MS Project 2007 question

Hello,

I am developing a simple schedule with no resources but 2 tasks out of 100
are hazardous and I would like to make the schedule so that when these tasks
occur, no other tasks can occur.  In other words, even though all tasks are
moving around as the schedule is being developed, I would like to make sure
no other tasks can be scheduled wherever these 2 hazardous tasks fall.  These
2 tasks are serial to every other task in the schedule.  Is there a way to do
this?

Thanks for your help.
Mike
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Create two milestones.  Use milestone 1 as the successor task to all tasks
that must be complete prior to starting the hazardous tasks.  Make Milestone
1 the predecessor to "Hazardous1".  Link Harardous1 & 2 as you normally
would.  Milestone2 is the successor to Hazardous2.  Anyything that can occurr
after completion of Hazardous2 uses Milestone2 as a predecessor.

If you insert the columns Predecessor and Successor it should be easier to
see.

There was a similar post the other day where a different alternative was
offered.  You can create and apply a special calendar that makes the days
when hazardous work is being performed as "non-working time". Apply that
calendar to all tasks except the two hazardous ones.  However, if the
hazardous tasks must move (for example an abestos abatement contractor has to
start late) then you would need to modify the work times of the special
calendar.  I prefer the first solution with the milestones.
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"mikejw" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am developing a simple schedule with no resources but 2 tasks out of 100
> are hazardous and I would like to make the schedule so that when these tasks
> occur, no other tasks can occur.  In other words, even though all tasks are
> moving around as the schedule is being developed, I would like to make sure
> no other tasks can be scheduled wherever these 2 hazardous tasks fall.  These
> 2 tasks are serial to every other task in the schedule.  Is there a way to do
> this?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Mike
Thanks Jim.

On the milestone approach, I'm a little confused as there is a week or so
gap between the two hazardous tasks where other tasks are being performed, so
the two hazardous tasks don't directly feed each other, Haz 1 feeds tasks
that eventually feed into Haz 2.  Do I need to add 4 milestones for this to
work?

MikeW

On May 10, 6:31=A0am, mikejw <mik...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jim.
>
> On the milestone approach, I'm a little confused as there is a week or so
> gap between the two hazardous tasks where other tasks are being performed=
, so
> the two hazardous tasks don't directly feed each other, Haz 1 feeds tasks
> that eventually feed into Haz 2. =A0Do I need to add 4 milestones for thi=
s to
> work?
>
> MikeW
>
> "Jim Aksel" wrote:
> > Create two milestones. =A0Use milestone 1 as the successor task to all =
tasks
> > that must be complete prior to starting the hazardous tasks. =A0Make Mi=
lestone
> > 1 the predecessor to "Hazardous1". =A0Link Harardous1 & 2 as you normal=
ly
> > would. =A0Milestone2 is the successor to Hazardous2. =A0Anyything that =
can occurr
> > after completion of Hazardous2 uses Milestone2 as a predecessor.
>
> > If you insert the columns Predecessor and Successor it should be easier=
> > see.
>
> > There was a similar post the other day where a different alternative wa=
> > offered. =A0You can create and apply a special calendar that makes the =
days
> > when hazardous work is being performed as "non-working time". Apply tha=
> > calendar to all tasks except the two hazardous ones. =A0However, if the
> > hazardous tasks must move (for example an abestos abatement contractor =
has to
> > start late) then you would need to modify the work times of the special
> > calendar. =A0I prefer the first solution with the milestones.
> > --
> > If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.
>
> > Jim Aksel, MVP
>
> > Check out my blog for more information:
> >http://www.msprojectblog.com
>
> > "mikejw" wrote:
>
> > > Hello,
>
> > > I am developing a simple schedule with no resources but 2 tasks out o=
f 100
> > > are hazardous and I would like to make the schedule so that when thes=
e tasks
> > > occur, no other tasks can occur. =A0In other words, even though all t=
asks are
> > > moving around as the schedule is being developed, I would like to mak=
e sure
> > > no other tasks can be scheduled wherever these 2 hazardous tasks fall=
.. =A0These
> > > 2 tasks are serial to every other task in the schedule. =A0Is there a=
 way to do
> > > this?
>
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > > Mike

Mike,

Precluding the execution of a collection of tasks during the execution
of any specific task is trivial for any scheduling software that does
scheduling with automatic resource leveling. This can be done by
creating a dummy resource with sufficient capacity and assigning it to
the specific task and also to each task in the collection. The task
will grab the full capacity of the resource during its execution
preventing the execution of all the tasks in the collection. This way,
you could let the specific task be scheduled without any unnecessary
constraint.

Prasad
www.optisol.biz

0
Prasad
5/10/2010 12:18:17 PM
Sure, extend the logic to create breaks in the work.  In this case, add two
more milestones.
--

"mikejw" wrote:

> Thanks Jim.
>
> On the milestone approach, I'm a little confused as there is a week or so
> gap between the two hazardous tasks where other tasks are being performed, so
> the two hazardous tasks don't directly feed each other, Haz 1 feeds tasks
> that eventually feed into Haz 2.  Do I need to add 4 milestones for this to
> work?
>
> MikeW
>
> "Jim Aksel" wrote:
>
> > Create two milestones.  Use milestone 1 as the successor task to all tasks
> > that must be complete prior to starting the hazardous tasks.  Make Milestone
> > 1 the predecessor to "Hazardous1".  Link Harardous1 & 2 as you normally
> > would.  Milestone2 is the successor to Hazardous2.  Anyything that can occurr
> > after completion of Hazardous2 uses Milestone2 as a predecessor.
> >
> > If you insert the columns Predecessor and Successor it should be easier to
> > see.
> >
> > There was a similar post the other day where a different alternative was
> > offered.  You can create and apply a special calendar that makes the days
> > when hazardous work is being performed as "non-working time". Apply that
> > calendar to all tasks except the two hazardous ones.  However, if the
> > hazardous tasks must move (for example an abestos abatement contractor has to
> > start late) then you would need to modify the work times of the special
> > calendar.  I prefer the first solution with the milestones.
> > --
> > If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.
> >
> > Jim Aksel, MVP
> >
> > Check out my blog for more information:
> > http://www.msprojectblog.com
> >

> > "mikejw" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am developing a simple schedule with no resources but 2 tasks out of 100
> > > are hazardous and I would like to make the schedule so that when these tasks
> > > occur, no other tasks can occur.  In other words, even though all tasks are
> > > moving around as the schedule is being developed, I would like to make sure
> > > no other tasks can be scheduled wherever these 2 hazardous tasks fall.  These
> > > 2 tasks are serial to every other task in the schedule.  Is there a way to do
> > > this?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > > Mike

How to get TASK_ID field for summary tasks without using Project.a
I know for tasks which are not summary tasks we can get TASK_ID field using statusing web service. But i could nto find any other options than Project web service to get TASK_ID field for summary tasks and the top level project task. Problem of using Project web service is that in my custom sharedpoint web part where we are using PSI web services we get all the data required using Resource and Statusing web service for the logged in resource. But Statusing web service retrieves TASK_ID only for actual tasks and not for summary tasks. Now just to get TASK_ID of summary tas...

Another multiple criteria/column question
Ok, first post and pretty much a new user to Excel. I have two sheets that I am working with, trying to recall data from one to the other that meets criteria. In a nutshell: Sheet 1 contains a column of unique values (col A), cols C,D, and E are where I want to insert the formula to find data on Sheet 2. Sheet 2 contains 4 columns, A contains multiple occurrences of each value (from Sheet1, column A), each with its own timestamp in column D. On Sheet1, in column C, I want to find a value on Sheet2 in column A and return the timestamp in column D. I know I can use VLOOKUP for this. =VLO...

Array Function Question
I have little knowledge of Array Function. I'm updating a spreadsheet developed by someone else. One array formula trying to lookup data in another spreadsheet looks like below: {=SUM(IF([Data]Data!$A$3:$A$70>=DATEVALUE("01/01/2006"),IF(Data]Data!$A$3:$A$70<=DATEVALUE("03/01/2006"),IF(Data]Data!B$1:$AR$1=A5,Data]Data!$B$3:$AR$38))))} I was told to press Ctrl/Shift/Enter to refrsh the data and it worked last time(3 months ago). But this time the cell won't refresh but shows the formula text. The formula should be fine. Did I miss anything to refresh...

2007
Project desktop expert, new to Project Server 2007 and working with a sandbox implementation currently. When I use the PWA Build Team...Replace to replace a generic resource on a project with an actual named resource after first publishing a plan, my updates don't appear to be reflected in Project Server. If I check out and open the Project Plan in MSP Pro, however, the updates were made, and then if I publish the schedule, the updates appear in server. I thought when you made resource updates using PWA that they should be reflected immediately (or as soon as the request...

With a Query in Access 2007, How can I Create This Query
I need a query that will list all records in table 1 for which there are no auditor records (Table 3). Somehow, I need to use the relationship between tables 2 and 3 to find what's not in table 1. The following query gives me a list of all records that do have auditor records. I'm at a dead end on this one. Query SELECT PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTAuditingTherapist, PTOTAuditingTherapist.PTOTFirstName, PTOTAuditingTherapist.PTOTLastName, AuditDetailInitialEval.TherapistLastName, PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTFirstName, PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTLastName, AuditDetailInitialEval.Medicare, AuditDet...

Question about SetCurSel()
Hi, I have a combo box control specified with the drop down (not drop list) style. The list box portion of the control is populated with data from a recordset to allow the user to select from a list of pre-loaded items. Or they may choose to type in a new entry. As the user enters data into the edit box portion of the control, the program checks after each keystroke to see if the entry data matches anything currently in the list. If it does, the drop down list appears and the list item closely or exactly matching the data that has been entered is selected and appears in the edit ...

Question on multiple NICs used by Exchange 2003
I have a requirement to bind four virtual SMTP servers to unique IP addresses. The server has four NICs and each IP address is uniquely bound to a virtual SMTP server. I used telnet to confirm that the appropriate virtual SMTP server responds to each assigned IP address. In case you are wondering why I did not use virtual IP addresses- Per Microsoft, the virtual IP address schema will not satisfy our requirement that the same IP address be used for sending (relaying) the e-mail that received it. Their recommendation was to have a NIC for each virtual SMTP server. The problem that I am ex...

Access 2007 combobox will not "Auto expand"
I have a database converted from access 2003 to 2007. Now ALL comboxes will not allow the "autoexpand" functionality. Obviously I set this property to yes (both in the properties window AND programmatically). Most, but not all, of the comboboxes are populated by queries on ODBC coupled MSSQL tables. Again, in 2003, this worked fine. Anybody an idea ? Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Jos --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- ...

Open 2003 files with 2007
Hello all, I just upgraded my Office 2003 with Office 2007 on an EP Pro machine. The only snaffoo I find(so far..) is with Excel 2007. When I double-click on an Excel 2003 file, Excel 2007 starts up just fine, BUT my file is not displayed. At that point if I click the Restore button up at top-right, the file appears when Excel is restored up or down, then all is well. Anyone have any idea whats up with that and how to fix it??? Thanks John Lots of people have complained that when they doubleclick on a file in windows explorer, that the workbook doesn't seem to show up in xl20...

time formula question
This formula works great if the ending time is before 0:00. =IF(D21>0,B21/INDIRECT("Sheet1!E"&MAX((A21>=$C$9:$C$11)*(A21<=$E$9:$E$11)* {2;3;4})),"") $C$9:$C$11 is my starting time i.e. 20:00 $E$9:$E$11 is my ending time i.e. 04:30 How can I get this to work if A21 = 20:15? TIA, David Try this: =IF(D21>0,B21/INDIRECT("Sheet1!E"&MAX((($C$9:$C$11<$E$9:$E$11)*(A21>=$C$9:$C$11)*(A21<=$E$9:$E$11)+(($C$9:$C$11>=$E$9:$E$11)*((A21>=$C$9:$C$11)+(A21<=$E$9:$E$11)))*{2;3;4})),"") HTH -- AP "David" <dfizer@r...

Backup MX questions
After nearly a week of downtime for my Exchange2k server a few weeks ago, I have realized the need for a backup MX server, basically someone who can catch my mail when my smtp server is unavailable and then allow me to seemlessly pick it up or deliver it to me when I am back up again. What is the best way to accomplish this? Mike <>< On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:41:17 -0500, "Mike Strout" <m i k e s t r o u t @ h o t m a i l . c o m> wrote: >After nearly a week of downtime for my Exchange2k server a few weeks ago, I >have realized the need for a backup MX ser...

2007 Beta
Aside from a couple of niggles I quite like this. Will Beta users get any updates/fixes before final version of 2007 is released? It's impossible to say. That's up to Microsoft.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "Jeff" <jeffxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message = news:A0Ehg.18242$A8.10806@clgrps12... > Aside from ...

Checking mails with MS Outlook closed?!
Hi, is it possible to have MS Outlook notify me of new accounts in a minimized status. i.e. i have a low memory and i don't want extra programs to be opened on my computer. i want to have outlook closed still i want it to to checkup my imcoming mails and provided i should have new mails it would popup and notify me accordingly. is that possible in outlook? if not, is there any program that could do that? regards, eqbal Outlook can't do anything if it's not opened. Is the mailbox you're checking a POP3 mailbox? If so, there are a number of very small programs that c...

Outlook 2007 Outlook.exe deleting itself
I seem to be having a very strange problem. When I start Outlook 2007, it stalls and then deletes the Outlook.exe file. This is a relatively new problem (within the last week). All other files seem to be present. If I keep a full copy of Outlook.ext in another folder, that is also deleted. In some cases, after restoring the file, Outlook will start to come up but then stall and die. In other cases, it won't won't even start to come up but just deletes itself. I've run several different types of anti-virus software including AVG, Avira, Spybot and none seem to find an issue or he...

Calendar Appearance Question Please
Outlook 2003 In the Monthly view each month's color/shading is a very slight variation from the preceding & following months. The variation is so slight it is very hard to notice. Can you change the shading to something that will stand out more? Thanks in advance... Bob ...

E-mail Template Question 07-14-03
Is it possible to have an e-mail template in CRM that has a Microsoft Word document attached to the template? -- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $ $ Nick Maxwell, MCSE 2k, CCNA , A+ $ Systems Engineer $ Heartland Business Systems $ http://www.hbs.net $ nmaxwell@nospam.hbs.net $ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ...

shareing resources within a project
I build 80+ homes a year, and need to manage it as one project-i think??? the thing is, i have for example 3 Plumbing contractors to do the rough-in for 15 homes, i can only give them 5 homes each and set Priorities for the homes. so oboviously home #2 can start until #1 is completed. and the same goes for plumbing finishes which have to be linked wt the plumber who did the rough-in. All of plumber's #1 tasks need to be linked not only for each unit but across all houses that plumber starts for me. for example plumber #1 may not be able to do the rough-in on 3 Apple St. becau...

Licensing Project Server 2007
I'm confused about what server licences are required for Project Server 2007. User/CAL licensing I understand, but the server licensing I'm not sure about. If I install PS2007 onto a 2 server configuration (WFE/App and DB), I need one PS2007 server licence. That's OK. If I add a separate WFE server, do I need to add another PS2007 server licence? The Project Server application will not change where it runs. I think I might need an additional licence. If I then choose to add an additional WFE/App server to the farm that is intended to provide resources for a separ...

Publisher 2007 printing problem
I have a publisher file 6x4 template. When I try to print on a 4x6 photo paper instead of 1 page landscape it prints 2 in portrait. No mater what I do seems to change this. First, File Print setup Size: 4x6 Portrait OK Then, File Page Setup Special Size Width: 6" Height: 4" Landscape OK Build your project Save File Print -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "tomincolorado" <tomincolorado@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7CC2310B-E932-459A-94A2-45E96D530FC7@microsoft.com... >I have a publisher file 6x4 ...

Uninstall MS Office 2010 Beta on Windows 7
I downloaded and installed the beta version of MS Office 2010 on my system running Windows 7, 64 bit. It ran great. The newer features are much better than what is currently available. One day I fired up the Word module and was hit with the error message "program is corrupt, uninstall or re-install to correct the problem". My problem is I can't do either. I keep getting the corrupt message and the same corrective measures to take. Anyone have a fix or suggestion - Thanks ...

using outlook 2007 categories through gmail
hi everyone, I would like to find a way to keep outlook 2007 categories through gmail. Gmail use label which are show as folders in outlook. So it's "simple": when I put a category to an email, a script could copy this email to the right mapi folder in Gmail. in others PCs a script could put automatically a category to every email which are into this folder: ex: I put "urgent" category to an email ->copy this email to "urgent" gmail folder and then: in others PCs every email in "urgent" gmail folder could set to "urgent" category. ...

System Manager question
In Exchange 2003 (and previous version), what is the reason for seeing the multiple instances of user logons? Is this correct? John That is normal. They are authenticated access to other users' shared folders, public folders, etc. If you want to see more detail there, there are some really cool columns to add. Right-click on Logons, select View-->Choose Columns http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/09/additional_outl.html William "John Olinger" <jcolinger@deltyme.com> wrote in message news:O76qgObTEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > In Exchange 2003 (an...

Lotus Notes and MS CRM
My customer uses Lotes Notes but he is very interested in buying Microsoft CRM. However, Lotes Notes remains their email and agenda application. Do you know a way to use MS CRM in combinating with Lotes Notes (alike the SFO client). I read about Microsoft Office Outlook Connector but it want to use Outlook as client for Lotes Domino but my customer want to Lotes Notes remains their email and agenda application. Needs tips or documentation for help. Best Regards, Awan There's a Lotus Notes connector available for MS Exchange. I'm in the same situation at one opportunity. ...

Autotext 2007
Word 2007, when creating autotext entry but default it wants to store it in the Building Block.dotx Is there a registry hack or a policy or some setting some where that we can force the default save location to got to the Normal.dotm and not the Building Block.dotx Thanks Nadine ...

Exchange 2003 Questions #2
Hi, I already have in place my forest root w2k3 domain and will be planning to use Exchange 2003. Our company AD structures will contain chicd domains and another other forest domains. With trust established between forest to forest; a. can my child domain users be able to utilize Exchange easily? b. How about between forests will users be able to utilize Exchnage of the other forest domain? Appreciate any replies. Thanks TagaR a) Yes. Definetely. Any user in your forest can have a mailbox b) Yes, though you'll need to provision disabled accounts in your forest for every mailbox e...