Office 2003 macro won't run in Office 2007

I did post this on the Excel Programming site, but not really a lot of
insight came back, so I'm hoping a Powerpoint expert can help!

I created a macro in Office 2003 using early binding to copy data from Excel
into Powerpoint...not the greatest code...but it worked!  Now my users are
switching to Office 2007 and the code won't run!  I have include what I
believe to be the relevant string of code below.

Dim objPPT As Object
Set objPPT = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application")
objPPT.Visible = True

Dim PPApp As PowerPoint.Application
Dim PPPres As PowerPoint.Presentation
Dim PPSlide As PowerPoint.Slide

Set PPApp = GetObject(, "Powerpoint.Application")
PPApp.ActivePresentation.Slides.range(Array(13)).Select

    ' Reference active presentation
Set PPPres = PPApp.ActivePresentation
PPApp.ActiveWindow.ViewType = ppViewSlide
    ' Reference active slide
Set PPSlide =
PPPres.Slides(PPApp.ActiveWindow.Selection.SlideRange.SlideIndex)

    'EXCEL CODE
Sheets("TablesforPP").Select
range("a2").Select
Selection.Copy

    'POWERPOINT CODE
PPSlide.Shapes.Paste.Select

This is where it errors with the following message:

"Run-time error '-2147188160(80048240)':
Shapes (unknown member): Invalid request.  Clipboard is empty or contains
data which may not be pasted here"

The data is captured by the Excel and is in the clipboard ready to paste,
and I can manually paste.  By looking at how the data appears when I manually
paste I think maybe I need to "paste special" as RTF, but I'm not sure of the
coding for that.  I'm not a developer, and had enough trouble getting this
all set up in 2003, now having to "convert" to 2007 is extremely frustrating!

I don't need this coding to be compatible with both Office 2003 and 2007, I
just need it to work in Office 2007.  I'm sure I will run into more issues as
I cycle through the code, but if I can understand why this is happening and
fix it, I think I'll be a long way to understanding any subsequent issues.

Thanks,
Nicki

In article <671175EE-5FB1-4ECC-9082-6DFA6BE32A87@microsoft.com>, Nickis wrote:
> I did post this on the Excel Programming site, but not really a lot of
> insight came back, so I'm hoping a Powerpoint expert can help!
>
> I created a macro in Office 2003 using early binding to copy data from Excel
> into Powerpoint...not the greatest code...but it worked!  Now my users are
> switching to Office 2007 and the code won't run!  I have include what I
> believe to be the relevant string of code below.
>
> Dim objPPT As Object
> Set objPPT = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application")
> objPPT.Visible = True
>
> Dim PPApp As PowerPoint.Application
> Dim PPPres As PowerPoint.Presentation
> Dim PPSlide As PowerPoint.Slide
>
> Set PPApp = GetObject(, "Powerpoint.Application")
> PPApp.ActivePresentation.Slides.range(Array(13)).Select
>
>     ' Reference active presentation
> Set PPPres = PPApp.ActivePresentation
> PPApp.ActiveWindow.ViewType = ppViewSlide
>     ' Reference active slide
> Set PPSlide =
> PPPres.Slides(PPApp.ActiveWindow.Selection.SlideRange.SlideIndex)
>
>     'EXCEL CODE
> Sheets("TablesforPP").Select
> range("a2").Select
> Selection.Copy
>
>     'POWERPOINT CODE
> PPSlide.Shapes.Paste.Select
>
> This is where it errors with the following message:
>
> "Run-time error '-2147188160(80048240)':
> Shapes (unknown member): Invalid request.  Clipboard is empty or contains
> data which may not be pasted here"

This seems to be a fairly common problem when pasting from Excel, at least with
the original release of PPT2007.  Have you applied SP2?  If not, I'd do that and
try again.

You can also clean up the code a good bit:

Instead of this:
> PPApp.ActivePresentation.Slides.range(Array(13)).Select
Do this:

Set PPSlide = ActivePresentation.Slides(13)

And if you do that, you don't need any of this:

>     ' Reference active presentation
> Set PPPres = PPApp.ActivePresentation
> PPApp.ActiveWindow.ViewType = ppViewSlide
>     ' Reference active slide
> Set PPSlide =
> PPPres.Slides(PPApp.ActiveWindow.Selection.SlideRange.SlideIndex)

Just this:

PPSlide.Shapes.Paste.Select

And actually, you probably don't need the .Select

> The data is captured by the Excel and is in the clipboard ready to paste,
> and I can manually paste.  By looking at how the data appears when I manually
> paste I think maybe I need to "paste special" as RTF, but I'm not sure of the
> coding for that.  I'm not a developer, and had enough trouble getting this
> all set up in 2003, now having to "convert" to 2007 is extremely frustrating!
>
> I don't need this coding to be compatible with both Office 2003 and 2007, I
> just need it to work in Office 2007.  I'm sure I will run into more issues as
> I cycle through the code, but if I can understand why this is happening and
> fix it, I think I'll be a long way to understanding any subsequent issues.
>
> Thanks,
> Nicki

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve
1/15/2010 10:09:47 PM
Does this work?

Sub myPaste()
'Early Bound
'Assumes Presentation is Open and reference set to PowerPoint
Dim PPApp As PowerPoint.Application

Set PPApp = GetObject(Class:="Powerpoint.Application")

PPApp.ActiveWindow.ViewType = ppViewSlide
PPApp.ActivePresentation.slides(13).Select
'EXCEL CODE
Sheets("Tables").Select
Range("a2").Select
Selection.Copy

'POWERPOINT CODE
PPApp.ActiveWindow.View.PasteSpecial (ppPasteRTF)
End Sub
--
john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk

Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials

"Nickis" wrote:

> I did post this on the Excel Programming site, but not really a lot of
> insight came back, so I'm hoping a Powerpoint expert can help!
>
> I created a macro in Office 2003 using early binding to copy data from Excel
> into Powerpoint...not the greatest code...but it worked!  Now my users are
> switching to Office 2007 and the code won't run!  I have include what I
> believe to be the relevant string of code below.
>
> Dim objPPT As Object
> Set objPPT = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application")
> objPPT.Visible = True
>
> Dim PPApp As PowerPoint.Application
> Dim PPPres As PowerPoint.Presentation
> Dim PPSlide As PowerPoint.Slide
>
> Set PPApp = GetObject(, "Powerpoint.Application")
> PPApp.ActivePresentation.Slides.range(Array(13)).Select
>
>     ' Reference active presentation
> Set PPPres = PPApp.ActivePresentation
> PPApp.ActiveWindow.ViewType = ppViewSlide
>     ' Reference active slide
> Set PPSlide =
> PPPres.Slides(PPApp.ActiveWindow.Selection.SlideRange.SlideIndex)
>
>     'EXCEL CODE
> Sheets("TablesforPP").Select
> range("a2").Select
> Selection.Copy
>
>     'POWERPOINT CODE
> PPSlide.Shapes.Paste.Select
>
> This is where it errors with the following message:
>
> "Run-time error '-2147188160(80048240)':
> Shapes (unknown member): Invalid request.  Clipboard is empty or contains
> data which may not be pasted here"
>
> The data is captured by the Excel and is in the clipboard ready to paste,
> and I can manually paste.  By looking at how the data appears when I manually
> paste I think maybe I need to "paste special" as RTF, but I'm not sure of the
> coding for that.  I'm not a developer, and had enough trouble getting this
> all set up in 2003, now having to "convert" to 2007 is extremely frustrating!
>
> I don't need this coding to be compatible with both Office 2003 and 2007, I
> just need it to work in Office 2007.  I'm sure I will run into more issues as
> I cycle through the code, but if I can understand why this is happening and
> fix it, I think I'll be a long way to understanding any subsequent issues.
>
> Thanks,
> Nicki

It took me a while to get back to this as I was so disheartened.  I checked
and I do already have SP2.

John,
Thanks so much, this does work!  The placing of this item I'm pasting with
the macro and other items I'm pasting later in the code are all off, but
that's a small thing to fix.  I really appreciate your help!

Nicki

"John Wilson" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > "Run-time error '-2147188160(80048240)':
> > Shapes (unknown member): Invalid request.  Clipboard is empty or contains
> > data which may not be pasted here"
> >
> > The data is captured by the Excel and is in the clipboard ready to paste,
> > and I can manually paste.  By looking at how the data appears when I manually
> > paste I think maybe I need to "paste special" as RTF, but I'm not sure of the
> > coding for that.  I'm not a developer, and had enough trouble getting this
> > all set up in 2003, now having to "convert" to 2007 is extremely frustrating!
> >
> > I don't need this coding to be compatible with both Office 2003 and 2007, I
> > just need it to work in Office 2007.  I'm sure I will run into more issues as
> > I cycle through the code, but if I can understand why this is happening and
> > fix it, I think I'll be a long way to understanding any subsequent issues.

Outlook 2003 Font problem
I'm running a new gateway laptop with Outlook 2003 internet e-mail only. My problem is that I can change fonts and font sizes when sending e-mail, but any email recieved is changed to the default arial 10pt. font. I have HTML set up as the default mail type. Any Suggestions? The fonts in received HTML mail are set by the sender, not by Outlook. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Bob Marks" <rmarks@brake.com> wrote in message news:035301c3d3d7$e4c59810$a401280a@phx.gbl... >...

Excel 2003 Printing
How do I print multiple active worksheets in a workbook, twosided (duplex)? ...

macro to update last character
We are using Excel 2007. We have a large list of id numbers that will need the last character changed from a 1 to 2. The length of the list will always vary but will always be in Column G. For example: 11323674US01 11321507US01 11378181US01 need to be updated to: 11323674US02 11321507US02 11378181US02 Thanks for your help! -- maryj Sorry about the double post.I got an error the first time so didn't think it got posted. -- maryj "maryj" wrote: > We are using Excel 2007. We have a large list of id numbers that will need > the last char...

outlook 2007 question #4
Using Office Professional 2007 on my windows XP Pro SP3 Outlook 2007 will not restart If I am running outlook and then exit out of outlook I will try to start outlook again and it will fail It says the file ???.pst is in use you may need to restart your computer. What taks is still running when you close outlook? if I can kill that process then the file will be released and Outlook should restart. I should not have to restart my pc just to get outlook to start. Any ideas or suggestions Thanks Tom Kill the outlook.exe running task then. Also, ensure that none of the following ar...

what is the product ket for microsoft word 2007
i have micorsoft word on my comp but i need the product key can anyone help i really need it for school "tasha" <tasha @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D68CA045-8F4E-494E-B66F-3ADCFE4D7437@microsoft.com... > i have micorsoft word on my comp but i need the product key can anyone > help i > really need it for school Why are you asking here? We don't have your Office disk? Christ!!! You're a student? Tell me where you attend school so I can be sure to notify the world you attend a school for morons! -- "Don't p...

Exchange 2003 Clustering #3
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C5442A.F775E0E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, Does any one know of any solution to fault tolerance for Exchange = 2003 besides 2003 clustering? Third party vendor.... Also I hear with clustering is only good for hardware failure not = software is this true? Ben ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C5442A.F775E0E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//...

sbs 2003 monitoring issue
Please advice as i tried to reinstall sbs 2003 monitoring but following error message failing the setup. MSDE 2000 Service Pack 4 did not install. For additional instructions, see the SQL Server 2000 Service Pack Web site at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=46241. An error occurred while installing Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE). Rerun Setup, and retry installing Monitoring. Hi: Any error code produced as part of this issue? What steps have you taken to resolve it? - Larry Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit - Get Your SBS Health C...

How do I reinstall Upgrade Office XP when old version has gone?
My computer recently crashed and have reinstalled the programs I had successfully but because my computer now does not have the original version of Office '97, my copy of Upgrade Office XP won't reinstall. Any suggestions? You will not be able to install an upgrade version of Office XP unless you find your old Office 97 CD required for verification. Sicomp wrote: > My computer recently crashed and have reinstalled the programs I had > successfully but because my computer now does not have the original version > of Office '97, my copy of Upgrade Office XP wo...

OUTLOOK 2003 #247
I'm getting a warning bar that says: CANNOT START MICROSOFT OFFICE OUTLOOK. UNABLE TO OPEN THE OUTLOOK WINDOW. THE SET OF FOLDERS COULD NOT BE OPENED. I tried removing Office Pro 2003 and reinstalling it, I tried changing the the Directory, I tried and removed all the regedit in refers to Microsoft OFFICE. I did not have this issue until I uploaded and used MSN Premium and Intellisync MSN and decided to cancelled this service because it was not worth the $9.95 monthly fee. I'm not sure what I need to do, but I need help please advise via email... Thanks in advance, Russ ...

exchange 2003 mailbox move
i have created a new exchange 2003 back-end server in my domain and have been moving mailboxes by right clicking the user names and selecting exchange tasks, move mailboxes from the menu. one of the mailboxes i am moving which is 5GB is currently running a task of moving a folder containing 52,733 messages (or so it says that many i do not know, it could be 100,000 in there or more, anyway) the problem i am getting right now is once it reaches 52,733 messages it continues to count more moved messages, till it gets to about 63,000 messages and then it resets back to 0 and starts all ove...

Cleanup after migration to Exchange 2003
Hi I've finished migrating from an Exchange 5.5 org with 4 sites to an Exchange 2003 org that also has the 4 sites. I have also switched to native mode. Followed the instructions to the letter as specified in the deployment wizard tool and also the deployment guide. What I want to know is can the 4 recipient policies (for each site) that got created during the migration period be deleted.? They refer to "&(mailNickname=*)(legacyExchangeDN=/O=Env BOP/OU=EBOPROT/*))" to Exchange 5.5. Since removing the last exchange 5.5 server and going native my previous problems that I repo...

Outlook 6 to Outlook 2007 Contacts NOT populating
Hello: I just converted my computer from XP to Windows 7 and pretty much all went well. The following did not go well: Address book - I exported my contact list from Outlook 6 and imported to Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 - All contacts were imported to Outlook 2007 correctly - I can see them, HOWEVER, Outlook 2007 does not automatically recognize an email account that exists in my contacts when typing in the TO field. ex. If I have a contact "123@hotmail.com" while in the TO field of a new mail item I want to send - I type "123" Outlook 2007 does n...

background frontpage 2003
I use a background that is dark blue at the top and then fades to light blue at the bottom. When it is repeated I get a sharp edge as I scroll down. I would like to have the background remain light blue no matter how far the page is scrolled down. How do I do that? Lennart in Sweden All that I can think of is to make the image big enough so that it does not repeat. In fact if it fits exactly in the window, you should get the effect that you want. But you have to remember that not everyone uses the same size window -- Trevor Lawrence Canberra Web Site http://trevorl.mv...

Access XP or Access 2003
Dear all, I want to migrate my existing application to newer Access. Which version should I choose between Acc XP and Acc 2003 ? Thanks. Vensia On Thu, 3 May 2007 16:34:28 +0700, "Vensia" <vensia2000_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote: >Dear all, > >I want to migrate my existing application to newer Access. >Which version should I choose between Acc XP and Acc 2003 ? >Thanks. If you're not moving all the way to 07, then use 2003 (in my opinion). > >Vensia > Scott McDaniel scott@takemeout_infotrakker.com www.infotrakker.com Hello Scott, What is the p...

Printing in excel 2003
I want to create a button, when pressed it will automatically print to a printer (not the default printer) this printer is cute PDF, so it will automatically save the document to PDF. This help would be much appreciated. Neil. Have you tried recording a macro while doing this? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Neil Holden" <NeilHolden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:524E4297-135F-4D1E-8AC1-1F98F6891D9E@microsoft.com... >I want to create a button, when pressed it will automatically print to a &...

Money 2003 problem #2
I started reconciling bank account and clicked postpone so I could finish later. When I went back to finish, I get an error message that says <AC206> is not a valid interest amount. Since I clicked postpone and I had already entered the interest amount, now that box is dim and I can't change the <AC206> that's in there. In other words, how do I continue reconciling after clicking postpone? You should have a transaction in the register for the interest. Can you delete that outside of the balancing function? "Anna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com...

How to create Access macro shortcut

Attachments not showing in Outlook 2007 but they do in OWA
Hello, I have Outlook 2007 - with all the defaults set. I have all the microsoft updates applied. I received an e-mail with an PDF attachment - something I receive all the time but for some reason the pdf is not showing as an attachment in outlook and I can't see the PDF contents at all. I thought the attachment just wasn't there as there is no indication that it had an attachment other than the size of the message. I open the message in OWA - sure enough the attachment is there. I forward the message in OWA to myself and I see the attachments in outlook 2007. I ca...

can't paste from clipboard in my macro
Hi. I recorded a macro for the data entry group I work with that will save them lots of time. The only step that doesn't work is the last one, which copies data back from the clipboard into the current worksheet. The goal was to split the first column into three, (it contains a number with three nodes delimited by "-"), eliminate duplicate rows based on the first column only, and renumber the shortened list. Here's what I did: Insert two columns to the right of column A. Select column A. Data - Text to Columns - Delimited by "-" Delete column...

Outlook 2003 Exchange 2003 DST
Hello: First a bit of history: Last week, in preparation for DST, we selected a few of our remote offices and ran all the appropriate patches in sequence (as stated in http://support.microsoft.com/gp/dst_topissues) on Windows 2000 and XP machines hosting Outlook 2003, and Windows 2000 Servers hosting Exchange 2003. After patches were applied, the very thing we were trying to preempt (i.e. Outlook appointments moving up an hour) happened. Because of this, we decided not to update the remainder 65 offices (each office with a Windows 2000 Server hosting Exchange 2003), and instead waited to see...

Upgraded to Publisher 2003 can't open previous version files...
I just upgraded from Publisher 98 to Publisher 2003. Now trying to open my existing .pub files. but receive msg "Publisher can not open this file". I tried to run the old verison, but it's no longer available on my compter. Please help. Seek advice to solve this problem. San. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Do you have Norton? Disable script blocking and in Norton options disable Office Plug-ins. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "san via OfficeKB.com" <forum@OfficeKB.com&...

Having Pb openning/saving fax(Tif format) on Outlook 2003 since a Week plz help
Hi All, Since a few days I can't open or save reveived faxes (.tif), I didn't chage anything to my outlook config, before that I could receive fax read and save them wihout any Pb Thank's for your help Do not multipost. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "bbnimda" <wahhhran-vba@yahoo.fr> wrote in message news:OlOz1OqRHHA.3948@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > Since a few days I can't open or save reveived faxes (.tif), I didn't > chage > anything to my outlook config, > > before that I could receive fax read and save t...

Macro to Insert Worksheet with Worksheet Name the Current Date
I have a need to generate a spreadsheet (timesheets for recording time) that will do the following: 1. Create a worksheet in the spreadsheet that has as the date in the worksheet the date from the previous worksheet plus one day (incremental adds the next day's timesheet). 2. Name the worksheet the date. So if the date in say cell A1 was 2/10/10 the name of the worksheet would be something like 2-10-10 or 2/10/10. 3. As an added wish, I'd like to be able to tell the system how many days I want and what the starting date would be. So if I told the system to start on ...

Re-size picture in Outlook 2007 signature
When I insert my logo (.jpg) into my Outlook 2007 signature, it appears in a very large size. When I go to re-size it smaller by dragging the handle boxes around it, it will not re-size. I've tried right-clicking and double clicking on the logo and nothing helps. Am I able to re-size a picture to be smaller in a signature? Thanks, Melissa While you should be able to resize the picture in Outlook itself, it is better not to do this. It is recommended to resize the picture in a picture editing tool to the exact size that you'll. This way you'll also bring down ...

Cannot run IISLockD.exe
I'm having trouble running iislockd.exe. When I click on it, I get a message stating that IIS is not installed on this server. I verified that IIS is installed yet I get the same message every time. Am I not running this tool correctly? I'd appreciate your help. Thanks. Try this article on how to use the tool. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;325864 <goodfella749@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1134089606.996356.113890@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I'm having trouble running iislockd.exe. When I click on it, I get a > message stat...