Task w/ Multiple Resource - schedule around availability

I have a task that requires two resources to work concurrently.  It is a
series of presentations that need to occur within a single span of five
days.  Both resources must be available to attend each and every
presentation within that 5 day period.

There is work that must be complete prior to presentations, therefore
this task has a predecessor.  It so happens that one of the resources
that must perform the task is away on vacation when the predecessor
finishes.  Even though the vacation is entered as an exception in the
calendar of the resource, MS Project still schedules the presentation
task to start right after the predecessor completes, when only one of
the resources is available.

What do I need to do to have the task scheduled asap, but only when both
resources are available?

--
KevDev
KevDev's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227661.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
KevDev
6/2/2010 3:08:34 PM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi,

This is explained in detail in an article I wrote about it on my website
http://users.online.be/prom-ade
and click through to Microsoft Project: an abstract

In short, DO NOT enter the absence as a holiday but as a task (with a mucst
start on constraint). Then do Resource Leveling because leveling has an
option to keep the reosurces working simultaneously.

HTH

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
"KevDev" <KevDev.4bxrpb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I have a task that requires two resources to work concurrently.  It is a
> series of presentations that need to occur within a single span of five
> days.  Both resources must be available to attend each and every
> presentation within that 5 day period.
>
> There is work that must be complete prior to presentations, therefore
> this task has a predecessor.  It so happens that one of the resources
> that must perform the task is away on vacation when the predecessor
> finishes.  Even though the vacation is entered as an exception in the
> calendar of the resource, MS Project still schedules the presentation
> task to start right after the predecessor completes, when only one of
> the resources is available.
>
> What do I need to do to have the task scheduled asap, but only when both
> resources are available?
>

> --
> KevDev
> KevDev's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227661.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343030.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Jan
6/2/2010 6:54:46 PM
Jan:

Thank you.  Your solution not only worked for me, it is ingenious.

The task that needs both resources is now scheduled at a time when both
resources are available.  As an added bonus, the non-working time
appears in any task based reports.  Therefore, it will become part of
our periodic review of the plan, and will be better maintained.

Thanks so much,
Kevin

--
KevDev
KevDev's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227661.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343030.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
KevDev
6/3/2010 1:09:06 PM
Thanks, Kevin.

--
"KevDev" <KevDev.4bzgtb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Jan:
>
> Thank you.  Your solution not only worked for me, it is ingenious.
>
> The task that needs both resources is now scheduled at a time when both
> resources are available.  As an added bonus, the non-working time
> appears in any task based reports.  Therefore, it will become part of
> our periodic review of the plan, and will be better maintained.
>
> Thanks so much,
> Kevin
>

> --
> KevDev
> KevDev's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227661.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343030.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Jan
6/3/2010 2:38:52 PM
Careful though - the man-hours your resource is spending on the holiday is
now included in the project's total man-hours even though it not really work
performed in driving the project's deliverables and similarly, the
resource's salary costs for those man-hours is included in the total budget.
Jan and I would have to disagree on desirablility of this method since IMHO
it artificially inflates both the work and budget for the project, adding
both work hours and costs attributed of that work into them when neither
actually exist. It's a handy way of adjusting a schedule but it severely
distorts everything else except the timeline. I tend to believe that tasks
in the project schedule should be strictly limited to physical activities
spent working on project deliverables.  Time off such as holidays,
vacations, and days off, and time spent waiting for something to happen such
as the reciept of an approval, etc, are by definition non-activity or
non-productive activity.  IMHO such factors should never be represented as
tasks since to do so implies something productive is happening in them when
in fact it's not.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"KevDev" <KevDev.4bzgtb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Jan:
>
> Thank you.  Your solution not only worked for me, it is ingenious.
>
> The task that needs both resources is now scheduled at a time when both
> resources are available.  As an added bonus, the non-working time
> appears in any task based reports.  Therefore, it will become part of
> our periodic review of the plan, and will be better maintained.
>
> Thanks so much,
> Kevin
>

> --
> KevDev
> KevDev's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227661.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343030.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Steve

Visio should allow selection of a frame per hyperlink like in MS W #2
I use Visio (and have done for years) and would really appreciate it if you would place the selection for a frame within your hyperlinks that would override the page default and allow the web pages that are created in Visio to be even more useful that they are. I was able to do this before 2003 version by putting the text "Target="{FRAME} at the end of the address (where {FRAME} was the frame name). This tricked Visio into doing what I needed and still do as i have used Visio and Word to create web processes with frames and hyperlinks. You have changed the way that the text is par...

How to set up multiple users with same email account
I currently have the following set up on my XP Home SP3 using Outlook Express 2 user accounts on XP (mine and my wife's) 3 email accounts - all from one ISP (pop3) - (one for me only, one for my wife only, one for both of us) The address book is shared out to all email accounts. As Outlook Express is not supported in Windows 7 and I am not too keen on Windows Live Mail, I was thinking of moving over to Outlook 2003 (which I also have). Is it possible to set up the same construct I have with OE using Outlook 2003 and how is such a thing possible. I have seen articles ...

multiple payable/purchase daybook
In Belgium we are used to work with daybooks. From the payables/purchase side it is not possible to have more than 1 daybook, because there is only one voucher number series. Anyone knows if there are add ons for this? Other suggestions? Hi pvbe, Thanks for your question. Are you talking about VAT daybook functionality in Belgium? If so, I will continue to offer assistance with setup. Thanks, Jonny --- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "pvbe" wrote: > In Belgium we are used to work with daybooks. > From the payabl...

Publish Task List
Is there a way to either publish a public task list as a web page or export as a file? Is there a way to either publish a public task list as a web page or export as a file, retaining it's view characteristics? View it in Simple list view, add columns, do your grouping - using the Field Chooser and Group By box (on Advanced toolbar) Then you can print preview it - you'll get what you see when you print it! Judy Gleeson Acorn Training and Consulting "we're nuts about Outlook" www.acorntraining.com.au/productivit.htm Cody Dawg <bfogelstrom@hotmail.com>...

Workflow to perform actions when task created not working
I have some workflows that create task activity assignments for new clients (Accounts). the workflow rule is 'manual' and works just fine. The issue is that I had to create an additional workflow rule for 'task' entity, so that when a task is created, the system can check the subject, and then update a custom picklist field with a certain value from the list. The 'manual' workflow creates the task activities, but the 'create' workflow rule for tasks is not even launching. No action takes place. Does anyone have an idea of what may be happening. I am...

Console App w/ MFC (hiding console window)
I've created a console app and added MFC support. The idea is that my app can run either with a dialog user interface or a console. It all works fine except that I cannot figure out how to hide the console window when running in the dialog ui mode. Anyone know how I might do this? -Brett- Brett , > I've created a console app and added MFC support. The idea is that my app > can run either with a dialog user interface or a console. It all works fine > except that I cannot figure out how to hide the console window when running > in the dialog ui mode. You can set yo...

Countif accross multiple questions.
Hi folks, I know this has been asked and answered, but I could not get it working. I thought I would ask my specific problem. I have a excel spreadsheet with a detail sheet containing columns. One column is Inventoried whose values are TRUE or FALSE. Another column is PRICE which could be 0 or any number like 5.35. In anoher sheet I want a summary. I have one cell that is inventoried (=COUNTIF('INVENTORY'!E:E,"TRUE" I need another Cell that will be Unpriced inventory which is the number if Inventoried = 'TRUE' and price = 0. I tried the sumproduct but keep get...

Improve Service Calendar scheduling by using nearest location
Hello, I have different sites providing the same service, I want that from service calendar, my users could schedule a service: 1) from the nearest site 2) if no resources available on this site, use any other site with available resources. Is CRM able to do this ? How to enter rules on the service to have this kind of selection ? Thanks for help. CS ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button...

mass of cases/tasks/emails assigned to user
hello, I have just hada really strange thing happen in CRM 4.0. one user has just been assigned over 90 tasks/cases/emails. Has anyone ever had such a problem? Thanks Ian ...

OWA and multiple Exchange Servers
Hi, I'll first sketch my situation: 3 Exchange-servers (exch1,2 and 3), all in the same domain but on differtent locations. Local Domain Name is clientname.local. On one of the servers OWA is configured. Problem: I want all users to use exch1 as their OWA server, regardless of on wich server they actually have their mailbox. It works fine now for users on exch1.clientname.local (wich also has an external DSN entry on the internet (https://companyname.nl/exchange)), but as soon as users that exist on any of the other servers try to log in they get redirect to eg. http://exch2.clientname....

Resource Assignments View Filtered on Booked Type Field
I have a project that has been cancelled part way through. To deal with this, I've set the Booked Type field to be proposed for all resources in this project. This works great in that the tasks from this project no longer appear in the resources My Tasks view but they do still appear in the Resource Assignments views I have and I don't seem to be able to filter Resource Assignnments on Booked Type. Is that possible or is there another way I should be going about what I want to achieve? Which is to keep a copy of the cancelled projects plan in Project Server for refere...

Guide to setting up Resources and using Auto Accept Agent
I am setting up an exchange 2003 system and was looking for guidance on how to create resources that can be booked - like conference rooms as part of meetings. Also, do I need to use Auto Accept Agents to complete the process of people booking these resources? Thanks Please could someone advise on this? I am hoping to find someone with information ASAP. "Makor" wrote: > I am setting up an exchange 2003 system and was looking for guidance on how > to create resources that can be booked - like conference rooms as part of > meetings. Also, do I need to use Auto Accept...

Multiple logins
Here is the scenario: My Fiancee & I share some of the same accounts. When she logs into the bank, she can see our joint accounts plus her personal accounts. The same for me. The issue is when I set Money up to pull from the bank, I get two of the same account. If I try to delete one of the duplicates, it tells me it has to delete all accounts from that login (including the history). I do not want to do this, but what can I do to save my sanity? Thanks! ...

syncing multiple handhelds to the same profile
I am trying to sync two handhelds to outlook for two different people and can't make it work. You know, we could spend a few mails back and forth asking questions that you should have included in your original post (version of Outlook, PDA brand, version of Activesync, Pocket PC or Palm OS version, and Chapura Intellimirror) but it is a nice day outside so I think I will go play instead. I will be a lot happier. You can repost this question in the microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync (if it is a PPC) and include the above information. Folks there are less tolerant than we are here i...

How would I hire someone to help w Outlook issues remotely?
I have a lot of little bugs with Outlook 2007 and Windows XP and do not seem to be able to find help. I have asked questions multiple times on this forum with no help. Is there a way an individual can hire another individual to come on my computer remotely and help with my little issues? ...or should I just call someone like geek squad to send someone over? please copy my email as I never seem to find responses on this forum and when I login it says I have no responses. (I have also checked notify of replies) Kevin grold@aol.com Your questions in this group, in Januar...

Multiple versions on a single machine
I'm trying to install GP 10.0 without upgrading the current version 8.0 installed on my machine as I would like to use both (pointing to different databases). The problem is that GP 10.0 automatically tries to upgrade the previous version. Is there a way around this? Thanks! Craig Yes, create a new instance of SQL Server on your machine and a new DSN pointing to that instance. I covered this in my previous MSDynamicsWorld article at http://msdynamicsworld.com/story/configuration-development/set-microsoft-dynamics-gp-test-and-production-environments-budget Best regards, -- MG.- Ma...

Typing in multiple row in a single cell
Is there a way to divide a cell in multiple rows? I am not talking about the insert the Text Box or table. The cell it self should be able to take text in multiple rows. for example to type "My address My Street My City" Three rows in one cell Khusro Hi Format>Cells>Alignment>Wrap text Then press Alt+Enter at each point you want to create a new row. As an aside, entering data in this format is not the most useful way to store data. Very often, you want to pull out the City separate form other things, for example. It would be better to store your data in separate ce...

Highlight multiple cells (one column) that are less than today's date
Hello, I have a column of dates that needs to be compared current date and highlighted if the date is less that today's date. The dates were populated in a general non-specific format (below) and vary in length. My plan was to create a macro, that uses conditional formatting to say; if the cell date is less than today's date highlight it yellow. I am not finding this to be an easy task! Anyhow, after creating the conditional formatting; I apply it the column by using a past special, then lastly apply a format to the entire column of dates as DATE "*3/14/2001". What hap...

Excel "Not Enough Available Memory or disk space
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Hi, has anyone seen this message when trying to open an Excel File? "Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough available memory or disk space." This happens on any excel documents of any size and only a logout seems to clear this up. The users have plenty of RAM (4gigs) so that's not the issue and there's plenty of disk space as well. Any help appreciated! "tjbud@officeformac.com" wrote: > Hi, has anyone seen this message when trying to open an Exce...

How do I apply State O Maine 5% Sales Tax schedule to $ amounts.
Maine 5% Sales Tax Schedule From To Tax $0.00 $0.10 $0.00 $0.11 $0.20 $0.01 $0.21 $0.40 $0.02 $0.41 $0.60 $0.03 $0.61 $0.80 $0.04 $0.81 $1.00 $0.05 If you normaly multiple 10 cents by .05 it equals $0.01.... That would be wrong under their tax schedule. Can anybody help me? Thank you Something like this. For the Case Else section, adjust the formula as needed. Function MainTax(myCost As Double) Select Case myCost Case Is <= ...

Publisher will not print multiple copies, other apps do? Help!
I have tried everything I know how to do. Publisher will not print multiple copies, but other applications will. What version Publisher? Doe the print fail in all Publisher projects? Have you looked into an upgraded driver? Will Publisher print multiple copies if you change the number in the printer folder? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "sidewinder" <sidewinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FBA3DCE-AE53-432E-8A7E-D6B3D6B1736A@microsoft.com... >I have tried everything I know h...

Cannot turn off select multiple items in Windows
We have Windows XP workstations running on a Windows Server 2003 domain. Sometimes, when a user clicks on a file in a folder, then clicks on another file in that same folder, all items in between the two get selected. The Shift key is not being pressed though. How do I turn this off? Up till now, all I can figure out is to logoff and login again. Anthony Fontana wrote: > We have Windows XP workstations running on a Windows Server 2003 > domain. Sometimes, when a user clicks on a file in a folder, then > clicks on another file in that same folder, all items in b...

multiple identities
Hi, I tried to add another identity on my home computer, but after I did that, I could no longer download any new headers from the main identity or the new one I had just setup. So I deleted the new identity and just tried to change the mailing information to access one of my fun accounts. Now I can't get new headers at all my my service provider, but I can at these microsoft newsgroup. Now I can't add an identity at all since the newsgroup view on Outlook XP no longer has an "Identity" option to be able to select "Manage Identities". I am XP for the OS. Am I...

creating multiple files from a spreadsheet
I have a spreadsheet created from Project which lists all tasks, the associated resources, hours etc. I need to take the spreadsheet and generate a time sheet for each resource. Is there a way to do this so the file names will contain the resource's name? I can save it to the same drive and filename each time but the resources could change (new resources added) week to week. So, I need a file created for each resource listed in the spreadsheet. The new spreadsheets would then have each task for each resource in its own spreadsheet. -- Carol Summa Carol, I asked the same ques...

Exchange 2003: One user getting "No transport provider was available for delivery to this" several times a day
We run Exchange 2003 in a WIndows 2000 domain. Most of our clients (including the problem user) use citrix, so the setup for individuals has little variation on basics such as Outlook 2003. One user continually has problems sending out and several times a day (sometimes much more), she is prevented from sending emails with the error: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: John Doe on 20/09/2007 10:01 No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient. I looked up the 'no transport' issue on Microsoft KB, and nothing was really applica...