Using mixed Resource Types

With the company we have implemented EPM and infrequently the large complex
plans fail to 'publish' into PWA.  One of the causes thought is that these
plans have both cost and work type resources within the same task.

Is it good practice to separate these resource types into different tasks?
--
joooles
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hello joooles,

It seems it's a bad pratice. Please see the posts I noticed several month
ago:

G�rard Ducouret
------------------------------------
If we assign a Cost resource to a task (as the only one resource on that
task) and then we enter some % Complete, Project Pro 2007 calculates the
Actual Cost correctly.

If we assign a Cost resource to a task besides a Work resource, and then we
enter some % Complete, Project Pro 2007 does not calculate any Actual Cost
for the Cost resource.

Answer 1:

Because of this and because Cost Resources inappropriately affect duration,
you need to define a separate task for cost resources in order to use them
effectively.

Answer 2: Eric M. Zenz (MSFT) <ezenz@microsoft.om>

% Complete functions differently when the assignment only contains a cost
resource vs. a mixture of cost and work or material.  This is by design.

We can only infer that the % complete refers to the completion of
expenditure of money if the only assignment is a cost assignment.  When the
assignments are mixed, we must assume or infer that the task % complete
applies to work progress and not cost progress for legacy reasons.  The
workaround you describe is the suggested best practice use.

-------------------------------------

"joooles" <joooles@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de
news: D9B9D1E0-1B58-4BBF-9AE8-BB3351753EE6@microsoft.com...
> With the company we have implemented EPM and infrequently the large
> complex
> plans fail to 'publish' into PWA.  One of the causes thought is that these
> plans have both cost and work type resources within the same task.
>
> Is it good practice to separate these resource types into different tasks?
> --
> joooles

jooles --

To expand on what Gerard told you in his post, Microsoft officially
recommends that you DO NOT assign Cost resources to tasks on which you also
assign enterprise resources who report progress from PWA.  Microsoft
released this recommendation in the summer of 2008 after they released SP1
and the Infrastructure Update.  I think you see that this recommendation
needlessly complicates the user of Cost resources, but at least your problem
confirms that Microsoft's recommendation is solid.  Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"joooles" <joooles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> With the company we have implemented EPM and infrequently the large
> complex
> plans fail to 'publish' into PWA.  One of the causes thought is that these
> plans have both cost and work type resources within the same task.
>
> Is it good practice to separate these resource types into different tasks?
> --
> joooles

0
Dale

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01CA84BE.6DF9CAA0

Hi joooles,

Next time, try posting on the microsoft.public.project.server newsgroup =
(forum).  Please see FAQ Item: 24. Project Newsgroups.   FAQs, companion =
products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web =
address: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm=20

Mike Glen
Project MVP

  "G=E9rard Ducouret" <ducouret.gerardREMOVETHIS@THATfree.fr> wrote in =
message news:eG6KcKJhKHA.4872@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
  Hello joooles,

  It seems it's a bad pratice. Please see the posts I noticed several =
month=20
  ago:

  G=E9rard Ducouret
  ------------------------------------
  If we assign a Cost resource to a task (as the only one resource on =
that=20
  task) and then we enter some % Complete, Project Pro 2007 calculates =
the=20
  Actual Cost correctly.

  If we assign a Cost resource to a task besides a Work resource, and =
then we=20
  enter some % Complete, Project Pro 2007 does not calculate any Actual =
Cost=20
  for the Cost resource.

  Answer 1:

  Because of this and because Cost Resources inappropriately affect =
duration,=20
  you need to define a separate task for cost resources in order to use =
them=20
  effectively.

  Answer 2: Eric M. Zenz (MSFT) <ezenz@microsoft.om>

  % Complete functions differently when the assignment only contains a =
cost=20
  resource vs. a mixture of cost and work or material.  This is by =
design.

  We can only infer that the % complete refers to the completion of=20
  expenditure of money if the only assignment is a cost assignment.  =
When the=20
  assignments are mixed, we must assume or infer that the task % =
complete=20
  applies to work progress and not cost progress for legacy reasons.  =
The=20
  workaround you describe is the suggested best practice use.

  -------------------------------------

  "joooles" <joooles@discussions.microsoft.com> a =E9crit dans le =
message de=20
  news: D9B9D1E0-1B58-4BBF-9AE8-BB3351753EE6@microsoft.com...
  > With the company we have implemented EPM and infrequently the large=20
  > complex
  > plans fail to 'publish' into PWA.  One of the causes thought is that =
these
  > plans have both cost and work type resources within the same task.
  >
  > Is it good practice to separate these resource types into different =
tasks?
  > --=20
  > joooles=20

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01CA84BE.6DF9CAA0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3DWindows-1252 =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16466"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Hi joooles,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Next time, try posting on the=20
microsoft.public.project.server newsgroup (forum).&nbsp; Please see FAQ =
Item:=20
24. Project Newsgroups.&nbsp;&nbsp; FAQs, companion products and other =
useful=20
Project information can be seen at this web address: <A=20
href=3D"http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm">http://project.mvps.org/faqs.ht=
m</A>=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Mike Glen<BR>Project MVP</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"G=E9rard Ducouret" &lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:ducouret.gerardREMOVETHIS@THATfree.fr&#10;CTRL + Click =
to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:ducouret.gerardREMOVETHIS@THATfree.fr">ducouret.gerardREMO=
VETHIS@THATfree.fr</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:eG6KcKJhKHA.4872@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl">news:eG6KcKJhKHA.4872=
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>Hello=20
  joooles,<BR><BR>It seems it's a bad pratice. Please see the posts I =
noticed=20
  several month <BR>ago:<BR><BR>G=E9rard=20
  Ducouret<BR>------------------------------------<BR>If we assign a =
Cost=20
  resource to a task (as the only one resource on that <BR>task) and =
then we=20
  enter some % Complete, Project Pro 2007 calculates the <BR>Actual Cost =

  correctly.<BR><BR>If we assign a Cost resource to a task besides a =
Work=20
  resource, and then we <BR>enter some % Complete, Project Pro 2007 does =
not=20
  calculate any Actual Cost <BR>for the Cost =
resource.<BR><BR><BR><BR>Answer=20
  1:<BR><BR>Because of this and because Cost Resources inappropriately =
affect=20
  duration, <BR>you need to define a separate task for cost resources in =
order=20
  to use them <BR>effectively.<BR><BR>Answer 2: Eric M. Zenz (MSFT) =
&lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:ezenz@microsoft.om">ezenz@microsoft.om</A>&gt;<BR><BR>% =
Complete=20
  functions differently when the assignment only contains a cost =
<BR>resource=20
  vs. a mixture of cost and work or material.&nbsp; This is by =
design.<BR><BR>We=20
  can only infer that the % complete refers to the completion of =
<BR>expenditure=20
  of money if the only assignment is a cost assignment.&nbsp; When the=20
  <BR>assignments are mixed, we must assume or infer that the task % =
complete=20
  <BR>applies to work progress and not cost progress for legacy =
reasons.&nbsp;=20
  The <BR>workaround you describe is the suggested best practice=20
  =
use.<BR><BR>-------------------------------------<BR><BR><BR><BR>"joooles=
"=20
  &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:joooles@discussions.microsoft.com">joooles@discussions.mic=
rosoft.com</A>&gt;=20
  a =E9crit dans le message de <BR>news: <A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:D9B9D1E0-1B58-4BBF-9AE8-BB3351753EE6@microsoft.com">D9B9D1=
E0-1B58-4BBF-9AE8-BB3351753EE6@microsoft.com</A>...<BR>&gt;=20
  With the company we have implemented EPM and infrequently the large =
<BR>&gt;=20
  complex<BR>&gt; plans fail to 'publish' into PWA.&nbsp; One of the =
causes=20
  thought is that these<BR>&gt; plans have both cost and work type =
resources=20
  within the same task.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Is it good practice to separate =
these=20
  resource types into different tasks?<BR>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; joooles=20
<BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01CA84BE.6DF9CAA0--

0
Mike

Vlookup in vba
Hi I have the following snippet of code: Sheets("mdata").Select Range("E1").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "RVU" Range("E2").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(RC[-1],rvu!R[-1]C[-4]:R[7238]C[-3],2)),0,VLOOKUP(RC[-1],rvu!R[-1]C[-4]:R[7238]C[-3],2))" Range("E2").Select Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("E2:E" & LastRow), Type:=xlFillDefault This fills about 5,000 rows with look up data from the rvu ws, and puts in 0 if #N/A is obtained. HOWEVER, if I was ...

Does anyone use ArcServe 11.5 for Restoring
We have a problem when restoring a the exchange database with Arcserve 11.5. This works the first time 26 hours after the backup. Any idea? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Restoring exchange database" <Restoringexchangedatabase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD4AC97D-782E-4CCB-9962-95F8B089F2D6@microsoft.com... > We have a problem when restoring a the exchange database with Arcserve > 11.5. > This works the first time 26 hours after the backup. ...

importing data using a macro
hi i wish to import 300 fields of data into a spreadsheet from a text file, but since spreadsheets are only 250 fields wide. i was wondering if there was anyway of writing a macro that could import the data vertically, so its all in one column or transpose it during importation. the cut and paste method is possible but i have 200 of these text files to import into this spreasheet and don't think this method would be best. thank you time and any effort that you spend on this matter its been much appreciated Jo I suggest you use Access to do this kind of job. With Access, you ca...

Using Service
We’ve been using CRM 1.2 Sales Professional. We want to use the CRM Customer Service product (actually Suite Professional) now but our service mgr is hung up on one requirement. Currently, when a customer sends a request or question to support@ourcompany.com, they get a standard template email BUT it has a ticket number in the subject line. I’ve been told that we must have this functionality with CRM. I’ve also been told that this is a complex customization that would not be easy. This seems like very basic, common functionality. Is this really a complex customization? Ple...

how to get the row and col count of a TMGrid using sendmessage?
I have a 3rd party application which uses TMGrid, I want to get the row and col count of this TMGrid using SendMessage. The Parent Control is a TTabSheet. Anyone know how to do it? I tried the LVM_ message, but failed. Hi, try to find out what messages this control can handle, e.g. with Spy++. Just give it a try,... Regards Kerem -- ----------------------- Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue Kerem G�mr�kc� Microsoft Live Space: http://kerem-g.spaces.live.com/ Latest Open-Source Projects: http://entwicklung.junetz.de ----------------------- "This reply is provided as ...

using outlook,how can i check my message has been sent?
after you send a message check in sent items folder Sharath "learner" <learner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:060AC8D3-B30C-4A0C-8E4E-454D5480F672@microsoft.com... > ...

Using Split Window with CDHtmlDialog
Hello, I'm just curious if anyone has tackled this issue in the past. I have a split window application that is working fine with regular form dialogs. But there are a couple views that I 'would have' liked (although I'm about to give up) to have been HTML based, so I add an IDD_FORMVIEW dialog, then used the MFC Wizard to add a class with base class CDHtmlDialog, instead of CFormView class like my other dialogs. I'm still trying to become familiar with basic C++ concepts here, so excuse my ignorance, but what happens at this point is that the Window does't get filled...

Defined range using more than one column
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to have two or more columns in a defined range. I want to have a dropdown validation list where two or more columns of data is displayed on the dropdown list. When an item is selected in the dropdown list only one of the columns data is displayed in the cell. Is this possible and how is this accomplished? Or if there is a different approach I should go down please let me know. Thanks Pat You can have a defined range with two or more columns, but that won't show up in Data=>Validation using the list option. You might want to look at the Cont...

File Services
Hi all, We are currently running a Win2k3 server running our DNS, AD, DHCP and Fileservices. Our CTO does not like the way our file system is setup and is looking for new solutions. SOme of his issues are Security, Difficulty finding documents - including those of employees that have left where you can't ask the person where they put something, along with some structural issues as in seeing folders staff doesn't have access to. Some solutions that came to mind were using an encryption software such as PGP for certain folders such as the Management etc. For search pr...

Paste chart to word-lose bold type
When I paste my chart into msword, the bold type on the x and y axis is lost, though the title remains in bold. Kate, After copying, open Paint and paste it there. From Paint copy it again and paste it in Word. The format will remain. Regards, Jaleel "kate" wrote: > When I paste my chart into msword, the bold type on the x and y axis is lost, > though the title remains in bold. ...

Using modal window??
Hi I have several dialogs that interact with each other through buttons. When a certain dialog appears I want it to be the focus until it is destroyed. The user should not be able to click anywhere in the application apart from this dialog. I currently have this working but the user can still click on the originating dialog, any ideas? Thanks in advance Seems like you are using Modeless dialogs, why don't you use modal dialogs instead? AliR. "wallacej" <jamie_r_wallace@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:1116514194.474219.83260@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi...

E-mail merge using Word
Simply stated, I have completed the e-mail merge using Word's merge task wizzard. All looks good. The final window asks me to map the To field, Subject line, etc and I hit OK. Then.....no e-mails are sent. I used my own e-mail as a test and recieved nothing. I am using Outlook 2003. Does anyone know why the e-mails are not being sent?? What do you mean "map the To: field?" What do you select? What happens? Hw is your Outlook Address Book configured? What is your default mail program? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Fred" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com...

using old Gift certificates on our new RMS
Ok, I have just transfered to RMS from another POS system. We couldn't export our old gift certificates to the new RMS, but they are still out there and being redeemed. The problem is they have already been sold and we need them in our system. We have tried a discount on a sale, but that only takes money off the sub total and shorts the taxes owed on the total. How do we get our old gift certificates in our new system without taking in money and effecting our bookkeeping, and having allowing our customers to use them. We also tried to enter them as vouchers and in a payment optio...

Problem having VC++ reading from Internet Using session.OpenURL
I have a program that use to work but now doesn't. It's a simple c++ program which reads a website if you supply an URL. When it worked I was using a DSL interconnection, however now that I'm trying to use a dial up connection I no longer is working. It's a simple program which uses the following to open the connection to the URL: pFile1 = session.OpenURL(url, 0, INTERNET_FLAG_TRANSFER_BINARY | INTERNET_FLAG_KEEP_CONNECTION| INTERNET_FLAG_RELOAD |INTERNET_FLAG_DONT_CACHE); Now everytime I check pFile1 it is a zero. What am I doing wrong, or is there something which got...

save a document where fields be used but not altered
I have careated a documents that need to be saved but not as read only. The feilds are needed, such as a form. How can I save this material so the format remains but text box alterations and movement areno longer on the page. There isn't a surefire way of locking the form, but you might want to try this as a workaround. Once the form is complete, group all elements together. Then reduce the viewing size down so the entire pasteboard area is visible on your monitor. Draw a single line from the top of the pasteboard area to the bottom and then a second line from side to side. Move t...

What kind of function should I use?
Hi there, I was wondering what type of function should I use in the xml reports for the receipts. I need a rounding function but I can't find info on which language or standard they use. Please help! DO NOT DELETE THIS QUESTION PLEASE! Thank you Julien ------=_NextPart_0001_207E425D Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Good morning Julien, Thank you for posting your rounding question. Can you please let me know what you are trying to round? Or is this related to your question about discounts? Todd Berger Microsoft Online Support Engineer Get Secure!...

How can I set a cookbook using publisher?
I need help setting up a cookbook for my church can anyone help churchlady wrote: > I need help setting up a cookbook for my church can > anyone help ================================ File / Page Setup / Booklet / Landscape / OK. Automatically insert Pages? Yes. For additional pages...go to...Insert / Page.... or type...Ctrl+Shift+N -- John Inzer Specifically what kind of help do you need? Have you decided on what you wanted the end product to look like? The size, how it's going to be assembled, etc. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "churchlady" &l...

Select which file to use in Integration Manager
I would like to be able to select the file that is to be imported with Integration Manager at the time the integration is run. Is that possible? Or can it only be set up for one file. Thanks for any help. Bob You can use vbscript to prompt you for the file name. You could use IM to use the standard Graphical UI to open file etc but that can get complicated... HS "Bob Harrison" <bobh@tds.net> wrote in message news:1139499714.660048.85750@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I would like to be able to select the file that is to be imported with > Integration Manager at th...

Business Portal and SSL using Sharepoint.
Ok, I am having a difficult time getting SSL to work on my Intranet Business Portal website. I am using my own CA authority, and I created the certificate but I cannot get SSL to work with BP. Has anyone done this before. I would love to talk to someone who has actually implemented this after installation of BP. Thanks in advance. Can you provide more information about the difficulties you are having? "Lucia" <lfonseca@qpsemi.com> wrote in message news:ubaCoDMvGHA.4384@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Ok, I am having a difficult time getting SSL to work on my Intranet ...

Passing a value in VBA using an offset
I have code that executes when I double click on a cell. The code inserts the data validation source into a combobox to ease the input choice. It refers to the cell I double clicked as "target" I want to add a new feature. Before anything else happens, I want to filter the data validation source (many of the entries are for dates that don't apply. the cell above "target" has a date. I want to copy the month of that date into a fixed cell ("A1") and then use that date in an advanced filter on the data validation source. Hope you're with me so far. T...

CMOS Battery Type
Could anyone assist, I wish to make sure I get correct replacement CMOS battery before I remove old one. My board is ECS Sis 735KS5A Is there a reference chart available please, unless you know type. Thank You Roger in UK. "Roger" <Monkey@Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:Oeihamo#KHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Could anyone assist, I wish to make sure I get correct replacement CMOS > battery before I remove old one. My board is ECS Sis 735KS5A Is there a > reference chart available please, unless you know type. > > Thank You ...

Outlook Web Attachments of specific type gone, only paper clip pre
Our voicemail system integrates with exchange via Native POP3 Connector. All voicemails are attached to emails as voice.lvp. In the beginning the attachments were there, now they have disappeared. OWA is configured to allow all attachments and the ext. is not in either level 1 or 2 types. The email displays a paper clip showing an attachment but once you open the email, the attachment field is comepletely blank. I have tried everything. We are having a similar issue that has started since we installed SP3 on our exchange server. But it is with random attachments. I have searched and ...

How to get the type code for a custom entity ? MSCRM v3
I created a new entity Called PRITem. When using theSiteMap.XML I need to specifity the EntityType to show it. Ity appears (Automatically) in the workspace. But i can't use it in the SiteMap.XML because i can't find the number. For example: <SubArea Id="nav_activities" EntityType="4200" Icon="/_imgs/ico_16_4212.gif" Url="/Workplace/home_activities.aspx" /> <SubArea Id="nav_calendar" Icon="/_imgs/area/18_calendar.gif" ResourceId="Homepage_Calendar" Url="/workplace/home_calendar.aspx" Clie...

Spreadsheet (use for test)
I need help (direction) in creating a 50 question test in excel. I would like for the tester to select the answer for each question (multiple choice). At the end of the test, a button that will grade the test (Pass, Fail, Miss est..). The person taking the test can not go back and change answers. The test result to be cumulated (placed) on a hidden spreadsheet by name and score. I would need to change (rearrange) the test once and awhile. Is Excel the right program or would word be better? I would have (run) the file on a floppy, jump drive or shared drive. Please help if you ca...

Changing username using the registry.
I'm trying to figure out how to change a users -username- for Exce using the registry. I'm needing to change username's of people withou disturbing them -like anyone wants to know this- Any help will be greatly appreciated -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...