Durations keep changing... Help!

Ok... it's me again - brand new user...

I need to list resources (sometimes multiple) for each task, but ONLY show
it shows up on a report for each person.  We do not assign or track
real/actaul hours.  So here's what I've done to try to simplify...
Task #1:  Tasks/Advanced Tab:  "Must Start On" with a start date  (this is
the only constraint I've set in the project); Fixed Duration; Effort Driven
unchecked
All other tasks have the same settings except no constraint date and default
to "As Soon as Possible."

Each Resource:  Booking type - Proposed; Type - Work; Change Working Time -
I've added in their vacation days; $0 per hour

So my project is set up so that I set the start date and manually keep
adjusting it  until I hit the finish date I need.  It was working fine until
I added the resources and now it will change the duration on a couple of task
when I set the start date on Task #1.

I'm so frustrated... isn't there a way to 1) truly lock down the duration
and 2) list resources without it trying to list any scheduled/actual
time/hours?  This should be so simple.  Sigh...

Melinda

As
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hello Melinda,

I have entered in the scenario you describe below.  It must be the non
working (vacation days) you have entered for your resources.  I set the start
date for task 1 and entered a non working day during the task time span and
indeed the task duration increased. Look at the tasks that are adding
duration and see if there is non working time set for these tasks.

Also go to help and search on task types.  Select the about task types to
see how Project makes its calculations.

"mdoster" wrote:

> Ok... it's me again - brand new user...
>
> I need to list resources (sometimes multiple) for each task, but ONLY show
> it shows up on a report for each person.  We do not assign or track
> real/actaul hours.  So here's what I've done to try to simplify...
> Task #1:  Tasks/Advanced Tab:  "Must Start On" with a start date  (this is
> the only constraint I've set in the project); Fixed Duration; Effort Driven
> unchecked
> All other tasks have the same settings except no constraint date and default
> to "As Soon as Possible."
>
> Each Resource:  Booking type - Proposed; Type - Work; Change Working Time -
> I've added in their vacation days; $0 per hour
>
> So my project is set up so that I set the start date and manually keep
> adjusting it  until I hit the finish date I need.  It was working fine until
> I added the resources and now it will change the duration on a couple of task
> when I set the start date on Task #1.
>
> I'm so frustrated... isn't there a way to 1) truly lock down the duration
> and 2) list resources without it trying to list any scheduled/actual
> time/hours?  This should be so simple.  Sigh...
>
> Melinda
>
> As
Thanks! I'll check on that...

"C" wrote:

> Hello Melinda,
>
> I have entered in the scenario you describe below.  It must be the non
> working (vacation days) you have entered for your resources.  I set the start
> date for task 1 and entered a non working day during the task time span and
> indeed the task duration increased. Look at the tasks that are adding
> duration and see if there is non working time set for these tasks.
>
> Also go to help and search on task types.  Select the about task types to
> see how Project makes its calculations.
>
> "mdoster" wrote:
>
> > Ok... it's me again - brand new user...
> >
> > I need to list resources (sometimes multiple) for each task, but ONLY show
> > it shows up on a report for each person.  We do not assign or track
> > real/actaul hours.  So here's what I've done to try to simplify...
> > Task #1:  Tasks/Advanced Tab:  "Must Start On" with a start date  (this is
> > the only constraint I've set in the project); Fixed Duration; Effort Driven
> > unchecked
> > All other tasks have the same settings except no constraint date and default
> > to "As Soon as Possible."
> >
> > Each Resource:  Booking type - Proposed; Type - Work; Change Working Time -
> > I've added in their vacation days; $0 per hour
> >
> > So my project is set up so that I set the start date and manually keep
> > adjusting it  until I hit the finish date I need.  It was working fine until
> > I added the resources and now it will change the duration on a couple of task
> > when I set the start date on Task #1.
> >
> > I'm so frustrated... isn't there a way to 1) truly lock down the duration
> > and 2) list resources without it trying to list any scheduled/actual
> > time/hours?  This should be so simple.  Sigh...
> >
> > Melinda
> >
> > As
It appears you were correct. I deleted all the Non-Working (Vacation time) i
had scheduled for all the resources.  Now no durations are shifting.....
guess I'll have to manually adjust for vacations... What fun!  (MS Project
does not impress me.)

Thanks so much for your speedy assistance! I appreciate it!

"C" wrote:

> Hello Melinda,
>
> I have entered in the scenario you describe below.  It must be the non
> working (vacation days) you have entered for your resources.  I set the start
> date for task 1 and entered a non working day during the task time span and
> indeed the task duration increased. Look at the tasks that are adding
> duration and see if there is non working time set for these tasks.
>
> Also go to help and search on task types.  Select the about task types to
> see how Project makes its calculations.
>
> "mdoster" wrote:
>
> > Ok... it's me again - brand new user...
> >
> > I need to list resources (sometimes multiple) for each task, but ONLY show
> > it shows up on a report for each person.  We do not assign or track
> > real/actaul hours.  So here's what I've done to try to simplify...
> > Task #1:  Tasks/Advanced Tab:  "Must Start On" with a start date  (this is
> > the only constraint I've set in the project); Fixed Duration; Effort Driven
> > unchecked
> > All other tasks have the same settings except no constraint date and default
> > to "As Soon as Possible."
> >
> > Each Resource:  Booking type - Proposed; Type - Work; Change Working Time -
> > I've added in their vacation days; $0 per hour
> >
> > So my project is set up so that I set the start date and manually keep
> > adjusting it  until I hit the finish date I need.  It was working fine until
> > I added the resources and now it will change the duration on a couple of task
> > when I set the start date on Task #1.
> >
> > I'm so frustrated... isn't there a way to 1) truly lock down the duration
> > and 2) list resources without it trying to list any scheduled/actual
> > time/hours?  This should be so simple.  Sigh...
> >
> > Melinda
> >
> > As
Melinda,

I think you are making this a bit more difficult than it needs
be.  There is no reason why you should adjust for vacations
manually.  Project cannot possibly keep the same dates with
resources who have non-working time and you should allow Project
to schedule around the non-working time.

Set your tasks to Fixed Units.  When you assign resources to
tasks duration will not change, however the dates may change if
the resource assigned to the task has non-working time during the
scheduled dates for the task.  You can watch your dates as you
assign and decide to replace the resource with another resource
who may have more working days in their schedule.  Duration is
always measured in working time -- if you assign a resource with
a different working time (non-working), the duration value will
stay the same.

Also, why are you constraining the first task?  It should start
on the start date of the Project which you should set in Project
 > Project Information.

I realize you are trying to get up and running quickly, but
getting some training would likely pay off in spades with you
better able to work with Project versus against it.  If you do
not have time for a two to three day training class, consider
reading through Mike Glen's excellent series of free tutorials.
You can find Mike tutorials at:

http://project.mvps.org/mike%27s_tutorials.htm

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 4/21/2010 5:24 PM, mdoster wrote:
> It appears you were correct. I deleted all the Non-Working (Vacation time) i
> had scheduled for all the resources.  Now no durations are shifting.....
> guess I'll have to manually adjust for vacations... What fun!  (MS Project
> does not impress me.)
>
> Thanks so much for your speedy assistance! I appreciate it!
>

> "C" wrote:
>
>> Hello Melinda,
>>
>> I have entered in the scenario you describe below.  It must be the non
>> working (vacation days) you have entered for your resources.  I set the start
>> date for task 1 and entered a non working day during the task time span and
>> indeed the task duration increased. Look at the tasks that are adding
>> duration and see if there is non working time set for these tasks.
>>
>> Also go to help and search on task types.  Select the about task types to
>> see how Project makes its calculations.
>>
>> "mdoster" wrote:
>>
>>> Ok... it's me again - brand new user...
>>>
>>> I need to list resources (sometimes multiple) for each task, but ONLY show
>>> it shows up on a report for each person.  We do not assign or track
>>> real/actaul hours.  So here's what I've done to try to simplify...
>>> Task #1:  Tasks/Advanced Tab:  "Must Start On" with a start date  (this is
>>> the only constraint I've set in the project); Fixed Duration; Effort Driven
>>> unchecked
>>> All other tasks have the same settings except no constraint date and default
>>> to "As Soon as Possible."
>>>
>>> Each Resource:  Booking type - Proposed; Type - Work; Change Working Time -
>>> I've added in their vacation days; $0 per hour
>>>
>>> So my project is set up so that I set the start date and manually keep
>>> adjusting it  until I hit the finish date I need.  It was working fine until
>>> I added the resources and now it will change the duration on a couple of task
>>> when I set the start date on Task #1.
>>>
>>> I'm so frustrated... isn't there a way to 1) truly lock down the duration
>>> and 2) list resources without it trying to list any scheduled/actual
>>> time/hours?  This should be so simple.  Sigh...
>>>
>>> Melinda
>>>
>>> As
0
JulieS
4/21/2010 11:01:27 PM
Thanks for the help, Julie.  Frankly, I'm a bit addled by this software.  I
did have my tasks set as fixed units and the durations would change.  So I
set all my resouces to 0% and "Proposed", as we are not truly tracking hours.
 I just want to see that the tasks are assigned to them.  My duratiions would
still change.  So I set the tasks to be "fixed duration."

As for training, wouldn't that be lovely and make lots of sense?  No such
luck.  I can't afford it personally and my company won't pay for it.  I
appreciate the tip about those tutorials...

Thanks again!

"JulieS" wrote:

> Melinda,
>
> I think you are making this a bit more difficult than it needs
> be.  There is no reason why you should adjust for vacations
> manually.  Project cannot possibly keep the same dates with
> resources who have non-working time and you should allow Project
> to schedule around the non-working time.
>
> Set your tasks to Fixed Units.  When you assign resources to
> tasks duration will not change, however the dates may change if
> the resource assigned to the task has non-working time during the
> scheduled dates for the task.  You can watch your dates as you
> assign and decide to replace the resource with another resource
> who may have more working days in their schedule.  Duration is
> always measured in working time -- if you assign a resource with
> a different working time (non-working), the duration value will
> stay the same.
>
> Also, why are you constraining the first task?  It should start
> on the start date of the Project which you should set in Project
>  > Project Information.
>
> I realize you are trying to get up and running quickly, but
> getting some training would likely pay off in spades with you
> better able to work with Project versus against it.  If you do
> not have time for a two to three day training class, consider
> reading through Mike Glen's excellent series of free tutorials.
> You can find Mike tutorials at:
>
> http://project.mvps.org/mike%27s_tutorials.htm
>
> I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.
>
> Julie
> Project MVP
>
> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
> information about Microsoft Project
>
> On 4/21/2010 5:24 PM, mdoster wrote:
> > It appears you were correct. I deleted all the Non-Working (Vacation time) i
> > had scheduled for all the resources.  Now no durations are shifting.....
> > guess I'll have to manually adjust for vacations... What fun!  (MS Project
> > does not impress me.)
> >
> > Thanks so much for your speedy assistance! I appreciate it!
> >

> > "C" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Melinda,
> >>
> >> I have entered in the scenario you describe below.  It must be the non
> >> working (vacation days) you have entered for your resources.  I set the start
> >> date for task 1 and entered a non working day during the task time span and
> >> indeed the task duration increased. Look at the tasks that are adding
> >> duration and see if there is non working time set for these tasks.
> >>
> >> Also go to help and search on task types.  Select the about task types to
> >> see how Project makes its calculations.

> .

Need Help w/ Weighted Averaging
I now want to utilize Weighted Averaging. Please find some example data below: &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 1 0.067 2 0.133 3 0.200 4 0.267 5 0.333 ----------- 15 1.000 &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& The result of A6 = Sum of A1:A5 (or 15) The results of B1 to B5 are: B1 = A1/A6 (or 0.067); B2 = A2/A6 (or 0.133); B3 = A3/A6 (or 0.200), etc. The result of B6 = Sum of B1:B6 (or 1.000) Now, here's what I'm trying to achieve: - Alt...

concatenate help
Hello, I am having issues with the CONCATENATE function. I am entering it correctly, and it is equaling the correct values. However, when I try to drag the cell down, it is just copying the same cell over and over as opposed to putting the correct value in the cell. Am I being clear? Please help. I have a list due tomorrow that will take a whole lot more time to finish if I can't get this function to work. Thanks ------------------------------------------------ Message posted from the Excel Tip Forum at http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum/ -- View and post usenet messages directly from htt...

SMS 2003 report help
I have no idea how to do this, but hopefully someone out there can help. Running SMS 2003 and I have the two reports below that I would like to combine with a change. I would like to be able to see the username and time of day usage for each user hit, not just the last usage along with everything in that first report. I would also like to just pull all the data for all games and all dates instead of having to specify. We aren't that big that I need to cut this list down. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch for any help! Mark "Users that have run a specific metered s...

change the text in the legend of a chart w/o changing pivot text
I am trying to create a series of pie charts that compares demographic data for clients assisted with multiple housing-related activities (new homebuyer, rehab, foreclosure prevention, etc.) If I want to look at the age of new homebuyers, on my pivot table I deselect all activities except new homebuyer. After I make my pie chart, in the legend the labels are "new homebuyer 18-24", "new homebuyer 25-34", etc. It's pretty self-explanatory that these are all "new homebuyers". I need for the New Homebuyer part to not be shown in the legend, but I can...

Changing Function to use a Date Input
Hi. can anyone please advise me on how to change the function keys.. sa F10, F11 & F12 to use to input a date into a cell. EG. F10 to be 01/01/04 F11 to be 02/01/04 F12 to be 03/01/04 What I require is to go to any cell and press the relevant function ke to Input the associated date Any help would be greatly appreciate Many thank Rob PS using Excel 200 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com First, I'm not sure if you entered Jan 1, 2004, Feb 1, 2004, and Mar 1, 2004 or Jan 1st-3rd, 2004. Here are a couple of macros. The first turns this on, the second turns it...

Help
Hi I have produced an Excel workbook for gathering exam results and giving a score to them, counting the number of passes over a certain level etc. Each sheet is one student and I have used a little macro to name the sheet according to the name entered at the top of the sheet. My summary sheet requires certain formulae to analyse results from each worksheet. The problem is, I can easily enter the row of formulae for one student - but there could be up to 50 in a workbook! The fill action does not increment through the sheet names either when they are re-named or when they have original na...

Need Help with Report
I have a main from and subform. Main form looks up a doctor and the subform lists the doctor's patients. On the main form there are command buttons to print specific report for these patients. However, when I click on report the report comes up with only 4 out of the 5 paitients. It does not pick up the first patient. Everything else works fine except that one. This is my code for the report. I do have requery in my main form. Even after I requery, it will no show all 5 patients. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me with this. Thank you. Private Sub ADOLVC_Click...

When I sort how do I keep cell references correct?
When I sort a table references to other cells are not maintained properly. I've tried making them both relative & absolute & either way they no longer point to the correct cell (which has moved) after the sort is completed. These are all internal references (within the same table) but on a different row. Select everything below your reference cells and be sure you select al the columns including the column with with your formula - otherwise th columns will no longer be in synch -- wjohnso ----------------------------------------------------------------------- wjohnson's ...

Changing Default DURATION value of 30 min. in activities
Is there a way to change the 30 min. default value in activity types? Even if through the database? Thanks, Oliver The Duration field is represented as a picklist on the activity form. Picklist values can usually be customised through the CRM user interface which would allow you to change the default and add additional values. However, at present the CRM Activity form is not customisable through any supported method. Maybe in a future release. ...

Keeping Rows Together
Excel 2000 I have an Excel sheet that has two rows that I would like to keep together on one page. The rows are formatted in such a way that they look nice together, but not so good when one row is at the bottom of the page, and the other is at the top of the next page. I could stick in a page break to force them onto the same page, but then I'd have to remember to take the page break out if I ever add rows above. I would have the same problem if I added a blank row. Basically, I want to have it both ways. I want to have the two rows always print on the same page, but I also want my ...

How do you change the data and input data into a chart on Excel?
Jon Peltier's Excel chart info may be useful to you. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ "unclemoko" <unclemoko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9AF9FAFA-B657-4C21-A4CA-56B81EC5C27B@microsoft.com... > ...

Changing data from imported .txt file
When i import data from an old (dos based) program negative numbers appear with the minus behind the number. Does anyone have any idea how i can change them all from 1,234.56- to -1,234.56 so Excel will recognise them? Changing them by hand takes forever. Thank you. If you're using xl2002+ and are using File|Open to open a text file, you'll see a wizard popup. On step 3 of that wizard, there's an advanced button. Click it. There's an option to treat trailing minus signs as negative numbers. If you already have the data in the worksheet, you can use... Dana DeLouis pos...

Newbie needs help with table
I have created a database with two tables: Product Orders The product table contains the following fields: ProdID Descr OnHand the orders table contains: CustID ProdID QTYOrdered Cost When I created the Orders table I wanted to use the ProdID on the Product table as a lookup field. When I created the lookup type I selected from the Product Table the ProdID and Descr. When I try to do data entry the system does not properly input the data into the orders ProdID table. What I want is to display the ID AND the Description but I only want the ID placed in the or...

outlook signatures: how to keep it resident in Exchange?
Our users use Outlook to connect to the Exchange 2002 server across a LAN. Is there a way to keep a user's Outlook signature resident in Exchange so that I won't have to set up their signature when I setup their Outlook profile on their machine for the first time. ...

How do I change headings for columns from numbers to letters? #2

How do I change the user ID for a financial institution?
I had to change my user ID for chase.com because someone kept trying to hack into my account and locking it. Where within Money 2006 can I change my user ID for a particular financial institution? I see where I can change the password for a financial institution, but not the user ID. Thanks. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?= <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 03 Jan 2008 in group microsoft.public.money: > I had to change my user ID for chase.com because someone kept trying > to hack into my account and locking it. Where within Money 2006 can > I change my user ID for ...

cells changing from number to date
I am putting a number in a cell, then tabbing to the next cell, the previous cell changed from a number to a date. How do I keep the number there? What are you inputting, a fraction?if so, format as # ??/?? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "mwhite@srgmac.com" <mwhite@srgmac.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E71CED6D-8370-44D1-A4BF-9A6B352205F3@microsoft.com... > I am putting a number in a cell, then tabbing to the next cell, the previous > cell changed from a number to a date. How do I keep the number there? ...

Help me with formula
I have a basic graph 1,2,3,4,5.....going down in and a,b,c,d,e,f,c going across. EX. A B C D E F G ---------------------------------------------- 1 500 25 75 800 (200) 2 3 4 5 6 7 My question is how can I make an equation that Goes like this : Column A+B+D-E=G I showed an example above for on row but i wouuld wnat this to work for any row no matter what data I answer. I want this ewuation to work for any data entered for the whole sheet. I hope you understand and can help anyone. -- thatsall ------...

Help identifying virus
I get an email. Almost instantly another email "arrives" with the same subject but containing the following text: --- begin quote Hello How are you doing recently? I would like to introduce you a very good company which i knew. Their website is www.ebakm.com They can offer you all kinds of electronical products which you need,like Laptops ,GPS ,TV LCD,Cell Phones,PS3,MP3/4,Watch etc........ Please take some time to have a check ,there must be something you 'd like to purchase . Hope you have a good mood in shopping from their company ! Best Regar...

Unwelcome color changes
Any clues what went wrong here? I've been using a spreadsheet for about 2 years. It gets used almost everyday. Over time I've created perhaps 6 or 8 custom colors in the color palette. The sheet is all numbers and I have used color extensively to highlight various cells. Yesterday for the first time I created a new window while using this spreadsheet and had different workbook pages open in each one. I updated data in only one window. After a while I saved the file and exited, then backed it up. Today when I opened it I found these problems with the colors. First, all my custo...

Change public folders
I setup HMC 3.5 and created a new public folder store for hosted accounts. Every account i setup gets an error on send about the offline address book, error no. 0x8004010F I believe this is caused because the organizations are using the hosted folder store, not the default public store. Looking through system manager, all of the folders seem to be created in the Public folder store but the HMC ResourceManagerWebClient/QueryResources.aspx displays the organizations under the Hosted Public Store. How do i move the organizations between the two folder stores? TIA, Moe myarmush at real-war...

Help Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :-(
hello im new, my names Gary an im from coventry in england :-) im doing A(s)-Level ICT and currently working on a spreadsheet desig for a business including order forms customer database etc. the classi a-level ict project basically. I have a catalogue page with the products and the cutomer chooses th size of the product and how many they want etc. i want to create button that the uer clicks that then inserrts this data they hav chosen into the next available space on the order form worksheet, ho would i do this? i probably sound really stupid :confused: but i would really help me if you c...

I need help to customize a specific PowerPoint template
For PowerPoint template called "Beam", how do I change the first bullet on the master slide to be yellow instead of red and still keep the shade effect, and bring the bullet that is blue with the shade effect up to be the second level bullet? ...

Changing the way the home page looks in M07
Hi, I got a new widescreen monitor for Christmas. Is there a way within Money 07 to change the home page layout to allow more than two columns of customized items? Also - off topic - since Road Runner no longer supports news readers, does anyone have a suggestion on how to pick one which offer good value at low or no cost? Mark "Mark Fields" <mark_no_spam_f@siscom.net> wrote in message news:OlUFFK3ZJHA.6036@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I got a new widescreen monitor for Christmas. > > Is there a way within Money 07 to change the home page layout...

Command Button
I would appreciate any help with this. I have a command button on my main form that when you click on it it will take you to the main switchboard and the reports page. This is the what I have now. My Switchboard has two pages. Page one has forms and button to go to the second page which lists reports. This only takes me to the main switchboard. If I type [SwitchboardID] is says there is no such field. I want the command button to take me to the second page of the switchboard and open reports. This is the info in the switchboard table for Reports. SwitchboardID = 2; ItemNumber =...