What's better than RMS?

I have been using RMS for 3 years now for my clothing store. Now that my
store is expanding 3 times, I am evaluating to see if I should add on to the
existing RMS or get a better POS system. RMS has not improved on features for
so long that I am starting to look at others. I like RMS for
1. SQL-based so that I can do my own custom qwery/reporting in Excel.
2. Easy to use for everyone.
3. It's backed by Microsoft and is fairly inexpensive.
But I have been waiting for features such as
1. Store credit management (using the voucher feature sucks)
2. Entering total count of items at the end each transaction (so that
cashiers do not miss scanning an item)
3. Better, faster way to add new items to the inventory
4. Purchase Order/Shipment - based analysis. A way to add new items from
puchase order screen.
5. Giftcard module without a third vendor
6. A way to scan promo code

Can anyone recommend a POS that can do this?
0
sammm (54)
8/16/2006 6:20:02 AM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Have you looked at Retail Pro.  The have a new version that will allow you to
do the sql queries.  I don't know if it will do all of the others things you
need, but it is a widely used pos system and Unlike Microsoft they just
released a major upgrade version:

I have been complaining for some time about the lack of new features in the
POS system.  I could say the same of SBF.  I also am getting ready to open a
new store and am considering switching systems before the store is open.  For
the amount I am paying in yearly maintenance I am not getting my moneys worth.

I have asked for:

-Automatic batch CC settlement without user intervention.
-I agree with you that I should be able to add items while creating Purchase
orders
-A friendlier Item creation screen especially for Clothing Retailers
(Retail Pro is great at this)
-True integration to SBF not just GL (which they first said they would do
and now say they will never do).

"sammm" wrote:

> I have been using RMS for 3 years now for my clothing store. Now that my
> store is expanding 3 times, I am evaluating to see if I should add on to the
> existing RMS or get a better POS system. RMS has not improved on features for
> so long that I am starting to look at others. I like RMS for
> 1. SQL-based so that I can do my own custom qwery/reporting in Excel.
> 2. Easy to use for everyone.
> 3. It's backed by Microsoft and is fairly inexpensive.
> But I have been waiting for features such as
> 1. Store credit management (using the voucher feature sucks)
> 2. Entering total count of items at the end each transaction (so that
> cashiers do not miss scanning an item)
> 3. Better, faster way to add new items to the inventory
> 4. Purchase Order/Shipment - based analysis. A way to add new items from
> puchase order screen.
> 5. Giftcard module without a third vendor
> 6. A way to scan promo code
>
> Can anyone recommend a POS that can do this?
0
mark564 (750)

Better Newsgroup
Hundreds of questions Hundreds of answers. -- ____________________ Bill DeShawn Please reply to group only Thank you http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn Bill DeShawn at Gregg Creghton's Office <bdeshawn@nospam.net> wrote: > Hundreds of questions > Hundreds of answers. Aphorisms aside, do you have a question? -- Brian Tillman ...

Seeking RMS/QB Accounting Pro
Can anyone recommend an accountant in the Portland Oregon area who is familiar with RMS and Quickbooks? I know somebody in medford. "Jami B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6e5001c4cb6f$d85760f0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone recommend an accountant in the Portland Oregon > area who is familiar with RMS and Quickbooks? ...

What is the latest version of MS RMS POS
What is the latest version of MS RMS POS 1.2.0169 "Brent Hauver" <bh@mvdsl.com> wrote in message news:%23rysbt$rEHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > What is the latest version of MS RMS POS > > Is Ver 1.2.0169 is what is been shipping or you get to that Ver by updating? I ask this because I just bought RMS and I got Ver 1.2.0151. Thank you "root" wrote: > 1.2.0169 > > > "Brent Hauver" <bh@mvdsl.com> wrote in message > news:%23rysbt$rEHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > > What is the latest version of MS RMS PO...

BemaTECH MP-4000 TH with RMS
I have the BemaTECH MP-4000 TH printer and when I run a credit card transaction, it prints one long receipt. I then have to cut it or rip it in half in front of the customer. I have Microsoft RMS...any ideas of a way I can get it to separate between the signature portion of the receipt, and the sales receipt? I m not sure if they have opos drivers, why don't aske them if they opos driver or if they can use epson opos drivers instead. <jlshumway@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1961c8cc-7142-4387-a6c0-f0e34eb8dd62@a3g2000prm.googlegroups.com... > I have the BemaTECH MP-4000 T...

RMS in Restaurant
Dear All, Is there any add-on for Restaurant. Best Regards, Ibrahim Zubair There does not appear to be an add-on for restuarants. We use RMS in a retail wine shop that is a wine bar a few nights a week. We control inventory using RMS, but getting a restaurant-type tip check was a problem. We've solved it by using a stand-alone credit card terminal for credit card sales. See post above: "Restaurant-type tip check????" Hope it helps. -- WineGuy "Ibrahim Zubair" wrote: > Dear All, > > Is there any add-on for Restaurant. > > Best Regards, &g...

seek better program to replace Outlook
We operate a small California business and email is essential to our communication to customers, clients, and suppliers. We use Microsoft Windows XP Professional and Outlook 2002. We seek a better pop3 email solution. Which program do you recommend and why? Thank you very much. I may have answered this before, but I think you have to ask yourself what you want from an email client, then do your searches... All in all, Outlook 2003 is very good... >-----Original Message----- >We operate a small California business and email is essential to our >communication to customers, cl...

HELP! Moving to RMS from DOS program...
Hi all, Here's the situation. I work at a small retail store. We are trying to upgrade from our very old retail software that runs on DOS and dies unexpectedly on occasion. However, we have a HUGE database of customers and inventory that we need to transfer over, preferably intact. I've found four files that contain all the important data, a customer table with a linked table of notes and an inventory table with a linked table of notes. It's crucial that we get the notes over, as our customer rewards program is contained in the notes. The files are .DBT and .DBF files...

Abillity to decrement "packages" in Microsoft RMS
I have a potential doggy day care client who would like to be able to sell packages. For example- they will sell a full day package of 20 full days for $400.00. When the customer comes in to use the day care, they need to decrement the package by a day. I have tested this in RMS and I only know how to decrement by the $ amount, but not by the package amount. Can this be done? And if so how? Another side note- they would want to implement gift cards that sell packages of 20 (for example) and decrement from that as well. thoughts? Andrea Andrea, Look at the Givex add-on to RMS for gif...

Better color progression needed. . .
I am charting a 3D surface plot, but the colors provided in Excel (97) don't show a smooth progression eg light to dark or red to blue, and this gives a disjointed effect if the chart is reproduced in greyscale. Are there any sample charts out there where I can import better colors TI Steve XL is rather limited when it comes to color sophistication. It is limited to the 56 colors in its palette, though, it is possible to replace any of the 56 with others of your choice. Your other option, I imagine, is to export the XL chart as a graphic image into the image editor of your choice ...

RMS GL Jounal Entries Issues
Hello Everyone, We have succesfuly done the RMS to QB Integration, but there is a small problem after we post the batches to QB, the GL Journal Entries are not in Numerical Account Order. The Accountant that we are dealing with is very picky and is complaining that it very stupid the way that RMS post the batch to QB. i.e. Memo Account Debits Credits RMS COGS... 5000 - Cost of Good.. 517.43 RMS Tender... 1100 - Bank of Amer.. 669.72 RMS Tender... 6100 - Credit Slips... 13.00 RMS Tender...

Where can I find the SDK for RMS?
I've searched online but can't seem to find any info on it. Thanks, Nathan The Customization Guide for release 1.3 is available to partners at this URL: https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/rms/documentation/installationsetupguides/rmscustomizationguide.htm?printpage=false It contains information that is still applicable to release 2.0. If you are not a partner, your partner will be able to assist you. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and it confers no rights. email address? "Nathan" <Nathan@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Need help with RMS, "Kit" procedure.
I have combed over numerous case studies regarding retail use of Microsoft RMS and cannot find any that are similar to our situation, so I'm posting it here in the forum in the hopes that someone has an answer or a solution. Our company sells garments (t-shirts, pants, general merchandise), plus we also sell transfers that are printed on these garments. We need help in making a "kit" or "bundle" procedure that will allow us to select a specific garment, then select a specific transfer or logo and have RMS show the exact combined price. Has anyone come across...

Constructor initializations
What is the significance or advantage of using these syntaxes? 1.) Foo::Foo() : A(5) { } 2.) Foo::Foo() { A=5; } Where does it make a difference? Is one better for some things and the other better for others? Etc.? TIA, Harvey Harvey wrote: > What is the significance or advantage of using these syntaxes? > > 1.) > > Foo::Foo() : A(5) > { > } > > 2.) > > Foo::Foo() > { > A=5; > } > > Where does it make a difference? Is one better for some things and the > other better for others? Etc.? Harvey: You should get in the habit of d...

RMS 1.3 #3
i read in discussion board that RMS 1.3 will only work with windows 2003 and XP. Is it just for the work stations or our server has to be also 2003 and higher also. ...

Money 2007 performance
I recently upgraded from Money 2004 to 2007 - was sticking it out with M'04 to the bitter end for being able to download transactions, both because of the the horror stories with M'07 performance from folks like Dick Watson and because MS seemed to be infinitely extending the free 1 year bill pay 'trial' that came with M'04. Anyway, I have a 65MB Money file with about 100 accounts, 9 years of transactions and bill pay, and I was expecting the worst. I have to say that given my low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised. Only a few minor things were worse, and I didn&#...

Difficult Question Inside! Anyone up for it? (formatted better, I hope)
I have only been using Excel for a month now, but did some programmin many years ago. Maybe I�m being too aggressive, but I�m trying t divide bills by the number of people responsible for them. D3=$10.00 E4= PB, RC, GF D E F G H I 1 PB RC GF BEV 2 Amount Description $30.00 $30.00 $30.00 $30.00 3 $10.00 Lunch $3.23 $3.23 $3.24 4 PB, RC, GF $26.77 $26.77 $26.76 $30.00 5 $5.50 Bowling 6 PR, RS $26.77 $26.77 $26.76 $30.00 7 $25.00 Birthday Gift KG...

RMS using Mercury Payment Systems
How do I configure RMS to use Mercury Payment Systems payment processing? "Fred" wrote: > How do I configure RMS to use Mercury Payment Systems payment processing? > > Use this link http://www.mercurypay.com/resources/RMSInstallGuidetpi.pdf It's the install guide pretty simple Thanks for your help. This looks pretty straight forward. But the links to the plugins don't work. "JereHurn@zeroedin" wrote: > > > "Fred" wrote: > > > How do I configure RMS to use Mercury Payment Systems payment processing? > > &g...

Possible to have RMS send automated emails?
Question I have been unable to get answered on the POS system (running a single store with no HQ module). Is there an add-on or programming possibility in the SQL database to have POS send an automated email? For example to send the store owner a nightly copy of the Z-report? Or if inventory for specific items gets too low to send the owner an email with details so he/she might take re-order actions, etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated. email alerts are not a part of the RMS package, and I don't know of any add-ons that allow it. You might want to check out SQL Server ...

RMS with Retail Analytics & Merchandise Planning
Hi all, my company just recently upgraded from RMS 1.3 to RMS 2.0. We do have this software called RAMP (Retail Analytics & Merchandise Planning) installed. That is like OLAP cube built based on the data in the RMS database; which uses excel as a platform. After the upgrade. the RAMP software stopped updating the data; in other word. it is not pulling any new information from the RMS database. What is going on? Please advice. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00AE_01C7ECC7.451B69E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfe...

MS Dynamics POS vs RMS POS
Hi, There is a product called MS Dynamics POS, which is used for independent stores, whereas there is RMS where POS is already integrated. My question is, Is it fine to go with only RMS for multi-stored, or it's more useful to integrate MS Dynamics POS with the RMS? Please clear my doubt. Thanks. If you have more than one store RMS is the only option. POS is for a single store. POS also has some limitations in it as well, here are some examples To intergrate credit card processing you have to either use FDS or a service that either emulate or runs on the Tsys platform. There i...

Honw to decrpyt the RMS database path in the registry?
Hello, Good day to everyone! Does anyone knows how to decrypt the SQL database path of RMS in the registry? I need this to automate my customized module installer to the Store Operation as an integration to our client. Please, need help. Thanks Best Regards, Dexter Vanzuela Use QSRules.Session.Database property to get the connection string "Online issue" wrote: > Hello, Good day to everyone! > > Does anyone knows how to decrypt the SQL database path of RMS in the > registry? > I need this to automate my customized module installer to the Store > Oper...

RMS and PC Charge
Hello all, Anybody had issues with PC Charge grabbing transactions from previous batches and adding them to a current batch? Have a client that this happened to for the second time in a couple months. I'm looking at Post settle batch report and I see three trans from 9-2-04 and it shows the correct batch # from two weeks ago, none of these trans show in the RMS journal for 9-16-04. The last time it happened the trans from a previous batch did show in the Credit Card Detail report for that day but not in the journals. Any info appreciated. Chuck: I can actually tell you what t...

RMS corrupted and need to reinstall
i have to reinstall windows and RMS. i need to make sure that i save all of the data. can someone help me with the steps to make sure i dont loose any data. Use Store Ops Administrator and create a backup. Then copy that backup file somewhere safe, flash drive, ipod, another computer etc (can't have too many copies!) Then when you reinstall RMS, you use Store Ops Administrator to create a new database and you point the wizard to your backup and that should be all you really need to do. "JAY (MANOJ) SHARMA" wrote: > i have to reinstall windows and RMS. i need ...

Implemment RMS with QuickBooks
When I configure accounting in Store operations with the followings steps: On the File menu, click Configuration. Click the Accounting tab. In the Accounting software box, select the destination accounting program. And select QuickBooks 2003 and later, I receive this message: "Blank response received from QuickBook"... and when I Want import into QuickBooks I can't because all items finish n error.. "Data was not successfully imported." What I can Do? You have to actually first configure QB, then set up SO for QB, next import your QB data and finally assign th...

Better xsd.exe out there?
xsd.exe is great for generating typed datasets and classes(not so good) but are there better ones out there for .net? Currently xsd.exe seems to be limited in some ways and really can't get around working the resulting classes generated by it. Jiho There is currently no official replacement for xsd.exe, although it would be too nice to have one! Daniel Cazzulino thinks the same way ;) and published some techniques on his blog [0]. I hear he's about it publish more, too ... -- HTH Christoph Schittko [MVP, XmlInsider] Software Architect, .NET Mentor [0] http://weblogs.asp.net/cazz...