Problem with copying and pasting tasks and keeping predecessors in

I am doing a consulting project for an organization that has a bit of an
unusual request.  We are doing a conversion from an old mail system to
Microsoft Exchange 2007.  We have developed a checklist for the technicians
to follow with about 50 detailed tasks (things like, "Open up Exchange
Management Console", "Assure the 'Forward' Button is unchecked", etc.).

The CIO expects me to enter each of the tasks from the checklist into the
project plan.  Instead of having a line on the project plan with a task,
"Covert Leroy Smith's Mailbox" with a duration of 2 hours...the expectation
is to have a Roll-up task of "Convert Leroy Smith's Mailbox", with the 50
detailed tasks below.  Of course, when I do that, I need to enter the
predecessors in order to make the duration come out to the 2 hours it is
going to take.

Now for the problem:

I have setup three templates.  One is "Large User Mailbox Conversion", one
is "Medium User Mailbox Conversion" and one is "Small User Mailbox
Conversion".  Each one has the detailed tasks, durations for the tasks and
predecessors.  I want to copy and paste these items into the project plan for
each of the users we will be converting.  My problem is that when I do the
copy and paste operation, the predecessors are not copied with the
information.  I really do not want to go in and reset the predecessors for 50
tasks x 1450 users that are going to be converted.  Any ideas?

Spencer
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Make the three types of mailbox conversions summary tasks with the details
indented below them.  Collapse the tasks down onto the summary.  Copy/Paste
the Summary and the rename it from "Large Mailbox Conversion" to "Large
Mailbox Conversion - John Doe"

Something to remember, predecessors and successors will only copy for those
tasks "internal" to the summary.  If you have something else external to that
grouping, those specific dependencies will not copy.
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com