Reporting from Project Server - MS Access Limits

I dont know if i need to ask this question here or in the Access section. I
have an ODBC connection to the Project Server database so I can make reports
through Access. Access' limit of 255 fields per table is causing me some
trouble. for example, the MSP_VIEW_PROJ_PROJECTS_ENT table has well over 255
fields. Access only shows me the first 255 fields. how can I change that so I
can see all the fields in that table?

thanks,

Hadi

Hadi,
I have not tried this yet it may be a viable option.  Have your DBA create a
view that pulls the key fields to this table and the specific fields you are
wanting to report on and make sure you don't exceed the 255 field limit.  If
you need all the data fields, then create multiple views with the key fields
so you can tie them together.

For example, create a view of key fields and all the project enterprise cost
fields.  Create another view of key fields and all the project enterprise
date fields.  Repeat for all the data that you want to view/report.  Link to
these views and query the data from them.

When using access and linking multiple tables, you may experience
performance issues so be careful so you don't impact your production server.

Good Luck,
Lizzie Beth

"Hadi" wrote:

> I dont know if i need to ask this question here or in the Access section. I
> have an ODBC connection to the Project Server database so I can make reports
> through Access. Access' limit of 255 fields per table is causing me some
> trouble. for example, the MSP_VIEW_PROJ_PROJECTS_ENT table has well over 255
> fields. Access only shows me the first 255 fields. how can I change that so I
> can see all the fields in that table?
>
> thanks,
>
> Hadi
Lizzie, thanks i'll give that a try

"Lizzie Beth" wrote:

> Hadi,
> I have not tried this yet it may be a viable option.  Have your DBA create a
> view that pulls the key fields to this table and the specific fields you are
> wanting to report on and make sure you don't exceed the 255 field limit.  If
> you need all the data fields, then create multiple views with the key fields
> so you can tie them together.
>
> For example, create a view of key fields and all the project enterprise cost
> fields.  Create another view of key fields and all the project enterprise
> date fields.  Repeat for all the data that you want to view/report.  Link to
> these views and query the data from them.
>
> When using access and linking multiple tables, you may experience
> performance issues so be careful so you don't impact your production server.
>
> Good Luck,
> Lizzie Beth
>
> "Hadi" wrote:
>
> > I dont know if i need to ask this question here or in the Access section. I
> > have an ODBC connection to the Project Server database so I can make reports
> > through Access. Access' limit of 255 fields per table is causing me some
> > trouble. for example, the MSP_VIEW_PROJ_PROJECTS_ENT table has well over 255
> > fields. Access only shows me the first 255 fields. how can I change that so I
> > can see all the fields in that table?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Hadi

merge limitations
Last year in merging cells from an Excel to a document, Publisher 2000 had a limitation of 256 characters (including blanks, punctuation and special characters) per cell. Is this still true for Publisher 2003? Sure is and probably will not change. -- I have been able to create a column of cells in Excel next to the one to be merged that will tell me the size (length) of the information in the cells so that I don't exceed the limitation. For the curious: =LEN(A1) Entered and drug it down the 1,200 entries and found two that would exceed the limitation. >-----Original Mes...

Use Form to prompt for report criteria

MS Office 2008 home version with Pro for entourage
Hello and thanks for any help you can provide. I have MS Office 2008 Home & Student edition. I want to install only word, excel and powerpoint and then separately install Entourage 2008 Pro (as provided by my hosted exchange co.) in order to connect to my exchange server. I have done this before and remember some convoluted errors but it eventually worked. My latest attempt did not. Has there been a change to prevent this from working? ...

Report.SalesPlusTax
I don't know if you guys have ever try to show the total tax sale on the z report, but when i make the modified on the z report it came out that the total tax is 0. It didn't show me anything, i don't know if the script is wrong or the script is not working for RMS V1.3?? Has anyone ever tried that?? <ROW> "Taxable Sales|" Report.SalesPlusTax </ROW> ...

crosstab qry as report source breaks Access2007
We have 3 reports whose record sources are crosstab queries. All have work fine on the pc's running Access2003. But, the one pc running Access2007 doesn't like the crosstab queries as the report source. We don't get an error - only the dreaded 'Access has encountered a problem and has closed...' It totally shuts down the access application. I stepped through the little bit of onOpen code while opening the reports and all works fine. I open the crosstab query and it opens just fine. To test the theory that it is a crosstab source problem, I tried to recreate one of the...

Purchase history and projected usage
Is anyone aware of an add-on or a way to figure projected usage for purchasing? I find the minimum quantity function usueful but many times I have to purchase for a few months and it would be helpful if the system could help estimate required quantity for a specific period. To be really useful and accurate RMS should be able to estimate product requirements for a period, is anyone else running into this? Funny you should write about this. I was just talking to my RMS partner about this the other day. He was going to see what he could come up with for this. I will let you know if i he...

Report CRM 3.0
Hi, I would need to find out the detailed procedure (step by step) to customize a report…. Could anybody inform about any links or documents concerning this issue? Thank's Marco I'm not sure if it's detailed enough, but the technical training manual has a section on creating and customizing reports. You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/using/whatsnewtechnical.mspx HTH, -- Jeffry van de Vuurst CWR Mobility www.cwrmobility.com -- "Marco Rocca" <Marco Rocca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEF80683-EC26-456C-82C...

Microsoft CRM server is not responding
Hi, Workflow Manager write: The specified Microsoft CRM server is not responding. This might happen if it is currently unavailable, it is not a Microsoft CRM server, or you are not a valid user. Fro more information, contact your system administrator. How fix it? In IE i can logon to CRM. ----- wbr, Eugene I've resolved this problem by restoring the metabase with the original version in IIS Regards Edgard Eugene wrote: > Hi, > > > Workflow Manager write: > > The specified Microsoft CRM server is not responding. This might happen if > it is currently un...

RDP incoming not working on Server 2003
I have a server running Server 2003 Standard which has been running just fine for some time but this week a new problem has arisen. I cannot establish an RDP session with it, no remote system on its subnet can even make an initial RDP connection at all. On the server itself, I can RDP out to any PC on the subnet with no problem. I've also looked all through the Event Logs and there are no errors at all that have anything to do with this or at the times I've tried to connect from a remote PC. I checked over and over to make sure Remote Connections are allowed in My ...

is there anyway to access funcion written in c by vc++
hi Is this is possible to access ,a function written in C by VC++. Arbind >Is this is possible to access ,a function written in C by VC++. Yes. I suspect you need to know about using extern "C" to tell the compiler that your function is 'C' rather than C++. For example: extern "C" int MyFn( int p1 ); You often use it like this: extern "C" { #include "Your_C_Header.g" } Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq >#include "Your_C_Header.g" or even #include "Your_C_Header.h" who put that g key in the wa...

Dropped connection to POP3 servers
Just installed Office 2003 under XP Home. Outlook is dropping connection to POP3 servers, I check 2 different servers with a S/R. Both fail at the same time, never separately. Sometimes I can exit Outlook gracefully but a reboot is required to get Outlook to work again. Sometimes locks entire system and have to powerdown manually. Pattern not fully determined but it appears to happen when there is other activity to the internet that is going to specific servers using an ID and password. I use Medved Quotetracker with E*Trade quotes (requires ID). If I bring up Quotetracker, Ou...

Accessing MIcrosoft Outlook
Yesterday, when I tried to access Outlook in my home pC, I received the following message: Cannot open MIcrosoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C:|Users \jillandgordon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this? Masny thanks, Gordon in TX Try this first http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497/ "Gordon McDougall" <braidwoodboy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d0e17ac8-0215-431c-971f-bd862b58a245@y17g2000yqd....

Pass Through to SQL Server Optimization Questions
On an autoexec function several recordsets are opened. Some are queries to local tables, some are to sql server tables. I have been trying to optimize performance but I haven't seen much difference in speed between queries run directly against linked SQL Server tables vs pass through queries. Here is my code for creating the pass throughs (I have another function OpenRecordSetLocal that handles queries to tables within the frontend. The ODBC connection string resides in the query Q_PassThrough. Am I missing something key? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks. Function OpenRecord...

I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why?
I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why? It keeps saying "incorrect function" khaganman <khaganman@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I do not have access to the D: drive from Publisher, why? It keeps > saying "incorrect function" Is the D: drive your CD drive? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Accessing my information offline
I have updated my Outlook to 2002 on my notebook computer and when it is connected on the Lan at my office(new ethernet connection) I can see my calendar, addressbook, e- mails etc. However, when I disconnect and bring my notebook home, and try to access calendar, etc, it says I must sychronize while I am still connected to the Lan. My previous version of outlook didn't have this problem. I synched it on the Lan and it worked. This one won't. Any ideas???? How do you have your folders marked for Offline use under tools->Send/Receive settings? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlo...

CRM 4.0 Custom Report Filter Problem

Removing Last 5.5 Server that has an IMC
I am following the steps in the article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883407/ before removing my last 5.5 server and moving the smtp services over to my 2003 server. The scenario that applies is single\last 5.5 server (it is a single AND last :) Step 3 - verify the smtp connector is seen in your exchange server 5.5 configuration - is the step that keeps failing. I have repeated step 2 now a couple of times and waited for about 3 hours now and the connection still does not show up. I also see no obvious (or any) errors in the event log on my 5.5 server. if I can successfully send a...

stock variance report
Hi there, Is there any way to edit that stock variance report at HQ? There are no $$ values and this is quite important at HQ. How do others work with this? IB Ivan, Create a custom report using the Quantity Discrepancy List as a template, add the SnapShotCost, SnapShotLastCost and/or SnapShotReplacementCost column from the ItemDynamic table times the qty difference. -- * "Ivan Brebner" <ibrebner@premiumretail.com.au> wrote in message news:%23Idw6wPAGHA.2912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... Hi there, Is there any way to edit that stock variance report at HQ? There are no ...

esm shows wrong exchange server version
I have an Exchange 2000 Installation with SP3 + Rollup package 870540-v2 + Hotfix MS05-021. Exchange System manager still shows Build 6249.4 SP3. Should ESM show a higher Build number ? Thanks for any replies. MC IIRC, ESM only shows SP4 on clustered servers that have the update applied to them. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "MC" <seaedsit@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OW%23lRuARFHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I have an Exchange 2000 Installation with SP3 + Rollup package 870540-v2 + ...

I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does not work. When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. How can I get it to work. Thanks. On Apr 4, 12:33=A0pm, Mint <chocolatemint77...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does > not work. > When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. > > How can I get it to work. > > Thanks. Is this Windows MCE SP2? What method did you use to add time update permission to your limited user account? Does your unlimited user accou...

How to set dependencies on project
Hello all, I have created a separate build on an existing project and copied settings from the existing project (Build->Configurations->Add). When I build the new project, it does not pickup any of the dependencies from sub-projects (ie I get link errors for all of them). Can someone tell me where to set these for the new project? The Project->Dependencies dialog list all dependencies for the project and are checked. Thanks mike wrote: > Hello all, > I have created a separate build on an existing project and copied settings > from the existing project (Build->Con...