PPT 2010 embed or link video

I am concerned about embedding versus linking large video files (50mb +).

One, I'm concerned about corruption due to file size.

From a strictly performance perspective - are there any advantages to one or
the other?

Also, in the 2010 beta, on the insert video dialog, there is an "insert"
option and "link" option. But when you select link, it still shows insert, on
the dropdown list. I think this is a bug - because the files apparently are
linked.

Also, as a suggestion if MS is listening in, there should be an icon that
shows whether a video is linked or embedded right on the workspace screen.
This is a much-needed feature.

In article <1609B221-E893-4FA4-8E25-79D790B6A1AD@microsoft.com>, Djames wol
wrote:
> I am concerned about embedding versus linking large video files (50mb +).
>
> One, I'm concerned about corruption due to file size.

It's too early to tell, really.  But considering that you'd need to heave around
the same 50+mb video file whether it's embedded or linked, I'd guess that IF
file size is an issue, it'll be an issue either way.

> From a strictly performance perspective - are there any advantages to one or
> the other?

It might be marginally faster to access an external video file than to access
one inside a ZIP file (which is what PPT would be doing with embedded files).

But from the point of view of "performs or doesn't perform at all" an embedded
file is going to be useful because you don't have to worry about broken links.

> Also, in the 2010 beta, on the insert video dialog, there is an "insert"
> option and "link" option. But when you select link, it still shows insert, on
> the dropdown list. I think this is a bug - because the files apparently are
> linked.

I'm not sure what you're seeing here.  If I insert a movie, choose the file, I
can click Insert or click the downarrow next to insert to get a dropdown that
shows "Insert" and "Link to File".

It may seem a bit odd to have Insert | Insert as an implied option, but I
suppose it's like so:

Insert button gives you the default behavior. Whatever MS thinks is best for us.

Since we're sensible people and don't think Bill always KNOWS what's best, we
want options so we click open the dropdown, which tells us our options are to
Insert (ie, embed, though it could make that a lot clearer) and Link.

> Also, as a suggestion if MS is listening in, there should be an icon that
> shows whether a video is linked or embedded right on the workspace screen.
> This is a much-needed feature.

That would be useful.  Too late to get it into this release, I'd imagine, so
instead you can, at least in theory, do File | Info | click "View Link" under
Optimize Media Compatibility.

Buggy, it seems.  Here, clicking it does nothing, although right above the link
it's scolding me about a linked file that I need to embed.

There's also our free FixLinks add-in demo.  The demo only fixes links to image
files, but it includes a link reporting tool that's not limited in any way.
It'll report on the links in the pressie, show you what slide they're on and
what shape.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve
1/23/2010 6:03:58 PM
I like this idea of a clever button. But maybe that with 2010 we don't need
it anylonger. Just time will say
"djames_wol" <djameswol@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message
de news: 1609B221-E893-4FA4-8E25-79D790B6A1AD@microsoft.com...
>I am concerned about embedding versus linking large video files (50mb +).
>
> One, I'm concerned about corruption due to file size.
>
> From a strictly performance perspective - are there any advantages to one
> or
> the other?
>
> Also, in the 2010 beta, on the insert video dialog, there is an "insert"
> option and "link" option. But when you select link, it still shows insert,
> on
> the dropdown list. I think this is a bug - because the files apparently
> are
> linked.
>
> Also, as a suggestion if MS is listening in, there should be an icon that
> shows whether a video is linked or embedded right on the workspace screen.
> This is a much-needed feature.

0
jpforestier
1/23/2010 6:31:02 PM
Thanks.

My point concerning the dialog and the Insert dropdown is that even when you click link, the dropdown still shows insert - so there's no way to know if it is actually going to embed or link.

If you're going to link, that should show on the dropdown before you hit OK - but maybe it's just me  :-)

And so far, it appears that the files are embedding either way.
0
Dave
1/31/2010 12:30:41 AM
I just figured out what I was doing wrong - duh.
0
Dave
1/31/2010 4:26:17 AM
In article <#EgvfygoKHA.5776@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Dave wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> My point concerning the dialog and the Insert dropdown is that even when you click link, the
dropdown still shows insert - so there's no way to know if it is actually going to embed or link.

After the dropdown's closed, no, that's true.  But you've just clicked Link a fraction of a second
prior.  Surely you can be trusted to remember that?  ;-)

I agree, it would be nice if the OK button changed to reflect what's really going to happen, but
understand that some dialog boxes are shared among the various Office apps;  the PPT folks probably
don't control what features they have and have to work with what they're given.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve
1/31/2010 6:00:45 PM
The problem was that I have single click turned on - so I was trying to set the drop down and then click on the file. But the drop down isn't sticky.

So, I just click in the window, hover over the file and then click link. That's was I was only getting embedded files.

I have a very video-intensive presentation for teaching a class - and as it was the file was up to 400Mb when the files were embedded. So, it took forever to save and autosave. And, I've had enough crashes and file corruptions over the years, that I just don't trust a file that large in PPT.
0
Dave
1/31/2010 11:28:05 PM
Glad you worked it out, and thanks for posting back about it.
I'd *never* have guessed this one.

In article <#uNaL0soKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Dave wrote:
> The problem was that I have single click turned on -

Ah.  I think you're the first person I've ever "met" who uses that.

I took one look at it back when it was introduced and thought it was sorta evil.  ;-)

> so I was trying to set the drop down and then click on the file. But the drop down isn't sticky.
>
> So, I just click in the window, hover over the file and then click link. That's was I was only getting embedded files.
>
> I have a very video-intensive presentation for teaching a class - and as it was the file was up to 400Mb when the files were embedded. So, it took forever to save and autosave. And, I've had enough crashes and file corruptions over the years, that I just don't trust a file that large in PPT.
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.powerpoint/PPT-2010-embed-or-link-video

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve
2/1/2010 1:18:57 AM
My first reaction to one-click was the same as yours - but I have been using it for close to 10 years now, I guess - and I am lost without it when I go to another computer. You're right, I don't know anyone else who uses it either. Now it's second-nature.
0
Dave
2/2/2010 5:05:46 PM
In article <##Sj4nCpKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Dave wrote:
> My first reaction to one-click was the same as yours - but I have been using it for close to 10
years now, I guess - and I am lost without it when I go to another computer. You're right, I
don't know anyone else who uses it either. Now it's second-nature.

Let's hear it for features that we can turn on or off as we choose. <g>

By the way, I reported this whole thing to MS.  It seems to be a train of events they hadn't
thought of.

> ---
> frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.powerpoint/PPT-2010-embed-or-link-video

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve

Linking drop down boxes #2
Gord Dibben and Dave Peterson Many thanks for the sound advice to visit Debra Dalgleish's site whic has proved most helpful. best wishes to you both Zaika : -- zaik ----------------------------------------------------------------------- zaika's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1590 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27384 Zaika Thanks for the thanks. Gord....and for Dave also. On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:27:57 -0600, zaika <zaika.1f0kzz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > >Gord Dibben and Dave Peterson &...

links not updating
Hi I have two files. Data in File 1 is linked to data in file 2. I have both the files open. When I change a value in file 2, the data in file 1 should update automatically. This doesn't seem to be happening. I have to go to each cell and hit F2 for the update to happen. I've tried both F9 and Shift-F9. The calcuations are set to automatic but still it doesn't update uatomatically. Any idea what is happening? Thanks Utkarsh Do you have calculation set to automatic (tools|Options|calculation tab)? If yes, are you sure you have both workbooks open in the same instance of excel? ...

Link Access table to Excel worksheet
I want to link these so that they can be edited in either programme. Whichever way, the link box is greyed out. You can make a linked table in Access. It's File - Get External Data - Link. The data lives in the Excel workbook, I think (I don't think Access keeps a copy of it). But you can change data in either Excel or Access. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "dalesrunner" <dalesrunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A165D6C6-D173-45F7-94D5-352E3AA5121E@microsoft.com... ...

Forms Check Box cell link
Excel 2003 I am using a check box created with the Forms menu. I created a box over cell D4. Using the Format Control box, I linked the check box to cell D4. I want to copy the check box in cell D5, D6, D7,.... and I want the cell link to integrate in the same mannor; check box in cell D5 should link to cell D5, and so on. Is there a way to accomplish this short of going into the format control box and manually editing each cell link after I have copy and pasted several check boxes? I have NOT entered the link using an absolute cell referense. I got the idea for this from Dav...

Access-Forms-VB links
After years in software development/database programming mostly on Unix/Oracle I'm tasked to change some Access forms to use redesigned tables. I'm having trouble with the relationship between forms and VB. For example I'm looking at some VB code that frequently references the Me class which I assume to be the default reference to the current (form) class (like this in C++), but I can't see how/where the class is actually defined. Can someone please provide some links that provide concise explanations of the relationship between Access and VB. My googling has only turned up pag...

Paste Link to data Help!!!
J_Knowles helped me out with this macro; it is very useful for transferring data from one workbook to another and has been very helpful for the short term; however, I still need to create a link to the data as some people who use the destination data file do not have access to both files and cannot run the macro. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?&lang=&cr=&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel.programming&p=1&tid=96068e06-fa13-4bc1-ade8-75c6f3091b9f Sub FindMatchesInBooks() Dim swb As Workbook, dwb As Workbook Dim sd...

Linking chart parameters to cells
Is anyone aware of a way of linking chart parameters normally set in the various dialog boxes, to a value in a cell. For example, suppose I'd like the value (Y) axis minimum and maximum value to change based on the value of a certain formula, can I somehow link those values to a cell in the spreadsheet. If not, it'd be cool if I could. Maybe the next version of Excel? >-----Original Message----- >Is anyone aware of a way of linking chart parameters >normally set in the various dialog boxes, to a value in a >cell. For example, suppose I'd like the value (Y)...

Multiple Exchange Servers (across slow link)
Hello, Soon I will be needing to setup a remote office network. The main site will be running SBS for ISA/DC/Exchange. The remote site will be connected via VPN (router to router) back to the main site with those workstations on the same internal domain. Each site is in effect a different business with their own email domains and will have a standard ADSL Broadband connection. To save traffic I was thinking it would be better to have an exchange server on site at each location to manage the email domains appropriate for that location. The alternative is the Exchange server at the main site ...

How can I remove a link that won't go away
When I click on the "Break Link" button, the link doesn't leave. Is the link to an external file? Try copy paste special - Values -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Margie" <Margie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DF64E5F-A24C-4A18-AED7-293C25F33954@microsoft.com... > When I click on the "Break Link" button, the link doesn't leave. I'd use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm Margie wrote: > > When I click on the "Break Link" button, the l...

PPT Language Check
Hello, I would like to know how I can set the whole document and all its circles with text and smart shapre hierachies to ENGLISH. So far I have to mark each text item individually and clicking on Toolbar - Review - Language - ENGLISH - [Default] did not help either. I am using PPT 2007. When you create a presentation, PPT picks up its language settings from your keyboard. There's no way to just tell PPT to make all text <whatever language> after it's created. You'd have to use code. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/245468 (I don't know if this will work f...

Opening Office 2010 beta documents with Office 2003
The header says it all. I tried a "patch" or converter I found on the Microsoft web site and installed it, but I get errors that there is not enough memory to open the application. The particular file I am trying to open is an excel file created using a beta copy of MS Office 2010. Office 2003 is a certified, activated, registered release. Is there a file converter for this or do I just have to wait until Microsoft comes out with the final release? Really, I wish there would be SOME backward compatibility with Microsoft's Office products. It seems that whe...

Outlook 2010 question
I want to delete my existing pst folders and start over with a pst that I have saved to a safe location. How do I do that? You delete the present pst and put the pst files that you have backed up manually back in the same place from where you deleted the present pst -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "RichCo" <richcolo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4cd59...

Linking Form and Report
Good evening, I have a Main Entry Form for the entry of installation data. I have a Report set up to be used as an Audit tool. I would like to have the Audit Report pop up for review when the Save & Close button is depressed. The Form and the Report are linked by Folio No, unfortunately I have not been successful, when you push the Save & Close the form opens but its blank. I have checked the underlying tables and the data seems to be there. Is there something unusual about trying to attach a Report to a Form at all. Private Sub btnSaveRecord_Click() On Error GoTo Err_btnSa...

can't capture video from camcorder via IEEE 1394
I've done my best to describe all the nuances of this issue. I've spent a LOT of time trying to fix this. I graciously appreciate any and all advice offered. Kindly read entire description of problem before offering insights. I hook up my Canon HV20 miniDV digital camcorder via 4pin-6pin firewire to the IEEE 1394 port of my new Gateway desktop (AMD Phenom 9750 QuadCore Processor, 2.4 Ghz, 8 GB ram, running Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics/ATI Radeon HD4650, and Conexant TV Tuner card, only has one 6pin firewire port). I recorded a new tape in ...

Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 migration
I have a client that is setting up a new Exchange 2010 server in a new Active Directory Forest. He currently has an exchange 2007 server in a different forest. He will keep his e-mail domain the same -e.g. acme.com and user mailbox addresses the same -e.g. jsmith@acme.com. He wants to have both servers up simultaneously, then migrate his mail boxes (Some of which are rather large), one by one from the 2007 server to the 2010 server and have the 2007 server forward email for unresolved recipients to the 2010 server until all mailboxes have been moved. I know how to do this...

How can I embed a font in an Excel text box?

Cannot link to Recrod??
I have MS Small Bus 2007 on a new laptop. Have used Publisher for years. I'm getting a message whenever I used Publisher now that says it "cannot link to record". It goes on to say "Before Publisher can link this item to a Business Contact Mgr record: Set up Outlook as your Default email program or Create your Outlook profile, and complete the startup wizard for Outlook 2007 w/Business Contact Mgr". I have no idea what this is about and am not trying to work in Outlook, while using Publisher. Outlook may be open, but I'm not doing anything that I can se...

Links in a drop down menu
HI, I was wondering if anyone could help? In my spreadsheet I have several links to various places in the sheet At the moment they are just hyperlinks, and so I can only have 1 lin per cell. I created a drop down menu to try and incorporate more links into eac cell. Is there any way to have the items in the drop down menu to work a links to places in the spreadsheet? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Mark -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Depends on how you created the dropdowns--Data|validation, or a dropdown from the Forms toolbar or a Combobox from the Con...

linking workbooks #9
I need help linking a workbook that I use daily. I want my co-workers to be able to access it on our shared server. I want to be able to make changes to myworkbook and it automatically save in the copy on the shared server. I also don't want them to be able to change anything. I tried to password protect each sheet, but they could not use the filter function. They need to be able to sort and auto filter but not save changes. Can you help me. I have tried several things nothing works like I need it to. Saving as a Web Page didn't help either. Thank you. Try: File>Sa...

Problem with link cells between 2 spreadsheets
I have two separate spreadsheets containing various data. One is the Summary spreadsheet and another one is the Detail spreadsheet. In the Summary spreadsheet, I bring in the values of various cells from the Detail spreadsheets using the following method. For an example, I bring in value of cell D16 from the ExecSum tab in the Detail spreadsheet into the cell A10 in the Summary spreadsheet, I will do the following In Cell A10 of the Summary spreadsheet, it contains the following to bring the value ='C:\$User\My Folder\Data\[Datail.xls]ExecSum'!$D$16 If cell D16 in the ExecSum...

Updating External Link Values.
Hi All, Im sure there is an easy solution to this but im banging my head against a brick wall here! I have a cell which changes each week to reflect the week number "Week 26" etc. I have an external link to another workbook in the format: =IF(F5=0,0,'H:\Desktop\Apps\[Bus Week 25 Stats.xls]Week'!F$5) Basically I just want to be able to get that "Week 25" to change. To check the value in F1 (which has the Formula which creates "Week 26") to: =IF(F5=0,0,'H:\Desktop\Apps\[Bus Week 26 Stats.xls]Week'!F$5). Sounds easy huh! Im stuck! Help! :eek...

Outlook 2002, can't open links
Hi In Outlook 2002 when I try to click on a link in an email to open it I get the message that it is blocked. I have reduced the security settings under Tools->Macro to Low but still no joy. What is the problem and how can I open links by clicking on them? Thanks Regards More info can be found here: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm -- -Patrick Reed "John" <info@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:O7KK%23jiTJHA.1560@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi > > In Outlook 2002 when I try to click on a link in an email to open it I get &...

DDE links to Bloomberg
Hi I have a spreadhseet that extracts data from Bloomberg via DDE. I have another spreadsheet with a macro that copies and pastes the original spreadsheet. In Office 2000, the Bloomberg spreadsheet would ask if we wanted to update the links. We would say no and the stale data would be available. In Excel 2003, it asks us if we want to update the links. We say no and the DDE formula turns to an error rather than staying as the stale data. Is there a way around this? The DDE formula is: ='C:\blp\API\dde\Blp.xla'!BLP($A2,B$1:C$1,,,BLP|M!'GNSF 4.50 Mtge,[PX LAST,LAST UPDATE...

Change the Network Link Speed
I am using windows ce 5.0. I have VDX-6534 embedded system. It uses a Vortex System on Chip processor. The ethernet controller is an R6040. My OS is built and operating fine. It is a headless system, no Video, no mouse no keyboard. Only FTP and Telnet access. I would like to force the ethernet controller to use only 10BaseT (10MBits / S). Is there any way to do this programatically? I tried setting the SPEED and ForceDpx parameters in the Registry but that did not change anything. Can SETIFENTRY be used to change the SPEED parameter??? Any help would be greatly...

Linking Excel to a Access database #2
Thanks I am giving it a try, it retireves the data ok, but it i difficult to try and set the table up, there are too many differen categories in the data! I will try and see if I can work this one out though..... Otherwise is there anyway that Excel functions can count data in a Access database without importing it -- martin ridle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- martin ridley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=803 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26695 ...