Creating Cross-Project Links

Hi

1). What is the usage of Creating Cross-Project Links ?
As I understand, "Cross-project links are useful when two or more projects
have only a few tasks that affect one another. For example, a milestone
within a development project might trigger a task in an advertising campaign
project."

2).  How it is implemented in Project 2007 ?
When I copied the task from the source project  into my project ( target
project )  using "Paste Special", the new task I created become another task
in my target project. My observation is both task ( ie. task in the source
and task in the target ) behaving very independently as if they don't have
any link.

Here is my questions.
a) Obviously they are linked.
   How the schedule and cost changes in the source  projects  is getting
reflected  in target project. vice versa.
   Like I said, my observation is they are behaving like independent  task
although they are same task.

3). What is the difference between the "Paste Special" and "Past as
Hyperlink" ?

thanks
KS

project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <9EBC82B1-6B2E-409F-9F6D-336A7CA0C3DD@microsoft.com>,
 ks2008 <ks2008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> 1). What is the usage of Creating Cross-Project Links ?
> As I understand, "Cross-project links are useful when two or more projects
> have only a few tasks that affect one another. For example, a milestone
> within a development project might trigger a task in an advertising campaign
> project."
>
> 2).  How it is implemented in Project 2007 ?
> When I copied the task from the source project  into my project ( target
> project )  using "Paste Special", the new task I created become another task
> in my target project. My observation is both task ( ie. task in the source
> and task in the target ) behaving very independently as if they don't have
> any link.
>
> Here is my questions.
> a) Obviously they are linked.
>    How the schedule and cost changes in the source  projects  is getting
> reflected  in target project. vice versa.
>    Like I said, my observation is they are behaving like independent  task
> although they are same task.
>
> 3). What is the difference between the "Paste Special" and "Past as
> Hyperlink" ?
>
> thanks
> KS

KS,
For what you want to do you should NOT be using paste links or
hyperlinks. The former will work under very controlled conditions but is
generally not recommended because paste links are very prone to
corruption. Hyperlinks are intended to transfer the user from one
application to another, not to physically tie entities together.

What you want to use is external predecessors and successors. There are
various ways to set up active links between otherwise independent
projects. Perhaps the easiest is to create a master file
(Insert/Project) containing the projects whose tasks you wish to link.
Within the master project you can drag and drop link points, (e.g. from
Gantt bars), between tasks in individual subprojects. You can facilitate
this by isolating the desired tasks using filters if the tasks in each
project are not close to each other on the displayed view.

For more information on cross project task links go to Project Help and
look for "create task dependencies (links) across projects"

Unfortunately you already created paste links between the files using
paste links. I recommend you start over with fresh copies of the
original files (i.e. before linking). It may be possible to undo what is
already done but the chances of doing so successfully without creating
link fragments, (i.e. corruption just waiting to happen), is probably
not to good. Sorry.

John
Project MVP
0
John
5/1/2010 2:51:17 AM
Thank  you John.
Certainly I will follow your advice. Indeed, it is very helpful.

At this point I am preparing for the exam 70-632, so I am trying to explore
the features in Project 2007.
Here I was curious to know, how the "Paste Special" is working ?
What hapens, how it impacts the target project, if  there is a change in
source project?
I was looking at the URL (
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project/HA101308651033.aspx),
here I could not find answer to my question.

I have created task dependencies (links) across projects using "Paste
Special".
What I found was, no impact on the target project when there is a change in
the source project, I am may be wrong.
That is why, I am looking for expert input.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks
KS

In article <13C7CD7C-28C3-4352-912D-D651D0A03921@microsoft.com>,
 ks2008 <ks2008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thank  you John.
> Certainly I will follow your advice. Indeed, it is very helpful.
>
> At this point I am preparing for the exam 70-632, so I am trying to explore
> the features in Project 2007.
> Here I was curious to know, how the "Paste Special" is working ?
> What hapens, how it impacts the target project, if  there is a change in
> source project?
> I was looking at the URL (
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project/HA101308651033.aspx),
> here I could not find answer to my question.
>
> I have created task dependencies (links) across projects using "Paste
> Special".
> What I found was, no impact on the target project when there is a change in
> the source project, I am may be wrong.
> That is why, I am looking for expert input.
>
> Many thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Thanks
> KS

KS,
My understanding of paste links versus external dependencies
(predecessors/successors) is that the former is based on Dynamic Data
Exchange (DDE) and the latter is an evolution of that concept using
Object Linking and Embedding (OLE). (If my understanding is incorrect,
will someone please correct me.). Paste links are less stable and hence
more prone to corruption. Links using external dependencies are more
stable but nonetheless care must still be exercised to avoid corruption.

When you linked the two projects together with paste links it sounds
like you copied and pasted (special) the whole task line from one
project to another. That is really asking for trouble because that
procedure creates multiple DDE links for each task parameter (e.g. Name,
duration, start, finish, etc.). You will not see changes until you
update the links. Normally an alert note will pop up asking if you want
to update links when a file with paste links is first opened, but it's
been several years since I worked with paste links, I don't remember all
the details.

External links will appear as ghost (grey) tasks in both projects.
Normally they will automatically update whenever a project is opened (no
alert will appear).

Hope this helps.

John
Project MVP
0
John

How do I send help link....?
Hi! How can I send a link that takes the person to the help file on their machine...of course I'm assuming that we all have the same Office suite installed and that the location of my help files are the same as the other persons. Am I clear? TIA Raymond ...

A bug in GUI of creating query with more outer joins between two tables
Hello, in GUI of Access 2007 (12.0.6423.1000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6521.5000) is generally very simple to make a select query between two tables joined with two or more outer joins (of the same kind normally). But you should be careful. If you build first join clicking on a field of the first table, drag then the connection to the field of the second table and choose the right outer join, then you have to make the next outer join between the same two tables on the same way. If you begin but with the second table first and although you choose the same type of outer join (the arrow...

Links in mails no longer work...
in outlook 2007, out of the blue... when I select a link from an email, I get an error: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I have no idea how this happened. any advise will be helpful. "Rgryn" <Rgryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A02212C-C0BB-45F3-8678-05CA5A2DA967@microsoft.com... > in outlook 2007, out of the blue... when I select a link from an email, I > get > an error: > "This operation has been canceled due to res...

easiest way to create gridlines in an Access 2003 report
Does anyone know an easy way to create gridlines in an Access 2003 report so that it resembles a spreadsheet, other than manually drawing vertical and horizontal lines? You can use the Line method of the report in its Page event. Use a loop to repeat at whatever grid size you want. Measurements are in twips, where 1440 twips = 1 inch This is how the Line method works: Me.Line (Me.ScaleTop, Me.ScaleLeft)-(Me.ScaleTop, Me.ScaleHeight), vbRed -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rathe...

Create Formula
I need to create a formula where I add a set number of Networkdays to a start date. Example: Start Date = 1/2/07 Number of Networkdays = 21 End Date = Is calculated If Start = 1/2/07 and 21 Networkdays are added, what is the retured end date???? I can only find example of Networkdays where I would be providing the Start and End Dates, and it will calculate the Networkdays. I can't find example where End Date is calculated based on the number of networkdays from start date. Can anyone help with a valid formula for this? Thanks!! ...

Creating Mailbox but not an AD account
Is it possible to create just an Exchange Mailbox and not an account on AD. We have a situation where mobile staff don't login to the domain but just access Email using Webmail. We are using Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003. Not possible that I am aware of since a mailbox is considered a property of the AD user account. "David Harris" <DavidHarris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:535545F3-F7B7-428E-9796-88323A0E8734@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to create just an Exchange Mailbox and not an account on > AD. > We have a situat...

Manage System Custom Links
In order to be compliant, security has been removed to maintenance windows, however the users need access to the inquiry window to view information. Unfortunately, the system has set links to maintenance windows. I have customization code to close the maintenance window and open the inquiry window through Modifer with VBA, but this would involve modifying all the windows linked to a particuler maintenance window. I would like to have the ability to manage where the links go to or the ability to add additional links to additional windows through an administrative screen. An example would...

Linking objects in a chart
I have been trying to link content in an autoshape to a cell in my worksheet. In his book Excel Charts, John Walkenbach says that you simply select the object then click in the Formula bar, enter the equal sign, then the cell to be linked. Once you press Enter the object should be linked and show the content of the cell. My problem is that every time I do that, instead of linking the object, I get a new text box in the middle of the chart (with the linked content) - but I need the content in the object! Can anybody help? Thanks T. [I am using Excel XP on Windows XP] I'm not sure how J...

Links #5
To link data in one workbook to another workbook, must both reside in the same directory? No, but it's usually more convienient when possible, in case your MIS dept likes to change the names of paths/directories.......... Just call out the entire path in the link........ Like........ ='c:\yourpath\[Stats June.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1 hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Alan" <almkay@comcast.net> wrote in message news:KaednasUgNlxcS_ZnZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d@comcast.com... > > > To link data in one workbook to another workbook, must both reside in the > same ...

IE8
I just updated to IE8 (as IE7 was giving me some trouble) but when I right-click a link there is no option avaliable to "open link in new tab". Help ? I have tried reregistering one of the registry files that some forums say is behind the reason for this problem, but to no avail. However, I think it might be a compatability issue somewhere, as when I turn off add-ons the option reappears. Any suggestions as to what to do ? As manually trying each add-on is going to take forever ! This is really annoying me, as I use the new tabs option all the time whilst work...

How do I create charts having non absolute reference values?
Not sure what you're asking. If you want to change an axis so it doesn't begin at zero, double click on it and enter your own scaling parameters. If that's not it, try using TWO sentences to explain what you need. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "rvboxel" <rvboxel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97BB5A7C-5AD5-4D84-83A1-02E8B96D2FAE@microsoft.com... > ...

Link variable data from one worksheet to another worksheet?
I am trying to link variable data from one worksheet (my source worksheet) to several other worksheets. For example, my source worksheet has two variables or columns: 'Team' and 'Bye Week'. The first entry under the 'team' column reads 'NE'. Let's say for this example that the first entry under the 'Bye Week' column is the number '10'. Given this, I want every entry under the 'Team' column in other worksheets that read 'NE', to read the number '10' under the 'Bye Week' column. Let's also say tha...

How can save a stationery created using a Publisher design set to.
How can save a stationery created using a Publisher design set to be used as my Outlook stationery? What version Publisher? Select all, right-click, click save as a picture. In older versions, select all, copy and paste to a Paint program. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DCADC78B-C5A3-406E-820D-53910CBB5BDF@microsoft.com... > How can save a stationery created using a Publisher design set to be used as > my Outlook stationery? ...

X=y will not cross 0,0 why
On a simple line chart X=Y used as a demo, the line will not cross at 0,0 why??? Hi tim, Possible you are using Line chart instead of XY Scatter? To change right click and select Chart Type, pick xy scatter. Where does the line cross when x=0 and y=0? Cheers Andy tim wrote: > On a simple line chart X=Y used as a demo, the line will not cross at 0,0 > why??? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Hi Andy I seleected the simple chart to show a friend how easy it was and the line crosses the axis at .5,-.5. the line markers at the ends report 0,0 but the l...

Creating popup dialog as child of a view
Hi, I maintain an SDI document-view architecture based application, for which I'm also writing an extension dll. Basically, this extension dll defines a viewer for some particular log data. Now this viewer has a splitter window, in which I'm loading two views. One is a CListView, and the other is a CScrollView. The list view shows the log entries, and the idea is that when a user double clicks on any entry, a dialog with some graphs related to that event needs to be displayed. The user can open various graph dialogs, then tile vertically or horizontally, as he wishes. The pr...

Linking emails to contacts in BCM / Outlook 2003
I see how to link emails to all contacts, but is there a way to pull up a single contact (in the Business Contact Manager) and link previously sent messages - without it going back through the entire BCM database and setting redundant links for them? Please advise, BSW ...

including files in projects-a DLL and Main question
hello, I was curious if anyone has ever done the following and if so, how. I have a class written in a .cpp and .h file. Currently, this class is a member of an MFC extension DLL project, so I have the AFX_EXT_CLASS macro before the name of the class class AFX_EXT_CLASS foo { .... blah... }; now, these two files reside in a common folder for me to use, or so I would like, in other projects as I see fit. The wrinkle is, I would like to have the ability to include this class in a project directly (sans DLL business) as an initial attempt, I did try #ifdef _NOT_IN_D...

To Create a Circular 'Stamp' or like a Seal Impression
I am making up a document and I want it to appear as though it has been 'stamped' with a circular stamp after the style of 'great seal' of a corporation or somesuch. Actually the whole thing is meant to mimic Chinese documents which were always replete with seals/stamps like this which is why I want to do it. So the writing in the 'seal' should be Chinese. Can this be done in Publisher? Some writing going around in a small radius circle? And placed on top of the document like a stamp so's the document shows through the unwritten portions of the stamp? ...

Update Link Tables from Excel
I recently got an update from Office 97 to Office 2003. We're just slightly behind the times. Anyway, I had an access database in 97 that would link to an Excel file that I would use to add data to the Excel file based upon information in a master table in Access. Now when I try to run the query in Access 2003, it gives me an error that it is not an updateable query. I suppose I could export the master data to an Excel spreadsheet and use a VLookup function, copy and paste to all the records that need to be updated and the copy and paste values, but I originally did...

Create macro not available
I'm trying to create a macro from scratch, and when I select Tools, macro, and go to the dialog box, the "Create" button is grayed out. What would prevent me from being able to access this feature? I checked to make sure the worksheet isn't hidden (I know this can prevent editing, not sure about creating). I'm using XL2000. Any ideas? TIA dave Type a name for your macro in the "macro name" box. Create will un-gray itself. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On 27 Jan 2005 10:48:13 -0800, "davegb" <davegb@safebrowse.com> wrote: >I'm trying to cre...

Project Server vs Microsoft Office SharePoint Server
I see a well priced hosting solution for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server. I own MS Project Professional 2007. I would want to publish tasks, milestones, alerts, etc. to a few collaborators. How well would Project Pro pair with MOSS to suit my stated needs? Other members of the group do not own project. Is there any way through a developed app that would allow the other collaborators to indicate task completion, alerts, etc. within an email that could automate the processng of same. In other words, can a task request be embedded through coding to a recipient through ...

Creating Bookmarks in SharePoint
How do you create bookmarks in SharePoin? One (me included) does not create bookmarks *in* SharePoint if you mean the things that are called "Favorites" in Microsoft Internet Explorer. They are called "Bookmakrs" in Safari. I forget what they are called in other browsers. You use your browser to create a "bookmark" which is a stored URL address of the page of interest. They "point" to web pages via that address. To create a bookmark which points to a web page in SharePoint, go to that page in SharePoint, then with IE, Menu: Favorites/A...

Links Within a Workbook
How can I put a working table of contents on the first sheet of my workbook? I would like to add a link that takes me to other pages in the workbook just by clicking the Sheet's name on the master list. My Budget is about 30 pages long and it's very tedious to go back and forth. Please and Thank you. Use the Hyperlink feature. Just do a Insert> HyperLink>. Choose place in this document. Then select the tab you want to link to. "Angelica" <Angelica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31945479-A990-41D4-9B22-9D125CBD0304@microsoft.com... >...

Erroneous Error Cannot create an array with a negative size
Using : Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1 Installed Edition: Professional Microsoft Visual C# 2008 The IDE displays the error Cannot create an array with a negative size whenever the source is modified but the project does build and the error goes away, until modified again: using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.ComponentModel; using System.Data; using System.Drawing; using System.Linq; using System.Text; using System.Windows.Forms; namespace ArrayBug { public partial class Form1...

Creating New Folders
I have produced so many greeting cards on publisher and have saved them under a general folder. However, it would be more convenient to open separate folders for, say, Christmas 2008/Birthdays 2008, etc. I have opened and named a new folder and then tried to select a number of Documents to copy and paste in the folder but even when holding 'Ctrl' I can only select one document at a time. It works in Word. why not Publisher? Help again, please! Use Windows Explorer, drag and drop the files into the new folder. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "dande" <dan...