Copied text goes wacky in new template

I just set up a new template for a client.  When they copy a free floating
text box from an old presentation, they're getting some wacky formatting,
mainly most of the text turns from Arial left aligned into Helvetica center
aligned bold (the anchored text boxes are fine). Will they have to manually
reformat all the free floating text boxes?

We're both on PPT 2007.
Thanks
Jeri

Does it happen no matter what paste option they use?
--
James
Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida

"ppt diva" <jerit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just set up a new template for a client.  When they copy a free floating
> text box from an old presentation, they're getting some wacky formatting,
> mainly most of the text turns from Arial left aligned into Helvetica
> center
> aligned bold (the anchored text boxes are fine). Will they have to
> manually
> reformat all the free floating text boxes?
>
> We're both on PPT 2007.
> Thanks
> Jeri

0
Jaime
5/28/2010 8:54:11 PM
Yes, and sometimes they don't get the paste option.

"Jaime" wrote:

> Does it happen no matter what paste option they use?
> --
> James
> Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida
>
> "ppt diva" <jerit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just set up a new template for a client.  When they copy a free floating
> > text box from an old presentation, they're getting some wacky formatting,
> > mainly most of the text turns from Arial left aligned into Helvetica
> > center
> > aligned bold (the anchored text boxes are fine). Will they have to
> > manually
> > reformat all the free floating text boxes?
> >
> > We're both on PPT 2007.
> > Thanks
> > Jeri
>
> .

They may have to reformat these. Probably will, actually.

I don't know what causes it, but I've seen similar happen with the manual
textboxes I use for references. The refs start out as Arial Narrow bold left
aligned with the journal name italicized, and after pasting into the new
presentation, they are Arial Narrow not-bold centered with all text
italicized.

It's annoying as hell, and the only workaround I've found is to insert or
paste the slides in in PPT 2003.

In my case, because the text was always in the lower left in the same
general vicinity, I probably could have gotten one of the guys to code me
something to reset the formatting (at least the bold / non-italicized /
left-aligned part, but probably not the original "only journal name
italicized" part). Not sure that would work in your case, but if it will,
you might consider hiring someone to write an add-in for you, because
there's just not a way around this one.

> Yes, and sometimes they don't get the paste option.
>
> "Jaime" wrote:
>
>> Does it happen no matter what paste option they use?
>> --
>> James
>> Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida
>>
>> "ppt diva" <jerit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I just set up a new template for a client.  When they copy a free
>> > floating
>> > text box from an old presentation, they're getting some wacky
>> > formatting,
>> > mainly most of the text turns from Arial left aligned into Helvetica
>> > center
>> > aligned bold (the anchored text boxes are fine). Will they have to
>> > manually
>> > reformat all the free floating text boxes?
>> >
>> > We're both on PPT 2007.
>> > Thanks
>> > Jeri
>>
>> .

0
Echo
5/29/2010 7:12:44 AM
Thanks Echo. Even if the answer is "It's not possible", that's good to know
so I can confidently tell my client so.

"Echo S" wrote:

> They may have to reformat these. Probably will, actually.
>
> I don't know what causes it, but I've seen similar happen with the manual
> textboxes I use for references. The refs start out as Arial Narrow bold left
> aligned with the journal name italicized, and after pasting into the new
> presentation, they are Arial Narrow not-bold centered with all text
> italicized.
>
> It's annoying as hell, and the only workaround I've found is to insert or
> paste the slides in in PPT 2003.
>
> In my case, because the text was always in the lower left in the same
> general vicinity, I probably could have gotten one of the guys to code me
> something to reset the formatting (at least the bold / non-italicized /
> left-aligned part, but probably not the original "only journal name
> italicized" part). Not sure that would work in your case, but if it will,
> you might consider hiring someone to write an add-in for you, because
> there's just not a way around this one.
>
> --
> Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
> What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm
> Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd
> PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx
>

> "ppt diva" <jerit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, and sometimes they don't get the paste option.
> >
> > "Jaime" wrote:
> >
> >> Does it happen no matter what paste option they use?
> >> --
> >> James
> >> Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida
> >>
> >> "ppt diva" <jerit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .

You're welcome -- I know what you mean about wanting to be able to tell them
the real deal with confidence. I am grateful to have experts to check in
with in other areas for the exact same reason!

> Thanks Echo. Even if the answer is "It's not possible", that's good to
> know
> so I can confidently tell my client so.
>
> "Echo S" wrote:
>
>> They may have to reformat these. Probably will, actually.
>>
>> I don't know what causes it, but I've seen similar happen with the manual
>> textboxes I use for references. The refs start out as Arial Narrow bold
>> left
>> aligned with the journal name italicized, and after pasting into the new
>> presentation, they are Arial Narrow not-bold centered with all text
>> italicized.
>>
>> It's annoying as hell, and the only workaround I've found is to insert or
>> paste the slides in in PPT 2003.
>>
>> In my case, because the text was always in the lower left in the same
>> general vicinity, I probably could have gotten one of the guys to code me
>> something to reset the formatting (at least the bold / non-italicized /
>> left-aligned part, but probably not the original "only journal name
>> italicized" part). Not sure that would work in your case, but if it will,
>> you might consider hiring someone to write an add-in for you, because
>> there's just not a way around this one.
>>
>> --
>> Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
>> What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm
>> Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd
>> PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx
>>

>> "ppt diva" <jerit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, and sometimes they don't get the paste option.

0
Echo