Problem when export in Excel

Dear all,

In « My Plannings/Gantt view » of the PWA, when trying to export the
planning data to Excel (Menu “Action” and “Export to Excel”), it fails and
displays “an error occurred while opening Microsoft Excel” with no other
possibility to save the exported file.
It happens only when Excel is already open.
This is a problem as users always have excel opened and need to close excel
and save their current files in order to make an export.
Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
Thanks

yann --

I cannot duplicate your problem, but then again, I'm not sure I am exporting
to Excel from the correct page in PWA.  There is no location in PWA called
My Plannings/Gantt view.  By chance, do you mean the My Tasks page and then
apply the My Tasks Gantt view?  If so, I could not duplicate your problem,
either with Excel open or closed.  In either case, I was able to export to
Excel.  Please confirm the EXACT page to which you are referring, using its
correct name, and we will try to help you.  Let us know.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"yann" <yann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> In « My Plannings/Gantt view » of the PWA, when trying to export the
> planning data to Excel (Menu “Action” and “Export to Excel”), it fails and
> displays “an error occurred while opening Microsoft Excel” with no other
> possibility to save the exported file.
> It happens only when Excel is already open.
> This is a problem as users always have excel opened and need to close
> excel
> and save their current files in order to make an export.
> Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
> Thanks

0
Dale
5/19/2010 12:27:42 PM
Do you get the same result when you right click on the grid view, and select
Export to Microsoft Excel in the drop down menu?

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> yann --
>
> I cannot duplicate your problem, but then again, I'm not sure I am exporting
> to Excel from the correct page in PWA.  There is no location in PWA called
> My Plannings/Gantt view.  By chance, do you mean the My Tasks page and then
> apply the My Tasks Gantt view?  If so, I could not duplicate your problem,
> either with Excel open or closed.  In either case, I was able to export to
> Excel.  Please confirm the EXACT page to which you are referring, using its
> correct name, and we will try to help you.  Let us know.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "yann" <yann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear all,
> >
> > In « My Plannings/Gantt view » of the PWA, when trying to export the
> > planning data to Excel (Menu “Action” and “Export to Excel”), it fails and
> > displays “an error occurred while opening Microsoft Excel” with no other
> > possibility to save the exported file.
> > It happens only when Excel is already open.
> > This is a problem as users always have excel opened and need to close
> > excel
> > and save their current files in order to make an export.
> > Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
> > Thanks

Hello Dale,

Sory to reply you late but i was on vacation.
Ok the exact location is on "My planning".
Then, you click on a project, then i go to Action --> Export to Excel.
If Excel is already opened, then It makes an error.

For information, I have Project Server 2007 SP1.

Thanks for your reply,

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> yann --
>
> I cannot duplicate your problem, but then again, I'm not sure I am exporting
> to Excel from the correct page in PWA.  There is no location in PWA called
> My Plannings/Gantt view.  By chance, do you mean the My Tasks page and then
> apply the My Tasks Gantt view?  If so, I could not duplicate your problem,
> either with Excel open or closed.  In either case, I was able to export to
> Excel.  Please confirm the EXACT page to which you are referring, using its
> correct name, and we will try to help you.  Let us know.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "yann" <yann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear all,
> >
> > In « My Plannings/Gantt view » of the PWA, when trying to export the
> > planning data to Excel (Menu “Action” and “Export to Excel”), it fails and
> > displays “an error occurred while opening Microsoft Excel” with no other
> > possibility to save the exported file.
> > It happens only when Excel is already open.
> > This is a problem as users always have excel opened and need to close
> > excel
> > and save their current files in order to make an export.
> > Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
> > Thanks

yann --

Well, there is no default location in PWA called My Planning, but I think
that is irrelevant at this point.  I think the source of your problem may be
that your system is two years behind on updates.  Your company should update
the Project Server 2007 system to Service Pack 2, along with the latest
Cumulative Update as well.  Though I cannot be sure, I would suspect this
would resolve the problem.  Hope this helps.

--

> Hello Dale,
>
> Sory to reply you late but i was on vacation.
> Ok the exact location is on "My planning".
> Then, you click on a project, then i go to Action --> Export to Excel.
> If Excel is already opened, then It makes an error.
>
> For information, I have Project Server 2007 SP1.
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>

> "Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> yann --
>>
>> I cannot duplicate your problem, but then again, I'm not sure I am
>> exporting
>> to Excel from the correct page in PWA.  There is no location in PWA
>> called
>> My Plannings/Gantt view.  By chance, do you mean the My Tasks page and
>> then
>> apply the My Tasks Gantt view?  If so, I could not duplicate your
>> problem,
>> either with Excel open or closed.  In either case, I was able to export
>> Excel.  Please confirm the EXACT page to which you are referring, using
>> its
>> correct name, and we will try to help you.  Let us know.
>>
>> --
>> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
>> VP of Educational Services
>> msProjectExperts
>> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
>> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
>> "We write the books on Project Server"
>>

>> "yann" <yann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > In « My Plannings/Gantt view » of the PWA, when trying to export the
>> > planning data to Excel (Menu “Action” and “Export to Excel”), it fails
>> > and
>> > displays “an error occurred while opening Microsoft Excel” with no
>> > other
>> > possibility to save the exported file.
>> > It happens only when Excel is already open.
>> > This is a problem as users always have excel opened and need to close
>> > excel
>> > and save their current files in order to make an export.
>> > Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
>> > Thanks

0
Dale

In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/april/04) data converts.
In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/April/2004) excel converts this to 4/10/04 (4/October/2004) Where can I change the input characteristics. I have changed the date format to English (UK) and this works when I input the date in the American format mm/dd/yy but I want to input in the dd/mm/yy format I think I'd try chaning my windows regional settings. In win98, I'd get to it via: Windows start button|Settings|control Panel|regional settings applet Date Tab Change the short date format to dd/mm/yyyy (I like 4 digit dates--you don't have to use that part--but put it in d...

Excel Lookup formulas
Hi, I have two questions: 1. I notice (occassionally) when I am using Vlookup/Hlookup to import data to another worksheet that the rules to not immediatley reflect the correct data. However, if I click on each data cell, and validate the formula (by clicking on the 'tick') it immediatley returns the correct data. Is there anyway of doing a bulk refresh that will somehow re-activate the rules that appear to have become dormant? 2. Is there a formula that will find the largest numeric data entry in a row, column, array? Thankyou, Don- Re part 2 of your question =max(place range...

Mail Merge Excel Data with Publisher for 4 up postcards
Hi, I have been browsing and searching for help on this issue to no avail. What I am trying to do is mail merge a 2 sided 4 up postcard with my Excel 2003 data. On the front of Publisher 2003I have the Address Block which is no problem, however when I try to import the matching customer data to the back of the postcard it does not match up at all with the front. I have also 2 publisher files setup, 1 for the front of the postcard and 1 for the back. I know the Excel data has to be in this format for the mail merge to work correctly using this formula posted by Doug Robbins: =IF(MOD(A2,2)=1,A2...

Excel Templates #3
is anyone aware of a decent payroll timecard/timesheet template in Excel? Thanks. Have a look at the templates found here. http://office.microsoft.com/templates/category.aspx?CategoryID=CT063469961033&CTT=4&Origin=CT061993501033 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:26:49 -0700, "egcam@sbcglobal.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is anyone aware of a decent payroll timecard/timesheet >template in Excel? Thanks. ...

Validation Confusion-Excel 2003
On a timesheet I need to ensure that when I enter in the times of a the DAY shift that it is on or after 6:00 am. The finish time is not important as the start time dictates the shift. For example, someone may start at 7:30 and work thro to 3:30 (or 15:50), this equals a day shift. I may have someone else who starts at 6:00 am and finishes at 10:00 am, this also equals a day shift. I also need an AFTERNOON shift that starts at 12:00 (Noon). I believe if I have the answer to the day, this will come easy to me (that is if the Noon time doesn't become a hinderance??) I also need ...

How do I create a database from an Excel form?
Hello Everybody - I need to see if Excel can be used to create a mailing list database from an Excel form. If so...how do I go about doing this? The list will need to include the name of the company, contact person, and address. Thanks in advance for all of your help! It is greatly appreciated! Here are a couple of links: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave Rado. FIRESIGN98 wrote: > > Hello Everybody - > > I need to see if Excel can be used...

Problem with Excel add-in and .NET
I have developed an Excel add-in for a customer. The add-in enables users to retrieve data from a database by using WorkSheet functions defined in the xla file. The xla file has references to a .NET component (.dll). To be be able to use the component from Excel I have used regasm.exe to create a type library (tlb file) The User writes in a cell =Quote('31/12/2009';'MSFT') and Microsofts stock quote shows up. These functions are heavily used in a excel workbook. Since the spreadsheet is big and there's a lot of data to retrieve, it takes about 20 seconds to op...

IS there a way to compare 2 excel files
I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is there such a thing? Hi Now imagine how totally different two excel files can possibly be. The report would say ... ? But if you have two pretty similar sheets, try Myrna Larson and Bill Manville's "Compare", downloadable from http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm HTH. Best wishes Harald "PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> skrev i melding news:%23BAzyBkOFHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is > there such a ...

excel Xp (ofc XP)
.. I need to install an legacy application that will not install properly when ofc2k3 is the current application. Furthermore, the app wants small business tools for office 2k installed I can't uninstall ofc 2k3 because there are too many settings and applications depending on that possibly a naive questions: is it possible to make the ofc 2k3 look like ofcXp in terms of word and excel? is it possible to install small business tool from ofc 2k pro without destroying ofc2k3? Note that if office Xp or office 2k is the current office application, the legacy application will ins...

Corupt excel file ???
I have a excel file that seems to want to open, but then when it is done opening, There is no data or blank sheet. It goes though the possess and say's at the bottom ready opening but then there is nothing and the screen look's like I just opened Excel but no spread sheet. I then can go to file open another sheet and it works. (Not the one I wont) any body help. of coarse we don�t have a backup??? Email: bhogan@emediaofli.com --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ First, check to see if the file is actually loaded. Click on Window and see if it appears at the bottom o...

Can Excel generate a 3-D scatter plot?
I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? Hi Andy Pope has 'tricked' one: http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm But you probably go for MathCad :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "zzzfizz" <zzzfizz@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BA2BEAB6-63E1-46E7-816F-B282C590C3D9@microsoft.com... > I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go > buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? ...

Problems after kb890830 and kb978542 updates
After windows Vista installed kb890830 and kb978542 I noticed 4 problems so far. 1. MSN Service not available, error code: 800706b5. (This happened with previous updates and I fixed the issue by doing a system restore to a previous date.) 2.When I started internet explorer (ver 8.0.6001.18904) I got a message my default search engine was corrupted by another program. 3.I tried the usual system restore and found there were no restore points available 4. I had some unknown problem trying to log into this site. It kept giving a site not available message. I am running windows vis...

Excel 2003 giving annoying "Send/Don't Send" error when closing
I am accessing an instance of Excel 2003 through a Codegear C++ program I'm writing. The code looks something like this (not that it really matters all that much): TExcelApplication* ea = new TExcelApplication(this); ea->Connect(); ExcelWorkbookPtr ewbPtr = ea->get_ActiveWorkbook(); // do stuff... ewbPtr.Release(); delete ea; ea = 0; I can connect to Excel and write to it just fine. However, when I try to disconnect from it and close/delete the Excel application instance, I get an annoying Excel error message that says, "Excel has encountered a problem and...

Import Excel Data from another workbook or file
Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different workbooks? E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files into one. tamato43 wrote: || Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different || workbooks? || || E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" || 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. || || What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files || in...

Bug in Excel handling exponents
If I type -10^6 in a cell, the resulting number is 1,000,000. However, shouldn't the exponent take precedence over the sign? Specifically, shouldn't the result be -1,000,000? Search for "Precedence" in excel's Help. (I used xl2003.) And you'll find out how excel treats arithmetic operators. It's not what you learned in school. But those are excel's rules. So you have to play by them if you stay in excel. Personally, I'll add ()'s to make sure the expression evaluates like I want. Schizoid Man wrote: > > If I type -10^6 in a cell, t...

Date Problems
Dear Microsoft: Since we all know that the cost of a 1st class stamp is going to go up, I thought I would plot the cost over time. http://www.nonprofitmailers.org/tools/ratehist.htm 1. I formatted a column as DATE, but the 3 dates prior to 1900 that I entered as x-x-xxxx were not recognized by Excel as dates. (??!!???!). When I reentered them as x/x/xxxx Excel recogized July 1, 1885, but not the other 2. (Huh?) 2. So then I charted the dates and the costs as a line chart, the costs are displayed ok. The dates are displayed on the x-axis, but the dates are equidistant. That's...

big problem *(no save ...
.... i don't know where else to tern. my vista wun't save files when i delete a file then restart it cums bck. been a it ovah 2 months.hlp pls. -- sid .... i don't fuckin' care -- sid ...

Excel and Calendar Control 8.0
Enter an Excel worksheet. Click Insert, select Object and then, Calendar Control 8.0. Now, the Calendar is shown on the worksheet. And then, the worksheet operations is finished with the Calendar. Please say, how to remove the Calendar from the worksheet. Regards. ...

How do I link multiple excel documents?
I need to link three Excel Documents into a master document that will reflect the data inputted into the others. as of right now they are all one document but that allows only one person at a time to enter the data, we need to have multiple people entering the data. Let's try for the easy solution first... Are people entering data on different worksheets, which are then captured on a 'master' sheet via equations? If so, open the file (make a backup copy first!), click on one of the input sheet tabs and select Move or Copy, then move the sheet into a New Workbook. Save th...

Problems with Excel and User Capabilities
When I try to set up user accounts with access to only certain programs I run into a problem. We have installed MS Office v.X and I allow the applications Word, Powerpoint, and Excel to run. Word and Powerpoint run fine, but I get an error when starting Excel. When I start Excel up a window pops up saying "A unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Mircosoft Framework X library." I can hit OK and it returns to the program where everything seems to function normally. Has anyone else encountered this or have any advice? In article <#YTu5dWcDHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP10....

Problem terminating plink under Windows
Hello, I am using plink to establish an SSH session with a host. I have developed some Windows code to manage the plink session. I am using CreateProcess to start plink and various read/write commands to communicate with plink. I've tried to terminate plink with the commands to send a Control C or Control Break to a session. That hasn't worked. I've found an obscure note on another program that states the problem may be that the progam (plink) does not have a console. At the moment I've resorted to calling TerminateProcess to end plink. The documentation states Termin...

CRM 3.0 Install Problems
We're trying to upgrade a dev instance of CRM 1.2 to 3.0. It gets partway through the installation before it fails, giving this error message: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. Execution of a full-text operation failed. The parameter is incorrect. Looking at the log, it looks like this is where it fails: 15:00:38| Info| Disable full-text indexing 15:00:44| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Execution of a full-text operation failed....

Outlook 2002 shutdown problems
I am running Microsoft Outlook 2002 with sp2 and I noticed that at times as many as 10 copies of Outlook are running simultaneously. To show this I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and look under the Processes tab in the Task Manager. I also have trouble receiving email from my ISP. It resonds many times with the server disconnected. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Export to a Word Template
Is there any way to create a command button to take data from certain fields and insert it into a template we have made in Word? Right now we are just copying and pasting the data into the appropriate place in the Word Doc. Or is there another way to do this entirely? Basically, I want to be able to automatically create a work order using certain fields and have a file ready to send as an email with all of our template information included. Here's one example I use that works well: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html Scroll down to 'Super Easy Word Merg...

New entity
when i attach a contact to an account i have an option - to choose an account from the list, or to create a new one. but i dont have this option when i work with two custom entities (1 to many relationships). only to choose from existing when i want a assign a primary entity to a secondary one. is there a workarround? this way makes me press much more buttons in different forms. i have secondary objects already created due to my business proccess, so i need to go to the primary entity, create an object, then to go back, to open a secondary one and to attach the primary one to it. thanks ...