Autofilter

Is it possible to autofilter a single column within a project? I am using
Project 2007.
Thanks

Larry
project 1276 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Larry,

I am not sure what you mean by Autofilter a single column.  Can you give
more detail as to what you are trying to do?

"External Update" wrote:

> Is it possible to autofilter a single column within a project? I am using
> Project 2007.
> Thanks
>
> Larry
Hello Larry,

Sure.  Turn on Autofilters and use the drop-down filter only on
the single field.

The Autofilter icons will appear at each field heading, but you
need not use them.  If you are going to need to repeat the filter
regularly, consider saving the filter and then you can simply
select the filter from the filter drop-down.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

On 4/21/2010 2:15 PM, External Update wrote:
> Is it possible to autofilter a single column within a project? I am using
> Project 2007.
> Thanks
>
> Larry
0
JulieS
4/21/2010 11:05:41 PM
Julie,

   Appreciate your help but I was trying to resdtrict the drop-down to a
single column. Any way to do that?
Thanks

Larry
"JulieS" wrote:

> Hello Larry,
>
> Sure.  Turn on Autofilters and use the drop-down filter only on
> the single field.
>
> The Autofilter icons will appear at each field heading, but you
> need not use them.  If you are going to need to repeat the filter
> regularly, consider saving the filter and then you can simply
> select the filter from the filter drop-down.
>
> I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.
>
> Julie
> Project MVP
>
> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
> information about Microsoft Project
>
> On 4/21/2010 2:15 PM, External Update wrote:
> > Is it possible to autofilter a single column within a project? I am using
> > Project 2007.
> > Thanks
> >
> > Larry
> .

C,

    I'm trying to generate a drop-down for a single column.

Larry

"C" wrote:

> Larry,
>
> I am not sure what you mean by Autofilter a single column.  Can you give
> more detail as to what you are trying to do?
>
> "External Update" wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to autofilter a single column within a project? I am using
> > Project 2007.
> > Thanks
> >
> > Larry
Hi Larry,

Sorry, no.  Once autofilters are enabled they are enabled for all
the fields.

Perhaps if you describe what you are trying to do, we can come up
with another approach.

On 4/22/2010 9:41 AM, External Update wrote:

> Julie,
>
>     Appreciate your help but I was trying to resdtrict the drop-down to a
> single column. Any way to do that?
> Thanks
>
> Larry
> "JulieS" wrote:
>
>> Hello Larry,
>>
>> Sure.  Turn on Autofilters and use the drop-down filter only on
>> the single field.
>>
>> The Autofilter icons will appear at each field heading, but you
>> need not use them.  If you are going to need to repeat the filter
>> regularly, consider saving the filter and then you can simply
>> select the filter from the filter drop-down.
>>
>> I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.
>>
>> Julie
>> Project MVP
>>
>> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
>> information about Microsoft Project
>>
>> On 4/21/2010 2:15 PM, External Update wrote:
>>> Is it possible to autofilter a single column within a project? I am using
>>> Project 2007.
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Larry
>> .

0
JulieS
4/22/2010 11:43:09 PM
Julie,

    I appreciate your help on this. I am trying to generate a filter based
on a field. Now I could have the user enter the text for the field but it
would be better if they could select from a drop-down.
Any ideas?

Larry

"JulieS" wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> Sorry, no.  Once autofilters are enabled they are enabled for all
> the fields.
>
> Perhaps if you describe what you are trying to do, we can come up
> with another approach.
>
> I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.
>
> Julie
> Project MVP
>
> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
> information about Microsoft Project
>
> On 4/22/2010 9:41 AM, External Update wrote:
> >
> > Julie,
> >
> >     Appreciate your help but I was trying to resdtrict the drop-down to a
> > single column. Any way to do that?
> > Thanks
> >
> > Larry
> > "JulieS" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Larry,
> >>
> >> Sure.  Turn on Autofilters and use the drop-down filter only on
> >> the single field.
> >>
> >> The Autofilter icons will appear at each field heading, but you
> >> need not use them.  If you are going to need to repeat the filter
> >> regularly, consider saving the filter and then you can simply
> >> select the filter from the filter drop-down.
> >>
> >> I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.
> >>
> >> Julie
> >> Project MVP
> >>
> >> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
> >> information about Microsoft Project

> >> .
> >>
> .

Hello Larry,

Sorry for the delay in replying.  You can try creating a custom
filter with a prompt box.  I believe that depending upon which
field you select, you may get a drop-down in the prompt.

To create the prompt enter the question for the prompt in the
value section of the custom filter.  The prompt text needs to be
enclosed in quotes with a question mark outside of the close
quotes.  For example

Text1 contains "Which department"?

On 4/23/2010 8:34 AM, External Update wrote:
> Julie,
>
>      I appreciate your help on this. I am trying to generate a filter based
> on a field. Now I could have the user enter the text for the field but it
> would be better if they could select from a drop-down.
> Any ideas?
>
> Larry
>
> "JulieS" wrote:
>
>> Hi Larry,
>>
>> Sorry, no.  Once autofilters are enabled they are enabled for all
>> the fields.
>>
>> Perhaps if you describe what you are trying to do, we can come up
>> with another approach.
>>
>> I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.
>>
>> Julie
>> Project MVP
>>
>> Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
>> information about Microsoft Project
>>
>> On 4/22/2010 9:41 AM, External Update wrote:
>>>
>>> Julie,
>>>
>>>      Appreciate your help but I was trying to resdtrict the drop-down to a
>>> single column. Any way to do that?
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Larry

>> .

0
JulieS

Autofilter results
Using Excel 2000, I sometimes use AutoFilter tool. Most of the time I see text at the left side of the Status Bar saying "x of y (Filtered)" but at other times I don't get this message. Is there a pattern to this? What can I do to always see this message? TIA When your list has many formulas, the Status Bar may show "Filter Mode" instead of a count of the visible records. You can use the Subtotal function to count the visible rows. The following MSKB article has some information: XL2000: Excel AutoFilter Status Bar Message Shows "Filter Mode" ...

how to display the count of lines found by autofilter?
Using autofilter to filter rows in a range used to give a count of the number of rows found in the bottom left hand of the screen. Now I have excel 2003 that very useful feature does not seem to be there. Is this a setting I have not found? Is there anyway of getting it back? It's still there, and it still disappears every once in a while. Debra Dalgleish has some workarounds at: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Count elaineb wrote: > > Using autofilter to filter rows in a range used to give a count of the number > of rows found in the bottom left hand of...

Autofilter shows no results, but there should be because there are matches
the column that I am trying to use autofilter on has nothing but numbers in it. But when I do a custom filter for a number that begins with '5' (for example), it shows no results. Even though there are plenty of numbers that start with '5'. I do the same excercise on another worksheet that is formatted the same, and it works fine. If I go back to the non-working worksheet and retype the number in each cell the autofilter will work. WHY OH WHY is this so? That happened to me whenever I imported data from a particular database. On import, somehow a little 1/2 space was put i...

Recalculate a worksheet following an autofilter selection.
Hi I'm trying to work out how to recalculate a worksheet once a filter selection has been made. I think I need to use a worksheet selection change event but I do not know how to detect the filter change. Recalculating the sheet is simply: ActiveSheet.Calculate The filters are in A3:D3. The values to recalculate are SUBTOTALs in E2:H2 Kind Regards Phil Look in the help index for SUBTOTAL to find your answer. You need not recalculate if automatic calc. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Philip J Smith" &l...

How to make The "autofilter" function sort faster?
I have created a database/schedule/booking system, where i use 30 cloumns and 65000 lines of data that contains amongst other things; dates, weeknumbers, weekdays and months. When i have chosen sort about 10 of the 30 possible parameters, looking for blanks to fill with more data, the worksheet functions at a very slow pace to say the least. I have removed the page break from line 65536 (the last line) wich can lead to "lagging" and i have no "conditional formatting" running. any suggestions what i can do to speed things up? -- Setup: AMD Athlon64 X2 DualCore Proc...

Enable autofilter in protected worksheets in Excel 2000
I have excel 2003 and have a created a spreadhseet for multipole users to access. The format of the spreadhseet, data validations and formulas mean that the worksheets need to be protected, which I have done with a password. The protection does allow the use of autofilter. I did this by ticking the appropriate check box in the Protect Sheet dialogue box. The issue is that I have command buttons with macros to do certain tasks such as sort data ranges by date and display various Custom Views. In order for the macros to work each macro VBA code follows a 3 step rule. 1. Unprote...

Delete row and autofilter
Hi Is there a way to stop users deleting row(s) if autofilter is active, maybe bring up a msg box and tell them to turn it off before allowing them to delate row(s)? Cheers Richard ...

Dynamic Chart With Autofilter and Formulae
Hi, I've searched through the groups but van't find the answer anywhere! I have a spreadsheet as an output from Access (I can not get access to do the charts....). The spreadsheet contains extra colums that do running total sums of the data. I want to produce a chart that reflects the data in the spreadsheet based on my autofilter but the formulae that do the running total do not work because they are still using the hidden row data not the new filtered data. Anyone overcome this? I am familiar with VBA but only in Access. Cheers ...

Sum with Autofilter?
I have a spreadsheet with a few columns and column totals. If I apply an autofulter and select a subset, the sum total still shows the total of the entire column, not just the subset. Can this be changed? When using filters use Subtotal(9,A1:A100) << See Help for further details, 9 = to sum; 3 = to count, etc..... "Shaun Allan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:555801c40058$3ac4e200$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have a spreadsheet with a few columns and column > totals. If I apply an autofulter and select a subset, the > sum total sti...

Autofilter in protected worksheet #2
Hi everyone, Does anybody know how to have a working autofilter in a protected worksheet? I work with Excel 2000 Thanks in advance Gustavo Hi not sure but I think enabling Autofilter for protected sheets was introduced with Excel 2002. In your case you have to unprotect the worksheet prior to this (within a macro). See: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter03.html#Protect -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Gustavo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1358a01c443f4$313080c0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi everyone, > Does anybody know h...

Autofiltering
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me please ? Firstly, apologies if what I am asking for is not possible, or if it has been asked before, but I've had a look, and can't seem to find it. I have a spreadsheet which I distribute weekly to certain people. It is basically a top level view of incidents, which shows the following. Sheet Number 1 is : Person - Count Joe Bloggs - 42 Fred Bloggs - 12 And so on. This shows me a summary of how many incidents per person have been logged. Sheet Number 2 is the actual raw data for that count, so it shows every line. So in the above example, t...

AutoFilter-number of matches
Doing autofilter, selecting particular case shows number of matches i the table and total figure of matches in the status bar. In some cases, it doesn't show the figure in status bar. in which situation this thing happens -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The row count is usually displayed in the Status Bar, at the lower left of the screen. However, when your list has many formulas, the Status Bar may show "Filter Mode" instead of a count of the visible records. You can use the Subtotal function to count the visible rows. The following MSKB article has some ...

Excel 2000 crash with autofilter
I've been using Autofilter for quite a while now. I've got quite a large spreadsheet (30MB) with autofilters applied to various worksheets. the first problem I encountered a couple of weeks ago was that the autofilter would simply stop working (i.e. not dropdown list would appear when clikcing on the black arrow). I had to uninstall and re-install to make it work again. The problem then became more frustrating as I had to uninstall and re-install more than once to get it to work again. And finally, last week, I can use the autofilter once and then any attempt to use it again and Ex...

autofilter record count
When using the Autofilter function, the bottom of the worksheet display the recounts count (xx of xxx records found). somehow I lost thi feature. Is there anyway to get it back -- tmack ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tmacke's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1681 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51734 Debra Dalgleish offers some workarounds: http://contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Count (along with the explanation) tmacke wrote: > > When using the Autofilter fu...

selecting date range / data range autofilter
Is it possible to select rows based on a date range (say from 01-01-2005 to 31-12-2005) from column B: A B C id date value 1 01-01-2005 1 2 06-01-2005 1 3 08-02-2005 1 4 16-02-2005 1 5 03-03-2005 1 6 01-01-2004 1 7 06-05-2006 1 8 05-05-2005 1 9 06-06-2005 1 10 09-0 1 sum 10 Morten Yes.............after clicking the AutoFilter arrow on your column of choice, choose "Custom" and in the pop-up select the "greater than" and "less than" options to give you your range of ...

Excel 97/2000 - Autofilter
Hi, Im trying to find my perfect date using Excel (haha). I have all my friends in a database, with Autofilter on. Since I'm male, I first filter on the column sex=f, than second filter is on the column married=n. This works ok, all my non-married female friends are showing. Next I filter on salary=top 3 and the result is empty! I know that my non-married, female friends are not in the salary top-3 of my database, but that is not what I'm looking for. Im looking for the top-3 salary unmarried girls! What do I do wrong, this way I always stay single ! Regards, Ronald Ps. Yes I know, ...

Autofilter by Date in Excel 2002
I am having a problem filtering using the custom filter in Autofilter. I want to custom filter by dates greater than - for instance 1/01/1994. I only get the 1900 dates and not the 2000 dates. At first this worksheet had dates in 2-digit year format, and not all of them were recognized as numbers - some were seen as text. I inserted a column and manually re-entered dates using a 4-digit year and the problem continues. I've multiplied by the number 1. I've copy/paste special\values. I've copy/paste special\values the entire worksheet to a new workbook. Is there something inh...

Worksheet COUNTIF function and AutoFilters
I have set up a worksheet with various columns that can contain "Yes" or "No" values. I have then set up a totals row at the bottom, that uses the =COUNTIF(K5:K82,"Yes") function. What I need to be able to do is then select all the Yes values in any of the columns, and then have the totals line dynamically update, counting only the "Yes" values that are still visible. Thanks John have a look at the SUBTOTAL function. "John Whitworth" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B444C0CD-283B-4345-9AE4-E5FA7C854E8C@mic...

Using AutoFilter with worksheet protection in 2000 vs. 2003
I have created an Autofilter on 2 columns of a protected worksheet in 2000 using a macro that runs upon opening of the worksheet. I am encountering a problem when a 2003 user tries to open the worksheet but cannot use the AutoFilter dropdowns. I know that in 2003 it is much easier to use the Autofilter on a protected worksheet with the AutoFilter option. Anyone have any ideas how I can create the AutoFilter/Protected worksheet situation that will work no matter what Excel version is being used? When I run this code from Workbook_Open in either Excel 2000 or 2003 auto filtering seems to...

List vs. AutoFilter
What is the difference between these two features? It seems that they do the same things. What am I missing? ...

custom autofilter does not work
Hi there, I have Microsoft Excel 2003 version (dont know if makes a difference but i mention it). I have a list with numbers and I have Autofilter activated but when I selected Custom and then the option "begins with" or "contains" it does not bring any result. Even when I selected the hole number that I want to filter (although I want all the numbers that start with some common digits with this one). I dont know if this version has any problem with that thing. I have used the same feature in the past with previous versions and it worked just fine. If anybody has s...

How can I specify more than 2 criteria in AutoFilter
Seems the AutoFilter can have at most 2 criteria. I do have a need to have 3 or more criteria to filter out a column of strings. How can I accomplish this? Thanks! Felix One method is to use an auxillary column for your filtering. You can put a formula into a new colun the would produce either a True or False and then you can autofilter on the true or false for example In cell Z1 =or(A1="A",A1="D",A1="Z") then copy formula down column Z to last row of data. Then autofilter column Z. -- joel ----------------------------------------...

Autofilter not grabbing last row
When I autofilter a criteria, it also includes the last row of data, which shouldn't be included as it doesn't meet the criteria. For example, to autofilter by 00001 (knowing there are 5 records with 00001), I get the following: 00001 00001 00001 00001 00001 00099 Why is it pulling 00099? I've tried to remove autofilter and apply it again. I've even tried copying the data to a new worksheet. Doesn't work. Select the rows that you want to include before selecting Autofilter. -- David Biddulph "Elaine" <Elaine@discussions.microsoft.co...

How to password protect a selection using the autofilter function?
Hi, Could anyone tell me how I can password protect a selection from using the autofilter option in Excel 2000. The purpose of this is that I have a file that has some data under a couple of people's names. I want the person who selects the data under his/her name to be prompted for a password so only that person can view the data. I know i can seperate the data and send it individually, but if I can do the above, then that would save me some time. If anyone know how to do that please email me at yuppie931@yahoo.com. I really appreciate it. I am not sure if I need to do a VBA or there is...

1000 limit on autofilter
I should be grateful for guidance on any "workarounds" to get around the 1000 limit on records that appear in dropdown lists in autofilter. Thanks -- Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears You can use an additional column with a formula to break the items into groups. There are a couple of examples here: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits Jack Schitt wrote: > I should be grateful for guidance on any "workarounds" to get around the > 1000 limit on records that appear in dropdown lists in autofilter. > > Thanks > --...