WHY: duplicated entries in suppliers table after using QSimport

hello

after using QSimport to populate the items table, i've noticed that there
are a lot of duplicate entries being created in the supplier table. There are
254 only distinct supplier names, but there are 654 suppliers total. When you
look at the suppliers which are present more than once, you notice (i am 99%
sure) that all of the ones that get duplicated are had to be truncated to 30
characters, the max data length for that field. i checked and they are not
being duplicated because they are misspelled or even because of trailing
spaces in the supplier name

1) would it be harmful to increase the data length to 50?
2) why is this happening?

Thanks,
Eddie B
0
EddieB (41)
11/12/2005 3:08:02 AM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Are you using the truncated value in your import spreadsheet? You need to use
the exact value of the supplier description field as it appears in SO
Manager. If this is a truncated version of the supplier then that is what you
should use.

For the data you are importing, I suggest that you find out the database
field formats and sizes, and validate your data prior to importing. It will
save you time in the long run if using QSC.

Also-Try retail realms import facility. It's a much more user friendly,
robust import tool.It it actually has some internal field validation which
prevents the hundreds of duplicates you can get using QSC import.

"Eddie B" wrote:

> hello
>
> after using QSimport to populate the items table, i've noticed that there
> are a lot of duplicate entries being created in the supplier table. There are
> 254 only distinct supplier names, but there are 654 suppliers total. When you
> look at the suppliers which are present more than once, you notice (i am 99%
> sure) that all of the ones that get duplicated are had to be truncated to 30
> characters, the max data length for that field. i checked and they are not
> being duplicated because they are misspelled or even because of trailing
> spaces in the supplier name
>
> 1) would it be harmful to increase the data length to 50?
> 2) why is this happening?
>
> Thanks,
> Eddie B
0
JamieCR (1)
11/15/2005 12:49:02 AM
Jamie

I've actually sent them an email a week ago and got no response. I just sent
them another one.

Thanks,
Eddie B

"Jamie-CR" wrote:

> Are you using the truncated value in your import spreadsheet? You need to use
> the exact value of the supplier description field as it appears in SO
> Manager. If this is a truncated version of the supplier then that is what you
> should use.
>
> For the data you are importing, I suggest that you find out the database
> field formats and sizes, and validate your data prior to importing. It will
> save you time in the long run if using QSC.
>
> Also-Try retail realms import facility. It's a much more user friendly,
> robust import tool.It it actually has some internal field validation which
> prevents the hundreds of duplicates you can get using QSC import.
>
> "Eddie B" wrote:
>
> > hello
> >
> > after using QSimport to populate the items table, i've noticed that there
> > are a lot of duplicate entries being created in the supplier table. There are
> > 254 only distinct supplier names, but there are 654 suppliers total. When you
> > look at the suppliers which are present more than once, you notice (i am 99%
> > sure) that all of the ones that get duplicated are had to be truncated to 30
> > characters, the max data length for that field. i checked and they are not
> > being duplicated because they are misspelled or even because of trailing
> > spaces in the supplier name
> >
> > 1) would it be harmful to increase the data length to 50?
> > 2) why is this happening?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eddie B
0
EddieB (41)
11/15/2005 2:03:03 AM
i found the solution to the problem. in a nutshell, the txt file's supplier
name column can only have 30 characters max.

thanks
Eddie B

"Eddie B" wrote:

> Jamie
>
> I've actually sent them an email a week ago and got no response. I just sent
> them another one.
>
> Thanks,
> Eddie B
>
> "Jamie-CR" wrote:
>
> > Are you using the truncated value in your import spreadsheet? You need to use
> > the exact value of the supplier description field as it appears in SO
> > Manager. If this is a truncated version of the supplier then that is what you
> > should use.
> >
> > For the data you are importing, I suggest that you find out the database
> > field formats and sizes, and validate your data prior to importing. It will
> > save you time in the long run if using QSC.
> >
> > Also-Try retail realms import facility. It's a much more user friendly,
> > robust import tool.It it actually has some internal field validation which
> > prevents the hundreds of duplicates you can get using QSC import.
> >
> > "Eddie B" wrote:
> >
> > > hello
> > >
> > > after using QSimport to populate the items table, i've noticed that there
> > > are a lot of duplicate entries being created in the supplier table. There are
> > > 254 only distinct supplier names, but there are 654 suppliers total. When you
> > > look at the suppliers which are present more than once, you notice (i am 99%
> > > sure) that all of the ones that get duplicated are had to be truncated to 30
> > > characters, the max data length for that field. i checked and they are not
> > > being duplicated because they are misspelled or even because of trailing
> > > spaces in the supplier name
> > >
> > > 1) would it be harmful to increase the data length to 50?
> > > 2) why is this happening?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Eddie B
0
EddieB (41)

Merging Duplicate Contacts

PA Misc. Log Tables

visual basic

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

Oldest date for Duplicate Cust. #

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Receiving Transaction Entry #2

Duplicate Messages

How Use ShellExecute with a CMemFile

Using INDIRECT within functions

item class table

Duplicate E-Mail #4

How to use count for calls per hour

Odd e-mail duplication problem

basic pivot table group
I have looked at some basic Pivot Table tutorials, but I have a very basic question not answered by their examples. . . . I have data in a spreadsheet formatted like this, each row representing an event: Timestamp Process Message ID 11:23:45:123 processA message123 11:23:45:124 processB message123 11:23:45:136 processC message123 11:23:46:123 processA message456 11:23:47:123 processB message456 11:23:47:678 processC message456 Can a pivot table help me reformat the data like below? ...

SOP Sales Transaction Entry Window
Dear Folks, I have noticed that i couldn't choose/select a salesman Id from Sales Transaction Entry Window (Transactions-> Sales -> Sales Transaction Entry). In my case for every Invoice i have to select a Diffierent Sales man ID. Could any one help me how can i enable this. BUT IT IS AVAILABLE IN Transaction Entry Window which we use without inventory module (Transactions-> Sales -> Transaction Entry Window) Awaiting for your favourable feedback. You can find that field by clicking on the customer number expansion button to the right of the customer number field. Thi...

Sum items in a lookup table.
I work for a bus company that has 240 different routes. I also have a table in Excel that lists monthly ridership for each route. I use it as a lookup table to get data for another report. The problem? There are 6 of the 240 routes that are served by more than one garage so they appear twice in the lookup table and I would like to get the sum of the ridership for that particular route from the table. Is this possible and if so how do I do it? I gather you're using a lookup function now to find the ridership from a given route. VLOOKUP will return (0 or) 1 value. If you use SU...