MS Project 2007 queries - Should i buy ?

To the people who were kind enough to post a reply and that i have confused
with my earlier posting i apologise, yes you are quite correct I am
considering purchasing MS Project 2007 for my my Planner, we are a small
office who are familiar with the basics (on MSP 2000) but have a few queries
which are a little more detailed, I hope someone may able to advise on:-

1. Reporting - What are the options for importing and exporting documents
and the number of format types, are they clear and easy to learn and use ?

2. Graphs - Is graphical data readily available, are there differing options
of graphs and are the tools for producing them clear and easy to use ?

3. Sand pits - Are there areas where 'offline' working is available to make
possible changes before altering the master plan if used on line and accessed
by other team members via the web.

4. Administration - Can the system be set up with a tier/security system so
that certain areas can only be accessed by designated users, and the
administration of the plan be controlled.

All comments are welcome, both positive and negative, we would like to get a
balanced end users view before we purchase, thank you for your time.

project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Comments in line.  I might suggest you also investigate in our sister
newsgroup for Project Server.
--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

"kemp179" wrote:

> To the people who were kind enough to post a reply and that i have confused
> with my earlier posting i apologise, yes you are quite correct I am
> considering purchasing MS Project 2007 for my my Planner, we are a small
> office who are familiar with the basics (on MSP 2000) but have a few queries
> which are a little more detailed, I hope someone may able to advise on:-
>
> 1. Reporting - What are the options for importing and exporting documents
> and the number of format types, are they clear and easy to learn and use ?

Imports from XM, Excel, Access.  Outputs are to XML, Excel and are more
robust than in Project 2000.  Download a trial version of Project 2007 and
experiment.

> 2. Graphs - Is graphical data readily available, are there differing options
> of graphs and are the tools for producing them clear and easy to use ?

Once the data is output to Excel, all the Excel features become available.

> 3. Sand pits - Are there areas where 'offline' working is available to make
> possible changes before altering the master plan if used on line and accessed
> by other team members via the web.

Bascially yes, but it is expensive.  There are two versions of MS Project:
Server and Desktop.  the desktop versions are called either Project Standard
or Project Professional.  They are essentially the same, but you can use
Project Professional to access files stored on the Project Server.  Project
Server has robust checkout/in capability, time sheet tracking, etc.  It may
be way more than you need.

It is possible to maintain "work files" using Project Standard or
Professional.  However this is a manual configuration management process and
needs to be set up carefully.  I would suggest you hire some type of
professional to write some procedures for you so you stay safe.  So, yes, it
can be done.

> 4. Administration - Can the system be set up with a tier/security system so
> that certain areas can only be accessed by designated users, and the
> administration of the plan be controlled.

Only in Project Server and even then it may not be what you thinnk.  For the
desktop versions of Project, it is an "all or nothing" access to the file..

> All comments are welcome, both positive and negative, we would like to get a
> balanced end users view before we purchase, thank you for your time.

Update MSN Services with Money 2007
How can I update the Portfoglio and Accounts on MSN with MS Money 2007 Deluxe version ??? Thank you. Bye. Paolo B. Italy In microsoft.public.money, Paolo B. wrote: >How can I update the Portfoglio and Accounts on MSN with MS Money 2007 >Deluxe version ??? Transactions that you enter yourself into Microsoft Money 2007 would not be forwarded out to MSN Money. This keeps that info on your own computer. For institutions with their own OFX servers, you would have to set up those accounts to download into MSN Money also. Accounts where the data comes in via "third party" ...

RPC over HTTP/S on Exchange 2003
I have been configuring my single server with exchange to use RPC over https I have followed the instructions in MS guide and another simplified guide at http://www.petri.co.il/configure_rpc_over_https_on_a_single_server.htm Server spec is: Server 2003 standard SP1, Exchange 2003 SP1, XP client SP2 with outlook 2003 sp2 The bottom line is that when testing from the WAN, the outlook client will not connect and say that the exchange server is unavailable. I have a lot of experience configuring rpc over http/s with sbs2003 but this is the first time for server 2003 standard. I have outlook ...

Summing in A Query
Hello, I have a database which fuel records are stored in. The data is stored in two tables. The first records the daily logs that operators use each time they fuel up. It stores their name, the key they used (keylock fuel system - it's ancient) the unit number of the equipment using the fuel, and the amount of fuel they took. The second table stores the month end information retrieved from the key lock print out. It keeps a running total of the amount of fuel taken with each key, and the operator using that key. We have problems making sure all of the fuel is accounted for each mon...

Word 2007: word count wrong?
Hello, I have an issue with some .doc files when opening in Word 2007. In some cases the word count in the status bar is different of the word count of the "Word Count"- window (CTRL+SHIFT+G) or the word count in Word 2003 Example file: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=79595 Word 2007 (status bar) show 61019 words Word 2007 (Word count window) show 61010 words Word 2003 also show 61010 words This issue I have not with all documents, but only with some files and it seems that I have this problem only with .doc files but not with .docx files. (installed ve...

comdlg32.ocx and Access 2007
I have several Access databases that were originally written using an Access version prior to Access 2007. I am in the process of converting the databases and installing them on new machines running Win7 and Access 2007. Over the years, one of the References I commonly used was comdlg32.ocx. It does not appear that either Win7 or Access 2007 installs that particular Active X file. I can copy it from an older machine, but that seems like a strange solution. Is comdlg32.ocx a "legacy" Active X file and has it been replaced with a newer (and differently named) Activ...

Query fields
Is it possible to write a criteria where the value of an empty field is "0.00"? Background: I have three queries with different customer account groups. Not every salesperson has customer accounts in every accountgroup - so, he will not shown up in that query. But he has accounts included in another query. Now, I would like to get a sum of commission earned by each salesman calculated from all three queries together. Since the salesman has no record in one query the total sum of that specific salesman is not shown. Any idea how to solve that problem? Thanks Klaus On Wed, 29 A...

Query to hide duplicate records
I recall that this used to easy in previous versions (Unique values only ??), but in 2007, I can't get this to work at all. I have a table with our companie's job numbers in it. The job numbers show up multiple times because of different phases of the project: ProjNum ProjDescription 3077 Univ. of Vermont/UC/LEED 3077 Univ. of Vermont/University Commons: Building Fee 3077 Univ. of Vermont/University Commons: Excess Professiona... I need to jut have a single listing of each project number, otherwise, I get repeated records in the query that looks at this information (which ...

Backup Money 2007 to DVD
I can backup Money 2007 H&B via CD using C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\MY Money Backup but I want to backup with DVD. How do I do this?????? When exited from Money, use your favorite burning software and burn a DVD from the file? "Chris109" <Chris109@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64AEF5D0-105A-4392-BA6D-369A7F31FEF8@microsoft.com... >I can backup Money 2007 H&B via CD using C:\Documents and > Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\MY > Money > Backup...

Simple Access counting queries

XL 2007: How to find out what keyboard shortcuts I've assigned to macros?
Over the years, I've recorded and written a lot of macros. (Probably time to take a week or two and go over them and delete at least half!) I assigned a keyboard shortcut to a lot of them. I seem to remember that before XL 2007, there was a keyboard organizer that I could go through and review what shortcuts I had already assigned to my macros. I can't find that in 2007, though. Is there an easy way to generate a list of all my keyboard assignments and what macros they go to? Ed I don't recall ever seeing any such keyboard organizer in 2007. Canned from a prev...

Finding all queries which use a table

Outlook 2007 - Exchange 2003
I just upgraded my desktop to Office 2007 - Removing the older Office2000. Our Network is all 2003 Servers & Exchange. My Destop is XP SP3 In OL2007 I cannot see/find any of the exisitng public shared calendars that I could see/access in OL2000. I can see them when I'm in Webmail and desktops still running Office 2000 can see the public calendars. Any help is appreciated. Thanks John Which navigation pane are you in? Press Ctrl+6 to see the folder list. BTW, Did you keep the old Outlook 2000 profile? We recommend new profiles when upgrading from older versions. ...

Smart Tag for Outlook 2007
Hi, I need to create a Smart Tag for Outlook 2007. How can I do that? There's any tutorial or reference? Thank in advance! ...

Viewing shared 2003 outlook calendar in 2007 Outlook
Shared calendars with colleagues who have 2003. I can see the calendar but not the info in the calendar. Nothing is provate marked from their side and is able to be seen by other 2003 users. is there a quick fix? ...

Word 2007 Error message
Hello, I'm currently using Works Suite 2006. I am attempting to intall the Word 2007 upgrade to no avail as I receiving the following error message: SET-UP ERROR D:\wordR.ww\osetup.DLL digital signature does not validate or is not present I would appreciate any advice and/or suggestions so that I can install Word 2007. Ciao, Jerry Sorry Jerry but this is Microsoft Access forum. You need to post this question to a different group to find any useful help. "Jerry T" <Jerry T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B45E64C3-D080-405E-9159-CB3E7F73AFFC@micr...

Outlook 2007 error event id: 35
Per hour i receive about 12'000 of these errors in the event viewer on my vista laptop. And usualy my outlook at some point just goes into the "not responding" mode. Then I have to kill the process from the task manager to be able to reopen outlook just to see it freeze again after a couple of seconds. I tried the whole stop indexing service and reinstall index service procedure to no avail. Does anyone else have a solution to this very anoying problem? Fred putzhilfe@gmail.com <putzhilfe@gmail.com> wrote: > Per hour i receive about 12'000 of these errors in the...

Publisher 2007 #31
If I use Autoflow in text boxes, I cannot get the test to wrap round pictures, they just sit on top! What am I doing Wrong? In Publisher 2000 it would be, Click on the text box; select Format, check "Wrap text around objects" Option. OK -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "richwoo" <richwoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F176A1BE-6E72-48FB-98F9-573C15E677CC@microsoft.com... > If I use Autoflow in text boxes, I cannot get the test to wrap round > pictures, they just sit on top! > What am I doing Wrong? > ...

Office 2007 on Windows 7
I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. I also purchased Office 2007 but I notice that Windows 7 is not shown on the Office package. Can I install Office 2007 without any propblems? Answered your first posting. apensa wrote: > I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. I also purchased Office 2007 > but I notice that Windows 7 is not shown on the Office package. Can I > install Office 2007 without any propblems? ...

Hide Global.xls (personal.xls) in project explorer
How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want my normal project there. Helge You can't hide it, but you could give it a password: Select your project Tools|VBAProject|Protection tab Give it a memorable password At least the project won't be too intrusive. nankerp wrote: > > How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want > my normal project there. > > Helge -- Dave Peterson ...

Problem with vba code to export query result in excel
Hi, I have a access report that exports to excel with click of a button after choosing parameters. This works well. However I have to modify couple of fields to utilize formula in the export module. I am not sure how to do this. I am writing the above code which seems to cause problem. I appreciate any help to resolve this issue. Thanks. Code: If lngColumn = 12 Then xlc.Offset(0, lngColumn).Value = =([UnitPrice]*[OriginalShippedQty])/1000 End If It seems the fields UnitPrice and OrigianalShippedQty are not being recognized here Jack wrote: >Hi, >I have a acces...