Need an MS Project guru to help me consolidate a schedule in MS Pr

I have been a project schedule with a ridiculously long timeline to condense
into a 6 month period.  I can't figure out how to change the task duration on
the section headers.  I've changed the task durations and work hours, but the
headers and it keeps the overall timeline the same.

Help!!!
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The answer is yes, I will help.

Do you have tasks with date constraints?
Does every task have at least one FS predecessor and one FS successor?
Do you have predecessors with positive lag?
Do you have predecessors with negative lag?
Do you have any predecessor/successor links to/from the summaries?
Do you have a clear, well defined critical path?
Does it make sense?
Do you have calculation set to auto?
Do you have leveling set to manual?
Do you have resources assigned to the tasks?
Do you have resource over-allocation?
Are you using leveling?
Which leveling options and settings are you using?
Do you have various calendars for the project, the tasks and the resources?
+ other questions...

We can go through a tortuous process of you trying to describe it and me
(us) making suggestions and trying to eliminate the problems starting with
the most obvious and hoping to get lucky.
But it is pretty much a waste of time talking about it without being able to
see it.
Show me.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"newbie at MS Project" <newbie at MS Project@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:F4918C15-843F-4531-963C-232E73C4BC0A@microsoft.com...
>I have been a project schedule with a ridiculously long timeline to
>condense
> into a 6 month period.  I can't figure out how to change the task duration
> on
> the section headers.  I've changed the task durations and work hours, but
> the
> headers and it keeps the overall timeline the same.
>
> Help!!!

0
Trevor
2/21/2010 1:28:30 AM
"Section Headers" are summary tasks and most of their attributes (such as
work and duration) are calculated read-only values based on their
subordinate subtasks.  To change a summary, you have to change its subtasks.

Consider whether it's even going to be physically possible to condense the
timeline as you wish.  IMHO, one of the great fallacies of project
management is that you can arbitrarily pick a timeframe in which to do the
project and expect it to actually happen that way, the belief that
will-power is the determining factor.  But the reality is that many, if not
most, of the tasks in a project have a maximum rate beyond which they simply
cannot progress.  As an example, if you have 1 paint sprayer that lays down
10 square feet per hour and 400 square feet of wall to paint, it will take
you at least 40 hours to complete the task no matter how badly you want it
done sooner and there's not a thing you can do about unless you can either
get another sprayer or upgrade to a faster one.  You can't base your
schedule on how soon you want it, you have to base it on how long it's going
to take.  It could be that the minimum individual task durations and the
physically mandatory sequence in which they must be performed simply make it
impossible for the project to be completed in 6 months
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"newbie at MS Project" <newbie at MS Project@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:F4918C15-843F-4531-963C-232E73C4BC0A@microsoft.com...
>I have been a project schedule with a ridiculously long timeline to
>condense
> into a 6 month period.  I can't figure out how to change the task duration
> on
> the section headers.  I've changed the task durations and work hours, but
> the
> headers and it keeps the overall timeline the same.
>
> Help!!!

0
Steve

Need help to read Pie Chart Series Range
Excel 2003, I have an existing Pie Chart and want to extract the Ranges (cells) used. My code below returns with a "Type mismatch" error. Sub GetPieChartSeries() Dim mySeries As Series ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Activate Set mySeries = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1) Debug.Print mySeries.XValues (errors here) Debug.Print mySeries.Values End Sub Thanks, - Pat ...

need Help for Migration Exchange 5.5
Hello NG, we`ve the following Configuration : - Exchange 5.5 with SP4 - single Winwos 2000 DC - configured both side ADC a new Hardware should be used for an Exchange 2003 and second DC. next steps i would do as following : - Update ADC Version with Exchange 2003 ADC - running Exchange 2003 forestprep, then domainprep, an after all running setup to install Exchange 2003 in the same organization, site - replicate system Folders and public Folders - moving all Mailboxes to the Exchange 2003 Store - configure the Exchange 2003 virtual SMTP Server to send outgoing Mail - reconfigure the F...

Word Doc Macro help needed please!
I need to make a mocro that will work in a word doc. This macro would start with [000001] and count up one number each paragraph. For example paragraph two would auto show [000002] and so on. Any help would be GREAT! I have a word file which contains 100 pages. All the pages have name & address of companies.(not in table) i have to transfer them to excel in column format(for example first name, last name, address, phone etc) can any one tell me code for this( i know how to open word & creat new excel sheet) . I need code for how to reach to lines of word. r there any thing like &quo...

Do I need a licence to distribute MSFLXGRD.OCX?
I wish to use the MS FlexGrid control in my Access database. Do I need a licence to distribute MSFLXGRD.OCX? Pual Paul H wrote: > I wish to use the MS FlexGrid control in my Access database. > > Do I need a licence to distribute MSFLXGRD.OCX? If you also use a VB application, the answer is no. But you will need to build and deploy a VB application to distribute and register the OCX. You cannot distribute it with an Office application alone. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Arvin Meyer [MVP]"...

Printing changes layout
I am printing a booklet on Pub 2002 - when I print one page, it prints a page where everything has changed - resized, cut off the edges, etc. The worst part - when done printing, it goes back to normal view and it actually changes my layout to match what is printed - permanently. Any ideas what is going on? I printed on both my Lexmark and HP printers, does the same thing. I have Windows XP. Help! Thanks! Look at your page layout, has it changed? I know this will happen to me occasionally when I change printers. If I change back to the original printer the publication will revert...

Help With Sorting #3
Gudday to all XL gurus. I need some help on using the SORT function. I have a list of 100 competitors in a scoring spreadsheet that I hav written. I was trying to sort by surname (a-z). The problem is that this list i generated elsewhere and contains VLOOKUP functions. Obviously if i hav less than 100 competitors I end up with some cells appear blank bu contain VLOOKUP functions. XL sorts them first and I want them sorte last after the surnames (a-z). I cant add a helper column as this lis relates to over 48,000 forumulaes and functions that are already added If I add a helper column I have...

Need help converting Microsoft Outlook calendar to Entourage.... At wits' end here! Please advise...
I have a Mac at work which runs Microsoft Outlook 2001 client on an Exchange server. I have a calendar on this machine (stored locally, not on the server) which has a ton of reminders programmed into it - very useful! Now, at home I got a new Mac laptop with Entourage X. Is there any way to move all of the reminders (appointments) from my calendar on Outlook to my Entourage calendar? I've tried two things: 1) I exported the calendar info as a CSV text file, and then tried importing it in Entourage. The problem is that Entourage import function seems to think it's importing an Address...

I need a list of command line switches for Microsoft WORD.
I am using a Shell command to execute Microsoft WORD 2003. I need to halt execution of VBA code until WORD finishes it's task. Is there a command line switch for WORD to cause it to pause the VBA function until it is finished? Is there a VBA command to pause execution of code until WORD finishes? Thanks. I am pretty sure the answer to your specific question is "No". If you tell us exactly what you are doing, including from where the Shell command is being executed, maybe we can suggest another way that will overcome the problem. -- Hope this helps. Please r...

help with lookup formula (sheet 2, not a double post)
I need to make a formula using a lookup. The first spreadsheet is a inventory (ALO INVENTORY JP). The second (P&G 103) is a chart tha tells number of gallons of alcohol per foot/inch/fraction. On ALO INVENTORY JP I insert the # of feet, inches, and the fraction i cells R5 and T5. I want these numbers to lookup the number of gallon off of the P&G 103 worksheet. For example: P&G 103 (on inventory sheet) is 26ft 4 1/2 inches, i should look-up to be 34572 gal. for the 26'4" and 55 gal. for the 1/2" These two numbers should be added together and multiplied by the numbe ...

Help!! Way to find users sending email to large amount of receipients.
Could some one tell me if there is a way in Exchange 2003 to find out what users are sending email to a large amount of recipients? I'm having some serious performance issues and I'm sure it's some one sending email to a large amount of recipients. Thanks, Will ...

Help #15
I have a problem. I have a list of numbers that are in one column. Alot of numbers 8000 or so, and I need to find if there are an duplicates. I sort them so that they are in order, but having t scroll through the whole list takes alot of time and hurts my eyes!! I tried advanced filter but I can only find how to find duplicates in different columns. Someone help me please! ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step...

Help with displaying the contents of the last populate cell.
I have numerous sheets within a book where all cells in column C in all sheets have the following formula “=IF(ISBLANK(P4),"",(R3-P4))”. For you reference both columns P and R hold a monetary value and are formatted as Currency. Is there a way that cell D1 can automatically be populated with the contents of the last cell in column C that has a value in it. E.G. Sheet 1, cell C19 has a value of 200, therefore cell D1 should be 200. Sheet 2, cell C25 has a value of 250, therefore cell D1 should be 250. Sheet 3, cell C99 has a value of 900, therefore cell D1 should be 900. Any h...

Help on filter
HI, I have a list to filter. I have to keep only integers. I tried everything in advanced filters... does not work. Can you help me please? Thanks Sylvai -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way: use a helper column. Lets say your numbers are in column A then enter the following formula in an adjacent cell for row 2 =IF(MOD(A1,1)=0,"X","") copy this down for all rows. After this filter with this helper column -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > HI, > I have a list to filter. I have to keep only integers. > I tried everything in ...

help!
Hi I have been given a dataset with data,but the problem is now i need to create membership cards,which i plan to use the label wizard in reports,but i also have to display the intials of the customer but i have not been given the fields for intials just forename and last name.Is there maybe a way of running a query to search for some of the forename field to use as my intial???? thanks ! I thought I had seen this post a day or two ago and it was answered. If you want Initial and Last name Left(FirstName,1) & " " & LastName -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP &qu...

Pointing to correct macro path using excel custom toolbar
I have created an excel 2000 template (.xlt) containing a number o macros. When I open copies of this template on various pcs, the macro function correctly, except I cannot successfully run the macros usin the custom toolbar I created, because (I think) within the toolbar th paths to the macros are pointed to the original location on my pc. An advice on how I can resolve this would be gratefully received -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you thought about building the toolbar when the file opens? Or maybe separating the worksheet portion of the template from the code pa...

MS Exchange Server
I do not have Outlook installed on my home computer, which has WinXP installed, but I do at work so I am somewhat familiar with it. Recently whenever I try to click on a "Contact Us" link in a web page, a window opens for MS Exchange Server. I am pretty sure that has something to do with Outlook, but I do not think it has anything to do with Outlook Express. Why has this started happening and how do I remove it. I cannot use the "contact us" function on Any webpage. Thanks mmobilman In IE go to Tools - Internet Options - Program Tab and make sure your desired email p...

Need to create a VB script for Microsoft Outlook
Hi Folks, I am a newbie to VB scripting. I have this problem I need to solve in outlook. Often we have seen when people reply to emails, they say "please see my comments inline marked BlahBlah". Whenever people do such inline commenting, I would like the script to copy that info to the top of that email, along with a "link" to that embedded line. When the user click that line, the cursor show point the actual place where that comment was made. Pls let me know how can I implement in a VB script.. When the user right clicks the mouse at the end of of his embedde...

Hide row code help
I am using the following script to hide or unhide rows. How do I code the offset to only work when a row is being unhid. If we cant do this only offset when it is being hidden or unhidden? Thank you Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) 'Application.EnableEvents = False' not necessary If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Range("B9")) Is Nothing Then Rows("10:11").Hidden = IIf(UCase(Range("B9")) = "", True, False) 'spelling ActiveCell.Offset(-6, 0).Select End If 'Application.EnableEvents = False ...

Template for scheduleing office supply purchases
I am looking for a template for scheduling office supply purchases for a small business. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I didn't look, but there are tons of free templates at: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx And you could search google, too. Precast wrote: > > I am looking for a template for scheduling office supply purchases for a > small business. Any suggestions will be appreciated. -- Dave Peterson ...

Possible Repost: MS CRM 1.3 Exams Revamp
Received this email yesterday: Improved Microsoft CRM Exams Microsoft Business Solutions will release three improved Microsoft CRM certification exams. The exams will become available worldwide through VUE testing centers on August 15, 2004 and Prometric testing centers on September 15, 2004. The improved exams are: Applications Professional, Customization, and Installation and Configuration. With the demand and volume of exam attempts as well as market feedback, the improvements incorporate updates and changes that are designed to better measure of the proficiency threshold for Micro...

Help with macro/and or formula?

help when bills are automatically debited from my bank
I had and tried Money 2002. I entered my data about a dozen times. Things "looked" great, but the program never quite worked for me, partic. with respect to reconciling/balancing my account. I heard Money 2004 made things much easier, so I bought that but I am having the same problems. I think it might have to do with how my bill payments are set up and how I enter those transaction into Money when I first provide the info: I do online banking with Citibank. Since Money and Citibank don't have the automatic connection, I have to download statements from Citibank in...

Cannot figure ot formula-HELP Please
I have a spreadsheet that I use every month to fill in the net amoun each customer purchases for the month. I am trying to keep year-to-date total of each customer's purhase. I am lookng for formula in column C which will add column A, however when i delete th current month's net totals in column A, column C will keep the year t date data, and add the new month's data in input in column A...doe this make sense? please help. Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi if I understood you correctly this can't be achieved with formulas as you delete...

Help with Scroll and Zoom Bar for Candle Chart
I am currently doing data manipulation for my series of data. I have Time, Open, High, Low, Close. There are approximately 6000 rows of data that I need to input into the Candle Chart and to do that I require a Scroll and Zoom function. I have been using a template for Scroll/Zoom for a normal basic Line Chart and attempted to reconfigure for a Candle Chart. I have named the following: SCROLLVALUE=Sheet1!$S$31 SERIES1==OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$1,SCROLLVALUE,0,ZOOMVALUE,1) SERIES2==OFFSET(Sheet1!$C$1,SCROLLVALUE,0,ZOOMVALUE,1) SERIES3==OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$1,SCROLLVALUE,0,ZOOMVALUE,1) SERIES4==OFFSET(Shee...

HELP, My chart dosen't work correctly.
I am working in Excell XP. I have a chart I need to do, but can't get i to work. The chart needs to have a list of text on the left, y axis and it needs to be JUSTIFIED text with text wrap. On the right needs t be a BAR chart showing survey question results. When I get the text to wrap the bars no longer line up with th questions. I am having a hard time with this. Then it must be able t print portrait style on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. Any help would be appreciated. Marshal ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet ...