MSPS 2007 Ent Text Fields vs. Outline Codes

In 2003, there was a big difference between using Ent Text Fields vs Ent
Outline Codes. Outline codes allowd a Hierarchy setup of the values, acted as
the dimensions to the OLAP cube, and allowed us to group by in when i hit the
Open button in MS Project. Now, in 2007, is there a difference between the
two. it seems like Ent Text Fields are as Powerfull as Outline Codes. is
there any difference between the two?

thanks,

Hadi

There is no concept of enterprise outline codes in PS2007.  All the
functionality exists in Enterprise Custom Fields.

Jonathan

"Hadi" <Hadi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In 2003, there was a big difference between using Ent Text Fields vs Ent
> Outline Codes. Outline codes allowd a Hierarchy setup of the values, acted
> as
> the dimensions to the OLAP cube, and allowed us to group by in when i hit
> the
> Open button in MS Project. Now, in 2007, is there a difference between the
> two. it seems like Ent Text Fields are as Powerfull as Outline Codes. is
> there any difference between the two?
>
> thanks,
>
> Hadi

0
Jonathan
1/28/2010 7:51:32 PM
Hadi --

In Project Server 2007, an enterprise custom field attached to an enterprise
custom Lookup Table is what replaces the enterprise Outline Codes from
Project Server 2003.  In Project Server 2007, only enterprise custom fields
attached to a Lookup Table are available as Dimensions in the OLAP cube.
You cannot use enterprise custom Text fields only in the OLAP cubes.  Hope
this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services

"Hadi" <Hadi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In 2003, there was a big difference between using Ent Text Fields vs Ent
> Outline Codes. Outline codes allowd a Hierarchy setup of the values, acted
> as
> the dimensions to the OLAP cube, and allowed us to group by in when i hit
> the
> Open button in MS Project. Now, in 2007, is there a difference between the
> two. it seems like Ent Text Fields are as Powerfull as Outline Codes. is
> there any difference between the two?
>
> thanks,
>
> Hadi

0
Dale
1/28/2010 8:17:10 PM
OK that helps alot. One more question, If I'm migrating an Ent Text Fields
with a Value List, would that show up in 2007 as a Lookup Table? or If i have
an Ent Text Field with no lookup tables, can I create a look table in 2007
with the current values and migrate that Text Field?

Thanks

Hadi

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> Hadi --
>
> In Project Server 2007, an enterprise custom field attached to an enterprise
> custom Lookup Table is what replaces the enterprise Outline Codes from
> Project Server 2003.  In Project Server 2007, only enterprise custom fields
> attached to a Lookup Table are available as Dimensions in the OLAP cube.
> You cannot use enterprise custom Text fields only in the OLAP cubes.  Hope
> this helps.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "Hadi" <Hadi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In 2003, there was a big difference between using Ent Text Fields vs Ent
> > Outline Codes. Outline codes allowd a Hierarchy setup of the values, acted
> > as
> > the dimensions to the OLAP cube, and allowed us to group by in when i hit
> > the
> > Open button in MS Project. Now, in 2007, is there a difference between the
> > two. it seems like Ent Text Fields are as Powerfull as Outline Codes. is
> > there any difference between the two?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Hadi

Hadi --

No, I do not believe that migrating a Text field with a Value List would
show up in 2007 as a Field with a Lookup Table.  How are you trying to do
this migration anyway?  I don't understand what you are trying to do.
Please explain further.

--

> OK that helps alot. One more question, If I'm migrating an Ent Text Fields
> with a Value List, would that show up in 2007 as a Lookup Table? or If i
> have
> an Ent Text Field with no lookup tables, can I create a look table in 2007
> with the current values and migrate that Text Field?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hadi
>
> "Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hadi --
>>
>> In Project Server 2007, an enterprise custom field attached to an
>> enterprise
>> custom Lookup Table is what replaces the enterprise Outline Codes from
>> Project Server 2003.  In Project Server 2007, only enterprise custom
>> fields
>> attached to a Lookup Table are available as Dimensions in the OLAP cube.
>> You cannot use enterprise custom Text fields only in the OLAP cubes.
>> Hope
>> this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
>> VP of Educational Services
>> msProjectExperts
>> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
>> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
>> "We write the books on Project Server"
>>

>> "Hadi" <Hadi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In 2003, there was a big difference between using Ent Text Fields vs
>> > Ent
>> > Outline Codes. Outline codes allowd a Hierarchy setup of the values,
>> > acted
>> > as
>> > the dimensions to the OLAP cube, and allowed us to group by in when i
>> > hit
>> > the
>> > Open button in MS Project. Now, in 2007, is there a difference between
>> > the
>> > two. it seems like Ent Text Fields are as Powerfull as Outline Codes.
>> > is
>> > there any difference between the two?
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> >
>> > Hadi

0
Dale
1/28/2010 10:46:15 PM
We are throwing some ideas around how to migrate from 2003 into 2007. We're
setting up a bench test and exploring ideas around best way to use Migration
Utility

thank you

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> Hadi --
>
> No, I do not believe that migrating a Text field with a Value List would
> show up in 2007 as a Field with a Lookup Table.  How are you trying to do
> this migration anyway?  I don't understand what you are trying to do.
> Please explain further.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "Hadi" <Hadi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK that helps alot. One more question, If I'm migrating an Ent Text Fields
> > with a Value List, would that show up in 2007 as a Lookup Table? or If i
> > have
> > an Ent Text Field with no lookup tables, can I create a look table in 2007
> > with the current values and migrate that Text Field?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Hadi
> >
> > "Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hadi --
> >>
> >> In Project Server 2007, an enterprise custom field attached to an
> >> enterprise
> >> custom Lookup Table is what replaces the enterprise Outline Codes from
> >> Project Server 2003.  In Project Server 2007, only enterprise custom
> >> fields
> >> attached to a Lookup Table are available as Dimensions in the OLAP cube.
> >> You cannot use enterprise custom Text fields only in the OLAP cubes.
> >> Hope
> >> this helps.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> >> VP of Educational Services
> >> msProjectExperts
> >> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> >> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> >> "We write the books on Project Server"
> >>

> >> "Hadi" <Hadi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It's been a couple of months since my last migration, but I am pretty sure
that migrating an enterprise outline text field from 2003 will result in a
text field and a lookup table with the same name in 2007.

Indeed it does.

--
Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP
msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com

"Andrew Lavinsky" <AndrewLavinsky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:48D471C7-3215-4E67-84C2-3684B2488641@microsoft.com...
> It's been a couple of months since my last migration, but I am pretty sure
> that migrating an enterprise outline text field from 2003 will result in a
> text field and a lookup table with the same name in 2007.
>
> "Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hadi --
>>
>> No, I do not believe that migrating a Text field with a Value List would
>> show up in 2007 as a Field with a Lookup Table.  How are you trying to do
>> this migration anyway?  I don't understand what you are trying to do.
>> Please explain further.
>>
>> --
>> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
>> VP of Educational Services
>> msProjectExperts
>> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
>> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
>> "We write the books on Project Server"
>>

>> "Hadi" <Hadi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > OK that helps alot. One more question, If I'm migrating an Ent Text
>> > Fields
>> > with a Value List, would that show up in 2007 as a Lookup Table? or If
>> > have
>> > an Ent Text Field with no lookup tables, can I create a look table in
>> > 2007
>> > with the current values and migrate that Text Field?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Hadi

0
Gary

Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version?
I have been looking for Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version and I cannot find it. Where can I get one? There isn't one. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/422.aspx -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "masai" <masai_chadi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:op.tm81u5pvdvcnul@dikutoto.gv.shawcable.net... >I have been looking for Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version and I >ca...

Office 2007 trial is very slow. Is this because it's a trial
I just started using the trial version of Office 2007. It takes forever for it to open on my computer but Office 2003 opens just fine. Is this just because it's a trial or is it naturally slow because of the additional features? It's likely due to the expanded feature set and increased hardware requirement over Office 2003. rtappan wrote: > I just started using the trial version of Office 2007. It takes forever for > it to open on my computer but Office 2003 opens just fine. Is this just > because it's a trial or is it naturally slow because of the ad...

Can't edit print styles in Outlook 2007

Office 2007 SP2
Has anyone else lost the little check box which is usually found next to each task in the task list in Outlook today? I'm assuming it's a bug? C. "Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <seegod1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:ejYOAzcyJHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Has anyone else lost the little check box which is usually found next to > each task in the task list in Outlook today? I'm assuming it's a bug? > Nope - still there... -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, Service Pack level...

Multiple Bar Codes Per Item
I'm looking to use Microsoft RMS for a medium sized game store with one terminal. One critical feature is the ability to have multiple bar codes assigned to the same item. Can RMS do this? Gary Gary, If you are talking about multiple part numbers, yes, use the alias function. Remember what a barcode is. Its a graphical representation of a partnumber that is machine readable. It doesn't describe the item, it is only a number to reference that item. Just like your phone number, it means nothing, but everytime someone dials that number, it gets to you. -- * "gareman" ...

Error Code 80070424 12-21-09
I keep getting this Windows update error every time I boot my PC. In the window, it says Windows can't check for updates. Does anyone have any ideas? Recently I installed BitTorrent so could that be my problem? "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D2E5CF0C-D31B-4034-B4A8-A8204763A623@microsoft.com... > I keep getting this Windows update error every time I boot my PC. In the > window, it says Windows can't check for updates. Does anyone have any > ideas? > > Recently I installed BitTorrent so could that be my proble...

VS 2005 beta question
All, I need to complie some code. I am going from 16bit to 64 bit. The job do not want to spend the money on VS 2005.net. If I compile the code with the beta version or trial version of VS 2005.NET will it time bomb on me? Thanks in advance The code won't, but eventually the compiler will stop working. Don't know if the trial will support 64 bit though. I guess you get what you pay for. Tom "karibbean" <sharp_mind@REMOVE.this.email.msn.dotcom> wrote in message news:%23OyZFNUFGHA.1124@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > All, > > I need to complie some cod...

vba code to enable macros
Hi, Can we write a vba code to enable macros. In most of the sites it says we cant do that . The only thing we can do is change the macro setting or work around is hide the sheet which has macros. But none of them will work in my case. Can we change an excel security setting to from macro on open so that macros are enabled. No. If we can do that with code, then so could a hacker with bad intentions. Mike F "varsha12" <varsha12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBEB1614-C956-491B-B351-02DD9F711891@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Can we w...

Outlook xp Offline folders vs O2k3 Cached Exchange mode
I recently upgraded a group of executives from Outlook XP to Outlook 2003. I used the "upgrade" option. I also installed O2K3 SP1. They all have laptops and use offline folders. Several have had various offline folder issues since the upgrade. Is there something I need to configure in order for them to continue to use their offline folders? or Does Cached Exchange mode replace Offline folders? Are there known issues with the upgrade and offline folders? I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks in advance for your time! techguyasap <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Outlook 2007: is there a way to use it as a Diary
I'd like to keep a daily journal of important notes, etc. In other words , I would like to keep a Diary. Does Outlook 2007 have this capability? TIA Sure - Ctrl+8 to view the journal or you can create a Mail and Post folder type and post to it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH...

Upgrade Path from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010
Is there going to be an upgrade path from DPM 2007 to 2010? Yes. Look at the following DPM 2010 documentation: https://connect.microsoft.com/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?SiteID=840&DownloadID=22070 "DPM supports upgrading from DPM 2007 SP1 on a Windows Server 2008 x64-bit operating system to DPM 2010. If DPM 2007 SP1 is installed on a Windows Server 2003 x64-bit operating system, you must upgrade to Windows Server 2008 before upgrading to DPM 2010". Also, here are my notes on DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 upgrade: http://santhoshsivarajan.blogspot.com/2009/09/dpm-2007-t...

Errors found Code 80070490
This appears to be one of those problems that no one seems to have a working solution. Reinstalling an operating system is not a solution it’s a reason to change operating systems. This type of problem was not supposed to happen with Vista. Let’s see some big guns on this one! Update Error: Some Updates not installed: 2 Failed updates (KB967723, KB972145) Errors found Code 80070490 (Unknown Error) Problem signature: Problem Event Name: WindowsUpdateFailure ClientVersion: 7.4.7600.226 Win32HResult: 80070490 UpdateId: AE2C61ED-AC12-4369-BED6-4375CD79CA...

Unread mail not showing up in Inbox
Hi, My Unread folder in located the "Favorite Folders" section in Outlook shows that I have more unread mail than I can see in my Inbox. My Inbox is normally sorted by "Received" so I can see the most recent emails as then arrive. If I change it so that it is sorted by the "From" column, I can see all the emails in the Inbox that are appearing in the Unread folder. It is strange that they don't appear using "Received" though. Emails that fall under any rules are not affected by this so rules are irrelevant in this case I suppose. Also, some additio...

Error in Code
Following is some VBS code I have in my Custom Form developed in Outlook 2003. Line 61 is giving me an error stating: Object doesn't support this property or method: 'Item.GetInspector.ModifiedFormPages' Line No: 61 If you look Line 51 is the same method and it works fine. The funny thing is when I run the code, I get the error, I continue on to the Form, and the code after it works. The code that follows line 61 is dependent on line 61 as evident by if I ' comment it out, I get a separate error asking for objPage2. The code also works if I change the value of one of...

sent and received fields
I've just switched from Outlook Express to Outlook 2000. In one of my folders, I have sent and received emails that I want to sort together based on the sent or received date, but all my sent emails sort together because the received field has no value. And the same for the received emails. Is there a way to combine these fields or tell Outlook to sort based on both of them? Do I need to write a VBA macro to accomplish this? Thanks, Michael ...

Exchange 2007 Mailbox Folder information not updating
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I am using Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition in an Exchange 2007 SP1 UR4 environment. I have only been using the Web Services Edition for about a week and prior to that I was using the regular Entourage 2008 client for four months. In any case, the problem I am about to describe occurs in both versions of Entourage 2008. <br><br>Recently my employer's executive group decided to implement Managed Folder Policies to assist in controlling mailbox size. I was the first to...

Option for fields to show up in datasheet view
Hello, Since most people are more familiar with excel then access, my users prefer to see it in datasheet view. However, since it could be too long, anyone can help me how to make an option to show up only field that we can chose in the form. I remember there is a sample of database that has that one, but I do not know where is it now. Please help. Thanks in advance, Frank -- Frank Situmorang Simplest solution might be to set the Visible property of the controls on the form, based on the fields the user wants to see. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, West...

Provide space in text
Where text and numbers are at different locations in different cells what formula could be used to suit this type of information. I want to be able to put a space between the main body of text on the left and give a space between the text and the start of any numbers are in the cell. Example 1: A1 = Abelia Edward Goucher2 litre Should be: Abelia Edward Goucher 2 litre Example 2: A2 = Acer campestre Nanum180stem 6-8 Should be: Acer campestre Nanum 180stem 6-8 Thankyou if can be of help. Pat If you double clcik in the cell with the data then you can move th blink line to were you wan...