trouble importing data by paste

I'm using MSP 2007 Std.  I'm copying data from a Filemaker (database) screen
and updating an MSProject file (with predefined tasks) by pasting it into the
project.  When the data is pasted, MSP is adding an extra line of data
between the last and second to the last lines of data.  So, in essence, it is
inserting a task.  I have no idea where this is coming from.  I've
experimented and the copied data goes cleanly into an Excel file and cleanly
into a blank Project file.  Any ideas? or workarounds?
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I don't have Filemaker to try this; but the way to figure out where this
is coming from may be to paste the data into Word and in Word display
the paragraph marks. I suspect you'll find extra linefeeds or carriage
returns in the source data that goes into the clipboard that then get's
handled when pasted.

If you have a lot of this to do, perhaps a way to do this would be to
export the data from Filemaker into a CSV or XLS file, or paste into
Excel (or Word) and "munge" the data to remove the extranenous characters.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 26/03/10 16:20, miguelt wrote:
> I'm using MSP 2007 Std.  I'm copying data from a Filemaker (database) screen
> and updating an MSProject file (with predefined tasks) by pasting it into the
> project.  When the data is pasted, MSP is adding an extra line of data
> between the last and second to the last lines of data.  So, in essence, it is
> inserting a task.  I have no idea where this is coming from.  I've
> experimented and the copied data goes cleanly into an Excel file and cleanly
> into a blank Project file.  Any ideas? or workarounds?
0
Rob
3/26/2010 4:58:21 PM
In article <eKV7LWQzKHA.6140@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
 Rob Schneider <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com> wrote:

> I don't have Filemaker to try this; but the way to figure out where this
> is coming from may be to paste the data into Word and in Word display
> the paragraph marks. I suspect you'll find extra linefeeds or carriage
> returns in the source data that goes into the clipboard that then get's
> handled when pasted.
>
> If you have a lot of this to do, perhaps a way to do this would be to
> export the data from Filemaker into a CSV or XLS file, or paste into
> Excel (or Word) and "munge" the data to remove the extranenous characters.
>

> --rms
>
> www.rmschneider.com

Rob,
Is "munge" a technical term?

John

> On 26/03/10 16:20, miguelt wrote:
> > I'm using MSP 2007 Std.  I'm copying data from a Filemaker (database)
> > screen
> > and updating an MSProject file (with predefined tasks) by pasting it into
> > the
> > project.  When the data is pasted, MSP is adding an extra line of data
> > between the last and second to the last lines of data.  So, in essence, it
> > is
> > inserting a task.  I have no idea where this is coming from.  I've
> > experimented and the copied data goes cleanly into an Excel file and
> > cleanly
> > into a blank Project file.  Any ideas? or workarounds?
0
John
3/26/2010 7:49:03 PM
Rob.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I gave it a try (using Word).  I didn't see
any undesired data in need of deletion, yet, there was still the "extra" data
getting inserted into the MSP file.  I even edited the data on the Word file,
by deleting a few lines to the point before the "extra" insert happens and it
inserted cleanly into MSP.  Then I rebuilt the data on the word file and
again, I get the extra inserted data.  I wonder if this is some sort of bug
in MSP.

"Rob Schneider" wrote:

> I don't have Filemaker to try this; but the way to figure out where this
> is coming from may be to paste the data into Word and in Word display
> the paragraph marks. I suspect you'll find extra linefeeds or carriage
> returns in the source data that goes into the clipboard that then get's
> handled when pasted.
>
> If you have a lot of this to do, perhaps a way to do this would be to
> export the data from Filemaker into a CSV or XLS file, or paste into
> Excel (or Word) and "munge" the data to remove the extranenous characters.
>

> --rms
>
> www.rmschneider.com
>

> On 26/03/10 16:20, miguelt wrote:
> > I'm using MSP 2007 Std.  I'm copying data from a Filemaker (database) screen
> > and updating an MSProject file (with predefined tasks) by pasting it into the
> > project.  When the data is pasted, MSP is adding an extra line of data
> > between the last and second to the last lines of data.  So, in essence, it is
> > inserting a task.  I have no idea where this is coming from.  I've
> > experimented and the copied data goes cleanly into an Excel file and cleanly
> > into a blank Project file.  Any ideas? or workarounds?
> .

I just performed a clean paste onto a blank MSP file, then rebuilt the task
info.  Saved and closed the file.  Repopened it.  Retried the pasted...AND IT
WAS PERFECT !!!!  Not sure exactly where the problem was, but it is not there
anymore.
thanks again.

"miguelt" wrote:

> I'm using MSP 2007 Std.  I'm copying data from a Filemaker (database) screen
> and updating an MSProject file (with predefined tasks) by pasting it into the
> project.  When the data is pasted, MSP is adding an extra line of data
> between the last and second to the last lines of data.  So, in essence, it is
> inserting a task.  I have no idea where this is coming from.  I've
> experimented and the copied data goes cleanly into an Excel file and cleanly
> into a blank Project file.  Any ideas? or workarounds?

I have a Comma delimited text file how do I import in to excel an.
I would like to import a large text file that has data seperated by commas. I need to sort the data by columns. How can I do this in Excel? Open the file in Excel, then click on the Sort buttons on the toolbar or use Data/Sort. If you've done that and had problems, post back with details on your experience. On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:35:01 -0800, "trevord" <trevord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to import a large text file that has data seperated by commas. I >need to sort the data by columns. How can I do this in Excel? ...

Data comparison
Please help! I have databases(3 or 4 now but fixing to get bigger)and need to compare these to one master database. There are man values(colums) but I just need to match it up against one value(al numbers). Is there anything I can do to compare many databases to th master to see if there is any match? Thanks! -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you may provide some more detail about your spreadsheet layout (e.g. some example rows of data) and how you want to sho differences -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ifew552 >" <<ifew552.16tt05@exce...

linking data #2
I need to fill a table on one sheet with data from another sheet. The data is the sum of totals from a range of sub-tables. What I require is a function that will sequentially fill a colum on one sheet by gathering every 15th value from the data column on another sheet. Thanks This will pick up A1, A16, A31, A46, ... =INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,(ROW()-1)*15+1) Dragged down. But this would seem pretty dangerous to me. If you insert/delete rows, won't everything go south pretty fast? Since you're working with subtotals, maybe using data|pivottable would be better. If you want to read mor...

Data Validation #19
I am trying to apply validation to a range of cells which must be both 12 characters in length as well as in upper case to be accepted. Can anyone help Please I assume you want *only* the uppercase characters A - Z. No numbers, no spaces, no punctuation characters. =AND(LEN(A1)=12,SUM(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(ROW(INDIRECT("65:90"))),"")))=LEN(A1)) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "CTC" <CTC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EE80F49-7ADB-487A-8458-49051F2DC5BA@microsoft.com... >I am trying to apply validation to a range of cells...

Custom field type and external data source
Hi I would like to ask you for advice. In our enviroment we have one web application hosting 3 site collection. Those site collection need to share few (3-4) dictionaries. By sharing I undersand that users need to associate data from those dictionaries to the records they create on lists around those site collection. As we have three diffrent site collection (dictionaries are hosted on the main top level site collection), then to achive that we go for custom lookup field type to let users pick-up values from those dictionaries. Unfortunetly this solution has an issue, that whe...

Graphic Trouble When Saving Publisher doc as HTML
When I create a Publisher document with text and a graphic, I use one large text box and paste the graphic into it. The text automatically wraps around the graphic, which is how I like it. When I save my publisher document as a web page, and open it up in IE, the text that "used" to wrap around that graphic doesn't wrap anymore. It just runs right through it to the right side border of the text box. Other than keeping my text in one text box and my graphic outside of it, is there a way to insert a graphic within a text box so that this doesn't happen when I save it as a we...

Data repeater control problem reletaed to repeatercontrolname property
Hi Greetings I need to do following - I am using data repeater control. I have my ActiveX control developed in MFC which I need to erpeat using data repeater control The problem is - In the data repeater control's RepeaterCOntrolName property the name of my control is not displayed hence I cannot select it for repition. If I make the ActiveX control in VB, the control is shown in the list of the datarepeater control's repeatercontrolname property. But I need to use MFC/ATL to make ActiveX control to repeated. PLease help Thank you ...

importing Internet mail
Ok, so I am a new Exchange Admin, so I hope this isn't to dumb of a question. I work for a Networking Company and we install networks into Offices, etc.. I need to leard Exchange, obviousally, for this line of work. I've installed it at home and I have it up and working well. Not that I really need Exchange for me and my wife. The problem is that I have about 4 different Email accounts, 2 from my ISP, 1 from work and 1 from college and I use them all. I'd like to get them all to download into exchange, and that way I could check them w/ OWA, or Outlook when I am at home. Is t...

UNION query and Data type mismatch in criteria expression
I did some searches on this problem before trying to post here to the newsgroup, but what little information I found did not seem to help. Here is the problem. I have a UNION query that joins 2 queries into 1 dataset. Each sub-query works fine individually, but when I place them into a UNION query it gives the error message "Data Type mismatch in criteria expression" I first double-checked to make sure any JOIN fields were of the same data type - which they are (everything is in TEXT format). Also, the information I found suggested there might be problems when an empty field...

Difficulty importing library with VC++
Hello, I am having a small difficult using the SetupAPI library. I made the call: SetupDiDestroyDeviceInfoList and when I build my code, it tells me that it is unable to resolve the reference to __imp__SetupDiDestroyDeviceInfoList. I went to MSDN and I found that this is located in SetupAPI.lib. In Visual Studio C++ .net, I went into the Project Properties and under linker->Generl->Additional_Library_Directories, I added the path that will point to SetupAPI.lib which has the function defined in it. It still doesn't work. Then I thought that maybe MSDN lied to me, so I disected t...

Copy data from one column across one row....
Hey guys, I would like to take one column of data and copy it across one row., so, I want the data to go left to right across the spreadsheet instead of top to bottom. If you have a suggestion to solve this, macro or whatever, could you please email it to me at: krea@dslextreme.com thanks, kevin rea asked in excel -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com <krea@dslextreme.com> wrote in message news:107rliascplaf51@corp.supernews.com... > Hey guys, > > I would like to take one column of data and copy it across one row., > so, I want the data to go left to ri...

Import/export folders
I have a new computer and want to transfer my contact address book and allmy old email over to the new computer. I have a fire wire setup between the 2 computers and need to know what files to transfer http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm might be helpful. "Mike Corwin" <mikecorwin@chilidavis.com> wrote in message news:018a01c36ac9$94d23240$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have a new computer and want to transfer my contact > address book and allmy old email over to the new > computer. I have a fire wire setup between the 2 > computers and need to know what file...

no data printed in chart with more than 2709 data points
when i try to print a chart that contains more than 2709 data points i get a complete chart only no lines to connect my data points. the points are displayed if i have them enabled, i have tried printing to pdf, and several printers. the problem only shows up with 2710 data points or more ...

DATA BASE MOUNT PROBLEM
HI... I have setup sbs2003 with exchange server setup it works fine after that iwe decide to upgrade memory that RAM , we upgrade success fully but after some hour RAM failed so we remove the what ever we upgraded . now we have original config with 512K RAM .evrything works ok but we found one problem in exchange my database os not mounting and when i tried to mout it gives me error that database is currupted pls help also i don't have any backup but that is fine if i can create new database and my exchage works pls help me Thanks -T On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:29:03 -0800, "...

Data Validation with Symbols
I would like to present a dropdown list for a cell consisting of the four suit symbols (hearts, clubs, diamonds, spades) and the letters "NT". Can't get data validation to do this as its font can't be changed. Does anybody know how to do this any other way (perhaps with with VBA)? Thanks for any advice or direction. Hi green biro! Have you tried inserting the symbols in a range and referring to that range in Data Validation List? Works OK for me. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au What symbols/characters and fonts di...

Comparing data between two tables
Dear all, In my access database there are two tables. The first one has complete information: customer_code, item_code, item_code_2, company, and values. The second has only the item_code, item_code_2 and values. Now I need to compare the values between the tables, but I have a big problem: I need the all data in the first table, and when I execute the consult the values stay in duplicity. I already think in create another table, but I don't know... because I have some data in one table that I don't have in another... How can I solve this problem? Thanks a lot!!! Andr=E9. On Oct...

Importing Tasks into CRM from Outlook
Is there any way to do this easily. I have alot of tasks in my present version of Oulook and do not want to cut an paste them into CRM. Suggestions? ...

hdd crash how to restore my outlook2000 data
hi ho, im using win98se and office2000 premium after a hdd crash i cant boot the system now i have a second pc with a new install of all and i try to restore my personal thinks: e-mails adress sort rulez accounts i have found my e-mails in c:\windows\local settings\anwendungsdaten\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst to restore this data i open up outlook writte a new e-mail, but before i sent it i closed x the window and have saved the changes. now outlook knows where the file is and after a reboot copy the old psd over the new pst. i have found my rulez in c:\windows\anwendungsdaten\microsof...

Selecting data from different cells for a chart
This is a little difficult to word without showing a picture of the data, but I'm wondering if there is a way to select data from different cells for a chart. The difficulty is that I have multiple sets of data that are organized in a series of cells..I'll see if I can explain this. Relative to the top of each box of data (box contains between 2 and 4 rows, with 6 columns across), the first cell I need (a data label) would be at 0,0. The second cell I need to pull from would be at 6,3 (6 columns to the right and 3 rows down). I need to pull this data repeatedly into a chart...

how do i make pie chart ignore data labels where value is zero?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a pie chart tracking the amount of time spent in a day. I have lots of possible categories and i certainly don't use them all each day, and the chart shows a bunch of overlapping labels in between slices if their value is zero. Does anyone know how to make the chart exclude these labels? <br><br>Thanks in advance! On 4/7/10 1:02 PM, Steppenwolf@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel I have a pie chart tracking t...

charting non-contiguous data #2
Hi all, Can someone tell me how to add non-contiguous data to a chart. My data is in B21, G21, L21........IR21. Ideally, the chart would auto-update to include data as it is entered on a weekly basis. Thanks! Running out of weeks, since the last day goes into IV21. Ideally, you would set up a contiguous chart data range in another sheet, or in another part of this sheet, which links to the discontiguous data. The problem is that the individual cells of your chart data are stored as a sheet name and cell address in the series formula, taking a dozen or more characters per cell, and you...

What is the largest file size, I can Import to excel?
I have tryed to import a txt file (about 50MB) into excel and I recived error message. Something about 65000 lines or so.... Any idea? thanx /goran Goran, The maximum number of rows on a worksheet is 65,536 so you can't import more than that many records without writing code to work with multiple worksheets. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Goran" <remove_stjepanovic@broadpark.no> wrote in message news:eN7HO822DHA.2792@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I have tryed to import a txt file (about 50MB) int...

Over-Eager code is pasting too many times
The code is running on the activeworkbook, where data is in rows A:G. An identifier for the provisional start of each record is in col A (defined as "A" & Cell.Row). User can identify records to be copied using A, B , C etc in cols I to J in Cell.Row So, having found a record ("A" & Cell.Row) I now check to see if the range(("H" & Cell.Row, "J" & Cell.Row) contains any user tags, and if so, then copy the record to the destination Workbooks("Sorted_Tagged " & x(4) & ".xls"). _ Worksheets(TagCell.Value) fo...

Formatting ALL data labels for ALL data series at once
I've applied data labels to a pivot chart (PivotChar Tools/Layout/Data Labels/Inside End). Then, i actually want the data series name to show instead of the value and also want the text orientation to be vertical. I can change this for a single data series, but not for all at once. Am i missing something ? You can pick Show Series for all series of labels at once, if you select the chart, go to the Chart menu > Chart Options > Data Labels tab. This does all series at once, not just the ones you've already labeled. You cannot apply other formatting to more than one series...

Alias Import
Hi, I've been trying out RMS for a few weeks and have figured out a lot of things through the help of this community. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to import an Alias. I'm using the MS SQL Data Import utility and for some reason I get an error message whenever I try to open the Alias table. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Kwang Lee Kwang, I found the QSCImp utility on CustomerSource or other sites to be very helpful in regards to updating the Alias in particular. In SO Administrator, I can query Alias as simply as Select * from Alias. S...