Time keeping systems and Project Server 2007

Can anyone suggest the best way to import actual hours from a existing time keeping system?  This is my first Project Server deployment, and it has been smooth so far.  I would greatly appreciate advice and/or experience in this area.

Thanks, and happy new year

D.L. Pruett

ASP.NET Production Exception Logging for Dummies
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9bd9164a-8af4-4951-9f1b-e188b80f5c7c/aspnet-production-except.aspx
0
Daniel

It all depends upon if you want to kept timephased days/hours without any
changes or if you want to submit a grand total and let the scheduling engine
put the work where it wants.

The first case, you should use the UpdateTimesheet PSI and follow that with
an ImportTimesheet PSI to get the time into the My Tasks page.  You will have
to use .NET impersonation since only the actual data owner can update the
timesheet or the My Tasks database tables.

The second case, all you need to do is an impersonation and UpdateStatusing
PSI call to achieve your import.

Dave
www.ProjectServerExplained.com

"Daniel Pruett" wrote:

> Can anyone suggest the best way to import actual hours from a existing time keeping system?  This is my first Project Server deployment, and it has been smooth so far.  I would greatly appreciate advice and/or experience in this area.
>
> Thanks, and happy new year
>
> D.L. Pruett

> ASP.NET Production Exception Logging for Dummies
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9bd9164a-8af4-4951-9f1b-e188b80f5c7c/aspnet-production-except.aspx
> .

There're a number of third party tools which can integrate timesheets with
Project Server.  Check with your timesheet vendor....

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

> Can anyone suggest the best way to import actual hours from a existing
> time keeping system?  This is my first Project Server deployment, and
> it has been smooth so far.  I would greatly appreciate advice and/or
> experience in this area.
>
> Thanks, and happy new year
>
> D.L. Pruett

> ASP.NET Production Exception Logging for Dummies
>
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9bd9164a-8af4-4951-9f1b-e1
> 88b80f5c7c/aspnet-production-except.aspx

0
Andrew
1/5/2010 1:47:34 AM
Daniel:

You are staring down one of the most difficult challenges of interfacing an
EPM system to an existing enterprise system. None is more problematic than
connecting existing time data to projects in an EPM database in a meaningful
way. Traditional timekeeping systems track time by project or job code or
some such similar construct. Your challenge is to define the business logic
to determine how to connect the data as you will not be able to apply simple
objective mapping between project codes and job codes if you want to see
actual work distributed in a time-phased representation in the project
schedule. You can worry about the developer choices once you've determined
the logic for abstracting the data from the time system into the EPM
platform.

--
Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP
msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com

"Daniel Pruett" wrote in message news:201014142017dpruett40@whidbey.com...
> Can anyone suggest the best way to import actual hours from a existing
> time keeping system?  This is my first Project Server deployment, and it
> has been smooth so far.  I would greatly appreciate advice and/or
> experience in this area.
>
> Thanks, and happy new year
>
> D.L. Pruett

> ASP.NET Production Exception Logging for Dummies
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9bd9164a-8af4-4951-9f1b-e188b80f5c7c/aspnet-production-except.aspx

0
Gary

Timesheet to monitor flexi-time
Hi All, Does anyone have a spreadsheet that can be used to record employee timesheet details, capable of accommodating simple flexi-time and part time hours. Ideally, i would like an option to add employees and then enter their agreed working hours (this is to be used as a look up). Then, On a weekly basis, data will be entered for the previous 7 days� Hours worked can fall under the following categories... Hours worked �normal� time Hours worked flexi time Hours �Sick� Holiday Bank Holiday Authorised Absence Paid Authorised absence unpaid I'd also like A way of viewing information...

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Relay from unstruted server

Relay Servers?

Microsoft Exchange Server

Publisher 2007 frequently crashes

Add PowerPoint 2007 to Office Basic

Archiving Projects in Project Accounting
Has anyone found a way to archive closed projects? Thanks. ...

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Outlook 2007 Calendar -> Outlook 2003

compact database in VBA access 2007

MFC project with my classes
I have got a project that uses MFC. I want to expand the functionality of the project by adding a few of my own classes to it. But I don't know where should I create objects of my new classes so that I can access them, I know the WinMain function resides in CWinApp class and my project has a class inherited from the CWinApp class, but where should I define my own objects I can't figure it our. Can anybody help? Adrian wrote: > I have got a project that uses MFC. I want to expand the functionality > of the project by adding a few of my own classes to it. But I don't > kno...

2 Domains, 1 Exchange Server

Time Clock Systems
Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates well with GP? On Oct 5, 10:20 am, kcd <k...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates > well with GP? We just implemented Time Matrix by Business Computers (www.business- computers.com) and are very happy with it. We implemented quickly the hardware wasn't propietary or complicated so we were able to source our own stuff. Troy I can speak highly of Unitime's time and attendance system. They are a relatively low cost solution t...

question about Time