Merging Two Files

Hi, I am getting ready to marry up two schedules (around 6000 task lines) and
am trying to find a potentially quicker solution than what I have planned
(just in case plan A doesn't go so well for me).

Two months ago I took a copy of my master file and began to add much needed
work into it, however it was not yet authorized work, so I had to continue
providing status into the main master file up to this point in time.

Now that the work will be authorized in May, I need to take the current
master file, and make sure all of the "what-if" modifications from the
secondary file get into it. I am planning to have a partner help me with
this, as my second set of eyes. Would you guess that the easiest way to do
this would be to literally go line by line to make sure we get all of the
"revised" logic in? The UIDs are not a one-for-one deal (in other words, many
task name changes, cost changes, logic changes, etc) have switched around in
my "what-if". Are there any suggestions for an easier way to compare the two
files?

I am well aware of the file-compare tool, and my company has created a more
sophisticated bolt-on version of it, but other than that, any other
suggestions to make sure we don't waste too much precious time?

We have about eight days to conquer this beast. Thanks so much!

project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If the Unique IDs have remained the same, then VBA code could quickly update
task names, and resource assignments etc. If Unique IDs have changed you
could try inserting a custom Number and entering the Unique ID of the same
task in the other file and again have a VBA macro to read task data using
the ID in the number field. This would be easy and straight forward for
anyone with basic VBA skills (or talk to me!).

Essentially for any kind of successful merger there has to be a common field
for Project or a VBA macro to use. If you don't have a reliable merge field
it's probably back to the old mark 1 manual methods and I don't envy you
that for 6,000 tasks!

--

Rod Gill
Microsoft MVP for Project - http://www.project-systems.co.nz

Author of the only book on Project VBA, see: http://www.projectvbabook.com

"Michozzy" <Michozzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am getting ready to marry up two schedules (around 6000 task lines)
> and
> am trying to find a potentially quicker solution than what I have planned
> (just in case plan A doesn't go so well for me).
>
> Two months ago I took a copy of my master file and began to add much
> needed
> work into it, however it was not yet authorized work, so I had to continue
> providing status into the main master file up to this point in time.
>
> Now that the work will be authorized in May, I need to take the current
> master file, and make sure all of the "what-if" modifications from the
> secondary file get into it. I am planning to have a partner help me with
> this, as my second set of eyes. Would you guess that the easiest way to do
> this would be to literally go line by line to make sure we get all of the
> "revised" logic in? The UIDs are not a one-for-one deal (in other words,
> many
> task name changes, cost changes, logic changes, etc) have switched around
> in
> my "what-if". Are there any suggestions for an easier way to compare the
> two
> files?
>
> I am well aware of the file-compare tool, and my company has created a
> more
> sophisticated bolt-on version of it, but other than that, any other
> suggestions to make sure we don't waste too much precious time?
>
> We have about eight days to conquer this beast. Thanks so much!

> signature database 5063 (20100426) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5063 (20100426) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Rod

Pulsar Women's Crystal Accented Dress Two-Tone Stainless Steel Watch #PEGA16
Price:$125.00 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B001L1RZ8C Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B001L1RZ8C This ladies' two tone, Pulsar fashion watch features a white dial CrystallizedTM with 22 Swarovski crystals. Watch is water resistant up to 30 meters. This stylish timepiece features a two-tone bracelet and case. The mother-of-pearl dial is accentuated by gold-tone hands and markers. 22 Swarovski® crystals sparkle on this classic watch. 30M water resistant. ACCESSORIES: Pulsar Women's Crystal Accented Dress Two-Tone Stainless Steel W...

How to get XML data out of an XML file

Multiple PST Files #2

Money 2006 file repair application error

Application hanging on file load...
Okay, I'm having the strangest problem, and I'm hoping somebody here will be able to give me an idea of how to attack it... I have an MFC application that does some networked communication, multi-threading, fun stuff... I also load and save xml configuration files. Now, on most of the computers I've run my software on, I have absolutely no problems. On SOME boxes, however, whenever I use my menu to try to load or save a file... before the File Dialog box even comes up... the application hangs. All the boxes I've tried this on have been Windows 2000 boxes with Service Pack 4....

can't open files

Comparing first and last names in two lists

How do I break URL address over two lines?
I am trying to enter website addresses into footnotes and Word automatically forces the footnote onto a separate line. I need to conform to certain aditing requirements and want the url to start right after the citation and continue on to however many lines are necessary, but not leave a gap because it starts the url on a separate line in the footnote. Help please. In the edit hyperlink dialog, put the URI in both the Address and Text-to- display boxes. That way you can use a space or linebreak to wrap the display text to the next line without affecting the hyperlink ability. Hyp...

I can no longer convert my files to pdf

Outlook Data Files #4

Backup Excel file

How do I combine two worksheets into one graph
I have two worksheets on an Excel spreadsheet. I would like to take both worksheets and place in one graph. Any suggestions? Make a chart with data from one sheet. Then copy the data on the other sheet, select the chart, and use Paste Special from the Edit menu to add the copied data as New Series. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ McPowerUser wrote: > I have two worksheets on an Excel spreadsheet. I would like to take both > worksheets and place in one graph. Any suggestions? ...

Utility (pref. script) to catalog .EDB files
Hi, I have a client that is using an Enterprise backup tool which, whilst able to back-up and restore, does not provide in-depth information like traditional Exchange-aware backup products. I have been asked to write a script to list the users in a flat .EDB file (which has been snapped and copied and flushed using SAN replication tools). I have taken a look at the ESE API, which can only be accessed using C + (I only use VB). Other than EXMERGE, does anyone know of any tools that allow you to list the basic mailbox details on a EDB file? Thanks, Hutton. ...

List folders to file

Hyperlink File Help

IMPORTING MONEY FILES DUP ENTRIES
I have been unable to run money98 files in money2003.Tried importing files but all tranfers between accounts are duplicated. Don't understand how to import all the accounts at once. I created new accounts in 2003 and imported one by one, but any transactions between accounts is duplicated. Follow the prompts on the import file dialog that tell you to select multiple files to import at the same time. There are other guidelines if investment accounts are involved. You might want to review postings on this subject in the group archives at http://groups.google.com. "JAYNE" &l...

Lost .pst files
I am using Office XP with Outlook 2002 (SP2). I recently had a boot track failure on my old computer which had 2 hard drives, using the second drive as back-up storage. I bought a new computer and installed the old main drive (the one with the failed boot track) in my new computer as a second drive and copied all the data onto the new main drive. All data and software works except Outlook. I cannot find any .pst files on my old drive. Where could they be. BTW I use Matadore as a spam blocker. In article <014e01c3462e$561cbdf0$a101280a@phx.gbl>, daddyray01 @sport.rr.com say...

Read file info using SMO locks database!
Hi! I'm using SMO from C# to restore a database from a backup file. Since I want to re-use the same datafiles I try to read the datafiles in my destination database and call RelocateFile to use these filenames during the restore. Everyting works fine except when I try to read the current datafilenames (see code below). If I skip this code and just hardcode the paths in relocatefile everything works fine. Database db = svr.Databases[destinationDBName]; foreach (FileGroup group in db.FileGroups) foreach (DataFile file in group.Files) Console.WriteLine...

Merging Projects ?
Hi, again, I created two dialog projects in a single workspace. My intent was to merge them into a single project (the main dialog from one being called from the other). The idea being that, by having both projects merged into a single entity, the data transfer is possible between sections. Although I took care to have resource.h use an independent set of values, (even IDC_MAINFRAME vs IDC_MAINFRAME_II), I have been stymied by the two independent resource (.rc) files (only one is allowed). My current solution is to use ShellExecute(). Is there a way I can add one dialog to the othe...

merging data
Hi all:) I'm new to this forum and to to Excel (2000) and not sure that I'm asking this question correctly but here is what I'm trying to do. The data on my work sheet is pasted from another sorce and includes information: name, ref #, time, date. I use this information looking up the status of an order and enter a "status note" in 5th (last) column. As the day progresses, the source that the data comes from is copied and pasted under the current list I already have going and much of the data on the lower list is a duplicate. How can I merge the to list so that I hav...

Hyperlink To JPG File
I have added a hyperlink to a jpg (photo) file, and when i select the hyperlink, the jpg file opens in Corel Photo-Paint. Is there a way that I can force it to open with Windows Photo and Fax Viewer, Instead. Thanks GW Open Windows Explorer and find a *.jpg file. Select it and right-click and "Open With" Make Windows Photo and Fax Viewer the default "always open with". If you get an error, you may have to open Corel Photo-Paint and disassociate *.jpg files using probably some Options setting. If neither of these steps work for you, in Windows Explorer>Tools>...