Save as Template and Permissions

Project Server 2007 and WSS:
In the Save as Template page for a site we found the warning:
Caution: Item security is not maintained in a template.
Does it means that all the permissions we set in 'Site Settings > Advanced
permissions' will be lost?
Thanks

0
Xiao

Yes it will be lost. You cannot preserve security in templates. In some
cases you can preserve content, but not permissions.

--
Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP
msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com

"Xiao" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Project Server 2007 and WSS:
> In the Save as Template page for a site we found the warning:
> Caution: Item security is not maintained in a template.
> Does it means that all the permissions we set in 'Site Settings > Advanced
> permissions' will be lost?
> Thanks

0
Gary
2/22/2010 12:27:43 PM
Gary:
Thanks a lot for clarifying that.

"Gary Chefetz" <gary@chefetz.nospam.org> a �crit dans le message de news:
uduJwp7sKHA.4428@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Yes it will be lost. You cannot preserve security in templates. In some
> cases you can preserve content, but not permissions.
>
> --
> Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP
> msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> FAQs and Reference http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> BLOG: http://projectserverhelp.com
>
> "Xiao" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Project Server 2007 and WSS:
>> In the Save as Template page for a site we found the warning:
>> Caution: Item security is not maintained in a template.
>> Does it means that all the permissions we set in 'Site Settings >
>> Advanced permissions' will be lost?
>> Thanks

0
Xiao
2/22/2010 12:54:28 PM
Xiao.. unfortunatelly not, but if you're like me, please make yourself loud
on feedbacks\forums for 2010 as this feature is one of my TOP TOP TOP ones I
wish MOSS teams look in to. Even if it is not part of template itself, you
could make the CMS/publishing engine copy permissions from target site at the
time it provisions a new workspace.. its not that hard to code it on the
event handler level.

"Xiao" wrote:

> Gary:
> Thanks a lot for clarifying that.
>
> "Gary Chefetz" <gary@chefetz.nospam.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
> uduJwp7sKHA.4428@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> > Yes it will be lost. You cannot preserve security in templates. In some
> > cases you can preserve content, but not permissions.
> >
> > --
> > Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP
> > msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> > FAQs and Reference http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> > BLOG: http://projectserverhelp.com
> >
> > "Xiao" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Project Server 2007 and WSS:
> >> In the Save as Template page for a site we found the warning:
> >> Caution: Item security is not maintained in a template.
> >> Does it means that all the permissions we set in 'Site Settings >
> >> Advanced permissions' will be lost?
> >> Thanks
> >>

> .

Given the sensitivity  of the "security" topic, I seriously doubt that
you're going to win this one anytime soon. Vaso, why not post your code
solution on CodePlex?

--

"Vaso Vukovic" <VasoVukovic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Xiao.. unfortunatelly not, but if you're like me, please make yourself
> loud
> on feedbacks\forums for 2010 as this feature is one of my TOP TOP TOP ones
> wish MOSS teams look in to. Even if it is not part of template itself, you
> could make the CMS/publishing engine copy permissions from target site at
> the
> time it provisions a new workspace.. its not that hard to code it on the
> event handler level.
>
> "Xiao" wrote:
>
>> Gary:
>> Thanks a lot for clarifying that.
>>
>> "Gary Chefetz" <gary@chefetz.nospam.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> uduJwp7sKHA.4428@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> > Yes it will be lost. You cannot preserve security in templates. In some
>> > cases you can preserve content, but not permissions.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP
>> > msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com
>> > FAQs and Reference http://www.projectserverexperts.com
>> > BLOG: http://projectserverhelp.com
>> >
>> > "Xiao" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> >>

>> .

0
Gary

User removed Anonymous permission from Calendar...how to get it back
A user has deleted the Anonymous permissions from their calendar and I am unable to find a way to get it back. Does anyone know what can be done to add this back to their calendar. TIA In news:Xns9861A9314BAB8bobarcabca@207.46.248.16, Fuzzy Logic <bob@arc.ab.caREMOVETHIS> typed: > A user has deleted the Anonymous permissions from their calendar and > I am unable to find a way to get it back. Does anyone know what can > be done to add this back to their calendar. TIA In that user's Outlook, right-click on Calendar, properties, permissions tab. Add Anonymous, and do whate...

Template For IP4300
Hi Guys Has anybody out there got a print template for Canon IP4300 to print direct to disc using Publisher 2007? Thanks Make your own??? http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa753280.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "R J Wright" <rjwright@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:O44OEjy8HHA.600@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi Guys > > Has anybody out there got a print template for Canon IP4300 to print direct to > disc using Publisher 2007? > > Thanks Hiya.... I've do...

Drawing shapes and saving them
Hello, I'm looking for a way to draw or drop basic resizable shapes on a form that could be retrieved once the form is closed and loaded again Thanks Avi > I'm looking for a way to draw or drop basic resizable shapes > on a form that could be retrieved once the form is closed > and loaded again Take a look at our MetaDraw component. http://www.btis.com/btProducts/MetaDraw/MetaDraw.htm MetaDraw will allow your users to draw shapes, move the shapes, and resize the shapes. You can also save and reload the layout and continue ...

Even better savings!
I've found a brilliant method of getting the best price and getting the best cashback - and it's foolproof. You first of all have to register with www.rpoints.com/register (it's my fave site and they give you �5 just for joining if you are a new member). Look around all the rpoints partners and you can buy anything and get the best price and rpoints will give you cashback. But THAT'S NOT ALL!! If you pay with Barclaycard (for your good when you are on rpoints) then Barclaycard will give you the money back if you can find the item cheaper anywhere instore or on the net and ...

xlstart file is not the same I saved
I saved a file (large with several macros) in xlstart. When excel starts, a file with the same name opens, but only with 3 empty worksheets and no macros. When I open the file by hand from xlstart the original, large, file opens. Why doesn't the file open in xlstart? What can I do? You may have more than one XLSTART folder(most do). The one that works for me is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART You may have placed the file into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart which is not the regular default folder. Gord Dibben Excel M...

Permissions
I have a three user id's on my Cube running Office for Mac X (10.1.4). When any user other than mine (mine being the administrator) tries to open up any of the Office components, a message appears saying: You do not have permission to open the application "Microsoft Word". Contact the person who administers your computer or your network administrator for assistance. I have checked the permissions for these applications logged in to all three of the user id's and they all have permission to "read & write" under group; the owner is shown as me. I must be miss...

System Restore and registry saving
Hello After some bad computer troubles lately I was advised to daily use the tool called "System restore" So I made sure to set a new point of System restore each evening before I shut the machine for the day, and I could see those points highlighted on the system restore page. BUT, when I tried today to restore the machine to a selected point, after much screen flashes and other acrobatics it comes back and tell me that the system can NOT restore the machine to the selected point. So much for this lovely tool. Then I was told that "Registry save" a...

why can't I reopen a document saved in publisher
I am trying to do flyers thru publishers, save the documents for further use but I cannot re-open the document. Can someone help? What happens when you try? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Dsmale5" <Dsmale5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B70BF36-747C-45C7-B89F-15F58B338E06@microsoft.com... >I am trying to do flyers thru publishers, save the documents for further >use > but I cannot re-open the document. Can someone help? How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198256/en-us -- ...

A save operation on table "PM_Transaction_Work" casused a sharing
Hi, When my user post a PM batch using VPN, the connection is broken and the batch posting is interrupted. The status is "Table Updates Interrupted". When I try to recover the batch through Batch Rocovery, it did not allow to. saying that" Batch NOV INVOICES" failed to complete posting. Use Batch Recovery window to complete the posting process. " (I am at the batch recovery window already!!!!) When I click "more" then I see the following: "A save operation on table 'PM_Transaction_WORK' caused a sharing error." Further invest...

trying to save a publisher doc to cd,message no disc in drive
I am trying to save a publisher doc (brochure) to a CD, each time I get a message that there is no disc in the drive, D or E, when each time there has been. What am I doing wrong. I have tried saving other things, in other programs without a problem. MsJLee <MsJLee@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am trying to save a publisher doc (brochure) to a CD, each time I > get a message that there is no disc in the drive, D or E, when each > time there has been. What am I doing wrong. I have tried saving > other things, in other programs with...

My code stops after the record saves....form never closes
Users are going into to update a number, and they want to close the form before the record gets saved, thus losing their changes. I created an Exit button, which should save the record change and close the form. Here's the code: If Me.Dirty Then RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord End If Forms![frmRMSHours]![Act Hours] = Me![Text9] DoCmd.Close If the record is dirty, they press Exit and the record saves. They have to press Exit again and the form closes. If the record is not dirty, the form will close when pressing Exit. What am I doing wrong? To save ...

permissions 03-29-06
I have a Marketing Professional who needs the ability to convert Leads - what circle / state do I need to fill out in the Security role? To Disqualify a lead -------------------- 1. Read Lead 2. Write Lead To Qualify a lead to an opportunity ---------------------------------- 1. Read Lead 2. Read account 3. Read contact 4. Read opportunity 5. Create opportunity 6. Write Lead 7. AppendTo lead 8. AppendTo account 9. AppendTo contact 10. Append opportunity To Qualify a lead to an account ------------------------------ 1. Read Lead 2. Read account 3. Write Lead 4. AppendTo lead 5. Append Acco...

How do I remove the pop up message when saving a CSV
I use alot of CSV files and when I save them I get the message "may contain features that are not compatible with csv". Is there a way to turn this off and just save it? Hi If you do the saving with VBA you could add the line application.displayalerts=false -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Eric wrote: > I use alot of CSV files and when I save them I get the > message "may contain features that are not compatible > with csv". Is there a way to turn this off and just save > it? I'm just opening them and changing a piece of data and closing t...

formula only works when file is saved.
For some strange reason my formulas do not work until I save the sheet.I am using 2007 with a file that was in 2003. Never had a problem before. It is in compatibility mode. when I enter the data nothing happens in the cell where the result is suppose to go. If I close and save the result shows up. If I open the file back up and take out the data I put in the result is still there, where it should be a zero. Something is screwed up. Multiple people have access to this file. Sorry about the post . I found the problem. Somebody changed calculations to manual "bob" <...

how to retrieve information that was saved on a floppy disk?
i saved information on a floppy disk 1.44 mb that was already formatted and had information on it previosly. when i tried to open the floppy disk the computer was telling to formatt my disk.where did all my information go? can i get it back? I presume you have tried taking the floppy out and re-inserting it and trying again? Pete ...

Save file as readonly with password
is there a way for access to export a file to word (.rtf) as a read only file with a built in password to unprotect it? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

word document erased and saved
Have a user (office 2007, vista business) who is working on a document. Something happens and document is cleared and saved as blank document. Is there any scenario (apart from operator error) explaining this? I take it you have checked that the text hasn't been inadvertently formatted as hidden or in white color? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "dcovington" <dcovington@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2AE949F5-0928-4AF8-AB1C-12968D34B14B@microsoft.com... > Have a user (office 2007, vista business) who is working on a document....

calculations do not update unless page is saved
I have an excel 2003 workbook with 32 tabs the first set of tabs are named according to the date 09-01-09 the last two tabs total all the important info one is 1st - 15th other is 16th - 30th on my total pages the first column is the date 09-01-09 (as Text) and i use the indirect function in my formulas to refer to the individual tab names.. everything works and calculates but it doesnt happen On-the-fly like excel usually does i have to actually hit save for any calculations to update even on the individual tabbed dates formulas like A1+A2 dont display a result untill saved.. did...

Outlook 2003 POP save on server x days
Hi, In Outlook 2003 - Accessing POP3 Mail - When you select save on server x number of days - When does the time count for days begin? Lets say I have old E-Mails in Outlook - and on the server - I choose to leave on server 30 days - Will all E-Mail older than 30 days be removed from the server - immediately? Or will the time count 30 days from when I chose to leave them on the server - so 30 days from when I chose to leave on server for x days - they will begin being removed from the server? Thank You it's 30 days from the date you downloaded them into outlook. I...

File saving
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Hi, Is there a way in which a file can be saved to multiple locations at one time. Or is there always the need to, "file - save as - etc" to each location. Many thanks. Pat On 6/1/09 4:33 PM, in article 59b75b80.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Sydneyinthesun@officeformac.com" <Sydneyinthesun@officeformac.com> wrote: > Is there a way in which a file can be saved to multiple locations at one time. > Or is there always the need to, "file - save as - etc" to each location. > Many t...

Print publications are saving as Web publications unintentionally
Have been producing church bulletins using Publisher for some time. Bulletins are usually 8 pages and print in booklet form. This week everytime I save the publication as a Print Publication, it becomes a Web Publication (when reopened). As a Web publicxation, printing is all screwed up . . . converting to Print Publication only works until you close and reopen the document and printing remains messed up even after conversion. Are you using the same bulletin over and over? What version Publisher are you using? Have you tried a detect and repair? Sounds like you have some corruption goi...

how do I make an excel template
I am trying to figure out a way to make a spreadsheet to track fees that are paid each week in our soccer team. I have no idea where to start or what to do. I need something than can accomodate dates, names and an amount paid and that will also give me a balance per person each week. Are there any templates like this that anyone knows of, or is there a tutorial somewhere that I can attempt to make my own? Thanks I could help you with this, but need to know what the weekly amount would be to give you anything "nice". Meanwhile, you could take my extreme tutorial: http://www.off...

Cant open saved files in Publisher Beta2 new version. Any advise
I have tried to open several save files in the new version of Publisher Beta 2, but alas it seems impossible. When clicking on recent files they can't find them and I have to browse for them, but when I find them I get the message cant open the file (s). Somebody having a good advise? Have you installed the beta refresh? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=B07A3387-01CF-4BC3-821A-0BB10E7A59FA&displayLang=en&oRef=blockedReferrer There are a number of fixes in the refresh. I cannot duplicate your error, Publisher 2007 opens all my files. Do you have Norton...

allow template user to insert picture
I'm creating a form which I will save as a protected template. How do I allow users to insert their own logo in a designated area? Is this possible? I tried using the "image" control box field but I'm not sure if this is what it is intended for. Thanks I think I'd use a macro that asked for the logo, unprotected the worksheet, added the logo and then reprotected the worksheet. Kind of... Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myPictName As Variant Dim myPict As Picture Dim wks As Worksheet Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1") myPictName ...

Merge address in XL to Word letter template
Friends, Here is the basic situation. I have about 10 excel sheets containin addresses of thousands of contacts. They are written like this: [prior title][first name][middle name][last name][en title][street address line 1][street address line 2][street addres line 3][city, state zip] Not all cells, like titles, contain data for all persons. Anyway, wha I need is a way to insert, automatically, these addresses into th proper address space in a prewritten letter and on an envelope. I kno how to merge to create address labels in word, but not merge them int a completed letter, as in: Word Fil...