PS2007: Task actuals appearing out of nowhere

One of my resources recently ran into a very strange problem. One of her
tasks was filled in with actuals over a lengthy period (2+ weeks) with an
even spread of 0.025 hours per day, totaling to 7.5 hours (1 day of work).
She had entered some time towards that task previously, but the task still
had remaining work. The task still has remaining work too - just this one day
of work appeared from somewhere and got spread over the length of the task up
to the current date.

Neither the project manager or the resource can think of anything they've
done that could have resulted in this - has anyone seen behaviour like this
before? Any pointers to where to start the digging?

I will admit that this is not an up-to-date installation. SP2 has not been
applied.

Thank you,
- Jussi

Jussi:

Does your system have the latest patches? The April CU was released this
week. This sounds like the symptoms of a bug that was fixed in the December
CU. Patch your system if it's not up to date, including your Project
Clients.

--
Gary L. Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCTIP
Business: http://www.msprojectexperts.com

".jussi" <jussi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> One of my resources recently ran into a very strange problem. One of her
> tasks was filled in with actuals over a lengthy period (2+ weeks) with an
> even spread of 0.025 hours per day, totaling to 7.5 hours (1 day of work).
> She had entered some time towards that task previously, but the task still
> had remaining work. The task still has remaining work too - just this one
> day
> of work appeared from somewhere and got spread over the length of the task
> up
> to the current date.
>
> Neither the project manager or the resource can think of anything they've
> done that could have resulted in this - has anyone seen behaviour like
> this
> before? Any pointers to where to start the digging?
>
> I will admit that this is not an up-to-date installation. SP2 has not been
> applied.
>
> Thank you,
> - Jussi

0
Gary
4/29/2010 12:19:58 PM
Jussi:
I've struck this issue many times with customers' systems and has been a
feature of Project Server that is often overlooked.

This issue can occur if you allow project managers to enter % complete
values for tasks in their project plans.

e.g
If there is a task with a duration of 5 days (40 hours - 8hrs/day) that the
user may have entered actuals against and the project manager decides to
update the % Complete value to 25%, Project Server will distribute 10 hours
actual work (25% of 40) across the 5 days (2 hrs per day). This will
overwrite any actuals that the user may have entered via PWA when the plan is
published.

How do you stop it?
Your PMO needs to make a decision as to whether Actual Time is to be entered
purely by the task assignees or if the project managers can modify actuals as
well.
If you decide that all actual time should only be entered by the task
assignees then there is a setting in PWA to accomodate this.

It's at >Server Settings>Task Settings and Display>Protect User Updates>
There is a check box "Restrict updates to Project Web Access" which when
checked will only stop project managers from being able to update actual
hours.

It's really down to a process issue and user awareness of the system features.

Hope that helps

--
GarthP - MCITP

"Gary L. Chefetz" wrote:

> Jussi:
>
> Does your system have the latest patches? The April CU was released this
> week. This sounds like the symptoms of a bug that was fixed in the December
> CU. Patch your system if it's not up to date, including your Project
> Clients.
>
> --
> Gary L. Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCTIP
> Business: http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> FAQs: http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> BLOG: http://www.projectserverhelp.com
>
> ".jussi" <jussi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > One of my resources recently ran into a very strange problem. One of her
> > tasks was filled in with actuals over a lengthy period (2+ weeks) with an
> > even spread of 0.025 hours per day, totaling to 7.5 hours (1 day of work).
> > She had entered some time towards that task previously, but the task still
> > had remaining work. The task still has remaining work too - just this one
> > day
> > of work appeared from somewhere and got spread over the length of the task
> > up
> > to the current date.
> >
> > Neither the project manager or the resource can think of anything they've
> > done that could have resulted in this - has anyone seen behaviour like
> > this
> > before? Any pointers to where to start the digging?
> >
> > I will admit that this is not an up-to-date installation. SP2 has not been
> > applied.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > - Jussi

reoccuring tasks won't operate because of Outlook Connector
We installed Verizon DSL and MNS PRemium, in the process Outlook Connector was installed. Now we can not creat tasks which reoccur- weekly for instance. The error comes up: Outlook Connector does not support this reoccurence pattern. So far Micorsoft had be try safe mode- no hlep, It had me remove personal files and then replace them, no help. They told me to uninstall Outlook Connector- then Outlook itself will not load- at all. ...

How can I save Entourage 2008 TASK (To Do) List into MS Word or Excel?
When I had Outlook I was able to save my Task list into MS Word and/or Excel. I can't seem to do that with Entourage 2008. What do I need to be able to do so? ...

Why does actual work replace the planned in Microsoft Project 2007
Hi there; Is this a standard feature in Microsoft Project 2007 that when you capture time in PWA (and i am not referring to the timesheet module within Project Server 2007 that allows you to replace actuals with planned) (we are using the Timesheet module from Codeplex so don't have that feature in the timesheet module) your actuals actually overwrites the planned in MSP when the Project Manager approves the updates. Is there any way to avoid this happening...a setting...configuration change or something? We are trying to look at historical planned date without looking ...

'Accounts' option not appearing under 'Tools'
I am using Outlook Express 6.0 and the option to create 'accounts' to configure my internet mail to my ISP does not appear. This only happens on my laptop. Desktop has the option. Both are running Windows 98 SP2. Can anyone help? JiimB <jmb4664@prodigy.net> wrote: > I am using Outlook Express 6.0 and the option to > create 'accounts' to configure my internet mail to my ISP > does not appear. <snip> Can > anyone help? If you ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup, probably. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1...

Task Exchange Server reported error (0x80040119)
Anyone has a solution for this issue. Microsoft knowledge no help. Please provide more information on the error, what verion of Exchange, how this error is occuring etc. Nue "niko" <niko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0DB8F50-AC8D-41A8-806F-D43A4E8F5038@microsoft.com... > Anyone has a solution for this issue. Microsoft knowledge no help. Exchange 2003 Server SP1. Every time it runs send/receive. We get the emails, and we can send emails, but the error shows up. "Nuevo" wrote: > Please provide more information on the error, what ...

tasks keep repeating
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: pop Certain tasks in my todo list repeat multiple times. For example I may have a task called &quot;go shopping&quot; with a due date etc... The next day there will be 2 tasks called &quot;Go Shopping&quot;. Exactly the same information. If I mark one as completed or delete it eventually a second one will appear. if I do nothing, eventually a third one will appear. There doesn't seem to be a set pattern. It could repeat daily or every other day. it just doesn't make any sense. <br&...

Tasks in Calendar view
I am working in Outlook 2000 and was wondering is there a way to make it so that when I click on a specific day on the Calendar, it shows the tasks for that day? The tasks are set with Due Dates. Hi, This is the wrong venue for your question,but here goes: You can right-click in the Tasks area, select "TaskPad View", then be sure that only "Active Tasks for Selected Days' is checked. jeff >-----Original Message----- >I am working in Outlook 2000 and was wondering is there a way to make it so that when I click on a specific day on the Calendar, it shows the tasks f...

401k
NOTE: I'm on MS Money 2007 (purchased Plus but haven't installed yet). I have been unable to find a way to get my actual transactions provided by my 401k website (Vanguard) to download into MS Money. After hours of research and attempts, I found out that MS Money only takes the summary position information from the 401k account when "downloading transactions" and simply "Add Shares" to adjust your position to the current date (and does nothing with the cash account). See the FAQ item from Vanguard's website (bottom) confirming this issue. Microsoft adv...

Enhanced Task List
Is there a way to reorder tasks in Outlook 2003? I don't want to assign priorities to the tasks; I want to simply order the tasks in the list view. Is there a built-in way to do that or an add-in I can download? Thanks for any help you can give me, John You can use a number before the task heading. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, chuzz asked: | Is there a way to reorder tasks in Outlook 2003? I don't ...

Print jobs won't appear after entered
I have MS Money 2002, ver 10.0. I'm in "withdrawals" entering payroll checks to be printed. After keying them, they do not appear in the box above as usual (that shows my running balance and transactions). They will print, and Money will deduct from the balance, but the transactions do not appear unless I do a FIND TRANSACTION. What can I do to see them again? Any help is appreciated! Have you checked/played with the view settings? Given your description, it seems unlikely that you are entering transactions that are already marked as "reconciled" but in M02 it w...

Auto-hide task bar disabled.
I don't use the reading pane, so I double click on a message to open and read it, but when I do, it disables my auto-hide Task Bar. Anyone else see this? Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, WLM Beta that I just downloaded yesterday. Thanks -- �LarryE� Auto-Hide Task Bar ? Are you referring to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) or the = Ribbon(Minimize) -- ....winston MS-MVP[Mail] -- "=A9LarryE=BA" wrote in message = news:eqNZgoHFLHA.5500@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... I don't use the reading pane, so I double click on a message to open and read it, but ...

Not Receiving Accept Notifications from Task Requests in Outlook 2002
I have recently been experiencing problems with not receiving accept notifications after sending task requests to another Outlook 2002 user. After sending tasks requests and not receiving a reply, I contacted the task request recipient who said that they had received the task request and had been able to accept it. Unfortunately, I am not receiving a notification about whether my task requests are being accepted or rejected and have been unsuccessful thus far in finding an answer to my problem. I have already checked to ensure that the 'send status report' box is checked and am forc...

My Tasks
I am testing my company's "sandbox" installation of 2007 Project Server. All of a sudden, my "MY Tasks" is hanging up when I try to open them. I get nothing. I started yesterday. What should I have IT or the Administrator do to trouble shoot it? Hi David... try open your project in project professional... then insert column Publish...is they set no..change to Yes... save and publish and refresh your browser go to my task... hope this help u thanks reza "Redneck David" wrote: > I am testing my company's "sandbox&q...

Search actual Formula for cell ref?
Other than using Find from the Edit menu, is there any way of (using formula) searching another formula for a certain cell reference? Let's say I have a single column (B) of 100 similar formulas. I want to check that none of the formulas contain a reference to column H, so want a formula I can enter in the adjacent cell to flag if it does, i.e. = IF (columnB_formula_contains_a_ref_to_column_H, "Y","") I've been using Edit-Find to look for !H in the formulas but want to do it using functions as can see some useful applications of the technique (if it exist...

Hide pivot field button when printing charts or stop lables appearing behind it
Hi This should be simple but it's turning out to be a real pain :@( We have a pivot chart (pie) which has both data lables and values shown. The problem is that the pivot field always gets in the way of the lables etc. Everytime the report is run we have to manually move the data lables from behind the pivot field button before it can be printed. Does anyone know if there's a way to prevent the pivot field being printed or to force the chart not to drop lables behind pivot fields? Thanks very much Mark ...

Reminder not working in Calendar or Tasks
OS Windows XP Pro. Outlook 2002 (part of Office Suite) The reminder does not work on Calendar or tasks unless I have Outlook maximized. It will not work when Outlook is minimized. There is no problem with new mail notification, it works just fine. I have tried: Unchecking default in Tools/Options, applying the changes and then checking it back. I have tried Office Repair, and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. Thank you for your help. ...

automatic send email with task
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003A_01C43DEA.15027260 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_003B_01C43DEA.15027260" ------=_NextPart_001_003B_01C43DEA.15027260 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1255" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable i made a a custom task form that send an email at due the problem is that i dont know how to use the text input to the "to " = field and the "cc" field , in the script ( lines in red) other question: how i put controls for chosing ( brows...

Sub-Projects and Updating Project Progress (Task Updates)
Hi! We use Sub-Projects and Master Projects inside our company. There are two "Project Managers" that handle updating task progress (we do not use timesheets) and they have about 10 projects each. They currently have to open each project to Update Task Progress. Is there a way to do this from the Master Project that will allow them to only do this once instead of 10 times? I have noticed that through the PWA, under Approvals, Task Updates, it does show all of the projects, but we have not been able to successfully get approvals to work from PWA, we have to open...

"Update Values" Window appears after copying and pasting a cell?
When I copy and paste a cell that contains a formula with "VLOOKUP", a dialog window appears titled "update values". The cell in question has no outside references and only uses other cells within the current workbook within its formula. Does anyone know how to stop this window from popping up when I copy a cell like this? This is in Excel 2007. ...

Checking a TASK to complete
When checking a task to complete is there anyway that I can have it ask for a confirmation that the task is complete? Thank you. Richard No. Don't check it unless it's complete. Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook] Acorn Training and Consulting www.acorntraining.com.au Everyone - turn on your Advanced Toolbars and learn how to use the Field Chooser and Group by Box!! "Richard Edwards" <do.not.use@do.not.use.com> wrote in message news:%23pRdaYEPGHA.428@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > When checking a task to complete is there anyway that I can have it ask > for a con...

Bug in Outlook 2003
I found a bug in Outlook 2003. On pasting a url into the middle of a substantial task item containing about 1000 words it truncated on closing the item at the point where I inserted the URL. After re-opening the item all the text after the insert point was gone and replaced with the work 'HYPERLINK' I am glad I kept a backup f my .pst file! ...

SQLServer2005 database backup size through maitenance plan is smaller than actual database size?
As I understand SQL2005 maintenance plan backup has a compression future. But why is some dbs are close to the actual size and few others not? How to verify this is a good backup without going restoring process? Also is it bigger databases are backed up quicker going through maintenance plan than other means (sql agent, etc)? Please provide some reasoning behind this so that it makes sense to me. ...

Task Synchronization with Outlook client
I have just installed the outlook client and it is attempting to sync tasks. I have 80,000 completed tasks and don't want all of those synced with outlook. Is there a way to only sync scheduled tasks? In Outlook you can click on the CRM menu item and select "Local Data" then scroll down to the "My Recent Tasks" data group and select it and click the "Stop" icon to remove this from the data synch. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "AmyF" wrote: > I have just installed the outlook client and it is attempting to sync >...

I can't find start menu and task bar
I can't see my task bar and start menu on my computer screen? where is it hide ? This is the Microsoft Outlook group. Are you asking a specific Outlook question or is this related to your operating system? Did you accidentally hide your task bar? Does it appear if you put your mouse into the area where it normally is? Did you perhaps move it? Try the sides or even the top since the task bar can be dragged to different locations. If that doesn't help, post in the newsgroup for your operating system. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.n...

Global Customers payments not appearing in RMS HQ
Hello All.... We are having problems with payments of the Global Customers that are booked correcty in RMS Store Ops and never are taken out of the balance at RMS HQ, the payments receipts appear in the journals in the HQ, but the transactions are not booked on the customers accounts. We used already our incidents with Microsoft and they sent several scripts and pathes in the past that were supposed to solve this problem, and now I'm already having my doubts regarding this software, since this is going on since last year that we bought the software. Anyone familiar with this problem...