MS Project Task Start Times

Hello - I am fairly new to MS Project and am having some problems with a
Project Plan created for a class I am in.

All of the tasks that have the same predecessor automatically have the same
start date (even with resources assigned).  My instructor is saying that
Project will automatically adjust task start times depending on resource
availability.  My tasks just won't do this.

Is this true?   She posted an example of her project plan and I noticed that
she did not use a start date constraint for these tasks yet they were
organized seemingly to resource availability.

Is there a setting (maybe work type of something) that needs to be changed?
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

There are a couple of separate topic intertwined here.

Every resource can have its own individual calendar.
You can see this by going to the resource sheet view and double click on a
resource for Resource Information.
Then you can exclude days where the resource is not available, and any task
with that resource assigned will be scheduled to occur when the resource is
available.

Also, you cannot allow resources to be over-allocated, ie double booked.
So you can use the built-in leveling functionality to delay tasks (Tolls,
Resource Leveling).

Have a look, let us know how you go.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

"JEKoenig" <JEKoenig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello - I am fairly new to MS Project and am having some problems with a
> Project Plan created for a class I am in.
>
> All of the tasks that have the same predecessor automatically have the
> same
> start date (even with resources assigned).  My instructor is saying that
> Project will automatically adjust task start times depending on resource
> availability.  My tasks just won't do this.
>
> Is this true?   She posted an example of her project plan and I noticed
> that
> she did not use a start date constraint for these tasks yet they were
> organized seemingly to resource availability.
>
> Is there a setting (maybe work type of something) that needs to be
> changed?

0
Trevor
1/19/2010 3:54:58 AM
On Jan 19, 8:14=A0am, JEKoenig <JEKoe...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hello - I am fairly new to MS Project and am having some problems with a
> Project Plan created for a class I am in. =A0
>
> All of the tasks that have the same predecessor automatically have the sa=
me
> start date (even with resources assigned). =A0My instructor is saying tha=
> Project will automatically adjust task start times depending on resource
> availability. =A0My tasks just won't do this. =A0
>
> Is this true? =A0 She posted an example of her project plan and I noticed=
 that
> she did not use a start date constraint for these tasks yet they were
> organized seemingly to resource availability.
>
> Is there a setting (maybe work type of something) that needs to be change=
d?

JEKoenig - Yes, your instructor is right. Project uses the calendar of
the resource to schedule the task, but does not verify if the same
resource is available to work during that period. This is because,
Project (by default) follows CPM technique which assumes resource
availablity should be ignored.

May be your instructor, has turned ON the auto-leveling radio button
under Tools | Level Resources dialog box. Due to which, when a
resource is not available to work on that day, Project *automatically*
delays that task based on Leveling order prioirty (of Level Resources
dialog box).

If this answers your question, consider rating my response.

Thank - Sai, PMP, PMI-SP, MCT, MCTS
http://saipower.wordpress.com
0
Sai
1/19/2010 4:31:16 AM
Thanks for the response.

I realize that the auto leveling feature works for this, but we were told
not to use it.  (I did test it though and yes - it works nicely).

The whole reason I am over allocated is because everything with the same
predissesor starts on the same day.  The only way that I can change it is to
add a specific start date (Constraint).   I can do that, but it just does not
seem like what the instructor is going for (in fact she did not do that).

On Jan 19, 9:43=A0am, JEKoenig <JEKoe...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I realize that the auto leveling feature works for this, but we were told
> not to use it. =A0(I did test it though and yes - it works nicely).
>
> The whole reason I am over allocated is because everything with the same
> predissesor starts on the same day. =A0The only way that I can change it =
is to
> add a specific start date (Constraint). =A0 I can do that, but it just do=
es not
> seem like what the instructor is going for (in fact she did not do that).=
 =A0

> "Trevor Rabey" wrote:
> > There are a couple of separate topic intertwined here.
>
> > Every resource can have its own individual calendar.
> > You can see this by going to the resource sheet view and double click o=
n a
> > resource for Resource Information.
> > Then you can exclude days where the resource is not available, and any =
task
> > with that resource assigned will be scheduled to occur when the resourc=
e is
> > available.
>
> > Also, you cannot allow resources to be over-allocated, ie double booked=
..
> > So you can use the built-in leveling functionality to delay tasks (Toll=
s,
> > Resource Leveling).
>
> > Have a look, let us know how you go.
> > --
> > Trevor Rabey
> > 0407213955
> > 61 8 92727485
> > PERFECT PROJECT PLANNING
> >www.perfectproject.com.au
>
> > "JEKoenig" <JEKoe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello - I am fairly new to MS Project and am having some problems wit=
h a
> > > Project Plan created for a class I am in.
>
> > > All of the tasks that have the same predecessor automatically have th=
> > > same
> > > start date (even with resources assigned). =A0My instructor is saying=
 that
> > > Project will automatically adjust task start times depending on resou=
rce
> > > availability. =A0My tasks just won't do this.
>
> > > Is this true? =A0 She posted an example of her project plan and I not=
iced
> > > that
> > > she did not use a start date constraint for these tasks yet they were
> > > organized seemingly to resource availability.
>
> > > Is there a setting (maybe work type of something) that needs to be
> > > changed?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, if "Auto-leveling" is turned "ON", Project will check and level
the resource assignments for *every* change in informaiton in task,
resources and assignments. So, this will effectively degrade the
performance of your system; so that's why instructor has indicated to
turn it OFF.

So, I see you are adding constraints to the tasks to resource
overallocation. As per the definition and example of of constraints in
Project help file, it says "Example: You have a task that must start
on a particular date, so you set a Must Start On constraint. ..." -
impling you go for constraints, only if have a date by which you need
start or finish a task due to external dependency.

Looking at your response, I sense you are not yet introducted to
"manual" leveling in Project.  To make it simple for you, follow the
below steps
1) Add the column "field: Leveling Delay" to your Gantt Chart.
2) Provide the number of elapsed days (which ignores the non-working
of the calendar of the task) in this column; you will observe delay
the task will be delayed

Though, you will get the same result in either way - through
constraints (or) through leveling delay; the difference is constraints
will make your schedule inflexible, but the leveling delay is updated
when you use the leveling feature (Tools | Level Resources ...
option).

If this answers your question, consider rating my response.

Thank - Sai, PMP, PMI-SP, MCT, MCTS
http://saipower.wordpress.com
0
Sai
1/19/2010 5:00:26 AM
Look, the advice you have received is dodgy.
If you have tried leveling and it works, why not use it?
What was the reason for the advice not to use it?
Does someone say that it does not work?
Are you aware that everyone in this newsgroup who knows anything knows that
leveling works great?

Date constraints are not a solution to any problem. But they are a good way
to create problems.

If your tasks all have a common predecessor then they will all be sceduled
to start on the same day because that is their earliest start.
Only task calendars, resource calendars, leveling or date constraints can
cause them to start any other time.

Are the predecessor links FS with 0 lag, or something like "FS+1 Day", "FS+2
Days" etc.
Your instructor might be using lag to force the tasks to be delayed in order
to resolve the over-allocation, in which case it is the wrong way to go
about it.
--

> Thanks for the response.
>
> I realize that the auto leveling feature works for this, but we were told
> not to use it.  (I did test it though and yes - it works nicely).
>
> The whole reason I am over allocated is because everything with the same
> predissesor starts on the same day.  The only way that I can change it is
> add a specific start date (Constraint).   I can do that, but it just does
> not
> seem like what the instructor is going for (in fact she did not do that).
>

> "Trevor Rabey" wrote:
>
>> There are a couple of separate topic intertwined here.
>>
>> Every resource can have its own individual calendar.
>> You can see this by going to the resource sheet view and double click on
>> resource for Resource Information.
>> Then you can exclude days where the resource is not available, and any
>> task
>> with that resource assigned will be scheduled to occur when the resource
>> is
>> available.
>>
>> Also, you cannot allow resources to be over-allocated, ie double booked.
>> So you can use the built-in leveling functionality to delay tasks (Tolls,
>> Resource Leveling).
>>
>> Have a look, let us know how you go.
>> --
>> Trevor Rabey
>> 0407213955
>> 61 8 92727485
>> PERFECT PROJECT PLANNING
>> www.perfectproject.com.au
>>
>> "JEKoenig" <JEKoenig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello - I am fairly new to MS Project and am having some problems with
>> > Project Plan created for a class I am in.
>> >
>> > All of the tasks that have the same predecessor automatically have the
>> > same
>> > start date (even with resources assigned).  My instructor is saying
>> > that
>> > Project will automatically adjust task start times depending on
>> > resource
>> > availability.  My tasks just won't do this.
>> >
>> > Is this true?   She posted an example of her project plan and I noticed
>> > that
>> > she did not use a start date constraint for these tasks yet they were
>> > organized seemingly to resource availability.
>> >
>> > Is there a setting (maybe work type of something) that needs to be
>> > changed?
>>

>> .

0
Trevor
1/19/2010 5:20:22 AM
Use the leveling tool? Yes!  Set it to "automatic?" No, leave it on "manual"
so you can decide when leveling should be run.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"JEKoenig" <JEKoenig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I realize that the auto leveling feature works for this, but we were told
> not to use it.  (I did test it though and yes - it works nicely).
>
> The whole reason I am over allocated is because everything with the same
> predissesor starts on the same day.  The only way that I can change it is
> add a specific start date (Constraint).   I can do that, but it just does
> not
> seem like what the instructor is going for (in fact she did not do that).
>

> "Trevor Rabey" wrote:
>
>> There are a couple of separate topic intertwined here.
>>
>> Every resource can have its own individual calendar.
>> You can see this by going to the resource sheet view and double click on
>> resource for Resource Information.
>> Then you can exclude days where the resource is not available, and any
>> task
>> with that resource assigned will be scheduled to occur when the resource
>> is
>> available.
>>
>> Also, you cannot allow resources to be over-allocated, ie double booked.
>> So you can use the built-in leveling functionality to delay tasks (Tolls,
>> Resource Leveling).
>>
>> Have a look, let us know how you go.
>> --
>> Trevor Rabey
>> 0407213955
>> 61 8 92727485
>> PERFECT PROJECT PLANNING
>> www.perfectproject.com.au
>>
>> "JEKoenig" <JEKoenig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello - I am fairly new to MS Project and am having some problems with
>> > Project Plan created for a class I am in.
>> >
>> > All of the tasks that have the same predecessor automatically have the
>> > same
>> > start date (even with resources assigned).  My instructor is saying
>> > that
>> > Project will automatically adjust task start times depending on
>> > resource
>> > availability.  My tasks just won't do this.
>> >
>> > Is this true?   She posted an example of her project plan and I noticed
>> > that
>> > she did not use a start date constraint for these tasks yet they were
>> > organized seemingly to resource availability.
>> >
>> > Is there a setting (maybe work type of something) that needs to be
>> > changed?
>>

>> .

0
Steve

Exchange Task
Hello all, Wondering if there is any issues with large mailboxes (10GB) and the move mailbox exchange task. We are currently running Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2 on Windows 2003SP1, we are migrating to new hardware, again Exchange 2003 SP2 and Windows 2003 SP1. I have moved a few mailboxes already to the new server and all is functioning well. The biggest mailbox moved so far is 2.5GB. Our company presidents mailbox is 10GB - I am apprehensive if this tool might act up when moving this size of a mailbox. Anyone move this size mailbox in the past, any issues, suggestions comme...

MS Outlook Publishing HTML Forms
Hello, I am attempting to publish a form to my companies Organizational Forms Library. While I am able to do publish the form, when I call it up I get some problems. This form is in HTML (i also have a word version, but would prefer a simple HTML). It has a few drop down menus, check boxes, and text fields. This does not have any database features (does not need it). I am trying to allow my sales force to fill out the form to submit certain requests. This form, once filled out, gets e-mailed to the appropriate company employees (pre-filled). When I publish this form, and then I open it u...

Access 2007 Corrupt VB Project
Hi Everyone, When I tried to open an Access 2007 database I had been working on, I got a message saying that the database couldn't be opened because the Visual Basic project in the database was corrupt. It gave me the option to press "OK" and lose all the VB modules in the database, or press "cancel", get out of Access, and make a backup of the database. I did this, then tried to reopen the original database. I got the same message about corruption. This time I pressed "OK", and sure enough, all the VB code was gone. I found a KB article on the MSDN site ...

how can i find out the % complete of all tasks in my project?
I am trying to find the duration and the % of work complete. When I go to the project statistics I am getting the duration, but the work complete always reads - 0%. this happens when I am near completion of a project. What am I missing? Susan, I'm assuming that you have been tracking progress as the project progressed in Project? If yes, simply display % Complete or % Work Complete as a new column (right mouse click on header and click insert column ...). Also in Menu: Tools/Options, click on "Show Project Summary Task" in the View Tab. Jim Askell has ...

Windows Mail suddenly started asking for sign on information.
My Windows mail started asking for sign on information but will not accept the information. I am getting the below message. I have gone into "tools", "accounts", and changed the settings without success as well as "advanced" and clicked on the SSL boxes for both (they were initially not checked) all without success. Help! Thanks The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E -- PDP ...

Outlook received time incorrect
Hi, I've set my machine's timezone according to Microsoft's instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/914387 I can send an email to myself at 9:00, and it'll be shown in "sent items" as sent at 9:00. But, my Inbox will display the email as if it was sent at 10:00. When viewing the mail, it specifies that it was sent at 9:00. So my problem is that for some reason, although the mail contains information that it was sent at 9:00, outlook's inbox displays it at 10:00. Note: all my calendar items are displayed correctly, and my calender options dis...

Produce a double sided leaflet in MS Office or Publisher
I want to Produce a double sided leaflet in MS Office or Publisher. The leaflet needs to be double sided & folded, and would appear in book form - but with only approximately 8 sheets of paper. Are there any blank formats I can use. Many thanks for your time. Setup your page as a booklet. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "G P Kent" <G P Kent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:243CC6A1-7C69-4839-A9F2-2D57934E8732@microsoft.com... >I want to Produce a double sided leaflet in MS O...

Hi Guys. First Time Poster
Hi guys. First time poster long time reader. Just wanted to say "Hi" ;) On a side note my Hubby is REAL excited about this new IPO stock GRDX. They just started trading this one like 2 days ago. It's already almost doubled in just 2 days! My Husband is really excited about this stock. Say's it could make us some really BIG money. You guys should check it out. Just spreading the wealth ;) Go to http://www.otcbb.com and check symbol : GRDX you will see how big the growth is :) Let me know what you guys think ;) -- noah799 ...

giving Permission for EVERY Task ?
UserA create 2 tasks: Task1 and Task2 is it possible to give permission (Mofigy, delete the task) to some Users for every task, For example only for Task1 (no permission given to others for Task2). I appeciate any help No. Outlook provides no way to manage permissions at the item level. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Faure" <philippe.faure@techn.alstom.com> wrote in message news:e1cae33d.0411030222.6f0c5612@posting.goo...

Time Card Report #2
Does anyone know if there is a more user friendly template for Time Card report ? We pay employees every 2 weeks and whenever I run a 2 week report, it only shows one date and below this date it sums up 2 dates of cumulative time worked instead of showing the isolated 2 dates. In other words, under a Monday 5/1, it will show 15 hours which actually means that the person worked cumulatively 15 hours on Monday 5/1 AND Monday 5/8... but Time Card report doesn't show the 5/8 separately which is quite confusing and invonvenient. Any help would be highly appreciated! Here is an addit...

POS v.2.0 Time Clock display
Is there a file in the File Center that would permit us to implement an aggregate method so our employees can see the total hours worked when they view the Time Clock function? I'm not aware of any way to do this beyond running a report in Manager View, but it's a great suggestion. You should enter this into the suggestion database through CustomerSource. There isn't a selection for POS 2.0, so choose RMS when submitting. https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/ "M Kalmus" <MKalmus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25523729-D448-4885-AF...

import of MS outlook files
When I follow the instructions to import mbox format files into entourage I cannot get the import wizard to import the file, even though I can see it. OR I need an easier way to export MS Outlook 2004 email folders and import them to MS Entourage 08 ...

Question about Run-to cursor--I want to "start at cursor"
Is there a way to start an Access Module at any other place other than the top. Similar to "go to". I have seen the run to cursor option where it stops at the cursor, I want it to "start at cursor" "Dea" <Dea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D9EB7E9-B15C-45B3-A67A-01137E846F6F@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to start an Access Module at any other place other than the > top. Similar to "go to". I have seen the run to cursor option where it > stops at the cursor, I want it to "start at cursor" T...

Need a Historical Report for RBNI in Project Accounting
Right now this report only works at a point in time. We need to be able to print it for last month, last week, etc. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=2339fa6...

ms money #2
I just posted and hit the ok button and the screen went away. Quickly, do I need to uninstall Money standard before installing Money 2004 Premium, or can I install Premium over the standard version, saving my financial info.? Thanks Respond through the forum or email me at sloday@swbell.net Thanks You should be able to install straight over. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp o...

Daylight Saving time changed events
Once again, the automatic switch to daylight saving time caused my one-day events to now span two days. This seems to happen somewhat randomly, not with all the one-day events. I seem to recall a patch that was supposed to fix this, but apparently it no longer works. I have way to many events to individually change each one, that and I do not know if the span went ahead or behind (e.g. for an event now covering the 9th and 10th, I do not know if the original date was the 9th or the 10th). How do I fix this? Windows XP sp2, Outlook 2003 sp3 -- Thank you, John Grego...

Time Frame
I have the following in a query that my report is based off of Between [Forms]![frmEventsCalendar].[EStart] And [Forms]![frmEventsCalendar].[EEnd] this works great, I get the count of Product Events, Docks and so on in my report for the given time frame but now my boss wants my report to look backwards as well ex. time frame 7/1/2007 thru 8/1/2007 and it works perfect we get the exact info we are looking for but now my boss want to select a time frame get the info in the time frame as well as 30 days prior to the time frame. I have tried to put -30 after [EStart] and [EEnd] and other...

Time input in w/sheet #2
I had a problem which was resolved (or so I thought) yesterday regarding input of time. I was kindly given the solution Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Dim TimeStr As String On Error GoTo EndMacro If Application.Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A10")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub End If If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub End If If Target.Value = "" Then Exit Sub End If Application.EnableEvents = False With Target If .HasFormula = False Then Select Case Len(.Value) Case 1 ' e.g., 1 = 00:01 AM ...

Re: MS Access VBA Programming - Queries on the Run
Hello All I have a small problem with a MS Access developed in VBA. The programme is developed as queries on the run using SQL. I have a number of private forms which are bought together in a global form. Every thing is OK if I generate a report with the complete database, but if I select parts of the to selectively sorted database it is calling for parameters, using the filter. The code line on the global form with the following command appears as follows: Set rst = db.OpenRecordset(marSQL, dbOpenDynaset) The set rst command shows rst = nothing and the dbOpenDynaset command = 2...

Date and Time quandry
I have a report that I created and want to put a date and time on it. I tried the simple Insert Date and Time and I tried using an unbound box with =Date() in it. The report is bases on a parameter query so when the user clicks on the button on the switchboard to bring up the query it asks for a piece of information and then provides the report. When I insert the date into the report, the user is asked for the usual piece of information and then asks for Date. If we just click past that the report comes up with everything correct except for the Date it shows #Name. Now here is the re...

Matrix Add-in for MS POS 2.0
Hello All: We have a women's clothing boutique and we have to enter item #'s. However, it does not seem that MS POS has a Matrix Item type. Is there an add-in I can purchase or work around for this? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0423_01C7CA45.7B650280 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Luis, None yet. Maybe next year sometime, but don't hold you breath. =20 Move up to the RMS product and there are quite a few including MS' = built-in attempt. --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point So...

Chipcard-project with MFC
Hi NG, I'd like to build a software (with my VC++ 6.0) which can interact with chipcards. Where can I learn more about that? Do anyone know of projects which share their knowledge? Is there a newsgroup dealing with chipcards? Thank you Thomas You can use WriteFile and ReadFile functions to interact with ports. Ashish "Thomas Kregeloh" <thok@compuserve.com> wrote in message news:cpui5m$ndb$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com... > Hi NG, > I'd like to build a software (with my VC++ 6.0) which can interact with > chipcards. Where can I learn more about that? Do anyone ...

My calendar isn't updating old meeting times.
When I accept a "Updated meeting request (recurring or single event) it places a schedule in my calendat for the new date & time but it doesn't delete the old date & time. Where do I find those settings to change them? ...

Convertin Decimals to clock time
I need to convert 1 hour &.233333 of an hour into clock time. I.e. 1 hour 14 minutes. Does any one have the formula or know what function does this. Loretta One way: = 1.23333/24 Format as h:mm In article <Om9Ecwz9DHA.2532@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Loretta" <loretta@anderson-computer.com> wrote: > I need to convert 1 hour &.233333 of an hour into clock time. I.e. 1 hour 14 > minutes. Does any one have the formula or know what function does this. > Loretta > > Hi Loretta how is the value stored (e.g. 1.23333 or with text in between as sho...

automation in ms access 2003; automatically makes weekly recurrenc
When using automation in ms access 2003 to be able to send appointments to Outlook, each time I add an appointment, it automatically sets a weekly recurrence schedule in Outlook. What can change in the following script to keep it from recurring, so that it will only appear as a single, one-time appointment? Private Sub cmdAddAppt_Click() On Error GoTo Add_Err 'Save record first to be sure required fields are filled. DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord 'Exit the procedure if appointment has been added to Outlook. If Me!AddedToOutlook = True Then MsgBox &qu...