Which SQL SERVER 2000 edition is best for HQ

Hi all,

As you know SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition and SQL Server 2000 Enterprise
Edition are supported on Windows Server 2003.

Now Which SQL Server 2000 edition is recommended for HQ implementation
STANDARD OR ENTERPRISE ? If any of them, Y ?

I am running SQL SERVER 2000 Engine on WIN Server 2003 OS & HQ server is
seperated running on WIN XP Professional Edition. Are operating Systems
suitable?

0
Junaid (8)
10/11/2006 5:09:01 AM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Depends on your organization's needs.  RMS is not going to make use of
any SQL Server Enterprise features directly, but if you wanted to say
implement a fail-over cluster (minimum $10K in Hardware alone) then you
must have Enterprise.

Why not implement on SQL Server 2005 at this point?  It's in full
release and supported for RMS, so there's no reason to stay on SQL 2K
unless you are already licensed for it.

There's no simple answer for this.  You need to have your specific
requirements analyzed to properly make this decision - MSDE or SQL
Server 2005 Express may be enough to meet your needs.  More likely
Workgroup or Standard Edition for an HQ, but very unlikely that you need
enterprise...

HQ Server on XP and SQL Server on Win2K3 is fine.

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

Junaid wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you know SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition and SQL Server 2000 Enterprise
> Edition are supported on Windows Server 2003.
>
> Now Which SQL Server 2000 edition is recommended for HQ implementation
> STANDARD OR ENTERPRISE ? If any of them, Y ?
>
> I am running SQL SERVER 2000 Engine on WIN Server 2003 OS & HQ server is
> seperated running on WIN XP Professional Edition. Are operating Systems
> suitable?

0
glenn9672 (1267)
10/11/2006 9:02:41 PM
for what it's worth, there is / will be no support for msde2000 on Vista.
If you go the msde route. Or hasta la Vista for that matter.

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" <glenn@nospam.tibercreek.com> wrote in
message news:etrNZiX7GHA.4116@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Depends on your organization's needs.  RMS is not going to make use of
> any SQL Server Enterprise features directly, but if you wanted to say
> implement a fail-over cluster (minimum $10K in Hardware alone) then you
> must have Enterprise.
>
> Why not implement on SQL Server 2005 at this point?  It's in full
> release and supported for RMS, so there's no reason to stay on SQL 2K
> unless you are already licensed for it.
>
> There's no simple answer for this.  You need to have your specific
> requirements analyzed to properly make this decision - MSDE or SQL
> Server 2005 Express may be enough to meet your needs.  More likely
> Workgroup or Standard Edition for an HQ, but very unlikely that you need
> enterprise...
>
> HQ Server on XP and SQL Server on Win2K3 is fine.
>
> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>

> Junaid wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As you know SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition and SQL Server 2000
Enterprise
> > Edition are supported on Windows Server 2003.
> >
> > Now Which SQL Server 2000 edition is recommended for HQ implementation
> > STANDARD OR ENTERPRISE ? If any of them, Y ?
> >
> > I am running SQL SERVER 2000 Engine on WIN Server 2003 OS & HQ server is
> > seperated running on WIN XP Professional Edition. Are operating Systems
> > suitable?

0
jd