Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

Date 5/4/2010

Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively closing
down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in the
rapidly-growing forum platform.  This decision is in response to worldwide
market trends and evolving customer needs.

Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort,
consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors to
retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community environment with
less spam and make answers easier to find by customers and search engines.
Additionally, forums offer a better user and off-topic management platform
that will improve customer satisfaction by facilitating discussions in a
clean space.

We understand that some newsgroups are still active, and important to the
community.  In the coming days and weeks, we will be rolling out tools and
resources to minimize disruption to the community discussions.

We are working diligently on providing additional resources and information
in local languages later this week.  In the meantime, please refer to the
official Microsoft Newsgroup website
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx concerning this
issue.  The Microsoft Newsgroup website will be made available in additional
languages in the next few days.

0
nntp

I'm confused :(

Where will these discussions migrate to?

TAJ

0
TAJ
5/7/2010 9:36:00 AM
"TAJ Simmons" <presentations@NOMORESPAMawesomebackgrounds.com> wrote in
message news:OFOvjic7KHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I'm confused :(
>
> Where will these discussions migrate to?
>
> TAJ

Presumably here:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeppt

0
Gordon
5/7/2010 11:23:04 AM
Hmmm....I don't like how it is split by topic. The joy of coming here is to
read other people's questions and learn from theirs as well as our own.

Christine

In article <OFOvjic7KHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, TAJ Simmons wrote:
> I'm confused :(
>
> Where will these discussions migrate to?

Gordon's posted the direct link to the top of the PPT bits.

The more general starting point, in case you're looking for non-PPT
wisdom is

http://answers.microsoft.com

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve
5/7/2010 3:44:57 PM
Yeah, and we fought to keep it that way (one group) a few years ago. Our
group is small, so one group wasn't as unwieldy as, say, Word would be if it
weren't split into different groups.

Oh, well. It's the end of an era.

"Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hmmm....I don't like how it is split by topic. The joy of coming here is
> read other people's questions and learn from theirs as well as our own.
>
> Christine
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>

>> "TAJ Simmons" <presentations@NOMORESPAMawesomebackgrounds.com> wrote in
>> message news:OFOvjic7KHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> > I'm confused :(
>> >
>> > Where will these discussions migrate to?
>> >
>> > TAJ
>> >

>> Presumably here:
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeppt
>>

>> .

0
Echo
5/7/2010 11:29:14 PM
Steve Rindsberg wrote:
> In article <OFOvjic7KHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, TAJ Simmons wrote:
>> I'm confused :(
>>
>> Where will these discussions migrate to?
>>

> Gordon's posted the direct link to the top of the PPT bits.
>
> The more general starting point, in case you're looking for non-PPT
> wisdom is
>
> http://answers.microsoft.com

Hmmmm, I don't see a VB6 link there.  Or, hey, no FrontPage either.

Humbug...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
5/11/2010 8:02:37 PM
In article <eUvmpTU8KHA.1888@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Karl E. Peterson
wrote:
> Steve Rindsberg wrote:
> > In article <OFOvjic7KHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, TAJ Simmons wrote:
> >> I'm confused :(
> >>
> >> Where will these discussions migrate to?
> >>

> > Gordon's posted the direct link to the top of the PPT bits.
> >
> > The more general starting point, in case you're looking for non-PPT
> > wisdom is
> >
> > http://answers.microsoft.com
>
> Hmmmm, I don't see a VB6 link there.  Or, hey, no FrontPage either.

This is what you might call A Known Problem.

One that's generating considerable noise elsewhere.

I especially like how the links to "new improved forums" suggested in the
VB6 groups send you to places where they SPECIFICALLY tell you "VB6?  Buzz
off."

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

0
Steve
5/11/2010 11:40:37 PM
Steve Rindsberg wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> Steve Rindsberg wrote:

>>> Gordon's posted the direct link to the top of the PPT bits.
>>>
>>> The more general starting point, in case you're looking for non-PPT
>>> wisdom is
>>>
>>> http://answers.microsoft.com
>>
>> Hmmmm, I don't see a VB6 link there.  Or, hey, no FrontPage either.
>
> This is what you might call A Known Problem.

Really?  I'd have thunk it to be A Feature.  Huh...

> One that's generating considerable noise elsewhere.

Nice.  :-)

> I especially like how the links to "new improved forums" suggested in the
> VB6 groups send you to places where they SPECIFICALLY tell you "VB6?  Buzz
> off."

Where are these suggestions, anyways?

Btw, are you aware of 'softies are all under a gag order on this?  I
seem to be having a devil of a time getting any sort of comment for
attribution. <eg>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl

How to tell microsoft that Excel Union Operator doesn't always work
What is the best way to report a bug to microsoft? Cell A1 through F1 contain the colors red, blue, green, yellow, pink, purple Cell a2 contains green Cell b2 contains =or(a2=(a1:f1)) as a control shift enter array formula. Cell c2 contains =or(a2 = (a1:b1,d1:f1)) CSE Cell b2 works fine, but cell c2 does not work. Seems to me that the Union operator (which is a ,) should work but does not. "UncleBob" <UncleBob@microsoft.com> schreef in bericht news:Ox4vAj1PEHA.2236@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > What is the best way to report a bug to microsoft? > > Cell A1 th...

how to send calendar reminders to non-responding invitees?
Why can't you send true calendar reminders to invitees who haven't responded?? Outlook knows who hasn't replied, so why doesn't it let you send a reminder to those people?? (BTW -- Lotus Notes lets you do this. Another reason Outlook drives me crazy!) Outlook !=Lotus Notes. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, LDBW asked: | Why can't you send true calendar reminde...

Can't Use Microsoft Update
When I check for updates with Office Access it doesn't send me to the office web site and it doesn't trigger Windows Update. I suggests I install Microsoft Update. But, of course, I get the following error number: Error number: 0x80070002 I am told: "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the " I try later on and the same thing. No I didn't try all the options. So there is a controversy among Microsoft products as to which update service to use? Should I us...

Cannot locate Microsoft.crm.proxy.dll
According to the SDK, Microsoft.crm.proxy.dll should be in the wwwroot/bin directory. I can't find it anywhere. I do have the Microsoft.crm.comproxy.dll. Has anyone run into this problem??? Jay Dear Jay, you can find that assembly on the software cd or you can get it from the GAC Folder to get it from the GAC: 1- open a command prompet (Start -> Run -> cmd ) 2- cd WindowsDir -> cd assembly -> cd GAC -> CD Microsoft.CRM.Proxy then go to the assembly version folder and you can find the .dll file :) Regards, Mohamed "Jay Mehta" <jay.mehta@salesmax.com&g...

Watch NFL Games Online
Watch NFL Games Online! For every one who wants to watch the games online because they dont live in the teams town or are at work i found a site that has basically every game covered. Its perfect if you have afford a monthly $70 direct tv nfl access subscription. they got a bunch of channels The sites http://nflonline.wizhoo.com ...

Outlook Client, go online cause uploading to not finish...
Hi, a new laptop for a new employee has an issue when the user try to go online. the uploading step never ends. on my server, I see a lot of transactions (40 to 60tx/sec) during this process. so the user can't go back online correctly. what's appends? we have uninstall and reinstall the CRM client but there is no change. thanks. Jerome. Sounds like something isn't installed in the default Windows XP install. Have you cross referenced the Installation guide. -- Anne Stanton, MVP-CRM, MBA/ACC President The Norwich Group http://www.thenorwichgroup.com http://thenorwich...

What's the deal with List View ignoring LVIF_STATE in OnLvnGetdispinfo Microsoft, please comment !
Hello all. I have whis wierd problem with list view ignoring LVIF_STATE in OnLvnGetdispinfo message handler. It is a custom drawn virtual list. When the list is initially displayed, I'm not getting any LVIF_STATE requests.for the items displayed, only when I scroll the list I start getting it, but list ignores it flat-out. Also, how come I'm not getting any OnLvnSetdispinfo messages? I've run into so many incosistencies when dealig with the virtual custom drawn list that's quickly becoming the nightmare. Here's the current bug list: 1. Keyboard selection bug: when ...

Microsoft Money 2001 Won't Install 2nd Time Around
Will you help me, please? I had installed MSN Money with no problem. But then I uninstall the software because I load it under a wrong user account. After logging back in under the preferred user, I attemp to reinstall MSN Money the 2nd time around but this time it would not install. It will not do anything. I guess it was a misstake in uninstalling it the first time around. Can anyone tell me what is it I need to do to get the computer to install the software? On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 00:45:10 -0700, Otis <Otis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Will you help me, please? ...

How I stopped Money 2007 from crashing
All, In case anyone else has problems with Money crashing unexpectedly, here's a tip that might help someone. I upgraded from 2005 to 2007 and noticed that going to the Lifetime planner would cause a crash. After the 5th time or so, I decided to take action. As a software engineer, I have Visual Studio on my computer. I followed the tip at http://www.hanselman.com/blog/SetUpYourSystemToUseMicrosoftsPublicSymbolServer.aspx to download the debugging symbols for Microsoft libraries. This basically helps the debugger understand Microsoft's libraries better to know which functions are b...

microsoft outlook backup
i am using xp home edition, my HDD crashed and i installed windows xp home in a new HDD. Now I want to take backup of my all emails & address book to my new HDD. Could u please tell me which files to search & take the backup for emails & for the address book ( I have the data in microsoft outlook & also in outlook exp) Thanks. On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 21:36:56 -0700, "abd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i am using xp home edition, my HDD crashed and i installed >windows xp home in a new HDD. Now I want to take backup of >my all emails ...

Setup cannot connect to the Microsoft CRM server
Hello everyone! We're diving into CRM 3.0. The web based testing phase ran well and we're now trying to play with the outlook desktop client. During the setup, I get the following error: "Setup cannot connect to the Microsoft CRM server. This might indicate that the server is down." I've tried modifying the default_client_config.xml file with the server ip address, the netbios name and eventually the FQDN. All failed. The web version, however, was reachable in all cases. I also tried increasing my privileges to local administrator after some google search, the error ...

Online Services #3
Can someone tell me whether, or how often I must renew Money, in order to use online services such as updating mutual fund prices? I am thinking of switching from Quicken, because they are starting to require me to upgrade in order to keep the online services. Does Money have the same requirement? Thank you. Robert wrote: > *Can someone tell me whether, or how often I must renew > Money, in order to use online services such as updating > mutual fund prices? I am thinking of switching from > Quicken, because they are starting to require me to > upgrade in order to keep t...

Some Outlook 2000 clients stop responding when connected on Exchange Server 2003
Hi, Whe recently migrated from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange server 2003. 95% of the our clients are in Outlook 2000. It works fine for the majority but for some user the Outlook 2000 client stop respondinf when trying to connected on the 2003 server. I tried to recreate the Outlook profile it works but for some users the problem reapears. Any ideas? Thanks in advance Joce On 20 Apr 2006 06:38:52 -0700, "Jocelyn" <thefreefly@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Whe recently migrated from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange server 2003. 95% of >the our clients are in Outlook 2000. >...

Can you create a transparent text box in Microsoft Publisher
Can you create a transparent text box in Microsoft Publisher heater <heater@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Can you create a transparent text box in Microsoft Publisher Yes. Ctrl+T. You cannot make the text partially transparent. The text box can only be semitransparent in Publisher 2002 or 2003, and this does not always print correctly. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher Thanks Ed, I tried that & it not quite what Im after. In microsoft word you can make the fill of a text box semi transparent. This is good for instance if you hav...

Microsoft Exchange options missing from the windows backup utility
Im trying to use ntbackup installed in serverA (windows 2003) to backup a exchange server in serverB (windows 2003 SP1) A Exchange Servers Folder doesnt appear in ntbackup, then I have Exchange System Manager in serverA installed but still..the Exchange Servers Folder doesn't appear. some idea ? does the account you're logged on with have sufficient Exchange permissions? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Alexander Wolff" <AlexanderWolff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7FFD6EA-10CA-42C2-9A46-92EED4FA16E2@microsoft.com... > Im trying to use ntbackup i...

Microsoft CRM Outlook Freezes or hangs with any action
Outlook freezes or hangs with every action, even when tracking emails, this has gone on for so long. can any one help???? When we migrated from goldmine to crm, we had hundreds of thousands of records. When using the Outlook client for the first time, we noticed this as well. It turned out that Outlook was syncing with the CRM database. You can check this by going to the CRM drop down and choosing sync progress, or the like. Christine wrote: > Outlook freezes or hangs with every action, even when tracking emails, this > has gone on for so long. can any one help???? Also confirm the f...

what are the best excel online courses
David McRitchie has a list of Excel tutorials: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm#tutorials ira105 wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Excel Report Data Refresh
We recently rolled out a new PC for a user and now when they try to refresh various CRM based Excel reports the data connection cannot be established. Is there an additional installation from CRM for this automatic update to work on the new PC? ...

Outlook stops responding #8
After being open for 1 to 2 minutes, the cursor flashes between the pointer and the hourglass several times after which the program locks up. Then the error message comes up warning that the program will close. I am running outlook 2002 on W98 SE in a network environment. Any sugggestions on how to fix, Thank you ...

How do I fix a "Microsoft VisualC++ Runtime Library" message?
I am using Outlook 2003. Whenever I open it a box marked "Microsoft Visual C + + Runtime Library" pops up. Inside the box it says; Runtime Error! Program:c:/program files/microsoft office/OFFICE11/OUTLOOK.EXE. The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more info. I click okay and it closes the whole outlook. I re-open it ans gives me another message with yes or no answer. If I answer no it lets me into my e-mail. How do I fix it and make it stop? ...

Microsoft Dynamics GP should print invoices on the basis actual.
In Great Plains there is a defect which should be resolved soon. That defect is that the sales analysis report and Aged trail balance report are based on the customer master field not on the basis of actual invoices. For example if there was one customer and there are different sales persons providing to the same customer. There is no way you can get the correct figures of sales or aged trial balance on the report on the basis of sales persons. So what would like to see is correct data in future database. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft respo...

Microsoft Support
Hello, Do clients with a current support agremenet with Microsoft , get sent the new versions of the program 2.0 and 3.0 automaticly? Does it goto the address in VOICE? Thank you, Brian ...

microsoft ecommerce server
has anyone inegrated ms crm with ms commerce server 2007? anyone has suggestions on how to approach this? ...

MS Outlook 2003
Using Outlook 2003, I have an excel table in an email. Trying to get "Open in Microsoft Excel 11" by right clicking. Not working on current computer. Worked fine on previous computer. How do I activate this feature? This is taken from "A guide to Microsoft office 2003", "Open in Microsoft Excel 11 command Starts Excel and opens the spreadsheet data from an e-mail in a workbook. Found in the menu displayed by right-clicking the spreadsheet data in an e-mail." I really appreciate your help! This is a frustrating conundrum! Thanks, Sonya &qu...

microsoft money program
subject program no longer responds when i ask for "online quotes". how can i fix this problem? thanks ...