Cannot read file with password

I've created a 2003 .ppt file, with a password.  If you enter the password
you can make edits.  If you do not enter the pw, then the file opens in
read-only mode.  When another person on our network tries to open the file,
they receive an error message...."Powerpoint can't read the outline from
s:\directory\filename.ppt. No text converter is installed for this file type."
When opening the file from my workstation, I get the prompt to enter a
password and everything works as expected.

Any help?

Could they have a version BEFORE 2002?

"Kelli" <Kelli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've created a 2003 .ppt file, with a password.  If you enter the password
> you can make edits.  If you do not enter the pw, then the file opens in
> read-only mode.  When another person on our network tries to open the
> file,
> they receive an error message...."Powerpoint can't read the outline from
> s:\directory\filename.ppt. No text converter is installed for this file
> type."
> When opening the file from my workstation, I get the prompt to enter a
> password and everything works as expected.
>
> Any help?

0
John

Password Protection #4
I have a password protected sheet. For one of the columns, I have a validation rule and have a list of values that the column can take. I put a password for the sheet and now no can change the sheet except for the column where I have the validation rule. When I click on that column, the small arrow appears and the drop down box appears and I can select a different value and change the cell. All other columns are locked. Cant we protect a column that has a validation rule with a "List" as option? Not that I'm aware. But doesn't the Data|Validation provide the sa...

Nested schema bug? Project compiles, but doesn't read XML properly
We've run into an issue with VS2005 (at least I *think* it's an issue with Visual Studio) and one of our XML dataset schemas. We're trying to add a nested XML element to an existing element, but even though the project compiles fine, the XML document is not being read into a dataset properly. This is a trimmed-down sample of our current (working) XML document: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <AppMasterDataset xmlns="..."> <Aspects> <Key>...</Key> <Label>...</Label> <Aspect> ...

OWA Password page not showing up.
I installed the hotfix from kb 833734. I've also tried to follow the steps found at kb 327843. However, when I set an account to "change password at next logon" and go to that account in OWA on a FE that's using forms based auth, it doesn't redirect to the page for changing an expired password. However if i direct my browser to that page manually and fill in the form, it unexpires my password just fine. Is this how it's supposed to work? Shouldn't it detect that it's expired and thus redirect me to the page for resetting my password? Thanks. This ...

rules and alerts after read
I want to create rules where emails are sent to particular folders after they have been read. How do I do this? The rules and alerts section in my outlook 2003 version doesn't seem to allow me to do this. Rules act on mail when received or sent, not after being read. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Turtle asked: | I want to create rules where emails are sent to particular folders | after they have been...

automatically naming files for savingb

Macro Security, Password Recovery & VB Code execution
I have found that if I set my macro security to high, VB code within (non-trusted) excel sheets do not execute... a microsoft security feature that ostensibly prevents non- trusted users from running VB The questions I have are : Is there a way to guarantee VB macro-execution using digital certificates or what-have-you ? Is there a way to detect, either within excel (well, not possible, it seems) or from outside, that the combo of users macro-security settings and signature status of a perticular excel file, WILL prevent VB from executing, if the file is attempted to opened ? ...

I want to read,but:
The web display: Directory Listing Denied This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed. could you tell how to access another web like this? "LeeTow" <fbjlt@pub3.fz.fj.cn> wrote in message news:eDQ5RlJmEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > The web display: > Directory Listing Denied > This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed. > could you tell how to access another web like this? > > looks like the link got wrapped, you may have to copy it out and put it back together... or you could try this: http://tinyurl.com/3mtvv ...

Deleted file in Outlook
I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it possible to retreive it. Thank you, Karl youthminman@yahoo.com <youthminman@yahoo.com> wrote: > I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it > possible to retreive it. Unless you permanently deleted it (i.e., held down Shift when pressing Delete), it will be in your Deleted items folder, unless you've emptied that folder. If you have emptied it, other suggestions depend on knowing what data store you're using (PST or Exchange mailbox). -- Brian Tillman ...

Changing password #2
Hi, If I change a domain user's password, will that user's Exchange Server 2003 mailbox's pssword be changed too? I mean, does Active Directory share the same password with Exchange Server 2003? Thanks! Exchange never had passwords separate from domain, not even in Exchange 4-5.5 era. So you would change just one password, which belongs to AD account. Michael wrote: > Hi, > > If I change a domain user's password, will that user's > Exchange Server 2003 mailbox's pssword be changed too? > I mean, does Active Directory share the same password > w...

XML File Converter for MS 2004
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel I'm a high school teacher. I write power points on MS 2004 on my Mac and transfer them to my school's PC that has MS 2003. This worked great, with exception of minor formatting changes, until a month ago. Power points that I previously opened on that PC, along with new ones, would not open - this is disasterous for instruction. My tech says 1) the school's PC may have had updates that caused the new problem and 2) that I should install the Open XML File Converter for Mac's MS 2004. I'm concerned tha...

how do I transfer file from Clipboard to an e-mail message
How do I transfer a file from Outlook clipboard or C drive to the body of an e-mail message NOT as an attachment. thanks you would need to open the file and copy the contents. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOF...

Transferring files to a new computer
Hi - I'm in the process of configuring my new Windows XP with MSFT Small Biz. I was running Windows 98 and using Outlook 2000. Now I want to copy all my old emails, folders, addresses etc. into the new version of Outlook 2003 but I can't seem to find it. It's not recognizing my saved files as .PST files. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks, daviskho "daviskho" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052801c3dbb0$e46e5970$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi - I'm in the process of configuring my new Windows XP > with MSFT Small Biz. ...

Too large to send, yet the file gets saved.
I noticed that a user's mailbox grew from 100KB to 400KB in a few days. This got my attention. I pokjed around and found that he had tried to zip a really big file and send it to his AOL account. (we won't talk about what was in that single file that would not compress al that well :-) ) The file was 161MB (obviously this is larger than global message delivery default) and it was in both his sent items and found in the bounce-back message from the system administrator: This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter messa...

Capital One giving me corrupt Money import files
Money is saying the files I get from Capital One credit card are corrupt. Some months import fine, while others I get an error. I try to get support from Capital One, but they keep giving me the runaround. Anything I can do with Money to get this to work? I have about 50 transactions a month and rather not input these manually! -Max Max, The problem is that there's a character in the statement you're getting from Capital One that Money is choking on. I've run in to the same issue...save the statement from Capital One to your hard drive and edit it by hand. Search for &qu...

password retention
My outlook will not retain password although the box to remember is checked. This same question was posted by "Bill" Jan 24 8:07pm and answered by Milly. However, when you refer to the article she suggests, Windows xp is not an option, and she has yet to respond to his follow-up question regarding which of the listed os to use. If someone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You Does the fact that nobody responds to a posting mean that there is no one that can answer or are we in the wrong place.? >-----Original Message----- >My outlook will not retain...

changing system password in EPM front and backend database server
I have implemented EPM in my company .with two server installation . One is front end and second is backend . and during installation of all tools i have used domain id and password . now i want to change that password . changing of password will effect at any working of EPM tools and will create any problems ? kindly reply me soon. -- Regards Basim Khalid Alvi Infrastructure Consultant MCP,MCTS,MCITP,Microsoft Enterprise Project Manager Hi Basim, To change service account details (I am assuming Project Server 2007) you will need to change the details for a nu...

jpg files
I have had several users experiencing problems opening pictures from Outlook 2000. Their O/S is XP Pro. Any ideas? Thank You, Jamie ...

netword password
Hi All, I just installed office 2007 on my windows xp home sr3 computer. Now, every so often I will get a pop up asking me to enter my network password. Is there any way to stop this from happening? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, -- Regards, Gary Metzler send to: gmtravel@bellsouth.net http://www.outtasighttravel.com Msn messenger: gmetzler1150@hotmail.com Skype name: garymetz ...

Copying Very Large files
Would there be any performance gain if we used win2008R2 rather than Windows 7 at each end for copying large(2-5GB batches). -- Craig On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:56:55 -0600, "News" <nf@no.com> wrote: >Would there be any performance gain if we used win2008R2 rather than >Windows 7 at each end for copying large(2-5GB batches). > >-- Craig > I doubt it but the performance will differ in ways that depend upon the file size not just the total bytes. You may find some clues in http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2008/02/04/28261...

Help setting a File Name
hi experts I'm having trouble with the following: Cell J1 of Sheet1 contains a date, say Dec. 15, 2009. Sheet1 has a 'Save' button called cmbSave. When I click cbmSave, I'd like the SaveAs... dialog to be shown with the suggested File Name showing as 'POS_Summary_091215.xls' . In other words, I'd like the suggested file name to start with 'POS_Summary_', and to end with the J1 date in yymmdd format. Can this be done? thank you in advance Cinnie -- cinnie Sub newdate() Dim d As Date, s As String d = Range("J1").Va...

Web link to Excel 97 file
I've got a link to an Excel '97 file from a ColdFusion page. The link works fine the first time I click it. However, if I close the file down and click the link again, I get a message saying 'Cars.xls is being modified by (my user name). Would you like to open as read only?' I can open the file as read only, but am wondering why I get this message, even when I'm not modifying it? I've had other users try and it works the same way for them, except it tells them they're the one currently modifying it. We're using Internet Explorer 5.5 and Windows 20...