Resource Units - Want to change based on day/night shift

I want to be able to have a resource, say 'electrician', with 5 available for
the day shift and 2 available for the night shift.  This would allow e to
just assign the 'electrician' resource and have project level based on unit
availability.

If I setup 'electrician Day' and 'electrician Night', then I need to
carefully select which to use and if the schedule shifts it is a nightmare.

Any thought on how to do this?

Thank-you!
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Jan 6, 10:43=A0pm, John K <John K...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I want to be able to have a resource, say 'electrician', with 5 available=
 for
> the day shift and 2 available for the night shift. =A0This would allow e =
> just assign the 'electrician' resource and have project level based on un=
it
> availability.
>
> If I setup 'electrician Day' and 'electrician Night', then I need to
> carefully select which to use and if the schedule shifts it is a nightmar=
e.

> Any thought on how to do this?
>
> Thank-you!

John - Since the day-shift and night-shift resources have different
working time, I suggest you follow the below steps

1. Add two resources say "Electrician day" and "Electrician night" in
Resource sheet
2. Change the "Base calendar" of the these resources to "Standard" and
"Night Shift" accordingly
3. Set the "Max units" of "Electrician day" to 300% (as you have three
day shift resources)
4. Set the "Max units" of "Electrician night" to 200% (as you have two
day shift resources)

After adding these resources, you can assign them to the task. Project
will schedule the work to the resource based on the calendar of the
resource.

For example, if you assign "Electrician day [200%]" and "Electrician
night [100%]" resource to a task "Wiring", with 2 days duration, then
Project will schedule 8 hours of work to each of the two "Electrician
day" resource between 8 am - 5pm (standard calendar), and 8 hours of
work to one "Electrician night" resource between 11 pm - 8 am (night
shift calendar)

Please let me know if this helps.

- Sai, PMP, PMI-SP, MCT, MCTS
http://saipower.wordpress.com
0
sai
1/7/2010 1:35:13 AM
Sai,

Thank-you.  I was hoping for a method that I would not need to assign 'day'
and 'night' resources as that could negatively impact (lengthen) the project
duration if tasks shift in the project.  But my research seems to conclude
there is no option other than your suggestion.

So, unless there are any other ideas I will proceed with the day/night
assignments.

If Microsoft is listening, this would be a valuable addition for those of us
that schedule large 24/7 plant shutdowns, etc.  Maybe the ability to assign a
group to tasks...   :-)

On Jan 7, 8:12=A0am, John K <Jo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Sai,
>
> Thank-you. =A0I was hoping for a method that I would not need to assign '=
day'
> and 'night' resources as that could negatively impact (lengthen) the proj=
ect
> duration if tasks shift in the project. =A0But my research seems to concl=
ude
> there is no option other than your suggestion.
>
> So, unless there are any other ideas I will proceed with the day/night
> assignments.
>
> If Microsoft is listening, this would be a valuable addition for those of=
 us
> that schedule large 24/7 plant shutdowns, etc. =A0Maybe the ability to as=
sign a
> group to tasks... =A0 :-)
>

> "sai" wrote:
> > On Jan 6, 10:43 pm, John K <John K...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I want to be able to have a resource, say 'electrician', with 5 avail=
able for
> > > the day shift and 2 available for the night shift. =A0This would allo=
w e to
> > > just assign the 'electrician' resource and have project level based o=
n unit
> > > availability.
>
> > > If I setup 'electrician Day' and 'electrician Night', then I need to
> > > carefully select which to use and if the schedule shifts it is a nigh=
tmare.

> > > Any thought on how to do this?
>
> > > Thank-you!
>
> > John - Since the day-shift and night-shift resources have different
> > working time, I suggest you follow the below steps
>
> > 1. Add two resources say "Electrician day" and "Electrician night" in
> > Resource sheet
> > 2. Change the "Base calendar" of the these resources to "Standard" and
> > "Night Shift" accordingly
> > 3. Set the "Max units" of "Electrician day" to 300% (as you have three
> > day shift resources)
> > 4. Set the "Max units" of "Electrician night" to 200% (as you have two
> > day shift resources)
>
> > After adding these resources, you can assign them to the task. Project
> > will schedule the work to the resource based on the calendar of the
> > resource.
>
> > For example, if you assign "Electrician day [200%]" and "Electrician
> > night [100%]" resource to a task "Wiring", with 2 days duration, then
> > Project will schedule 8 hours of work to each of the two "Electrician
> > day" resource between 8 am - 5pm (standard calendar), and 8 hours of
> > work to one "Electrician night" resource between 11 pm - 8 am (night
> > shift calendar)
>
> > Please let me know if this helps.
>
> > - Sai, PMP, PMI-SP, MCT, MCTS
> >http://saipower.wordpress.com

Thanks for you response.

I agree if Project supports adding a group of resources to task, but
this is still possible by creating one resource called "Electrical"
and having the max units to 500% (indicating 5 resources) with the
catch that all these resources should have the same working time.

So, you need to go with two resources one for day-shift and another
for night-shift. If you think my response was useful, consider rating
it.

- Sai, PMP, PMI-SP, MCT, MCTS
http://saipower.wordpress.com
0
Sai

Change computer name
Hi there, Is it possible to change the computer name of Exchange Server 2003? I'm wondering whether something will be wrong after changing the computer name. Thanks. Ray Easily? No. In order to rename an Exchange server, you must move all of the mailboxes, connection agreements (MX records if this is external-facing), public folders, etc. to a new Exchange server and uninstall Exchange before renaming the server. If this is the only Exchange 2003 server in your organization, or if this is the first Exchange 2003 server in your organization, you will want to follow the guide...

How would I change all hyperlinks at once?
I have a large spreadsheet that incorporates hundreds of hyperlinks to documents that are all housed within the same folder. For security, I want to convert all of the documents to .pdf format then change all of the hyperlinks so that they no longer reference the .doc files and instead reference the .pdf files of the same name. If it were within the main portion of the spreadsheet, I would basically be doing a "Find and Replace" and with ".doc" and ".pdf"; however, I know of no such option with regards to hyperlinks (though, naturally, I didn't...

how do you change the default email provider in xp?
how do you change the default email provider in xp? need yahoo but isn't an option in the drop down box under internet options Are you referring to your Internet dialup settings in Internet Explorer where it defaults to a particular dialup? "StaceyC" wrote: > how do you change the default email provider in xp? need yahoo but isn't an > option in the drop down box under internet options The only way Yahoo will b an available choice for the default email client is if Yahoo and Microsoft work together to add it. For now, the only webmail service that you can set as ...

fix cell contents before deleting column from which formula's are based
I want to e-mail a spreadsheet to someone showing only the calculated results and deleting the column from which the formula's are based. I have done this (fixing the cell contents) before but can't remember how and am obviously not wording my query correctly for the help function. Thanks. Erica Copy, paste special, values? then delete the column? >-----Original Message----- >I want to e-mail a spreadsheet to someone showing only the >calculated results and deleting the column from which the >formula's are based. I have done this (fixing the cell >cont...

how do I change/edit the names of catagories in Calendar?
want to make my own names for the color designations in "Catagorize" Version? In 2003, click on the labels icon on the toolbar and choose edit... (can also access it using the edit, labels menu) in 2007, click the category button and choose all categories to access the editor. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...

Displaying data based on Drop Down List Selection
Hello, hope someone can help. I have a list of records in Excel which are attributed to teams in my organisation. Say its a list of staff. What I need is to be able to send the file out so that a user can select from a drop down menu the team name and the list displays all the staff in that team. I know that they could just use a filter for this themselves but these these users are not even comfortable doing that!! I need to make is simple so wanted a big obvious drop down list with the teams in, they select it and see all the relevant records. Has anybody got any ideas? Would be ver...

Select criteria based on the field name the user selects
Hi all, I am facing with aproblem where in i have a small access db with forms and reports now i want to change or set the where condition of a query based on the value the user selects from the form through a combo box. For ex:- if user is selecting Invoice_date then the where condition should search based on invoice date if the user selects any other field the querys where condition should search based on that particular field.Can any one help me in getting a solution for this. I have a sample database that shows how you can use various controls to set the filter of a query that i...

Query Based Distribution Groups-Issues?
I am looking at implementing Query based groups and am curious, what are some of the problems I am might run into? Example: Outlook 2003 cached mode? OWA? Active Sync? and most of all: If I am going to replace an existing group, I am planning on, after hours, deleting the existing group and creating a query distribution group. How will this affect the users and their offline address books. Thanks, Bob As far as I can tell you can't assign permissions for example to Public Folders to Query Bases Groups - that was a big one for me. Mark "Bob Williamson" <BobWilliamso...

Cannot sum in report footer based on group footer
I have a calculated control on group footer called txtFlex =IIf([semester]="Fall Full-Time",[FT_Fall],IIf([semester]="Spring Full-Time",[FT_Spring],Sum([Hour]/2))) I want to total it in report footer =sum([txtFlex]) When I run the report, it asks parameter 'txtFlex' in report footer. I double checked the spelling and it's correct. I even tried to use Expression Builder to use mouse to pick the control but it still gives me the error message. If I delete the control in report footer, no error message. But I do need that summary control in report footer. W...

Need to change Autofilters behaviour in Excel 2003
Hello, Does anybody knows how to change the color of the triangle arrow on the column titles of autofilter ranges? Presently, when a filter is put on one column, the arrow for this column is changed from black to very dark blue. I need to change this color, so that this becomes more visible. At our office, my boss cannot make any difference between these two colors. This is a problem for daily work. Thanks in advance for any help. Bertrand from Tokyo, Japan see response to your earlier posting -- Regards Roger Govier Bertrand wrote: > Hello, > > Does any...

How can I change the default way pivot tables summarize by
By default, pivot tables summarize data by "Count". Is there a way to set the default as "Sum", which seems to be more widely used. If the data is all numeric, then you get "Sum of". If you have any non-numeric (including spaces), you get "count of". Maybe you could record a macro that builds the pivottable the way you like. Or you could use a utility from Debra Dalgleish that can do this (and lots more): http://www.contextures.com/xlPivotAddin.html Jorge wrote: > > By default, pivot tables summarize data by "Count". Is there a way...

commandbuttons changes position an size in office 2010
Dear All, Have a xls-file about 20 commandbuttons in Row1 (frezzed) for all kind of actions. Now we insttalled Office 2010 and comverted my xls-file > xlsm-file. Opening, editing and saving cause the commandbuttons to change position an size always to the left and upwards and becomming smaler size. Have the same problem with a Combobox (Form-object)/ Command-property set as 'Move and Size with cells' What's causing this strange behaviour? Filip ...

CHANGE DATES #2
I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TYPE 6 DIGIT NO. EG 010101 AND EXCEL CHANGE IT TO 01/01/01 HOW CAN I DO THIS SIMPLY THANKYOU Hi Either format the cell prior to entering values as 'Text' or enter the number with a preceding apostrophe, e.g. '010101 HTH Frank P.S.: please turn off your CAPS lock as it's quite difficult to read and is considered rude (shouting) in newsgroups ME wrote: > I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TYPE 6 DIGIT NO. EG 010101 AND EXCEL CHANGE IT > TO 01/01/01 HOW CAN I DO THIS SIMPLY THANKYOU I'M SORRY BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK FOR ME Hi B...

How to change number of decimal places on an exsiting item unit pr
The existing item unit price is set to 2 decimal places. We need the item currency decimals set to 4 places. When we run the utility "Tools->Utilities->Inventory->Change Decimal Places" The audit reported generated report s the following message. "Item exists on an inventory transaction and could not be updated. "Item exists on a Purchase Order processing transaction and not be updated." Is there anythin I can do to solve the problem? Thanks GO As indicated by the error message, you cannot have any unposted inventory transactions or open purchase or...

Days, Hours and minutes
Hello, I currently have a lump of data that is reporting back to me a 10 digit number. I have no idea where the number started (When) but I do know that the increments are in seconds. If I can set a point that I know to be a time I know say, 10:30am, how can I work out the other data stamps I have? I would like the 10 digit data to be converted to date and time if possible. Does that make any sense to anyone? Andrew Try dividing by 86400 and formatting as dd/mm/yyy hh:mm:ss -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "@...

Firmware Allocation of PCI Device Resources in Windows 7
Hello all! I have device on PCIe which require 4GB memory space. Unfortunately BIOS on my PC cannot configure this device during boot time, and Windows 7 (x64) also cannot allocate resources for my device because it probably uses configuration from BIOS. I know that my hardware allows to configure this device to use memory space above 4GB, because I configured it manually using direct access to PCI configuration registers on the bootloader stage. I read article about Firmware Allocation of PCI Device Resources in Widows Vista: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/pc...

Money wants to install itself
Whenever I open IE, My Computer, Windows Explorer, My Documents, etc., the Money 2003 Installer pops up. I hit cancel, it comes back up, repeat this twice. Then whatever I want opens. Xp also takes it's time to open other applications, it's as if there is a pause command in front of every .exe file. A few of my desktop icons have also been deleted. This started when I installed Heros III. I uninstalled, and did a restore to a week before. Nothing changed. What's going on? ...

How to change this macro
Need help changing the range on this range so that it will go to the last row. For example, instead of going from B2,B4:B18, I need it to go from B2,B4:"the last row that has any information in it". Same with column D, Column F and Column H. So I imagine something like B2,B4:B&LastRow. But don't know how to make that happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Range("B2,B4:B18,D2,D4:D18,F2,F4:F18,H2,H4:H18").Select Range("H4").Activate With Selection.Interior .Pattern = xlSolid .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic...

changes to pivot table labels
Hi I have a pivot table that reads data from an OLAP cube, is it possible to prevent users from changing the row labels Regards, AQ ...

How do you change the data type of a cell using VBA?
For instance, with VBA I am trying to place "February 2007" in a cell but it keeps showing up as Feb-07. I want it to show up as literal text. -- justme0010 Sub text_it() Range("A1").Value = Chr(39) & "February 2007" End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007c You could keep the value a date and just format the cell the way you like: with activecell .numberformat = "mmmm yyyy" .value = dateserial(2007,2,1) end with You could also format the cell as text first: with activecell .numberformat = "@" 'text .value...

number of days in a month
Hi Is it possible to create a formula that would automayically insert the number of days in the current or previous month. At present I am having to manually insert the number into the formula, an axample below, month is where I want the number inserting: =SUM(D61*37.5)/7.5*month For the current month: =DAY(EOMONTH(NOW(),0)) For the previous month: =DAY(EOMONTH(NOW(),-1)) These require the Analysis ToolPak add-in be installed. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Boenerge" <Boenerge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1897BE99-1EDC-4B54-ACEA-95D43B68CE66@micr...

Want to flag a user to be hidden from the GAL when it is moved to another OU.
Is there a way to move a user from one OU to another and have it automatically stamp the user to be hidden from the GAL, without changing this attribute from the GUI? We are moving users that are to be deleted later to an OU (Terminated) prior to deleting them and the junior admins are forgetting to flag the account so it doesn't show up in the GAL. We would like to create a policy or script to automate and idiot proof this process. Any ideas, Thanks in Advance -- JohnB ajohnbe@hotmail.com On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:07:34 GMT, "JohnB" <johnbsgenerator@hotmail.com> wrote:...

Want to create a file open box using a dialog box
I would like to create a file open box using a dialog box, but am not familiar with VBA. Is there a simple solution which will allow me to change the box header and place notes within the box itself?? Sorry for the ignorance. Truely, Mindless Mike Hi Mike Header yes, notes no: Sub test() Dim V As Variant V = Application.GetOpenFilename(Title:="Go on pick one") If V = False Then Exit Sub 'cancelled MsgBox "You chose " & CStr(V) 'note that it doesn't open the file, VBA must open it if desired End Sub HTH. Best wishes Harald "...

Query Based Distribution List Note
We are running Exchange 2003 and using Query Based Distribution Lists (QBDL), viewable through the GAL. Our users are complaining (and building their own lists) because they can't see who is included in the list. We use desciptive names, but they need more information. All QBDLs are based on a company, a department or part of a title. I have asked our administrator to place in the "note" field of the QBDL what the parameter(s) were. For example, "people with COMPANY beginning with ABC". How do I tell my administrator(?) to edit the note field? Don In ADSIEdit, ...

Changing Transaction Type
There are 3 types of transactions in MS Money 2002: Withdrawal, Deposit, and Transfer. I can't figure out how to change a Deposit to Transfer or visa versa. Anyone has any idea ? In microsoft.public.money, Al wrote: >There are 3 types of transactions in MS Money 2002: >Withdrawal, Deposit, and Transfer. > >I can't figure out how to change a Deposit to Transfer or >visa versa. > >Anyone has any idea ? Click the Activity and select Transfer using the little down-arrow of the drop-down list. Select the target of the transfer as the sub-category. Turn off t...