PWA 2007 Data Analysis - S Curve

Experts,

I use the data analysis section of PWA 2007 often for resource usage / time
analysis. I love it and I think it's great. I always export to Excel when I
want to graph an S Curve for cost or work hours. Basically I export to Excel
and manually add a column or row to calculate the cumulative numbers so I can
graph it. Is there a better to do this? perhaps directly in PWA?

thanks,

Hadi

You could always do it in Project natively:
http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm/archive/2009/06/16/project-pro-leveraging-the-resource-graph.aspx

"Hadi" wrote:

> Experts,
>
> I use the data analysis section of PWA 2007 often for resource usage / time
> analysis. I love it and I think it's great. I always export to Excel when I
> want to graph an S Curve for cost or work hours. Basically I export to Excel
> and manually add a column or row to calculate the cumulative numbers so I can
> graph it. Is there a better to do this? perhaps directly in PWA?
>
> thanks,
>
> Hadi
Andrew, this is very helpful thank you! I still want to be able to do it in
PWA for several reasons. one simple example, analyzing resources over 1000+
projects can be challenging inside Project Professional. Is this possible in
PWA?

"Andrew Lavinsky" wrote:

> You could always do it in Project natively:
> http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm/archive/2009/06/16/project-pro-leveraging-the-resource-graph.aspx
>
> "Hadi" wrote:
>
> > Experts,
> >
> > I use the data analysis section of PWA 2007 often for resource usage / time
> > analysis. I love it and I think it's great. I always export to Excel when I
> > want to graph an S Curve for cost or work hours. Basically I export to Excel
> > and manually add a column or row to calculate the cumulative numbers so I can
> > graph it. Is there a better to do this? perhaps directly in PWA?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Hadi
You can get something like an S-Curve, i.e. a line graph of resource work
over time, but unfortunately you don't get cumulative calculations out of the
box without some finagling.  Here's an old blog from 2003 which looks like
it's close to what you're looking for:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5030578.html

Personally, I'd recommend doing it in Excel Services.  That's pretty much
the only option in the 2010 version.

"Hadi" wrote:

> Andrew, this is very helpful thank you! I still want to be able to do it in
> PWA for several reasons. one simple example, analyzing resources over 1000+
> projects can be challenging inside Project Professional. Is this possible in
> PWA?
>
> "Andrew Lavinsky" wrote:
>
> > You could always do it in Project natively:
> > http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm/archive/2009/06/16/project-pro-leveraging-the-resource-graph.aspx
> >
> > "Hadi" wrote:
> >
> > > Experts,
> > >
> > > I use the data analysis section of PWA 2007 often for resource usage / time
> > > analysis. I love it and I think it's great. I always export to Excel when I
> > > want to graph an S Curve for cost or work hours. Basically I export to Excel
> > > and manually add a column or row to calculate the cumulative numbers so I can
> > > graph it. Is there a better to do this? perhaps directly in PWA?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > Hadi
Andrew, thanks. this is exactly what I'm looking for. I am running into one
problem. when i use the formula for Cost To Date or Work to Date
Sum(PeriodsToDate([Time].[All]),Work, i get an error saying that The
PERIODSTODATE functions expects a level expression for the 1 argument. a
member expression was used. what does that mean?

"Andrew Lavinsky" wrote:

> You can get something like an S-Curve, i.e. a line graph of resource work
> over time, but unfortunately you don't get cumulative calculations out of the
> box without some finagling.  Here's an old blog from 2003 which looks like
> it's close to what you're looking for:
>
> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5030578.html
>
> Personally, I'd recommend doing it in Excel Services.  That's pretty much
> the only option in the 2010 version.
>
> "Hadi" wrote:
>
> > Andrew, this is very helpful thank you! I still want to be able to do it in
> > PWA for several reasons. one simple example, analyzing resources over 1000+
> > projects can be challenging inside Project Professional. Is this possible in
> > PWA?
> >
> > "Andrew Lavinsky" wrote:
> >
> > > You could always do it in Project natively:
> > > http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm/archive/2009/06/16/project-pro-leveraging-the-resource-graph.aspx

Hadi,
   Instead of "Sum" use "Aggregate". I tried and it worked for me. Don't ask
me why as I'm not an expert on BI. Maybe it's a difference between PS2003 and
PS2007. Here's the formula I found in another site.

Aggregate(PeriodsToDate([Time].[year]), [Measures].[Cost])

"Hadi" wrote:

> Andrew, thanks. this is exactly what I'm looking for. I am running into one
> problem. when i use the formula for Cost To Date or Work to Date
> Sum(PeriodsToDate([Time].[All]),Work, i get an error saying that The
> PERIODSTODATE functions expects a level expression for the 1 argument. a
> member expression was used. what does that mean?
>
> "Andrew Lavinsky" wrote:
>
> > You can get something like an S-Curve, i.e. a line graph of resource work
> > over time, but unfortunately you don't get cumulative calculations out of the
> > box without some finagling.  Here's an old blog from 2003 which looks like
> > it's close to what you're looking for:
> >
> > http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5030578.html
> >
> > Personally, I'd recommend doing it in Excel Services.  That's pretty much
> > the only option in the 2010 version.
> >
> > "Hadi" wrote:
> >
> > > Andrew, this is very helpful thank you! I still want to be able to do it in
> > > PWA for several reasons. one simple example, analyzing resources over 1000+
> > > projects can be challenging inside Project Professional. Is this possible in
> > > PWA?

IE8 very slow to open url's
IE8 very slow to open url's when browsing websites. Happens on all sites. IE8 takes about 6 seconds or more once I click. I don't have the problem when using other browers such as google chrome or firefox. I'm on comcast and using their Norton Suite. How can I speed things up. . Which version of the Windows operating system am I running? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/which-version-of-the-windows-operating-system-am-i-running . Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fi...

On Amazon.com, Outlook 2007 says "compatible with XP, Vista"..
I have Office Home & Student Edition and want to just buy Outlook online from somewhere like Amazon. It is listed as being compatible with XP and Vista but I recently upgraded to Windows 7. Will it work with Windows 7? Yes, it will work just fine on Win7. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@P...

Cannot Print a selection of ToDo's
I have a user who is having an issue when attempting to print a selection of his Todo list. The print dialog will appear but as soon as he clicks either print or print preview the dialog dissapears and no jobs are sent to the print que. He is able to print other documents to this printer and the issue occurs with all other printers installed (including a PDF printer). Computer is running Vista business 32 bit w/ Vista SP2. Office 2007 Small Business with Office SP2. ...

CreateDatabase / Access 2007
Hi all, Question: Can Access 2007 be forced to create an Access 2000 database when using CreateDatabase? I have a "utility" database that I distribute in version 2000 to users which is used to extract data from their main database (also version 2000) and which then creates and dumps this data into a new database ("Homedata.mdb"). This new database can then be zipped up, emailed, and uploaded into our central database. The basic procedure is: Data is extracted from the user's main database; placed in tables within the "utility" database; "H...

mail merge with word 2007 and a riso
I'm having problems trying to mail merge a word 2007 document with a riso. all goes well and I can preview all the documents and all looks good until I try to finish and print it on a riso, and nothing happens. It works on word 2003 but not the new version. can anyone help? Can you merge to a new document? If so, try using the following macro from fellow MVP Doug Robbins to split that document to the printer as separate jobs Sub SplitMergeLetterToPrinter() ' splitter Macro ' Macro created 16-08-98 by Doug Robbins to print each letter created by a ' mailmerge...

Stingray's MFC Objective Grid with Access 2K?
Has anyone had success using Stingray's Objective Grid v7.0 with the later versions of DAO. I've seen the suggestions to add an entry to my source to force MFC to use the later version. But, when I do this, I get a lot of crashes after compiling. I wonder if there are any mods that must also be made to the Stingray source? Thanks, Jack ...

Erase data, preserve formula's
I have a an excel file with 12 worksheets for the financial year and an additional worksheet for yearly totals. I need to get a blank copy of this and was wondering if anyone knew a way to delete all the user inputted data while keeping the formatting and formula's intact. Any help is much appreciated. -- urbanfox ------------------------------------------------------------------------ urbanfox's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22826 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=519004 Hi Hit F5 and select Special a...

DPM forces a Consistency Check on data
Hi all, I have a DPM 2007 SP1 server in one office ? and are trying to backup data in another office, connected by T1 (1.54Mbps) link. It works, but every time there is an issue ? DPM forces a Consistency Check on XGB( >100) of data, which takes 5-7 days to complete. can any tell abt this. thanks in advance gopal Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Useful ASP.NET Exception Engine http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/52012346-36db-4a47-ac61-8b9c9b4ce9a0/useful-aspnet-exception.aspx Hi Gopal, Can you please eloborate on "Ev...

Prevent Hidden Column data from being copied/pasted?
A student came up with a question that I haven't been able to figure out yet in a recent Excel class. They are hiding a column and protecting the worksheet in the correct manner. They want to allow some users to access and enter information in some cells. They do not want the users to be able to copy and paste the information from the hidden column. The question is how can this be prevented? For example, Column B is hidden. When they copy a range such as A1:C10 and paste it to another worksheet, they are getting the "hidden" data in Column B in B1:B10. Any suggestions wou...

Today's date on an Active X Calendar
Could anyone tell me how to set the properties so that the ActiveX calendar I have in the database, displays the current date when the program is openend. I thought this would have been easy, but obviously not! Thanks for any help. CEL504 wrote: > Could anyone tell me how to set the properties so that the ActiveX calendar I > have in the database, displays the current date when the program is openend. > > I thought this would have been easy, but obviously not! > > Thanks for any help. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/msg/1564d683ede98f8c Jame...

Outlook 2007
I have a new Dell computer that came with Vista Home Premium SP-1. I loaded Office 2007. All Microsoft updates have been maintained. Since day one, before shutting my system down, I usually close Outlook using the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the window. As a result, I get two error windows; "Outlook has stopped working - blah, blah blah" "Outlook is trying to recover your information" The next time I try to start Outlook, I get error balloon "Data file did not close properly blah, blah, blah" I do not get these errors if I shut down O...

Pivot table and organizing data
This one is really making me scratch my head. Here is the story. I have a list of information which I am pulling in via a query from SQL. Data is good and it correctly comes into Excel (03 or 07). I have five columns with data: Date, Time, AccountID , Status. First two are self-explanatory; third is a 3-letter ID, forth is a status (pass/fail). Ok, now that you have an idea, here is what I need: 1. List the account IDs as a column 2. List the dates as rows 3. Place the alert into the location that corresponds to the appropriate data and account I know this 'sounds' like a strai...

Copy data from one record to a new record on a sub form
I have a form showing patient details with a sub form displaying all associated referral details for the patient. One patient can have more than one referral and I would like to be able to copy data from some of the fields on the current referral when adding a new referral for the same patient. Is this possible? Thank you for your help I am fairly new to Access code and I am having some problem following your suggestion could you please simplify. Also some of the fields on the referral records are selected via a combo box will these fields still copy? "Klatuu" wrote: > ...

Adding additional rows for data entry
I have a spreadsheet with five columns that I enter data to. I then have a blank row at the bottom of these columns. Below the blank row I have several formulas pertaining to each row. How do I add more data to the columns and have the formulas adjust for these new rows without highlighting rows and using the insert rows command to make room (empty rows) where I can then add the additional data to the columns. Is there a formula that would always leave one empty row even when new data is entered in the columns? Thanks Put the formulas at the top of the columns. You can even use a Freeze ...

Why became my database file 5 times larger in Access 2007?
I have a database in Access 2000 file format witch I have developed for several years. The filesize is 4,9 MB. When I resently moved this file to my new notebook with Windows Vista and Access 2007, and filled it with with a certain amount if information (not that much, there was allredy some ground information written to it), I notized the file size had grown to 26,8 MB, more than 5 times larger. I have allso another copy of the same database on my notebook, witch I only have opened a couple of times and not written much to. This file has not grown at all. Anyone who knows what this is ...

How can I make data entry easier?
I am creating a catalogue of information resources and need to classify each according to the subject(s) it covers. I have created two tables, tblResources and tblSubjects, and a table that joins them. I can easily create a form for the resources with a subform to list the subjects with a drop-down box from which to pick. However, with a very long list of subjects, it's a bit unwieldy. I know that the people who will be undertaking the classification would love check boxes on a form they can tick. Is there a simple way of setting this up for them? Would I have to writ...

60 day trial on office 2007
i bought a new dell laptop that came will a 60 day trial of office 2007, when i try to sign up to use it , it wont give me a product code. Tells me there out of codes, try back later. This has been going on all week. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem, or have found a solution. thanks You must be joking! Microsoft cannot run out of codes. You need to contact DELL because your machine is still under a warranty and it is their duty to let you use the trial version! Otherwise what is the point of installing it in the first place? Perhaps for pleasure!! Incident...

Outlook 2007
A user in the office is no longer recieivng emails through Outlook 2007. She can send no problem and they were recieved through Outlook Express....Also when starting Outlook 2007 it shows a box preparing files and I disabaled the start up page but it was showing a script run time error yes or no. Hi Gib, You can post this question to the outlook newsgroup. I'm sure there will be somebody who can help you. Right now you're in the Dynamics CRM newsgroup. Kind regards, -- Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP Avanade Netherlands http://www.ronaldlemmen.com/ "Gib needs help" wrote:...

Error: no data exchange control with ID
I have a CView, and trying to create a dialog for user input. Unfortunately, I am getting the message & assert Error: no data exchange control with ID 110 Here is my code class CDlgGoto : public CDialog { // Construction public: CDlgGoto(CWnd* pParent = NULL); // standard constructor virtual ~CDlgGoto(); CString m_userGoto;// the number as input by the user //HWND m_DlgGoto; int m_iGoto;// goto line virtual int DoModal(); // Dialog Data //{{AFX_DATA(CDlgmsgqguiGoto) enum { IDD = IDD_DIALOG_GOTO };//110 // NOTE: the ClassWizard will add data members here //}}AFX_DATA // ...

Accessing Outlook data from database or programatically from ASP.NET
Hi all! I'm not sure whether I post this in the correct group but nevertheless, here is my problem: I would like to manipulate Outlook data (tasks, contacts, calendar, etc.) programatically from an ASP.NET apllication, more precisely I would like to be able to add and change contacts and enter events to calendar in the Outlook from a web application. Now, the logical way seemed to be to link from an MS Access database to objects within Outlook and then to access those tables from within my ASP.NET code. However, I've noticed something strange: for example, the linked table &qu...

Split single cell data into multiple colums
i have a huge data, converted from image to Excel. After converting the image to Excel all the data are stored in one cell( A1). But i want that to be split into different colums Example A1 September 15,2006 Name Email ID Father's Name Address City State Pincode Phone1 Phone2 Contact Time Area Code City Code State Code Amount Discount Total Occupation Emp no Remarks The above headers are the data in one single cell, but have too many spaces between each word. Help me get this resolved -- Thanks and...

Data Validation Greyed out #2
The spreadsheet is not protected -- jcm122 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jcm1229's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1484 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26479 Do you have more than one worksheet selected? (Look in the title bar for [Group]. If you see it, rightclick on any worksheet tab in the grouped sheets and select Ungroup Sheets. jcm1229 wrote: > > The spreadsheet is not protected. > > -- > jcm1229 > ------------------------------------------...

Schedule+ free/busy trouble after additional Exchange in another s
Hi, Let me tell you about the situation.Recently we added an additional site to our 2000 based Domain and installed an additional Exchange 2000 Server there.There s no problem with the mail exchange.Trouble is with the calendar info of the users.We noticed a while ago that the availibility info of users in the remote site when trying to schedule a meeting from the main site was absent.Today we had the same problem with our users in the main site.Some of the users availability info is missing and the number of problematic user accounts is rising.As the screenshot in http://img293.images...

Protecting user from changing previous data
Hi All, I have a block of data A1:D10 with Protection using ALLOW USER TO EDIT RANGE. The user enter data with the following order: Input 1: A1, B1, C1, D1 Input 2: A2, B2, C2, D2 Input 3: A3, B3, C3, D3 I would like to Automatically prevent the user from changing ROW A1-D1 when Inserting NEW ROWS (Row A2-D2, Row A3-D3). Thank you. This can be a very complex issue if you don't think things out really well ahead of time. What happens if, after they've typed data in A1:D1 and while entering more data in rows below row 1, they realize they made a mistake...

NDR's not being received, EVENT ID 1028 ist not fullfilled
The sender of an message does not receive the NDR. But the administrator is informed successfully. The Event ID shows successful EVENT ID=B4s in this order: 1025 Sender OK 1025 Administrator OK 1024 Sender OK 1024 Administrator OK 1033 Sender OK 1033 Administrator OK 1021 Sender OK 1021 Administrator OK 1036 Sender OK 1036 Administrator OK 1023 Sender OK 1023 Administrator OK 1028 Administrator OK The sender does not get an successful 1028 and does not receive the NDR. Any clues? Best regards, GS. I solved this issue. There were two accounts with the same email adress. Error Mes...