1,000, but displays 1 thru 9 as 01, 02, etc. Also wondering how to format part of a TEXT formula to underline, and bold or color selected words. Maybe you want: =text(f1,"#,###") or =text(f1,"#,##0") If this doesn't help, maybe you could post the values and what you want to see for a few exa...

Inserting a hyperlink when using Smart Art
Is it possible to insert a hyperlink when using smart art?? ...

Change listbox text size in Excel 2007
Using data validation list box function to display a named range, How can the text size be increased when displayed in the list box, How can the number of records displayed be increased from the default This can not be done. See link for further detail and possible workarounds: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Maxwell Crompton" wrote: > Using data validation list box function to display a named range, > How can the text size be increased when displayed in ...

Problem with empty cells when creating chart using vba
Hello, I am facing difficulties to create a chart from a sheet containing empty cells (I use Excel 2003 SP2). My sheet looks similar to this: A B C 1 0.1 2 0.2 25 34 3 0.3 23 27 4 0.4 24 6 5 0.5 25 16 6 0.6 27 21 7 0.7 Column A contains data (some depth in my case). Each cell in column A contains data. Column B and C contain some measurements made at the depth indicated in column A. I need to combine two graphics on one chart: the content of B in function of A and the content of C in function of A. The ...

Sharepoint 2007 Vacation Template
Hello, I am using Sharepoint 2007 with the vacation template for our company vacation request calendars. I would like to add or modify a field in the request form so that they can put the total number of days they will be out. This way when we export the spreadsheet we can just sum that column for that user. That is unless someone has a better idea on how to pull accurate time reporting out of this calendar. Thanks, Dave ...