Powerpoint 2007 Excel import change tab

Hi,

The situation is as follows:

Powerpoint template needs to import data from specific fields from
within a tab in excel.
This tab name changes depending on the client.

Using the "paste Special" i can get the info imported fine. The part i
have a problem with is changing the name of the tab to import
different data.Powerpoint doesn't have an option under "Prepare>Edit
Links To file"

If anyone can suggest a solution even a macro to prompt the user to
enter the name of the new sheet they want to pull the data from.

The Execl file does not change
I did try changing the name of the tabs, which oddly worked briefly
but now doesn't, but it was only a bodge.

Thanks
0
Lee

In article <cccde493-c350-47c2-baed-
2d0e43e053d4@u41g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The situation is as follows:
>
> Powerpoint template needs to import data from specific fields from
> within a tab in excel.
> This tab name changes depending on the client.
>
> Using the "paste Special" i can get the info imported fine. The part i
> have a problem with is changing the name of the tab to import
> different data.Powerpoint doesn't have an option under "Prepare>Edit
> Links To file"

There's some code here that shows you how to access an OLE link like
yours:

Show me the link and let me edit it
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00433.htm

The link will look something like this:

drive:\path\filename.xls!SheetName!R1C1:R3C2

You could use Replace to change "!SheetName!" to "!SomeOtherSheetName!"
then a modified version of the code on that page to update the link.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve
1/20/2010 3:38:30 PM
I need to do the same thing as the OP.  I tried Steve's suggestion and
it was very close to working, but there were two problems.
1. It only shows the tab name and cell references for worksheets but
not charts (I have both).  For charts, it stops at path\filename.xls
which does me no good because it's the same file, just a different
tab.
2. When I tried to do it for the worksheet link, it gave me the error
"Can't find ___________" but I know it's there.  It says the parent
directory is "\\filer\project_directory\2.0 PROJECTS" when it is
really "F:\2.0 PROJECTS" and it won't let me substitute either way.

Thanks,
Joel

On Jan 20, 10:38=A0am, Steve Rindsberg <ab...@localhost.com> wrote:
> In article <cccde493-c350-47c2-baed-
>
> 2d0e43e05...@u41g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, Lee wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > The situation is as follows:
>
> > Powerpoint template needs to import data from specific fields from
> > within a tab inexcel.
> > This tab name changes depending on the client.
>
> > Using the "paste Special" i can get the info imported fine. The part i
> > have a problem with is changing the name of the tab to import
> > different data.Powerpoint doesn't have an option under "Prepare>Edit
> > Links To file"
>
> There's some code here that shows you how to access an OLElinklike
> yours:
>
> Show me thelinkand let me edit ithttp://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00433.htm
>
> Thelinkwill look something like this:
>
> drive:\path\filename.xls!SheetName!R1C1:R3C2
>
> You could use Replace tochange"!SheetName!" to "!SomeOtherSheetName!"
> then a modified version of the code on that page to update thelink.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> PPT Frequently Asked Questionshttp://www.pptfaq.com/
>
> PPTools add-ins for PowerPointhttp://www.pptools.com/

0
patchfoo
1/26/2010 7:07:58 PM
In article <3c5f60d2-3af2-4e54-9fba-
14f8c61724ee@c29g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, Patchfoo wrote:
> I need to do the same thing as the OP.  I tried Steve's suggestion and
> it was very close to working, but there were two problems.
> 1. It only shows the tab name and cell references for worksheets but
> not charts (I have both).  For charts, it stops at path\filename.xls
> which does me no good because it's the same file, just a different
> tab.

Are you up to date with Office service packs?  SP2 is the latest.
And depending on how you're looking at the data, are you sure it's not just
getting cut off by the text box it's in?

Looking at LinkFormat.SourceFullName here, I get:

For charts on a worksheet:

path\filename.xlsx!Sheet3![filename.xlsx]Sheet3 Chart 1

For charts on a separate chart sheet:

path\filename.xlsx!Chart1

> 2. When I tried to do it for the worksheet link, it gave me the error
> "Can't find ___________" but I know it's there.  It says the parent
> directory is "\\filer\project_directory\2.0 PROJECTS" when it is
> really "F:\2.0 PROJECTS" and it won't let me substitute either way.

Most likely:  it's showing you the UNC path for directory rather than the
mapped drive; it does that sometimes.  But there's a bug that prevents it
from updating linked files on network drives.  Sounds like that's biting
you.

I'm pretty sure one of the service packs fixed that.

> Thanks,
> Joel
>
> On Jan 20, 10:38 am, Steve Rindsberg <ab...@localhost.com> wrote:
> > In article <cccde493-c350-47c2-baed-
> >
> > 2d0e43e05...@u41g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, Lee wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > > The situation is as follows:
> >
> > > Powerpoint template needs to import data from specific fields from
> > > within a tab inexcel.
> > > This tab name changes depending on the client.
> >
> > > Using the "paste Special" i can get the info imported fine. The part i
> > > have a problem with is changing the name of the tab to import
> > > different data.Powerpoint doesn't have an option under "Prepare>Edit
> > > Links To file"
> >
> > There's some code here that shows you how to access an OLElinklike
> > yours:
> >
> > Show me thelinkand let me edit ithttp://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00433.htm
> >
> > Thelinkwill look something like this:
> >
> > drive:\path\filename.xls!SheetName!R1C1:R3C2
> >
> > You could use Replace tochange"!SheetName!" to "!SomeOtherSheetName!"
> > then a modified version of the code on that page to update thelink.
> >
> > ========================
> ======
> > PPT Frequently Asked Questionshttp://www.pptfaq.com/
> >
> > PPTools add-ins for PowerPointhttp://www.pptools.com/

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve
1/27/2010 4:09:40 PM
Thanks for responding.

On Jan 27, 11:09=A0am, Steve Rindsberg <ab...@localhost.com> wrote:
> In article <3c5f60d2-3af2-4e54-9fba-
>
> 14f8c6172...@c29g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, Patchfoo wrote:
> > I need to do the same thing as the OP. =A0I tried Steve's suggestion an=
> > it was very close to working, but there were two problems.
> > 1. It only shows the tab name and cell references for worksheets but
> > not charts (I have both). =A0For charts, it stops at path\filename.xls
> > which does me no good because it's the same file, just a different
> > tab.
>
> Are you up to date with Office service packs? =A0SP2 is the latest.
> And depending on how you're looking at the data, are you sure it's not ju=
st
> getting cut off by the text box it's in?

Yes I am up to date (I just confirmed in Resources).  And I am sure
that it's not getting cut off because it's the exact same pathway when
I am linking to a worksheet where it does display the references as
R1C1.

> Looking at LinkFormat.SourceFullName here, I get:
>
> For charts on a worksheet:
>
> path\filename.xlsx!Sheet3![filename.xlsx]Sheet3 Chart 1

Aha!  Thanks for your example.  I retried it again and I found out
that when I pasted these charts into PPT I was pasting them as a
Drawing Object rather than a linked Excel Object.  I thought it was as
a link because the links maintained themselves.  I am able to go to
"Edit links to files" and update any of them, even with the other
files closed.

I just tried both of these options and the advantage of the way I have
been doing it is that I can paste the chart into the Excel sheet that
the data are coming from and it will automatically find the data and
let me resize it or edit it.  If I try that with the linked Excel
Object then it pastes it as a slightly different looking chart that
isn't connected to the source anymore - it simply says =3D"EMBED("","")
in the Excel formula bar.  I can't paste it as a link or any other
method (I went through paste special to find a correct way to paste it
with no luck).

Is there any reason I shouldn't just keep using these linked Drawing
Objects?

> For charts on a separate chart sheet:
>
> path\filename.xlsx!Chart1
>
> > 2. When I tried to do it for the worksheet link, it gave me the error
> > "Can't find ___________" but I know it's there. =A0It says the parent
> > directory is "\\filer\project_directory\2.0 PROJECTS" when it is
> > really "F:\2.0 PROJECTS" and it won't let me substitute either way.
>
> Most likely: =A0it's showing you the UNC path for directory rather than t=
he
> mapped drive; it does that sometimes. =A0But there's a bug that prevents =
it
> from updating linked files on network drives. =A0Sounds like that's bitin=
> you.
>
> I'm pretty sure one of the service packs fixed that.

Yes, it seems to be giving me some sort of error, possibly showing me
the wrong path.  However, like I said, I am up to date with the
service packs so it doesn't seem to be that.

I tried to troubleshoot this by editing out the part of the macro that
checks to see if the path entered is the same as the original path.
It used to be a sort of error checker by exiting the sub routine when
the two strings were equivalent, but when I took that check out, it
still gave me an error if I left the pathway intact.  If the pathway
was working properly then it should have simply re-found the current
chart from the original path.  Like I said, it didn't.

> > Thanks,
> > Joel
>
> > On Jan 20, 10:38 am, Steve Rindsberg <ab...@localhost.com> wrote:

> > > There's some code here that shows you how to access an OLElinklike
> > > yours:
>
> > > Show me thelinkand let me edit ithttp://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00433.htm
>
> > > Thelinkwill look something like this:
>
> > > drive:\path\filename.xls!SheetName!R1C1:R3C2
>
> > > You could use Replace tochange"!SheetName!" to "!SomeOtherSheetName!"
> > > then a modified version of the code on that page to update thelink.
>
> > > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D
> > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> > > PPT Frequently Asked Questionshttp://www.pptfaq.com/
>
> > > PPTools add-ins for PowerPointhttp://www.pptools.com/

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> PPT Frequently Asked Questionshttp://www.pptfaq.com/
>
> PPTools add-ins for PowerPointhttp://www.pptools.com/

0
patchfoo
1/27/2010 5:28:37 PM
> Aha!  Thanks for your example.  I retried it again and I found out
> that when I pasted these charts into PPT I was pasting them as a
> Drawing Object rather than a linked Excel Object.  I thought it was as
> a link because the links maintained themselves.  I am able to go to
> "Edit links to files" and update any of them, even with the other
> files closed.

And AHA back at you.  This is interesting, weird and possibly a bug.

I'm going to describe what I'm seeing here; bear with me if some of this is a
rehash of what you've described.  I think we're looking at the same thing but
want to verify that.

I copy a graph from a worksheet in Excel then Paste Special into PPT and
choose

Microsoft Office Graphic Object
Paste (NOT link)

and get something that identifies itself as a Graph (fine; that's what it is)
but that doesn't show any link information (in VBA).  And yet it updates
itself to follow the original XLS file when that changes.  And appears as a
link in the Links dialog box (but set to MANUAL, rather than Automatic
update).

But the link info in the Link dialog box doesn't include anything beyond the
full path to the XLS file; no reference to the data source or chart source
within that XLS file.

And you can rightclick the chart in PPT and change the formatting or even the
chart type w/o changing the original chart in the XLS.  In fact, you can
DELETE the original chart in the XLS.

I think what we have here is akin to the old charts you could create in
MSGraph by linking the data only from Excel into the MSGraph chart.  With the
improvement that the links can update automatically, which they never did
unless you activated the graph.  And with the bug, apparently, that they
update whether or not they're supposed to.

No, wait.  That only seems to happen while the XLS is still open.  Once you
close it, save the PPT and reopen (or some combination of those) it behaves
as you'd expect for a Manual link, and behaves as you'd expect also when you
set the link to Automatic.

Nice feature, on the whole.

> I just tried both of these options and the advantage of the way I have
> been doing it is that I can paste the chart into the Excel sheet that
> the data are coming from and it will automatically find the data and
> let me resize it or edit it.  If I try that with the linked Excel
> Object then it pastes it as a slightly different looking chart that
> isn't connected to the source anymore - it simply says ="EMBED("","")
> in the Excel formula bar.  I can't paste it as a link or any other
> method (I went through paste special to find a correct way to paste it
> with no luck).

You should be able to paste/link the chart directly into PPT to get the same
effect.  Copy it in Excel, Paste Special, Link into PPT.  You can resize it
in PPT then, but you won't be able to format it in PPT other than by
doubleclicking to launch the source chart in Excel.

> Is there any reason I shouldn't just keep using these linked Drawing
> Objects?

It seems to boil down to this:

Graphic Object/Drawing Objects are independent charts within PPT; only the
data links to the original XLS.  Chart formatting from then on is within PPT,
but you can still edit the XLS data and control link updating to it.
What you see in PPT doesn't necessarily resemble the chart in Excel.

Linked charts look back to the XLS for the chart; you have to activate the
chart in Excel to format it, other than changing its position and size.
What you see in PPT is what you have in Excel.

Offhand I can't see any particular advantage to one or the other; whichever
suits your needs/working style, I guess.

Oh, yeah ... coming back full circle ... except for the little matter that
PPT doesn't want to reveal the exact location of the link source, other than
the filename itself.

> > For charts on a separate chart sheet:
> >
> > path\filename.xlsx!Chart1
> >
> > > 2. When I tried to do it for the worksheet link, it gave me the error
> > > "Can't find ___________" but I know it's there.  It says the parent
> > > directory is "\\filer\project_directory\2.0 PROJECTS" when it is
> > > really "F:\2.0 PROJECTS" and it won't let me substitute either way.
> >
> > Most likely:  it's showing you the UNC path for directory rather than t
> he
> > mapped drive; it does that sometimes.  But there's a bug that prevents
> it
> > from updating linked files on network drives.  Sounds like that's bitin
> > you.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure one of the service packs fixed that.
> >

> Yes, it seems to be giving me some sort of error, possibly showing me
> the wrong path.  However, like I said, I am up to date with the
> service packs so it doesn't seem to be that.
>
> I tried to troubleshoot this by editing out the part of the macro that
> checks to see if the path entered is the same as the original path.
> It used to be a sort of error checker by exiting the sub routine when
> the two strings were equivalent, but when I took that check out, it
> still gave me an error if I left the pathway intact.  If the pathway
> was working properly then it should have simply re-found the current
> chart from the original path.  Like I said, it didn't.
>

> > > Thanks,
> > > Joel

> t i

> =
> > > ======

> > ========================
> ======
> > PPT Frequently Asked Questionshttp://www.pptfaq.com/
> >
> > PPTools add-ins for PowerPointhttp://www.pptools.com/

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve
1/28/2010 4:24:48 PM
> And AHA back at you. =A0This is interesting, weird and possibly a bug.
>
> I'm going to describe what I'm seeing here; bear with me if some of this =
is a
> rehash of what you've described. =A0I think we're looking at the same thi=
ng but
> want to verify that.
>
> I copy a graph from a worksheet in Excel then Paste Special into PPT and
> choose
>
> Microsoft Office Graphic Object
> Paste (NOT link)
>
> and get something that identifies itself as a Graph (fine; that's what it=
 is)
> but that doesn't show any link information (in VBA). =A0And yet it update=
> itself to follow the original XLS file when that changes. =A0And appears =
as a
> link in the Links dialog box (but set to MANUAL, rather than Automatic
> update).
>
> But the link info in the Link dialog box doesn't include anything beyond =
the
> full path to the XLS file; no reference to the data source or chart sourc=
> within that XLS file.
>
> And you can rightclick the chart in PPT and change the formatting or even=
 the
> chart type w/o changing the original chart in the XLS. =A0In fact, you ca=
> DELETE the original chart in the XLS.

That's correct.  That's what I've been doing and it is basically the
same process/effect for me.  It's great that it works by maintaining
the links.  And yes, I've just been deleting the charts from the
original Excel file because I have no use for them in there.

> [...]
>
> > Yes, it seems to be giving me some sort of error, possibly showing me
> > the wrong path. =A0However, like I said, I am up to date with the
> > service packs so it doesn't seem to be that.
>
> > I tried to troubleshoot this by editing out the part of the macro that
> > checks to see if the path entered is the same as the original path.
> > It used to be a sort of error checker by exiting the sub routine when
> > the two strings were equivalent, but when I took that check out, it
> > still gave me an error if I left the pathway intact. =A0If the pathway
> > was working properly then it should have simply re-found the current
> > chart from the original path. =A0Like I said, it didn't.

> > t i
>Edi

> > =3D

> > > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=

1/29/2010 5:42:53 PM
I reported this particular set of behaviors to MS to make sure that
it's by design and not some kind of "useful bug" that might disappear
later.  They were a bit startled to find that it works as it does.

I think you win this round of Stump The Chumps. <g>

Again, thanks for bringing this one up.  Very interesting.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Excel not Access

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

New Disk storage

Excel 2007

worksheet tabs 01-06-10
Hi In the 2003 excel-- Is there a way to have the worksheet tabs automatically go in alphabetical order-- or do you have to do in manually? -- Thank-you! Ruth Ruth, Use this code: Sub ArrangeSheetsInOrder() Dim iCount As Integer Application.ScreenUpdating = False iCount = Sheets.Count For i = 1 To iCount - 1 For j = i + 1 To iCount If Sheets(j).Name < Sheets(i).Name Then Sheets(j).Move Before:=Sheets(i) End If Next j Next i End Sub "Ruth" wrote: > Hi > > In the 2003 excel-- Is there a way to have the worksheet tabs automatically ...

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Grammar check not working

Importing leads and workflow
We are just implementing CRM and have a couple of lead lists that we want to import (about 5000 records). The sales force would like calls automatically scheduled when the list is imported and would only like 50 calls scheduled per week. I know that I can assign leads based on various criteria to the correct salesperson. However, is there any way that I can create the phone activities and only limit to 50 per week? Does workflow look at the salesperson work schedule at all or will each sales person have 1000 phone calls scheduled for 3 days from when I import? There isn't anything in ...

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

Radar chart in Access 2007 report

Excel DNS query