New PM with 80+ projects to supervise - suggestions needed

Hi all,

I was recently hired to help organize and track all the small development
projects in our IT department both to better set client expectations of
delivery, as well as improve our 10 developer staff's efficiency.

I chose Project for the upper level reporting and eventual costing I want to
get to, but I need help and suggestions for what I want to do at a developer
level.

We have multiple lines of business. At first I tried to put each business
unit in its own subproject and manage it from the master project using a
central resource pool. I've abandoned that due to problems reporting on a
developer's To-Do list.

So now, I've started fresh in a single master project file. I added a text
column to indicate with BU the project was for, but when looking up to do
lists in reports, I'm only seeing a blended task list, and it's not
separating the projects from each other. Example:

In Gantt chart view, set up as:

BUSINESS1   PROJECT1
BUSINESS1    -- Task1
BUSINESS1    -- Task2
BUSINESS1    -- Task3

BUSINESS1   PROJECT2
BUSINESS1    -- Task1
BUSINESS1    -- Task2
BUSINESS1    -- Task3

When I do a report > Assignments > To Do and select a resource, their task
list comes out

Task1
Task2
Task3
Task1
Task2
Task3

With no differentiation of PROJECT or BUSINESS UNIT.

I can't help but think there is an easier way to sit with my developers,
show them the next week's worth of tasks and adjust our schedule.

Thanks
Kate
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I can see at least two relatively easy options:

1) When you set up your custom fields, configure them to "Roll Down to the
Assignment Level."  You may have to go through and reenter the data at the
task level to get it to recalculate down to the assignment level (but I could
be wrong on that).
2) Then in the Resource or Task Usage Views, configure a custom Group
(Project > Group By) to group by those fields, remembering to group
assignments and not tasks.

Option #2

1) Use intelligent WBS codes - as described here:
http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm/archive/2010/03/03/using-intelligent-wbs-codes-in-microsoft-project.aspx

"KateC" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was recently hired to help organize and track all the small development
> projects in our IT department both to better set client expectations of
> delivery, as well as improve our 10 developer staff's efficiency.
>
> I chose Project for the upper level reporting and eventual costing I want to
> get to, but I need help and suggestions for what I want to do at a developer
> level.
>
> We have multiple lines of business. At first I tried to put each business
> unit in its own subproject and manage it from the master project using a
> central resource pool. I've abandoned that due to problems reporting on a
> developer's To-Do list.
>
> So now, I've started fresh in a single master project file. I added a text
> column to indicate with BU the project was for, but when looking up to do
> lists in reports, I'm only seeing a blended task list, and it's not
> separating the projects from each other. Example:
>
> In Gantt chart view, set up as:
>
> BUSINESS1   PROJECT1
> BUSINESS1    -- Task1
> BUSINESS1    -- Task2
> BUSINESS1    -- Task3
>
> BUSINESS1   PROJECT2
> BUSINESS1    -- Task1
> BUSINESS1    -- Task2
> BUSINESS1    -- Task3
>
> When I do a report > Assignments > To Do and select a resource, their task
> list comes out
>
> Task1
> Task2
> Task3
> Task1
> Task2
> Task3
>
> With no differentiation of PROJECT or BUSINESS UNIT.
>
> I can't help but think there is an easier way to sit with my developers,
> show them the next week's worth of tasks and adjust our schedule.
>
> Thanks
> Kate

"New" button activates send/receive
When I click the Send/Receive button, nothing happens. However, when I click the "New Message" button, in comes all my new messages. Also, the auto Send/Receive under Options (every 1 minute) is not working at all. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Much Appreciated, Dave ...

database schema
Hello, Just need an input /advice... what are the deliverables for a typical software development project for an external customer. is it a norm to give the database design schema to customer, if yes, then in which format. Regards I think you need to get a contract project manager in asap. You are guaranteed to get the wrong thing right (most popular game in project management unless you have sought complete clarity from your customer on what will make the project successful and detailed this information in a Business case. The database schema is usually part of th...

=?Utf-8?Q?Can=E2=80=99t_delete_e-mails_in_Queue?=
Hello, I am experiencing problems removing/deleting email from a queue. The sender is blank, these e-mails from an outgoing SMTP queue. I try to delete them and the Delete NDRs and Delete (no NDRs) are grayed out. Any ideas on how to delete them? The system is W2003 sp1, Exchange 2003 SP2 Thank you, ‘koz On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:43:01 -0700, koz <koz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > > > >I am experiencing problems removing/deleting email from a queue. The sender >is blank, these e-mails from an outgoing SMTP queue. I try to d...

Creating Dialog Pointer with new, causes Exception
Hello all, I've written an MFC app, which has a tabbed interface. When it starts up, it checks my registry key, to determine how many tabs it needs, it then creates each tab, and puts a custom non modal, child dialog on each tab. The problem is, in release mode, it can only create the first dialog, the second one causes a memory exception. It *looks* like MFC doesnt like me trying to initialize a pointer like so, when that pointer is NULL. m_pDialogs[i] = new CMyDialog; Thing is, isn't that the whole point of the new operator? And malloc for that matter? The only difference, th...

VBA project locked
Hi While importing the Calender package (Calendar80.Package) i got the following error "Package contains items that cannot be imported becuase their VBA project locked" Date Dialong , Microsoft Calender control 11.0 and Rm_Analysis Report were shown as locked How to resolve this ? ...

Seeking new Bank Recommendation
I am currently a BankOne customer, but am dropping them due to the new ATM service fee. BankOne now charges $1.50 per non-BankOne ATM transaction - this is in addition to what the local bank that runs the ATM charges. I travel A LOT and am always needing cash from a non-BankOne ATM. Unfortunately, BankOne is also the dominant bank in my area - ATMs in Walgreens, Dominicks, lots of branches. I am going to stand on principle and cancel my accounts w/ BankOne however. I was a Preferred Checking customer w/ BankOne for 10 years (no fees for anythign if you kept a $2500 minimum balance - maybe it ...

Need Training in office for CRM in Toronto, Onatrio
We just purchased the CRM. Can anyone refer a Microsoft partner/consultant that does CRM training. They need to be in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Thank you Jasmine On Dec 18, 4:36 pm, Jasmine <Jasm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We just purchased the CRM. Can anyone refer a Microsoft partner/consultant > that does CRM training. > They need to be in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. > Thank you > Jasmine Hi Jasmine, I am part of the largest Microsoft CRM partner in the world. We have offices across North America and are very tightly integrated to the Microsoft CRM Produc...

HELP! Need Access DB to show realtime changes in different location
Hi Guys, I was wondering about how access refreshes it's data within forms and it seems that it doesn't. If i have a form open in one location on a network and update fields on the form the changes are not shown on the form opened in another location. (I.e. if 2 users are in the same form at the same time and one adds a new record the other users form will not show this change). Is there anyway that Access can be setup to show real-time changes over multiple locations? Preferably without having to do a manual refresh by clicking a button or something. All i want to do is show change...

New Folder
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel How do I open a new folder to organize my documents? The document list in Word2008 for Mac is not like Word I've used before. Your description is very minimal at best, so I assume you are talking about the Save dialogue, and the fact that you cannot see all the folders in this dialogue, but merely a dropdown list with the most recently used folders. Click on the blue square next to the field in which you enter the document name, with the tiny triangle that is pointing down, and the dialogue will ...

New to formulas
I need help with formulas, or a math function. Bacically what I need to do is have Cell A2 subtract Cell A1 and be outputted to Cell B2. I have no idea how to start this. Thank You "Money 2006" <Money2006@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:030C062F-6374-4690-9829-3B0F25174C8C@microsoft.com... >I need help with formulas, or a math function. > > Bacically what I need to do is have Cell A2 subtract Cell A1 and be > outputted to Cell B2. > > I have no idea how to start this. > > Thank You > In cell B2 type "=A2-A1" (without...

Subforms won't refresh after new record 11-17-09
Access 2003, XP Pro I have a main form with two separate subforms. I view various records by clicking on some list boxes. To add a new record, I select Records, Data Entry. I then (1) Make a selection in a combo on the main form. (2) Make a selection in a combo and enter some text in a textbox on subform1 (3) Make a selection in a combo on subform2 Subform2 has some code on the After Update event that saves the new record and goes to a previously selected record in cbo1 on the main form (cbo2 has code on the After Update event to go to that record). Here's the cod...

Formula Help Needed #2
I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer on this. Ok let me first give a little background info. I have a spreadsheet of my raw data (spreadsheet a) it has 4 categories, account#, client name, balance amount and a code (1-7). The code tells me what internal business category each account falls under. I have another spreadsheet (spreadsheet b) that takes the raw data of a. and puts it into a neat easy to read report. What I need is a formula that will look through the entirety of spreadsheet a and first, determine let’s say how many code 1’s there are ( I know this can be a...

I Need a Formula for setting up what to charge for equipment rent.
i need a formula to set hourly charges for renting out construction equipment such as Backhoes, Bulldozers etc. You need to determine what the formula to calculate these charges are, in English, and then maybe we can help with the SS formula. -- HTH RP "chippian" <chippian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85434E7B-D99B-4FCE-9382-DF5FE1DE8EFF@microsoft.com... > i need a formula to set hourly charges for renting out construction equipment > such as Backhoes, Bulldozers etc. =IF(renter="BVL",$2/hr, $1000/hr) with grin best wishes -- Be...

Need Money????
Need Money, visit http://dinero4ever.blogspot.com Now!!! ...

Desperate! Need Contact in Day-Timer transfered to Outlook 2003
Please, there must be a way! I've been reading and trying everything! Everytime I come to some impassible stumbling block. I know a little, but am far from techy. If someone out there has/had Day-Timer Organizer v. 3.95 and successfully transfered the contact data into their Outlook 2003 Contacts or even better their BCM Contacts, please tell me how! Please?! what formats does daytimer support for exporting? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.s...

Mailbox needs reducing
We have this mailbox that has been left for months and with no limits, it's now 11GB!! Ho can I trim in down, I don't really want to go into the mailbox and do it, can Exchange do it? In news:euNRN1iPHHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl, Gonzo <no@no.com> typed: > We have this mailbox that has been left for months and with no > limits, it's now 11GB!! > > Ho can I trim in down, I don't really want to go into the mailbox and > do it, can Exchange do it? Presuming you're not on 5x or earlier, you can use mailbox management policies to get rid of items ol...

How to add new entity?
Hi. I'm now researching the customization abilities of MS CRM 1.2. So I have a small task, which I'm not able to accomplish with SDK. The main question is how to add additional entity to CRM? I need to add entity "Pets", and dictionary "PetTypes". Pets should be linked with Contacts (1:M). Pets should have 3 attributes: - Name (string of 150 chars), - Type (value from PetTypes dictionary), - Description (string of 1000 chars) PetTypes should have 3 entries: "Cat", "Dog" and "Parrot" I expect that i...

A first look at the new Office Snapin for MSCRM
http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann -- John [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm. ...

Setting Outlook settings to new server
We are in the process of moving mailboxes to a new server. Is there a utility or ad policy to automatically configure outlook to point to the new exchange server? Instead of manually configuring the users outlook profile. On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:15:01 -0800, Rich <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are in the process of moving mailboxes to a new server. Is there a utility >or ad policy to automatically configure outlook to point to the new exchange >server? Instead of manually configuring the users outlook profile. If you are moving the mailboxes in the same org vi...

Need help on a formula 05-20-10

I need help restoring Public Folders
Hi I've been having issues getting Public Folder replication going between 2 Exchange 2003 servers. Prior to doing any work I performed a Backup using Veritas Backup Exec and this completed and verified correctly. I screwed things up and managed to delete some of the public folders on my original server. I'm not 100% sure what I did but it is a mess and the only backup I have is the Exchange backup I created before doing any work. The public folders contain a number of Contact Lists and a very important Event Calendar. I have restored the public folders but when the restore c...

Error creating new task
Error .. "Could not complete operation. One or more parameter values are not vaild" ...

Need to import EDI file
Hello. I have an EDI TS-130 file (academic transcript) that I would like to import into Access 2003. Is this possible to do for free? If so, how? ...

You wont believe this! SERVER DOWN
I was helping the operations/it director to get RPC over HTTP going on their exchange server for a company I use to be the sys admin for. The ops/it director was doing the add/remove programs portion to add rpc over http there, somehow in the process of doing this he managed to uninstall IIS -or- just NNTP and SMTP (I can't figure out which and he claims he did neither). Long story short, I've reinstalled NNTP and SMTP, reconfigured SMTP to the best recollection I have of the previous config and the server still refuses to send/receive email, even internally. All services are s...