Material resource costs 0 for 0 duration task

If I have a material resource allocated to a zero duration task, why are the costs of this resource for this task 0?  Why must I have a non-zero duration for material costs to work?  Nowhere does it say that Material costs depend on duration (whereas Work resource costs do).  Thank you
0
LawrenceRose
3/19/2010 2:53:32 PM
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi,

Why, oh Why?
Fortunately, knowing Why MS did this is not very relevant is it?
There is no logical explanation IMHO.
Unfortunately the reverse is true also. Setting consumption ("Work") for a
material resource to 0 turns duration to 0.
Absolutely contrary to all help, material resources should by no means
influence plan or duration.
But can I help?

Greetings,

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
"LawrenceRose" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> If I have a material resource allocated to a zero duration task, why are
> the costs of this resource for this task 0?  Why must I have a non-zero
> duration for material costs to work?  Nowhere does it say that Material
> costs depend on duration (whereas Work resource costs do).  Thank you
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.project/

0
Jan
3/19/2010 3:05:20 PM
How could a zero duration task have a material cost associated with it?
Zero duration tasks, ie milestones, aren't really tasks at all, they're
merely sign-posts flagging the point in time where a particular event has
taken place.  Zero duration means that no physical activity happens.  If
nothing is happening, no materials are being consumed.  If no materials are
consumed, no costs are incurred.  Assign the material to the actual physical
activity that uses it and the costs will work out properly.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"LawrenceRose" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> If I have a material resource allocated to a zero duration task, why are
> the costs of this resource for this task 0?  Why must I have a non-zero
> duration for material costs to work?  Nowhere does it say that Material
> costs depend on duration (whereas Work resource costs do).  Thank you
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.project/

0
Steve

Can't get to resource description info
We recently moved to a Citrix environment and seemed to have lost acces to the Resource Description utility. I can launch it and see the choices for tables, fields, and windows, but when I pick one the trouble begins. If I pick tables, I get an error message saying: An open operation on table olfd_files failed because the path does not exist When I click ok, I get another dialogue message: Scrolling window link table not on form Next I get what looks like a VB error: Unhandled form exception: Form load failed EXCEPTION_CLASS_FORM_MEMORY SCRIPT_CMD_OPENFR If I try to get to field d...

how do i resolve the 'system resource exceeded' error?
I keep getting the "System Resource Exceeded" error message when running a very complex query. How do I get around this, or resolve it? Thanks, Marlene http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918814 The above link in for Access 2007 but some of the advice applies to all versions. Complex queries are often a sign of a badly normalized database. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "Marlene" wrote: > I keep getting the "System Resource Exceeded" error message when running a &g...

I just got a new system with Money 2003 preloaded and when attempting to open my backup file(on a floppy) from an earlier version of money all I get is a message that asks if I want to back up to floppy. If I click on "dont back up" all I get is the message "money is not properly installed. Please try set up again" Any idea what I might be doing wrong/not doing??? Help thanks Is it possible that you can reload Money from any disks supplied to you with the system? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-...

Calculate the total overlapping time of multiple tasks, excluding non-working times
I am developing a tracking calculator for an overall process. Within the overall process, there are 3 steps which are completed. These steps can be completed independently from one another, but can also (sometimes) overlap. I am trying to determine the total time for the overall process (from beginning to end), without counting the duplicated times where the steps are running parallel to one another, or times when some steps may be completed and are waiting for another to start. I have outlined the basic design of the worksheet below, with times in mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm format. S...

How do we close an invoice in version 3.0?
In version 1.2 we had an Action on the toolbar to close the invoice. Now we have nothing. I tried customizing the form and adding the statecode, but that field is Read-only and so it didn't help. We mass-print all of our invoices and need them to be closed (not deleted) once they are paid. HELP! Thanks, Karla So sorry!! I did not see Invoice Paid on the Actions menu once the invoice was open. Solved!!! "KK" wrote: > In version 1.2 we had an Action on the toolbar to close the invoice. > Now we have nothing. > > I tried customizing the form and adding...

4.0 Workflow
I am trying to setup a workflow to send an email when an Account record gets deleted. I want to include the name of the Company in the email and who deleted it. The workflow fires, but always has a Status of Waiting because it says "The requested record was not found or you do not have sufficient permissions to view it". The reason this happens, I am assuming, is that the record has already been deleted so data from the record cannot be included in the email. Is there a way I can accomplish what I want? Workflow plugins are asynchronous so by the time you get to the databas...

Changing default administrator account in CRM3.0
Hi, I want to know how to change the default administrator of the crm server Thanks in advance. -- Regards, Bishwarup Create a new user profile and assign that user the "System Administrator" role. Then log in to CRM as that user and revoke the "System Administrator" role from your current administrator. Dave "Bishwarup" <Bishwarup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0C818F1-EDA4-4B7B-A254-A286CE3F9E1B@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I want to know how to change the default administrator of the crm server > > Thanks in adv...

Summing multi-level bill of material
All, I have a multi-level bill of material and I want to create a function that will sum it properly without having to sum up each level manually. Here is an example: Level Item Quantity Cost 1 Chair 1 $39 2 Seat 1 $15 3 Cushion 1 $10 3 Base 1 $5 2 Leg 4 $1 2 Back 1 $20 3 Leather 1 $12 3 Wood 1 $8 In my example, I have a chair. The chair is composed of a seat ($15), four legs ($1 each), and a back...

How to get the resource from Resource Only Dll
hmod=LoadLibrary("testdll.dll"); hr=FindResource(hmod,MAKEINTRESOURCE(504),"GIF"); if(hr == NULL) MessageBox("This is not working"); else MessageBox("This is working"); here, i am try to get the image(gif) resource,which is stored in the dll(for example testdll.dll). Where as image resource type is "GIF" And resource ID is 504. But i am unable to find the resource. But when i try this FindResource(hmod,MAKEINTRESOURCE(501),RT_BITMAP); Where i have also stored an BITMAP file, and tried find the resource . i have succeded in th...

CRM 4.0 Campaigns`
Hi Just a simple quick question regarding campaigns. I have just created a test campaign to familiarise myself with the campaign feature. The question is when doing an email campaign when does the system send the emails as the status is sitting at Pending at the moment and nothing is happening. I am making a presumption that it does not happen till the evening as not to interfere with normal daily usage. I look forward to any comments. Thanks Hi David, First thing, do you want to send your email activities through Outlook or are you using a CRM Email connector to an Exchange Serv...

value from field not accepted within onlineform (3.0 -> 4.0)
Hy, We just tried to update our running CRM 3.0 to 4.0 there where nearly no problems! (1 report was not upgradeable) We where very happy. but right now a real problem was discovered: the fields: longitude and latidude from the contact form are no more accepted. Enter a value beetween .... But the values do perfectly match within the range When I delete the values I can save the form. When there is any value in the fields it causes the error: Enter a value ... Best regards for any help ...

Scheduling Resources for meetings
Does exchange/outlook provide a way to automatically reserve resources when someone schedules a meeting on his/her calendar or on a public calendar? We had a conflict with our conference room yesterday because two employees had scheduled meetings in the same space at the same time. Is there any option to reserve selected resources when placing a meeting on a calendar? It'd be nice if, for example, when I put a meeting on my calendar and say it'll be in the main conference room, exchange/outlook will warn me that someone has already booked that room at that time. Specifically...

Upgrade 6.0->7.5->8.0 with PA
I am conducting a test upgrade from 6.0 to 8.0 through 7.5 with Project Accounting on a test server. The PA conversion to 7.5 took about 11 hours which is manageable but the conversion to 8.0 has already taken 3 days! and is still running. It has spent most of the time on one particular task and I wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if there is any way to improve the situation. All I can see from SQL Profiler is that the auto-procedure zDP_RM00401SS_1 is being called for each row of that table in turn sometimes many times for the same row. There are about 28000 rows and I&...

Outlook 2002
Tasks from the calender continue to pop up even though they have already been completed in Outlook - Any suggestions on how to fix this? Pop-up as in the reminders still appear? Try this: Close Outlook Select Start | Run Enter Outlook.exe /CleanReminders (note the space between ".exe" and "/CleanReminders") Select OK. Any better? -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "Steve" <steve@emilanderson.com> wrote in message news:0...

Unable to create new user on CRM 4.0
Hi everyone, I've a problem with my CRM 4.0 server. Since I use dcpromo on it (at first the CRM 4.0 server was DC and now it's only a server) I can't create new user on the CRM. The CRM works perfectly with the actuel user but I can't create/ reactive user... The message is in French, it's quite simple :( No info in the message, it just says me that an error has occured... I tried using the 2 methods in the CRM, it's the same error I don't know what can be the problem, and I don't now what do to ... I need help Thanks Potentially to do with Network Service a...

CRM 4.0 Activities Flaw/Issue
After upgrading from CRM 3 to 4 about 1 month ago, a sales rep pointed out an issue with Activites that isn't working as it should (or would think). In CRM 3, if you selected the Due Today option, it would list only activities due today. No overdue items. In CRM 4, if you select the Due Today option, it shows all activities due Today AND overdue. Basically, it's broken and useless with no Today option. In CRM 3, if you selected the Due Overdue option, it would list activites that are overdue. In CRM 4, if you selecte the Due Overdue option, it shows all activities due Today AND ove...

VC++6.0: Access violation while creating wizard with PropertySheet
I'm attempting to create a wizard using the tutorial at http://devcentral.iftech.com/articles/MFC/wizards/default.php. I've gotten as far as creating a dialog, associating it with a class derived from CPropertyPage, and adding that to a CPropertySheet dialog. Also, I call SetWizardMode in the appropriate place. It runs fine on XP. On ME, I get an access violation the SECOND time I run it, not the first. The accessviolation happens after calling CWizardDlg's DoModal method, specifically when the PropertySheet function is called. Once I get the access violation, I keep get...

Pink versus White in bitmap resource
I have 50 or so resource bitmaps in a project. All are supposed to be images on white "backgrounds". However, about five of them appear on light-pink backgrounds. If I change the backgrounds to white (e.g., by using the paint bucket or by pasting in the original image), it looks white on the screen. However, if I close and reopen the resource, the "background" is again pink. I suspect this has to do with the color palette (these are 256 color images, which I need to keep for size, as this app also runs on a Pocket PC). There is definitely a pure white in the palette (...

Can XIRR start with a "0" in the first period
I am having issues calculating XIRR. When my first cash flow is 0, I get an error message, even though a regular IRR calc allows a 0 in the first period. Is this just the way XIRR works or is there a way I can get around it? Thanks for you help. carlsondaniel@gmail.com wrote: > I am having issues calculating XIRR. When my first cash flow is 0, I > get an error message, even though a regular IRR calc allows a 0 in the > first period. Is this just the way XIRR works or is there a way I can > get around it? This appears to be a defect in the XIRR algorithm. As you noted, IRR wo...

Exchange 2007 Resource Mailboxes
Hi, I have setup Exchange 2007 Resource Mailboxes as I have a number of meeting rooms that all users should be able to book. I have since found that if user a) books a meeting and user b) attempts to delete it - he/she can. I don't seem to be able to prevent them, and would appreciate some help. Regards Nick ...

Multiple tasks in sales process stage
I have a sales process with multiple tasks within a stage (4 - 6). Each of these tasks needs to be handled with the previous one being a prerequisite to completing the next. When I reschedule 1 of the tasks (say the first 1 in the list) then the others (task 2, 3 and 4) should be rescheduled accordingly, or at least I would think so. It seems as though upon changing stages all tasks are created and assigned a due date and are then left static. The only workaround here is to create a stage for each task in order to wait for a previous task to be completed before moving to the next task in th...

Microsoft Outlook 2003 tasks view question
In Microsoft Outlook 2003, I am able to define a customized view of each column, under the Tasks section. Is it possible to share the same customized view of the Tasks with other users? In other words, when other users open a shared view of a Task, I want them to see the same column structure as I see. If it is possible to propagate or share my defined view of columns, can someone describe the procedure? Thanks kindly. Joseph There is not an easy "copy this to everyone" command but its possible. When you create the view, use the option to share it with everyone. When they vie...

Numbers beginning with 0
Hi all! I'm having trouble figuring out what to do for a client. She has a speradsheet of addresses and unfortunately one postcode is 0200 (australian postcode). Of course when adding it into excel it obviously chops off the 0 and simply sets it to 200. When mail merging it is causing all sorts of grief and simply changing the format of the cell from number to text is apparently not helping. Is there a way to prevent excel from taking away the zero in a number formatted cell? Thanks in advance! How is she "adding" the post code to XL? If typing it in, preformat the c...

Dynamics GP 9.0 Install for Client workstations
Very Disappointed. I created the msi file to send to the workstations. The client launched the file, it loaded Utilities, but needed the sa password to continue. I still had to go to the client's workstation to put this in. I also had to change the OLE notes and the Shared location of the reports.dic I was misinformed by Microsoft back in October 2005 that the installer package handled all of this information, thus making it a true client pushdown/pull. If it's a brand new install on a workstation, you must also create the ODBC client. Also, I cannot put anything from dis...

Task w/ Multiple Resource
I have a task that requires two resources to work concurrently. It is a series of presentations that need to occur within a single span of five days. Both resources must be available to attend each and every presentation within that 5 day period. There is work that must be complete prior to presentations, therefore this task has a predecessor. It so happens that one of the resources that must perform the task is away on vacation when the predecessor finishes. Even though the vacation is entered as an exception in the calendar of the resource, MS Project still schedules the pr...