Insert a column in GANTT view to have link to Workspace

Personally, I am not a fan of the Project Workspace list taking up so much
space and cluttering up the default homepage for PWA users. I was wondering,
if we could add a column in the GANTT view of the Project Center and have
users be able to click on the correct row to access the workspace instead?
Any tips much appreciated.

Hi Kahuna,

In the Home page of PWA you can remove the Project Workspaces WebPart, and
create a new page dedicted to this Project Workspaces WebPart.
On the other hand, when your users are in Project Pro, the Collaborate menu
can lead them to the Issues, Risks... which are not far from the Project
Workspace.

G�rard Ducouret

"kahuna" <kahuna@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
80EA5979-C76A-4264-B374-7E68878B9C29@microsoft.com...
> Personally, I am not a fan of the Project Workspace list taking up so much
> space and cluttering up the default homepage for PWA users. I was
> wondering,
> if we could add a column in the GANTT view of the Project Center and have
> users be able to click on the correct row to access the workspace instead?
> Any tips much appreciated.

Kahuna:

There's no need for this extra gyration as the Project Center already
contains this functionality. Select a project row and click on the "Go To"
menu in the toolbar.

--
Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP
msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com

"kahuna" <kahuna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Personally, I am not a fan of the Project Workspace list taking up so much
> space and cluttering up the default homepage for PWA users. I was
> wondering,
> if we could add a column in the GANTT view of the Project Center and have
> users be able to click on the correct row to access the workspace instead?
> Any tips much appreciated.

0
Gary
2/25/2010 8:24:52 PM
Agree. However, a simple icon/link on the Project Center Gantt row to access
the respective workspace could save so much real estate and make it easier
too...

"Gary Chefetz" wrote:

> Kahuna:
>
> There's no need for this extra gyration as the Project Center already
> contains this functionality. Select a project row and click on the "Go To"
> menu in the toolbar.
>
> --
> Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP
> msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> FAQs and Reference http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> BLOG: http://projectserverhelp.com
>
> "kahuna" <kahuna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Personally, I am not a fan of the Project Workspace list taking up so much
> > space and cluttering up the default homepage for PWA users. I was
> > wondering,
> > if we could add a column in the GANTT view of the Project Center and have
> > users be able to click on the correct row to access the workspace instead?
> > Any tips much appreciated.

kahuna --

By default, the Project Center web part includes the Indicators column on
the left side of the view.  This column shows indicators for every project
that has Risks, Issues, or Documents associated with it.  The user can
simply click on one of the indicators for a particular project to navigate
to that project's Workspace.  It doesn't get much easier than that!  :)
Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
VP of Educational Services
msProjectExperts
http://www.msprojectexperts.com
http://www.projectserverexperts.com
"We write the books on Project Server"

> Agree. However, a simple icon/link on the Project Center Gantt row to
> access
> the respective workspace could save so much real estate and make it easier
> too...
>
> "Gary Chefetz" wrote:
>
>> Kahuna:
>>
>> There's no need for this extra gyration as the Project Center already
>> contains this functionality. Select a project row and click on the "Go
>> To"
>> menu in the toolbar.
>>
>> --
>> Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP
>> msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com
>> FAQs and Reference http://www.projectserverexperts.com
>> BLOG: http://projectserverhelp.com
>>
>> "kahuna" <kahuna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Personally, I am not a fan of the Project Workspace list taking up so
>> > much
>> > space and cluttering up the default homepage for PWA users. I was
>> > wondering,
>> > if we could add a column in the GANTT view of the Project Center and
>> > have
>> > users be able to click on the correct row to access the workspace
>> > instead?
>> > Any tips much appreciated.

0
Dale
2/26/2010 3:02:08 PM
Thanks Dale for the insight. But I don't see the indicator for the views that
we have enabled in our org. Please advise which View you are looking at in
the Project Center that displays the indicator. Also, what is the field name
of the indicator? I could try adding it to the Summary or Work view in
project center. Thanks a bunch.

"Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:

> kahuna --
>
> By default, the Project Center web part includes the Indicators column on
> the left side of the view.  This column shows indicators for every project
> that has Risks, Issues, or Documents associated with it.  The user can
> simply click on one of the indicators for a particular project to navigate
> to that project's Workspace.  It doesn't get much easier than that!  :)
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
> VP of Educational Services
> msProjectExperts
> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> "We write the books on Project Server"
>

> "kahuna" <kahuna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Agree. However, a simple icon/link on the Project Center Gantt row to
> > access
> > the respective workspace could save so much real estate and make it easier
> > too...
> >
> > "Gary Chefetz" wrote:
> >
> >> Kahuna:
> >>
> >> There's no need for this extra gyration as the Project Center already
> >> contains this functionality. Select a project row and click on the "Go
> >> To"
> >> menu in the toolbar.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP
> >> msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com
> >> FAQs and Reference http://www.projectserverexperts.com
> >> BLOG: http://projectserverhelp.com
> >>
> >> "kahuna" <kahuna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kahuna --

By default, every Project Center view includes the Indicators field.  Keep
in mind, however, that users do not see any Workspace-related indicators in
this column for any project until someone creates at least one Risk or
Issue, or uploads a document into the Document Library for that project.
And then the PM must also publish the project for the relevant indicator to
appear.  If a project does not have any Risks, Issues, or documents
associated with it, then there won't be an indicator for the Project
Workspace, and then you need to fall back to the steps Gary Chefetz
recommended in his last post.  Hope this helps.

--

> Thanks Dale for the insight. But I don't see the indicator for the views
> that
> we have enabled in our org. Please advise which View you are looking at in
> the Project Center that displays the indicator. Also, what is the field
> name
> of the indicator? I could try adding it to the Summary or Work view in
> project center. Thanks a bunch.
>
> "Dale Howard [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> kahuna --
>>
>> By default, the Project Center web part includes the Indicators column on
>> the left side of the view.  This column shows indicators for every
>> project
>> that has Risks, Issues, or Documents associated with it.  The user can
>> simply click on one of the indicators for a particular project to
>> navigate
>> to that project's Workspace.  It doesn't get much easier than that!  :)
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Dale A. Howard [MVP]
>> VP of Educational Services
>> msProjectExperts
>> http://www.msprojectexperts.com
>> http://www.projectserverexperts.com
>> "We write the books on Project Server"
>>

>> "kahuna" <kahuna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Agree. However, a simple icon/link on the Project Center Gantt row to
>> > access
>> > the respective workspace could save so much real estate and make it
>> > easier
>> > too...

0
Dale
2/26/2010 6:34:26 PM
Hi, personally I use it the way you said. Here's how I did :

As ProjectWorkspace is not an available field, I created a custom
field (project, text field) where I set once the url of
projectWorkspace. (This even can become a formula if your Project
workspace name is alway as suggested (url : path/title...)).
I add this column in the project center view. Dont show text but nice
icon.
Then anyone who access to this view can click on the link and open
projectWorkspace.
see screenshot of this : http://www.ixila.com/wp-content/uploads/ProjectWorkspacelink.png

Hope this help you
Regards,
Xavier HOVASSE
www.ixila.com
0
Xavier

How do I change the default color of the tag for insert c... #2
This issue has me perplexed. I don't enjoy the default red color tag while doing an insert comment. Does anyone know how to change the default color? Thanks in advance. You can't change the color. You could use the Drawing Tools to draw a tiny little triangle over it (or them) and then give it a fill color. See http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments01.html for more on comments. tj "ntwrkengnr@hotmail.com" wrote: > This issue has me perplexed. I don't enjoy the default red color tag while > doing an insert comment. Does anyone know how to change the default c...

Problem linking dll
Hi, I'm having trouble linking a dll that I'm writing with my test program. Both the dll and the program I'm using it with are written in vc++ 6.0. If I use LoadLibrary and GetProc to link to the functions at runtime then it works fine, I can call them and they work. However, I'd like to have my program implicitly link to them when it loads. I've tried using these declarations in the dll header file: #ifdef XXXDLL_EXPORTS extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) BOOL SetX(char* x); extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) int GetX(int x); #else extern "C"...

Link Question
Hello everyone! Using E02 on XP. Usually in the Access area and don't use Excel much but...always learn SO much in these Newsgroups. I have 2 folders in a shared drive that contain 2 versions of a file that need to be compared. (We send the ToClient file to our clients and they make changes to participant data for year end valuation work. They return it to us and we put it in the FromClient folder.) I've created a master file that will compare the two, cell by cell and, for now, just return "Ok" or "Edited". (Later I want to show the ToClient cell value...

View Publisher 2003 File
Is there a way to view a Pub 2003 file if the program is not installed on your computer? I need to see if I can open the file to save it as a PDF and send it to someone. Is this possible? Thanks! No... You can download the trial version of Publisher 2007. It will open Publisher 2003 files. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/FX100487821033.aspx If you send me the file I will convert it for you. mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "KenPez" <KenPez@discussions.microso...

History and Activity Views
Under Account: In the History and Activity views it should be possible to display: The Contact that each item refers to For E-mail the direction (in/out) of the message Under Contact: For E-mail the direction (in/out) of the message ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the mes...

Chart Links ?
We have a workbook ('Book1') that we need to archive every week. In this workbook there are 3 charts (on a tab called 'graphs') which have source data linked to a tab called 'data' all within the same workbook. When we 'SaveAs' to a different location the source code of the charts is remaining with the original workbook ('Book1') and not with the newly saved workbook ('Book2'). Why is this happening, and how do we fix it???? Kevin Kevin, This doesn't sound like normal Excel behaviour... What you've described should only happen if y...

Creating Cross-Project Links
Hi 1). What is the usage of Creating Cross-Project Links ? As I understand, "Cross-project links are useful when two or more projects have only a few tasks that affect one another. For example, a milestone within a development project might trigger a task in an advertising campaign project." 2). How it is implemented in Project 2007 ? When I copied the task from the source project into my project ( target project ) using "Paste Special", the new task I created become another task in my target project. My observation is both task ( ie. task in the source...

Big prodject! How to insert row or rows beneath certain text
Is there a code that when a certain text is in collumn (A3) ALL CORE i insert one row beneath it, Also if there is one or more text next t each other, Like Collumn (A9 and A10) HUNTER-#2 and HUNTER-#2 an there're the exactly the same then insert two rows beneath the las Hunter-#2. But the thing is I only want it to happen to specifics text and can it have exceptions like at A5 and A6 the text reads COPE & DRA #2 and under it says COPE & DRAG #3 can the code it insert two row beneath COPE & Drag #3 but if COPE & DRAGE #3 does not appear the insert one row beneath COPE &...

how can i change a linked sound file to become an embedded
i am trying to package up a powerpoint presenatation that contains an audio track - which is an mp4 file. Within the presentation the sound file is currently a linked file. I've tried using the 'package to cd' function but I can still not get the sound to work when i then put the cd into other computers. so how can i embed it instead? i've tried deleting the track, raising the 'sound size limit' to 6000 kb and resinserting it-but that doesnt work. the file is 5.3MB. My plan is to ultimately email the presentation - but it's vital that the s...

Queue Custom Views
This is reaching but is it possible to change the main Grid of the Queue? It only displays Title, Entered Queue, and Type. We are trying to utlize a workflow that kicks out a service activity to various queues when an case is created and need to display more columns describing the activity. Thanks! Did you ever get this figured out as I need to do the same? -- Dennis "MDV1457" wrote: > This is reaching but is it possible to change the main Grid of the Queue? It > only displays Title, Entered Queue, and Type. We are trying to utlize a > workflow that kicks out ...

Finding values in different rows/columns
This should be simple, but I'm lost. To greatly simplify my sheets: 1 11 12 13 14 15 21 22 23 24 25 31 32 33 34 35 41 42 43 44 45 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22 23 24 25 31 32 33 34 35 41 42 43 44 45 I want to do a VLOOKUP(1,A1:A10,1,false) and return the value in D4, or VLOOKUP(2,A1:A10,1,false) and return the value in C9. In other words, find my A cell reference and return the value in a different row/column from that. Another question: When I move a cell (cell1) to another cell (cell2) a cell (cell3) that references cell1 moves its reference from cell1 to c...

Visio: How to set a transparent background on an inserted GIF?
Inserted a GIF from file with a white background. Would like to edit the image to make the background transparent so that it will overlay the drawing background. Is it possible in Visio, or do I have to edit the source file with another application? On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 14:49:02 -0700, John Sudds <JohnSudds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Inserted a GIF from file with a white background. Would like to edit the >image to make the background transparent so that it will overlay the drawing >background. Is it possible in Visio, or do I have to edit the source file >with ...

linking comments between spreadsheets
Hi, I'm new to this discussion group and relatively new to Excel. Im afraid I have no programming experience either. I am using Excel 2003 I have linked a number of cells between two spreadsheets so that the second sheet "mirrors" the first one in the relevant cells and updates when changes are made. I would also like to link the comments in these cells so they are also mirrored and updated in the second sheet. Is this possible? Any advice would be welcome, Thanks You'll need a macro. Saved from a previous post: If you want to use a user defined function to get the...

Combining two columns into one- Excel 2007
I have two columns of information. The first contains the date and the second contains a number. I want to combine these two into a single column where the date is the first piece of data and the number is the second, etc. etc. I have about 15000 sets of data (date and number), so to do this manually would be out of the question. Any suggestions for a "novice" programmer? Thanks Steve Clarification What I want to do is insert a blank row every other row, and then move the data in column b1 down into A2, b2 into A4 etc. Original worksheet A B 2/1/2007 45 2/2/2007 49 2/3/2007...

Hide Weekend in Month View
I only want to see M-F on the month view of my calendar. Can this be done? ...

Is there any way to check GRANT VIEW DEFINITION ?
There is a request to grant privilege to a particular user for viewing stored procedure source code for all databases. We searched the web and applied the following script: USE master GO GRANT VIEW ANY DEFINITION TO User1 Is there any way to check the view definition has been granted ? We have tried sp_helprotect for one of those databases but there is no action shown as VIEW DEFINITION. Your advice is sought. Thanks Check out the sys.server_permissions catalog view. -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.co...

Hiding columns and custom views problem
Hello: I have defined 6 views in modules that define views. The views are simply hiding or showing columns based on a value in a hidden row. These columns are also grouped in outlines. I am having issues with one of the views which is spitting out the "can't move objects off sheet" error. I already have code in the workbook that autosets the "size with cells" property of inserted comments. Are there some caveats with hiding/showing columns which are grouped? Are there limits to the number of columns that can be manipulated in this way? My sheet has 150 colum...

insert blank row every 10 rows
Is it possible to insert a blank row every 10th row starting from row 11 and going until the last and variable row of data? maybe this? Sub test() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim lastrow As Long Set ws = Worksheets("Sheet1") lastrow = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row Do Until lastrow < 11 If lastrow Mod 10 = 0 Then ws.Rows(lastrow).Offset(-9).EntireRow.Insert End If lastrow = lastrow - 1 Loop End Sub -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "aileen" &...

Failed to create client pane/view for frame
My MDI application gave the following warnings in the output pane in debug mode and would not create any more windows after it successfully created 8 or 9 similar windows: - Failed to create client pane/view for frame - Warning: CDocTemplate couldn't create a frame. I derived my class from CFormView to create the window since the window is dialog base with lots of controls in it (around 500 to 600 bitmaps and static text for displaying purpose). I read the discussion on article 166132 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q166132/), it talked about initializing the richedit control, but...

Inserting blank rows plus using Sum
I have a list of stocks sorted by date. When the stock symbol changes, I need to insert 2 blank rows and AutoSum columns 2, 6,7, and 8 of the group and display them on the first of the 2 blank rows, leaving a blank row before the next group. Symbol Qty Price Action Name US Trade Date Amount Commission Fees MSFT -210 28.95 Sell 2/13/2008 6079.43 -0.07 -0.07 MSFT -790 28.95 Sell 2/13/2008 22863.24 -7.26 -0.26 -1000 28942.67 -7.33 -0.33 C -700 22.16 Sell 3/4/2008 15511.82 -0.18 -0.18 C -300 22.15 Sell 3/4/2008 6637.92 -7.08 -0.08 -1000 22149.74 -7.26 -0.26 MSFT -500...

Please Help: Character Insertion
Hello: I have an excel database full of product from my supplier. One of th columns contains UPC codes. A full UPC code is 11 digits, but for som reason my supplier omits the number zero in which the first number i zero. Right now, I have half a list of correct 11 digit codes, and th other half I need to insert a zero in front og very first digit. I there any way for me to do this in bulk instead of doing one by one? for example 12345678999 9999999999 (I need zeroes entered on these in the beginning -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Maybe change the format to custom 00000...

HOW DO I Auto inserting date and time?
Can someone out there please help me! Am trying to find what the formula would be to automatically insert date and time (in seperate columns) when another field has been filled. Ie, if cell C3 has data in it, then for C1 to automatically insert the date, and C2 to automatically insert a time. I am told that this IS possible, but I can't work out how to do it! Thank you in advance for any assistance! Shane --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.515 / Virus Database: 313 - Release Date: 01/09/2003 thank you...

Picture viewing in outlook 2000 using XP
Using outlook 2000 standard (no updates). XP Home with all SP's and updates. I view picture attachments using the default picture and fax viewer. When the last picture is viewed. I click next. Instead of restarting the same file, another file appears. It is always the same picture file that appears regardless of which email I am viewing. I have removed the intruder picture file from the C drive(MY Pictures) and from outlook (sent items). This intruder still happens. Any ideas ??? Metro Pete <Metro Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Using outlook 2000 standard (no u...

linking to multiple workbooks
I have 50 or so workbooks each with 1 sheet in them. I am trying to create one master workbook that will essentially look the same as the individual sheets in the different workbooks. Every sheet has the exact same cells and formulas on them. I want to link the 50 workbooks to one master, but I don't want to open each one and link it that way. Is there a way to merge workbooks, or an easier way of linking everything. Any assistance welcom. Thanks Start with this example for a few cells http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm How big is the range that you want to link to ? I can ...

Transfer information from column
Excel 2007 I have a large spreadsheet that was exported from a accounting file. There are four columns with addresses, (add 1, add 2...), I would like to be able to take this information and move it into one column without re-doing all the information. If I can do this, I will be able to wrap the text to fit on the same page. Sub put4columnsinto1() dim i as integer dim dlr as long dim lr as long For i = 2 To 4 dlr = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1 lr = Cells(Rows.Count, i).End(xlUp).Row Cells(1, i).Resize(lr).Copy Cells(dlr, 1) Next i End Sub -- Don Guille...