Cannot read file with password

I've created a 2003 .ppt file, with a password.  If you enter the password
you can make edits.  If you do not enter the pw, then the file opens in
read-only mode.  When another person on our network tries to open the file,
they receive an error message...."Powerpoint can't read the outline from
s:\directory\filename.ppt. No text converter is installed for this file type."
When opening the file from my workstation, I get the prompt to enter a
password and everything works as expected.

Any help?

Could they have a version BEFORE 2002?

"Kelli" <Kelli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've created a 2003 .ppt file, with a password.  If you enter the password
> you can make edits.  If you do not enter the pw, then the file opens in
> read-only mode.  When another person on our network tries to open the
> file,
> they receive an error message...."Powerpoint can't read the outline from
> s:\directory\filename.ppt. No text converter is installed for this file
> type."
> When opening the file from my workstation, I get the prompt to enter a
> password and everything works as expected.
>
> Any help?

0
John

Outlook PST file too big
Product: Outlook 2000 I recently backed up my Outlook PST file to a DVD. (It was over the 2 GB limit) I then created a new PST file to use. However, now I cannot mount the old PST file to get some data off it. I have been told this is due to the file being over 2GB. Is there anything I can do to get into the file now? I would hate to loose this much data. is it because the pst is too big or because you are reading it from a DVD? Outlook needs read/write access as well as a pst under 2GB. http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, ...

All my databases now expect a password
Hi I have set up a database for a client that required restricted access, with the use of user names & passwords. For this, I created a dedicated work group file and set it up that way. Everything has been working fine, including the customers copy. Now, I have come to make some changes to it - including splitting the database into a front end and a back end. Now, all the databases on my PC are asking me for a user name & password - it was only intended for the one. What has happened here & how can I put it right? Stapes On Aug 28, 7:47 am, Stapes <steve.sta...@gmail.com>...

need help... Getting a error when I add a xml schema include location xsd file
Hi, I am trying to add the following line to my xml schema xsd file <xsd:include schemaLocation="../../../Common/datatypes.xsd"/> Here is my code XmlSchemaInclude include = new XmlSchemaInclude(); include.SchemaLocation = "../../../Common/datatypes.xsd"; schema.Items.Add(include); when I print out the schema, it crashes StreamWriter sw = new StreamWriter(@strFormName+".xsd", false, Encoding.UTF8); schema.Write(sw); sw.Close(); Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks ...

"File As" Contact Field Blank
Hi, My "File As" Field is blank in when viewing my Contacts in Outlook 2003. Although the field is entered when completing a new contact, it remains blank when viewing the contact as an Address Card, or whatever. Any ideas how to fix this? I am using Office 2003 Professional. -- BadHead :) --- OS: Windows XP Professional SP2 PSU: Tagan 2 Force TG530-U22 530W MoBo: Abit AN8 Fatal1ty CPU: AMD64 3200 (Venice Core) HSF: AeroCool GT-1000 RAM: 1024Mb 400Ghz Patriot XBLK GPU: MSI NX6800 256MB (NV Silencer 5 Heatsink) Disks: 2X Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb Case: Akasa Eclipse 62 Did...

Please help me: Refresh pivot table using another source file.
My supervisor put an interactive spreadsheet (or pivot table) on the web. Now he wants me to make changes to the spreadsheet so that when you click "Refresh" on the website, this spreadsheet gets new data from me rather than from my supervisor. How do I do this? Thanks for your help. ...

excel passwords #2
I need to know how to set up a password and change a password to prevent access to my workbook.TIA Use workbook/sheet protection. Select tools menu>protection. There you can select the type of protection you want and include a password Regards, F.I. >-----Original Message----- >I need to know how to set up a password and change a >password to prevent access to my workbook.TIA >. > ...

Publisher file #2
I am preparing (as I do every month) a magazine formatted in booklet style. Whenever I close and reopen, it's turned itself into a web page! I can reconvert it via Page setup, but when I return to work some more, it's back in web page format. Any idea why? and what can I do to stop it, please? -- -------------------------------------------- Protected by Norton Antivirus What version Publisher? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Lorna Dodd" <lorna.dodd@virgin.net> wrote in message news:ulvrWxi...

Reading Registry Key through excel?
Is there anyway to read a certain registry key and display it in a cell how about a way to create a key through excel? is that possible -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Rav, There is a special registry area for VBA which is read/written via GetSettinmg and SaveSetting functions. It is a bit restrictive, in that in can only writes to a limited part of the registry, but it's sufficient for storing application details. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "ravz &g...

Can't get into email
I can't access windows mail - system keeps asking for user name and password but then won't accept whatever I type in. This is error message: Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR popgate argument(s) missing.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91 Think problem may have started with last Windows security update? Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers. Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentic...

Suggested reading
Any suggested reading for Access 2003 VBA? I have both "Step by Step Access 2003" And "Microsoft Access 2003 VBA for Dummies" (how Ironic) and niether have been very helpful. Try this book. It's a winner: Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference by Patricia Cardoza, Teresa Hennig, Graham Seach, and Armen Stein http://www.amazon.com/Access-2007-Programmers-Reference-Programmer/dp/0470047038/ref=sr_1_1/104-1181757-2327103?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185824619&sr=8-1 -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.access...

merging files
I have two excel reports, formatted the same but with different data. how do i import the second excel file into a workbook of the first excel file? Hi one way: - open both workbooks - activate the workbook with the sheet to be exported and right-click on the tab name - choose 'Move/Copy' - choose your target workbook and check 'Copy' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany george wrote: > I have two excel reports, formatted the same but with > different data. how do i import the second excel file > into a workbook of the first excel file? ...

Outlook 2003 Upgrade Kept Old PST File Version, How to Fix?
I just upgraded a client to 2003 because of some issues with the PST file size in his Outlook XP (it crashed as he exceeded the 2GB limitation by about 200MB!). Anyway, the upgrade kept the file as a 97-2002 PST file which still has the 2GB limitation. I created a new data file that is the new version and was able to recover the other PST file, but I can't get Outlook to make that the default Outlook folder. I could move the email delivery to it, but not have Outlook open this file. I tried renaming the default PST to see if Outlook would then prompt me for a data file, but it wouldn&#...

File, New Message
When you send a new email message from Outlook or Word 2003, you can start typing in the TO: email address and it shows a list of addresses to choose from (ones you have typed in before). This list of previous emails typed in seems to have been completely deleted, and I am starting over from scract - each time I type in a new email, it appears in the list the next time. How did this list get deleted? How does it get restored? I don't see anywhere do to it. I do use Norton Anti Virus and LavaSoft Ad-Adward spyware, could they have removed it? I have never had this problem before...

Reading Pane & RightClick email->Properties
Hello Is there a simple way to turn off the Reading Pane globally across all email accounts being viewed within an Outlook 2003 session... eg. I have several accounts HTTP, POP etc, and have to individually go through each accounts folder in turn disabling the reading pane which is a real "pane" (excuse the punn:-). I'm looking for something along the lines of a registry edit hack, or config file change. Also, what happened to the ability to right click a message and choose properties to view header details ? This only appears valid now under the Personal folders, and n...

File in Exclusive Use
I have searched this forum and Excel help and cannot find the answer to my seemingly simple question. How does a user take a file out of exclusive use? We have an Excel file that was shared and the user accidently put the file in exclusive use mode, now we are unable to share the file again. The user does not know how she put the file in exclusive use, can anyone tell me how this is done? Any help will be much appreciated. You should be able to simply reshare the workbook. Excel doesn't allow a shared workbook if it has a table. We don't use shared workbooks muc...

sums on a file
Is there an easy way to see all the sums that are on an excel spread sheet at once. DO you mean all the Formulas ? If so, use CTRL+` (the key to the left of 1 on the top row of the so-called typewriter keys). Use the same key combo to return to normal. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "BINZA@" <mark1.smith(remove this)@virgin.net> wrote in message news:O2eZZICTGHA.5900@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is there an easy way to see all the sums that are on an excel spread sheet > at once. > Perfect Bernard just wha...

import pst file #2
yet, another problem with importing a pst file: When I have chosen the file to import I get the message: 'Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use' But I cannot find anywhere to define it when importing??? I obviously made a definition naming the pst file when exporting it. But how do I import the file? How did you create this PST file? Was it ever on a CD? If so, remove its read only attribute. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "carsten" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dad01c3c034$48890ec0$a001280a@phx.gbl....

Can't open Publisher files
I am an IT coordinator at an international school in Bangkok, Thailand, and I have a teacher who does all of her parent newsletters in Publisher 2000. Today she tried to open about 10 of them from last spring, and even though we can see the files in My Documents when she clicks on them, she gets an "Unable to Open File" error. Any ideas????? Thanks Do they have the garbage/trash/rubbish/junk Symantec Norton antivirus installed? Are you trying to open the files from a network? -- The US should free all those illegally held prisoners they are torturing, abusing and denying human ...

Read receipt #13
When I'm sending email with request a read receipt to one person or group of people it works. But when I want to send it to group 'All stuff' it doesn't. So everybody can receive mail but without read confirmation. Is it possible that this group is too big or what else can it be? ...

changes and passwords
hello. I am working on a quote tool in excel. people go into the spread sheet - make their selections and it will come up with a final cost. at this stage my boss has to validate the quote. I need there to be some part of the sheet that only he can access and maybe tick a box to say he has validated the quote. once he has done this if anybody changes anything in the spreadsheet it should loose his validation. any help is appreciated! I think you need to think about how strong you want to make the protected part of the sheet. One solution would be to have an area of your sheet set...

Excel 97 file size limit?
Hi, I use Excel 97(version created in 1996) on windows 98. I am not a computer expert and I need some perspective on how large I could eventually make a file before it reaches it's limit and will not function anymore. I use one file and only one workspace in that file. I will keep adding data in cells and formulas in some cells to calculate entered data. My total file size is 10,500KB so far. I have a bunch of numeric data entered from cell A1 to DZ1320. Then I have a number of formulas in cells from A1325 to P1460. My formulas are basicly simple, average "this row"...

"Broken" PST files?
Outlook 2007 / Windows XP / PST formats both Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003 Problem: I keep getting "Delayed Write Failures" across most of my PST files. Environment: 1) Files are stored on network drive. (company policy) 2) All files are 400MB and less 3) I have 6 PSTs loaded at all times while running Outlook What I've tried. 1) Run ScanPST on each PST. It found errors and was able to repair. However, it becomes "bad" again a couple of hours later. Again, I'm able to run ScanPST and repair the files. 2) Checked with IT support that I have ...

Convert an Excel workbook to an .exe file
I am curious if it is possible to convert an Excel workbook to an .exe file? Nope. It would kind of make it difficult for Microsoft to make mone selling Excel to everyone... -- kkkni ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kkknie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=754 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26729 You may want to investigate the possibilities presented by Visual Baler. http://the-ciba.com/vbaler/vbaler.html I have never used it nor know anyone who has so cannot vouch...

Including h files in project
What are the advantages and disadvantages of including the h files in the project? It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I include them or not. Ken "Kenny" <handsom@comcast.netspicedham> wrote in message news:WoSdnU9Au8v0SQOiRVn-vg@comcast.com... > What are the advantages and disadvantages of including > the h files in the project? It doesn't seem to make any > difference whether I include them or not. > Ken If they are not included then when they are changed build will not compile any dependents. Cheers Richard. "rf" <making...

Open excel file to current date.
I have an excel spreadsheet I use for a employee work schedule. I want to have the file open to the current date. The dates are located in column B. One way: Option Explicit Sub auto_open() Dim res As Variant With Worksheets("sheet1") res = Application.Match(CLng(Date), .Range("b:b"), 0) If IsError(res) Then MsgBox "today wasn't found" Else Application.Goto .Range("b:b")(res), scroll:=True End If End With End Sub "K. Weaver" wrote: > > I have an e...