Representing new, open positions in EPM 2003 for resource planning

Hi,

We have several new positions available that won't be filled for a few
months. We are attempting to introduce a 12-month rolling resource plan using
our data in EPM. We enter all of our projects into the system, make our best
guesses on who will be working on what project with a general timeframe and
work effort. We do assign our enterprise resources on the task level and
leave the resources as proposed.

What is the best way to represent these new hires in the system so we can
assign them to projects for resource planning? Should they just be generic
resources or local resources or something else?

Thanks!

Irish --

If it were me, I would use a Generic resource called something like New Hire
and set the Max. Units value to 100% multiplied by the number of new people
you are planning to hire.  I would set the start of their Availability to
the date they will be hired (you do this by double-clicking the name of the
resource and setting this information in the bottom of the General tab).
That's my opinion.  Perhaps others have an idea for you as well.  Hope this
helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"Irish Gues" <IrishGues@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have several new positions available that won't be filled for a few
> months. We are attempting to introduce a 12-month rolling resource plan
> using
> our data in EPM. We enter all of our projects into the system, make our
> best
> guesses on who will be working on what project with a general timeframe
> and
> work effort. We do assign our enterprise resources on the task level and
> leave the resources as proposed.
>
> What is the best way to represent these new hires in the system so we can
> assign them to projects for resource planning? Should they just be generic
> resources or local resources or something else?
>
> Thanks!

0
Dale
1/28/2010 8:15:24 PM
Irish,
I like Dale's solution as well.  One more option if you are already using
generic resources is to increase the units of the existing generic resource
that reflects the role you are hiring.  I tend to initially set generic
resources to 0 max units so that they don't reflect unavailable capacity.
Then when you have a hire pending, increase the units for that generic
resource role per Dale's instructions.

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> Irish --
>
> If it were me, I would use a Generic resource called something like New Hire
> and set the Max. Units value to 100% multiplied by the number of new people
> you are planning to hire.  I would set the start of their Availability to
> the date they will be hired (you do this by double-clicking the name of the
> resource and setting this information in the bottom of the General tab).
> That's my opinion.  Perhaps others have an idea for you as well.  Hope this
> helps.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "Irish Gues" <IrishGues@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have several new positions available that won't be filled for a few
> > months. We are attempting to introduce a 12-month rolling resource plan
> > using
> > our data in EPM. We enter all of our projects into the system, make our
> > best
> > guesses on who will be working on what project with a general timeframe
> > and
> > work effort. We do assign our enterprise resources on the task level and
> > leave the resources as proposed.
> >
> > What is the best way to represent these new hires in the system so we can
> > assign them to projects for resource planning? Should they just be generic
> > resources or local resources or something else?
> >
> > Thanks!

Resizing to Scale in Visio 2003
Maybe a simple question - First you create a technical drawing to a certain scale on 11"x17" diagramming paper. Each inch of paper is a 10x10 square so 100 small squares make up one square inch. There are 17 squares horizontally and 11 squares vertically. 1. First Question: can this drawing be scanned for use by Visio 2003 and in what format? 2. Second Question: can Visio Resize this drawing image to a much larger size but Preserve the Scale that was used? If so I would then print this new Resized drawing on a drafting type print device to produce a drawing plan. Thank y...

Publisher 2003, inserting information into labels
I have created a label template in Publisher 2003. There are six labels per page. The only item that will change on each label will be the serial number. I have tried to use the catelog merge to get the respective serial numbers on each of the labels. Unfortunately, that has not worked. Instead of getting six different serial numbers on six different labels per page, I get one serial number on six different labels on one page. Is there a way to get different six different serial numbers on six different labels on one page? You may have to run this through twice or setup your names ...

Exchange 2003 SP2 and IE 7
Hi, Since installing IE 7 on the Exchange back-end server, I can't get access to any information in the public folders from Outlook clients. I can open the Public folders, but there is nothing showing in there... But if I add new stuff, the new item shows up in that PF. If I try the some public folder that are not replicated on this server, I can see the content... This is not a permission problem, since that has not changed, and has been verified... Any one knows what is going on ??? Thanks !!! ...

hyperlink open in new window
How do you create a hyperlink and have it open in a new window? refer to http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub2002/pub2002_13.htm -- David Bartosik - MS MVP for Publisher help: www.davidbartosik.com enter to win Pub 2003: www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx "sharin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2180BE5B-1783-4F9A-A167-D8E3BF34B3CC@microsoft.com... > How do you create a hyperlink and have it open in a new window? ...

New appointment, nothing happens
Hi, suddenly I'm no longer able to add appointments to my calendar. Nothing happens when trying. I also tried to sync my mobile calendar to it and it seems to sync just fine, but it will not add any new appointments. Any suggestions ? (outlook 2003, winxp pro) Thanks, Jorgen Sorry, just figured out the (possible) cause: I had a microsoft update pending, after innstallation and reboot everything is fine. Jorgen "JGH" <nospam@thanks.org> wrote in message news:eyVH5TpwGHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, suddenly I'm no longer able to add appointments to...

Moving my Outlook files to new computer
How can I move my Outlook 2003 files (Contacts, Calendar, mail, etc) to a new computer? ...

Outlook 2003
When I type in a name to address an email, unless I have mailed them already and they appear on the recently used list, I then get a Check Names dialogue box and have to then search for additional names, even though the name is in the Address Book. Not sure why this is happening - I do have the Option to Suggest Names checked? Any ideas? Thanks State the steps you are using more clearly. You are talking about two completely different features here, the first is autocompletion, the second autoresolution. The latter will not prompt you for a search unless you have entered an invali...

Hey Microsoft! Exchange 2003 Question
Can an Exchange administrator modify the Level1 and Level2 attachment lists? I don't want my Outlook users to have to save a certain type of file to the disk first. If so how? Thanks This may help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/admin.htm -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0be901c3db86$5e56e700$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can an Exchange administrator modify the Level1 and > Level2 attachment lists? > I don't want my Outlook users to ha...

Outlook does not open all of a sudden
I have Office 2007 Business I cannot open Outlook all of a sudden. I get a message that The Outlook Folders cannot be opened, that the server is not available (?). I run Microsoft Office Diagnostic with no apparent problems, I tried to fix , to uninstall and reinstall. All other programs ( Excel, Word, power point, etc) are working fine. Can anybody give me a suggestion before I get another hard disk and reinstall everything? What is the exact error message? Paraphrasing does not help. Have you tried a new mail profile? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the grou...

Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager #5
I have XP Pro, Office 2003 Pro with Business Contact Manager. I am using MSN for dial up ISP but have other POP3 email accounts. 1-Can not get Outlook to send message out to mail server. SMTP. Error says it found the server, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. I sent the error to the mail admin and he checked all setting on the server and says there is not problem on his end. I have never had to set SSL settings and port settings for email. 2-Just started Outlook 2003 and received the following error: There was a probl...

cant see pictures in publisher 2003
Inserting pictures work ok , then i cant see them , clicking on the area of picture the outline grabs are there but no visible picture. TOOLS > GRAPHIC MANAGER shows the thumbprint , thats all , What am i going wrong >-----Original Message----- >Inserting pictures work ok , then i cant see them , clicking on the area of >picture the outline grabs are there but no visible picture. TOOLS > GRAPHIC >MANAGER shows the thumbprint , thats all , What am i going wrong >. > If you can click on the image and see outline grabs. Do so and then choose Order from the Arrange ...

Missing Information after server migration to Exch 2003
I'm consulting at a company and they asked me to look at two problems they're having. However I do not know much about Exchange. This all happened before I worked there. As it was explained to me, they had Exchange 2000 running on a server. They got a new server with Exchange 2003. Everything was moved over to the new server. The old server was 'shut down'. Actually, the server is still up (a DC) but Exchange was un-installed. Problem 1: They had delegates set up for their calendars. They're all gone. Nobody can access anybody else information. Is there a way other ...

2003 excel
I would like to change the cell color if there is a "r" found in it. All the cells are in the same colum and there are also numbers in the cells with the "r". Can anyone help ? Assume data in col A Select the col, then apply conditional formatting using Formula Is: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("r",A1)) Format to taste > OK out Replace SEARCH with FIND if you need it to be case sensitive -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:16,400 Files:356 Subscribers:53 xdemechanik --- "Dave" wrote: > I would like to change the cell color if ...

New Project, Different Problem: AutoFilter?
I'm creating a database of outside trainers. Each trainer can handle multiple categories of training. It is essential that the training manager be able to create lists for specific categories as the need arises, as well as being able to do more standard sorts such as Name. Rather than making multiple entries for each Trainer (one for each category, which may reach 10+), I'd like to allow multiple entries in the Category column utilizing a key for each category. It seems that AutoFilter would be the ideal method for creating this db. Well, actually Advanced AutoFilter, since...

Dotnet Lead Engineers opening in Pune
Hi, We are Bangalore based leading HR consulting company retained by top IT companies like SAP Labs, TCS, i-Gate, AztecSoft, GE, Symphony Services, HCL to hunt talent. Excellent opening for Lead Engineers at AT CMM Level-5 & Largest IT Company for their Pune ODC. Mandatory Skills: 1) ASP.Net 2) C# 3) SQL Programming 4) Must have strong experience on ASP/VB script and good exposure to ASP.NET. 5) Should have min two years experience in Classic ASP/VB script and min one year experience on ASP.NET 6) Should be willing to work on classic ASP development 7) Good knowledge of MS Sql server, H...

Open document from previous version
How do I open a document from a previous version of Publisher..I have 2000? Are you certain it is an earlier version? Do you have Norton? Disable "script blocking" and try again. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jan" <jan0704@msn.com> wrote in message news:44cc01c4a49e$a8fcbbe0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do I open a document from a previous version of > Publisher..I have 2000? Jan wrote: > How do I open a document from a previous version of > Publisher..I have 2000? If it ...

Change opening postion /Form
From my Main Form I have a control that open a smaller form overtop of main Form, It always opens in the middle of my Main Form, can I reposition it to open higher on my Main Form, Thanks for any Help.....Bob On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:13:29 +1200, Bob V wrote: > From my Main Form I have a control that open a smaller form overtop of main > Form, It always opens in the middle of my Main Form, can I reposition it to > open higher on my Main Form, > Thanks for any Help.....Bob Look up the MoveSize method in VBA help. DoCmd.MoveSize 2 *1440, 3 * 1440 will position a form 2 inch...

Opening tab-delimited files in Excel... how to stop the autoformat of dates?
Hello, I'm doing bioinformatics work in which I often download tab-delimited files describing genomes and open them in Excel. Unfortunately, Excel decides that genes with names like APR1 and SEP7 are actually dates, and reformats them as such. This is a huge headache, as I often don't notice these problems until much later. Is there anyway to completely disable this date autoformatting? I've searched high and low and have yet to find a solution. Thanks! P.S. I'm using Excel 2002 -- salamander ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sa...

Debt Reduction Plan Still in Budget
I've read all the newsgroups and done everything possible, I think, to get my old debt reduction plan out of my budget. I have no plan right now, but I still have a budgeted amount in the budget. I've done a reset debt plan, I've started over with a new budget, I've done almost everything I can think of, beside deleting the mortgage account... I cannot edit the category in the budget, because it is under the special group and I don't get an edit feature. Please help... I'm doing everything I know of to get this debt reduction plan, which doesn't exist, out...

How can I forward an email as attachment in 2003
Hi Could anybody please tell me how to send emails as attachments in Outlook 2003? Thank you, Paul -- Paulobrien29 Make a new email and then use Insert Item to insert the email you want to send. Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook www.judygleeson.com www.deskdoctors.com Are you sick of bad email practice? Get a copy of my paper "Implementing Email Policy" from the Desk Doctors website. "Paulobrien29" <Paulobrien29.4b477ff@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:Paulobrien29.4b477ff@outlookbanter.com... > > Hi > > Could anybody please tell m...

Installed Exch2007 into existing 2003 site, cant send mail
I installed an Exchange 2007 server into our domain. This server is meant to be a test server. It created a different routing group for itself. It seemed to propogate all the correct settings for the connectors and our DMZ smart hosts, yet, on the test account I created, I cannot send email to either internal users on Exchange 2003 or to the Internet. -- "Technology also allows us to get very angry and abusive with people who can't punch us in the nose at that very minute." Scott Adams ...

Help with
I am currently in the process of migrating exchange 2000 to exchange 2003 on new hardware. I have transfered the RUS role, offline address book role and replicated the public folders ect. and now am beginning to move maiboxes. I noticed 3 very repetive errors in the application event log however. I was wondering if someone could tell me whether these messages are somthing I should be concerned with. See them below. So far I have no user complaints about outlook. Thanks. Event ID: 9320 Source MSExchangeSA Type Warning Description OALGen could not generate full details for some en...

Create a new instance of a class that is a reference
Hi all, I am trying to make a class that when you create a 2nd instance the second instance will be a reference to the first. Public Class ClassA Private Shared tableList As Hashtable Public myInt as integer = 0 Public Sub New() MyBase.New() InitializeValues() End Sub Private Function openTable() As Boolean If (tableList Is Nothing) Then tableList = New Hashtable() End If If (tableList.ContainsKey(TABLE)) Then SetReference(Me, tableList(TABLE)) OpenCount += 1 Else ...

Disabling Unicode Messaging
Apparently Exchange 2003 uses Unicode Messaging which previous versions of Exch did not. Now that we have migrated all of our users from Exch 2000 to 2003 their OST files will not work. We have no need for Unicode messaging so rather than rebuilding all of our User's Outlook Profile we would rather simply "disable" Unicode Messaging on the Exch Server. Does anyone have any idea how to do that? Can it be done once the server is in use and has 150+ mailboxes on it Thanks for any input Michael ...

Migration from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003
Hi all My Scenario Two Windows 2000 SP4 Servers with Exchange 2000. It`s an active/active cluster with two exchange instances. I must migrate just one instance to a new cluster with Windows 2003 Sp1 with Exchange 2003 I must keep the four servers ( two win2k exch 2000 clustered , and two win2k3 with exch2003 clustered) Anyone Could Help Me? Thanks a lot This might get you started: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Exchange2000-Exchange-2003-Hardware.html As a general rule MS do not recommend Active Active clusters for Exchange. You may want to reconsider keeping the exist...