What do you use or recommend to backup databases such as in RMS?

I'm looking for recommendations on a good backup system.  Thanks!
0
Mary1 (682)
1/18/2008 10:04:01 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

We backup to a flash drive that can be taken home. We used to backup to CD.
you really dont need a huge backup system for a single store.

==============
"Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for recommendations on a good backup system.  Thanks!

0
maurice1766 (189)
1/18/2008 10:27:27 PM
I'm not that computer literate.  How many gigs do you think I'll need?

"Maurice @ ARS" wrote:

> We backup to a flash drive that can be taken home. We used to backup to CD.
> you really dont need a huge backup system for a single store.
>
> ==============
> "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm looking for recommendations on a good backup system.  Thanks!

0
Mary1 (682)
1/18/2008 11:15:02 PM
Before I answer those questions I would need you to answer these questions.

How many items do you have?
How long have you been running RMS?
What Version RMS?
Do you have a lot of matrix items?
Do you track customers?

I ask this because that will cover and idea of how large your DB might be.

===============
> I'm not that computer literate.  How many gigs do you think I'll need?
>

> "Maurice @ ARS" wrote:
>
>> We backup to a flash drive that can be taken home. We used to backup to
>> CD.
>> you really dont need a huge backup system for a single store.
>>
>> ==============
>> "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm looking for recommendations on a good backup system.  Thanks!

0
maurice1766 (189)
1/18/2008 11:31:57 PM
I'm running on version 2.0.
I've been running it since August 2007.
I have about 1500-2000 items.
I don't have many matrix or lot matrix items.
And I don't track customers.

Thanks.

"Maurice @ ARS" wrote:

> Before I answer those questions I would need you to answer these questions.
>
> How many items do you have?
> How long have you been running RMS?
> What Version RMS?
> Do you have a lot of matrix items?
> Do you track customers?
>
> I ask this because that will cover and idea of how large your DB might be.
>
> ===============
> "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm not that computer literate.  How many gigs do you think I'll need?
> >

> > "Maurice @ ARS" wrote:
> >
> >> We backup to a flash drive that can be taken home. We used to backup to
> >> CD.
> >> you really dont need a huge backup system for a single store.
> >>
> >> ==============
> >> "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Mary1 (682)
1/19/2008 12:26:00 AM
A 2gig Flash drive should work for quite a while. I would assume your DB is
probably less than 100 Megs. If you have any Custom Reports or Labels be
sure to backup the reports and labels DIR once a month to.

Maurice

============
> I'm running on version 2.0.
> I've been running it since August 2007.
> I have about 1500-2000 items.
> I don't have many matrix or lot matrix items.
> And I don't track customers.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Maurice @ ARS" wrote:
>
>> Before I answer those questions I would need you to answer these
>> questions.
>>
>> How many items do you have?
>> How long have you been running RMS?
>> What Version RMS?
>> Do you have a lot of matrix items?
>> Do you track customers?
>>
>> I ask this because that will cover and idea of how large your DB might
>> be.
>>
>> ===============
>> "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm not that computer literate.  How many gigs do you think I'll need?

0
maurice1766 (189)
1/19/2008 12:32:58 AM
Another option is to automate the backup using a .bat file and windows task
scheduler.
Create a seperate .bat file for each day of the week, backup to a directory
on your hard drive and then copy it to an external hard drive or a flash
drive. If you have a network setup you could copy it to another computer on
the network if that works better for you. The advantage of an external drive
is that you can swap it out and take copies home with you to protect in
event of a fire. I don't have the script on me right now, but if you would
like I can post it tomorrow so you can take a look at it. Once you have the
script it's pretty easy to setup and you'll never forget to  backup.  :-)
Craig

"Maurice @ ARS" <maurice@americanretailsupply.com> wrote in message
>A 2gig Flash drive should work for quite a while. I would assume your DB is
>probably less than 100 Megs. If you have any Custom Reports or Labels be
>sure to backup the reports and labels DIR once a month to.
>
> Maurice
>
> ============
> "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running on version 2.0.
>> I've been running it since August 2007.
>> I have about 1500-2000 items.
>> I don't have many matrix or lot matrix items.
>> And I don't track customers.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "Maurice @ ARS" wrote:
>>
>>> Before I answer those questions I would need you to answer these
>>> questions.
>>>
>>> How many items do you have?
>>> How long have you been running RMS?
>>> What Version RMS?
>>> Do you have a lot of matrix items?
>>> Do you track customers?
>>>
>>> I ask this because that will cover and idea of how large your DB might
>>> be.
>>>
>>> ===============
>>> "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
craig6967 (916)
1/19/2008 12:55:05 AM
Thanks you two!!!

"Craig" wrote:

> Another option is to automate the backup using a .bat file and windows task
> scheduler.
> Create a seperate .bat file for each day of the week, backup to a directory
> on your hard drive and then copy it to an external hard drive or a flash
> drive. If you have a network setup you could copy it to another computer on
> the network if that works better for you. The advantage of an external drive
> is that you can swap it out and take copies home with you to protect in
> event of a fire. I don't have the script on me right now, but if you would
> like I can post it tomorrow so you can take a look at it. Once you have the
> script it's pretty easy to setup and you'll never forget to  backup.  :-)
> Craig
>
> "Maurice @ ARS" <maurice@americanretailsupply.com> wrote in message
> >A 2gig Flash drive should work for quite a while. I would assume your DB is
> >probably less than 100 Megs. If you have any Custom Reports or Labels be
> >sure to backup the reports and labels DIR once a month to.
> >
> > Maurice
> >
> > ============
> > "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm running on version 2.0.
> >> I've been running it since August 2007.
> >> I have about 1500-2000 items.
> >> I don't have many matrix or lot matrix items.
> >> And I don't track customers.
> >>
> >> Thanks.

0
Mary1 (682)
1/19/2008 1:56:02 AM
What about encrypting your backup data on your flash drive? So that you
provide due diligence to your customer and business data.
You can also zip/tar your data - the database compresses very well and would
save you alot of space on your flash drive.

> Thanks you two!!!
>

> "Craig" wrote:
>
>> Another option is to automate the backup using a .bat file and windows
>> task
>> scheduler.
>> Create a seperate .bat file for each day of the week, backup to a
>> directory
>> on your hard drive and then copy it to an external hard drive or a flash
>> drive. If you have a network setup you could copy it to another computer
>> on
>> the network if that works better for you. The advantage of an external
>> drive
>> is that you can swap it out and take copies home with you to protect in
>> event of a fire. I don't have the script on me right now, but if you
>> would
>> like I can post it tomorrow so you can take a look at it. Once you have
>> the
>> script it's pretty easy to setup and you'll never forget to  backup.  :-)
>> Craig
>>
>> "Maurice @ ARS" <maurice@americanretailsupply.com> wrote in message
>> >A 2gig Flash drive should work for quite a while. I would assume your DB
>> >is
>> >probably less than 100 Megs. If you have any Custom Reports or Labels be
>> >sure to backup the reports and labels DIR once a month to.
>> >
>> > Maurice
>> >
>> > ============
>> > "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
lane.dj (172)
1/19/2008 5:26:51 PM
I run a batch script daily; this is what I use:
osql -U "USERNAME" -P "PASSWORD" -S "SERVERNAME" -Q "BACKUP DATABASE
"YOURDATABASENAME" TO DISK =3D 's:\current.bck'WITH FORMAT, STATS"

Replace s:\current.bck with wherever you want to store the backup, and
everything in quotes with your own settings (deleting the quotes).
Note that your username and password is your database settings, not
the ones you use to log in to POS and Manager. The default username is
"sa" ; I use an external RAID hard drive, but a flash drive would be
just fine as long as you have a small-ish database.

You can just copy the above to a blank notepad document and save it as
"backup.bat" . I also have a restore script on hand that runs on my
backup register every day so that it stays current. You can set up
this script as a scheduled task to run whenever; I run mine during my
closed hours so it won't interfere with my cashiers (a DOS window
opening up can frighten some employees...)

Wesley Sanders

On Jan 19, 12:26=A0pm, "Danny" <lane...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What about encrypting your backup data on your flash drive? So that you
> provide due diligence to your customer and business data.
> You can also zip/tar your data - the database compresses very well and wou=
ld
> save you alot of space on your flash drive.
>
> "Mary" <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > Thanks you two!!!
>
> > "Craig" wrote:
>
> >> Another option is to automate the backup using a .bat file and windows
> >> task
> >> scheduler.
> >> Create a seperate .bat file for each day of the week, backup to a
> >> directory
> >> on your hard drive and then copy it to an external hard drive or a flas=
> >> drive. If you have a network setup you could copy it to another compute=
> >> on
> >> the network if that works better for you. The advantage of an external
> >> drive
> >> is that you can swap it out and take copies home with you to protect in=

> >> event of a fire. I don't have the script on me right now, but if you
> >> would
> >> like I can post it tomorrow so you can take a look at it. Once you have=

> >> the
> >> script it's pretty easy to setup and you'll never forget to =A0backup. =
=A0:-)
> >> Craig
>
> >> "Maurice @ ARS" <maur...@americanretailsupply.com> wrote in message
DB

------=_NextPart_000_0170_01C85DF2.DFC3F790

Mary,

How much can you afford to lose?

How much time do you want to spend restoring the files and/or Windows.

What we do for our clients is to install a internal, removable hard =
drive (an external drive could work too), and a program called Norton =
Save & Restore or Norton Ghost or Symantec Backup Exec Desktop Edition.  =
The first one is a subset of the other two for which in most cases you =
wouldn't need the extras.

We set it up to do a backup of changed files every hour of the entire =
hard drive on the hour. In addition, we setup a task to backup the RMS =
database(s) every hour on the 45. =20

Every day the backup also backs up the entire hard drive at 2:00 AM

So, at worst case our databases are approx. 50 minutes old as is the =
entire hard drive.

To restore the info, 15-20 minutes to restore the _entire_ hard drive, a =
couple minutes for any file.  A little longer for external drives.

We include 2 of these internal drives and we recommend swapping weekly. =
Each drive has multiple hourly _and_ full backups stored on them, =
depending on the size of the drive.  We use 320 gig. drives as a =
starting point.  Each will hold approximately 2 - 2-1/2 weeks of =
backups.

Total cost is approx. $300.00 for the 2 drives, software and removable =
enclosures

FWIW, our systems also include a RAID 1 mirror that is always writing =
and reading to/from 2 drives too.=20

--=20

Jeff=20
Check Point Software

=3D=3D=3D

newsgroup reader to
follow
newsreader"

http://tinyurl.com/75bgz
=3D=3D=3D

  "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
  I'm looking for recommendations on a good backup system.  Thanks!
------=_NextPart_000_0170_01C85DF2.DFC3F790

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Dutf-8>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16587" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 15px"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Mary,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>How much can you afford to lose?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>How much time do you want to spend restoring =
the files=20
and/or Windows.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>What we do for our clients is to install a =
internal,=20
removable hard drive (an external drive could work too), and a program =
called=20
Norton Save &amp; Restore or Norton Ghost or Symantec Backup Exec =
Desktop=20
Edition.&nbsp; The first one is a subset of the other two for which in =
most=20
cases you wouldn't need the extras.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>We set it up to do a backup of changed files =
every hour=20
of the entire hard drive on the hour. In addition, we setup a task to =
backup the=20
RMS database(s) every hour on the 45.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Every day the backup also backs up the entire =
hard=20
drive at 2:00 AM</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>So, at worst case our databases are approx. =
50 minutes=20
old as is&nbsp;the entire hard drive.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>To restore the info, 15-20 minutes to restore =
the=20
_entire_ hard drive, a couple minutes for any file.&nbsp; A little =
longer for=20
external drives.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>We include 2 of these internal drives and we =
recommend=20
swapping weekly. Each drive&nbsp;has multiple hourly _and_ full backups =
stored=20
on them, depending on the size of the drive.&nbsp; We use 320 gig. =
drives as a=20
starting point.&nbsp; Each will hold approximately 2 - 2-1/2 weeks of=20
backups.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Total cost is approx. $300.00 for the 2 =
drives,=20
software and removable enclosures</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>FWIW, our systems also include a RAID 1 =
mirror that is=20
always writing and reading to/from 2 drives too. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR><BR>Jeff <BR>Check Point Software</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
of=20
you are=20
Express.&nbsp;=20
on the=20
right.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A title=3D"http://tinyurl.com/75bgz&#10;CTRL + Click to follow =
link"=20
<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Mary" &lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:Mary@discussions.microsoft.com&#10;CTRL + Click to =
follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Mary@discussions.microsoft.com">Mary@discussions.microsoft=
..com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:11348AC4-5C80-4D3D-B46B-4594950066FD@microsoft.com">news:113=
48AC4-5C80-4D3D-B46B-4594950066FD@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>I'm=20
  looking for recommendations on a good backup system.&nbsp;=20
Thanks!</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0170_01C85DF2.DFC3F790--

0
cptsoft (1248)

------=_NextPart_000_017F_01C85DF3.3148A660

Hell, buy the 4 gig size for $20 more up front.  That's the entire size =
of a RMS database, if using the SQL that comes with RMS.

--=20

Jeff=20
Check Point Software

=3D=3D=3D

newsgroup reader to
follow
newsreader"

http://tinyurl.com/75bgz
=3D=3D=3D

  "Maurice @ ARS" <maurice@americanretailsupply.com> wrote in message =
  A 2gig Flash drive should work for quite a while. I would assume your =
DB is=20
  probably less than 100 Megs. If you have any Custom Reports or Labels =
be=20

  "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message=20
  > I'm running on version 2.0.
  > I've been running it since August 2007.
  > I have about 1500-2000 items.
  > I don't have many matrix or lot matrix items.
  > And I don't track customers.
  >
  > Thanks.
  >
  > "Maurice @ ARS" wrote:
  >
  >> Before I answer those questions I would need you to answer these=20
  >> questions.
  >>
  >> How many items do you have?
  >> How long have you been running RMS?
  >> What Version RMS?
  >> Do you have a lot of matrix items?
  >> Do you track customers?
  >>
  >> I ask this because that will cover and idea of how large your DB =
might=20
  >> be.
  >>
  >> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
  >> "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
  >> > I'm not that computer literate.  How many gigs do you think I'll =
need?

Thanks!

  >>=20

------=_NextPart_000_017F_01C85DF3.3148A660

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3DWindows-1252>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16587" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 15px"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Hell, buy the 4 gig size for $20 more up =
front.&nbsp;=20
That's the entire size of a RMS database, if using the SQL that comes =
with=20
RMS.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000></FONT><BR>-- <BR><BR>Jeff <BR>Check Point=20
Software</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
of=20
you are=20
Express.&nbsp;=20
on the=20
right.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A=20
<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Maurice @ ARS" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:maurice@americanretailsupply.com">maurice@americanretailsu=
pply.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:u7KE$LjWIHA.5132@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl">news:u7KE$LjWIHA.5132=
@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>A=20
  2gig Flash drive should work for quite a while. I would assume your DB =
is=20
  <BR>probably less than 100 Megs. If you have any Custom Reports or =
Labels be=20
  <BR>sure to backup the reports and labels DIR once a month=20
  =
to.<BR><BR>Maurice<BR><BR>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>"Mary" =
&lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Mary@discussions.microsoft.com">Mary@discussions.microsoft=
..com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"news:8FECDE81-828F-4AD5-8303-9663C1A0BDC3@microsoft.com">news:8FE=
CDE81-828F-4AD5-8303-9663C1A0BDC3@microsoft.com</A>...<BR>&gt;=20
  I'm running on version 2.0.<BR>&gt; I've been running it since August=20
  2007.<BR>&gt; I have about 1500-2000 items.<BR>&gt; I don't have many =
matrix=20
  or lot matrix items.<BR>&gt; And I don't track =
customers.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
  Thanks.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; "Maurice @ ARS" wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; =
Before I=20
  answer those questions I would need you to answer these <BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  questions.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; How many items do you =
have?<BR>&gt;&gt; How=20
  long have you been running RMS?<BR>&gt;&gt; What Version =
RMS?<BR>&gt;&gt; Do=20
  you have a lot of matrix items?<BR>&gt;&gt; Do you track=20
  customers?<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; I ask this because that will cover =
and idea=20
  of how large your DB might <BR>&gt;&gt; be.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>&gt;&gt; "Mary" =
&lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Mary@discussions.microsoft.com">Mary@discussions.microsoft=
..com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message<BR>&gt;&gt; <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:9267656E-195B-4D7C-AE56-1F8355F2C6FC@microsoft.com">news:926=
7656E-195B-4D7C-AE56-1F8355F2C6FC@microsoft.com</A>...<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  &gt; I'm not that computer literate.&nbsp; How many gigs do you think =
I'll=20
  need?<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; "Maurice @ =
ARS"=20
  wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; We backup to a flash =
drive that=20
  can be taken home. We used to backup <BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; =
to<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  &gt;&gt; CD.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; you really dont need a huge backup =
system=20
  for a single store.<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;=20
  =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; "Mary" =
&lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Mary@discussions.microsoft.com">Mary@discussions.microsoft=
..com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:11348AC4-5C80-4D3D-B46B-4594950066FD@microsoft.com">news:113=
48AC4-5C80-4D3D-B46B-4594950066FD@microsoft.com</A>...<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  &gt;&gt; &gt; I'm looking for recommendations on a good backup =
system.&nbsp;=20
  Thanks!<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; =
<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_017F_01C85DF3.3148A660--

0
cptsoft (1248)
1/24/2008 3:07:26 AM
Dear Wesley et al,

This is exactly what I need.  I am sooo close but the script, as I've
interepreted is falling over.  This is the error that I get:

C:\>osql -U XX -P XXXX -S XXXXXXXXX -Q "BACKUP DATABASE 100_XXXXXX TO
DISK = 'C:\current.bck'WITH FORMAT, STATS"
Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Server XXXXXXXXX, Line 1
Incorrect syntax near '100'.
Msg 319, Level 15, State 1, Server XXXXXXXXX, Line 1
Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'with'. If this statement is a common
table
expression or an xmlnamespaces clause, the previous statement must be
terminated with a semicolon.

Any help pointing out what I've done wrong would be appreciated.

The script is as follows:

osql -U XX -P XXXX -S XXXXXXXXX -Q "BACKUP DATABASE 100_XXXXX TO DISK =
'e:\current.bck'WITH FORMAT, STATS"

Ryan

Wesley Sanders wrote:
> I run a batch script daily; this is what I use:
> osql -U "USERNAME" -P "PASSWORD" -S "SERVERNAME" -Q "BACKUP DATABASE
> "YOURDATABASENAME" TO DISK = 's:\current.bck'WITH FORMAT, STATS"
>
> Replace s:\current.bck with wherever you want to store the backup, and
> everything in quotes with your own settings (deleting the quotes).
> Note that your username and password is your database settings, not
> the ones you use to log in to POS and Manager. The default username is
> "sa" ; I use an external RAID hard drive, but a flash drive would be
> just fine as long as you have a small-ish database.
>
> You can just copy the above to a blank notepad document and save it as
> "backup.bat" . I also have a restore script on hand that runs on my
> backup register every day so that it stays current. You can set up
> this script as a scheduled task to run whenever; I run mine during my
> closed hours so it won't interfere with my cashiers (a DOS window
> opening up can frighten some employees...)
>
> Wesley Sanders
>
> On Jan 19, 12:26 pm, "Danny" <lane...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What about encrypting your backup data on your flash drive? So that you
>> provide due diligence to your customer and business data.
>> You can also zip/tar your data - the database compresses very well and would
>> save you alot of space on your flash drive.
>>
>> "Mary" <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Thanks you two!!!

ryan5163 (13)
1/24/2008 6:53:47 AM
Just an update on my earlier question, changing the name of my database
to not include an _ (underscore) would seem to have solved the problem.

I now have backups running beeeeeeautifully.

So thank you for the person that originally supplied the script.

Ryan

Ryan Faught wrote:
> Dear Wesley et al,
>
> This is exactly what I need.  I am sooo close but the script, as I've
> interepreted is falling over.  This is the error that I get:
>
> C:\>osql -U XX -P XXXX -S XXXXXXXXX -Q "BACKUP DATABASE 100_XXXXXX TO
> DISK = 'C:\current.bck'WITH FORMAT, STATS"
> Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Server XXXXXXXXX, Line 1
> Incorrect syntax near '100'.
> Msg 319, Level 15, State 1, Server XXXXXXXXX, Line 1
> Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'with'. If this statement is a common
> table
> expression or an xmlnamespaces clause, the previous statement must be
> terminated with a semicolon.
>
> Any help pointing out what I've done wrong would be appreciated.
>
> The script is as follows:
>
> osql -U XX -P XXXX -S XXXXXXXXX -Q "BACKUP DATABASE 100_XXXXX TO DISK =
> 'e:\current.bck'WITH FORMAT, STATS"
>
> Ryan
>

> Wesley Sanders wrote:
>> I run a batch script daily; this is what I use:
>> osql -U "USERNAME" -P "PASSWORD" -S "SERVERNAME" -Q "BACKUP DATABASE
>> "YOURDATABASENAME" TO DISK = 's:\current.bck'WITH FORMAT, STATS"
>>
>> Replace s:\current.bck with wherever you want to store the backup, and
>> everything in quotes with your own settings (deleting the quotes).
>> Note that your username and password is your database settings, not
>> the ones you use to log in to POS and Manager. The default username is
>> "sa" ; I use an external RAID hard drive, but a flash drive would be
>> just fine as long as you have a small-ish database.
>>
>> You can just copy the above to a blank notepad document and save it as
>> "backup.bat" . I also have a restore script on hand that runs on my
>> backup register every day so that it stays current. You can set up
>> this script as a scheduled task to run whenever; I run mine during my
>> closed hours so it won't interfere with my cashiers (a DOS window
>> opening up can frighten some employees...)
>>
>> Wesley Sanders
>>
>> On Jan 19, 12:26 pm, "Danny" <lane...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What about encrypting your backup data on your flash drive? So that you
>>> provide due diligence to your customer and business data.
>>> You can also zip/tar your data - the database compresses very well
>>> and would
>>> save you alot of space on your flash drive.
>>>
>>> "Mary" <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ryan5163 (13)

Whats the best web based store for integrating with RMS?
Hi, in the past monts I opened a topic about RMS integration with yahoo stores... and i found that fully integration is not a reality at this moment. What other web based stores can be integrated easily or fully or at least well integrated with RMS? (im planning to purchase the QH for RMS too) Thanks Hello Aldo! We have quite a few carts that will work with Microsoft RMS. Our Web Integrator: Professional is quite robust with its feature set, and affordably priced. http://www.newestech.com/POS/RMS/eCommerce/Professional.htm http://www.newestech.com/POS/RMS/eCommerce/Web%20Integrator...

Point of Sale database
I need to (very quickly) create a program that is user friendly that would be used by a small corner store to track sales/inventory/expenses/employees/etc. the main issue is it need to track every sale by the employee entering (by combo boxes) categories then choosing the product and then that would bring up the price and a quanity box. The employee would enter all the products for each sale and would get a running total for each client. Once the sale is complete it would update the inventory to subtract the quantities sold. Other ideas is to be able to have promotion prices ...

How to use a DLL!?
Hi all, according with your experince: 1. I'm exporting class functions from DLL instead of global function, is there something i've to check!? 2. I need to run a DLL func in a separate thread, at moment the app create the thread and exec this func. I actually prefer the DLL to start the thread, any problems doing so!? Thanks you all!! Ale ...

No results using DateDiff
I am working with DateDiff . I get no error messages but also do not get any results in my calculated field. I have two dates, START_DATE and END_DATE and I need to know the number of days between them. START_DATE and END_DATE are both Date/Time type with a Short Date format. I am working in the QBE grid to write the query. I select an empty column and put my DateDiff calculation on the line below Or: in the Criteria area. I have tried: [END_DATE]-[START_DATE] and DateDiff("d",[START_DATE],[STOP_DATE]) Both approaches ask for parameter values for Time and STOP_DATE. If I d...

How to create web-based reports from RMS database.
The reports available in RMS is not specific enough for my apparel retail store. I need sell the through rate, average sale, sales/sf, return rate, discount analysis, all broken down by date, week, month, year, category, supplier, and then compare against last year's numbers. I want to create my own web-based reports accessing RMS's SQL database. Does anyone have a template of data access web page so all I have to do is change the SQL statement in getting to the right database table? mas wrote: > The reports available in RMS is not specific enough for my apparel retail > ...

Vista and RMS.
I am running Vista Ulitame 32 bit and RMS 2.0.0116. My question is has anyone been able to get an ingenico i6550 USB to work with this settings? Thanks -- Steve Are you using a Vista compatible OPOS for the ingenicco? "Steven @ S&S Tire Service" <StevenSSTireService@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E558D34-1EA8-4F04-ABA2-8567AC53B419@microsoft.com... >I am running Vista Ulitame 32 bit and RMS 2.0.0116. > My question is has anyone been able to get an ingenico i6550 USB to work > with this settings? > Thanks > -- > Steve I don'...

Transfer Files Using VBA
Hi, I'd like to transfer files from several drives on my pc to one cetnral location. From A:\Office1\ B:\Office2\ C:\Office3\ To D:\HeadQuarters\ My routine now is the following 1) Copy the files from drives: A, B, and C; and then 2) Paste the filesto the D drive 3) Delete the files permanently from drives A, B, and C. As you see this is a tedious routine, which I'd liket o avoid by using VBA. Can someone start me off with some code on how to accomplish this. Thanks so much in advance! Jrew Jrew, You could create a batch file (from the olden days) using XCOPY and desired bel...

How to use excel file created in version earlier than 4.0a in 4.0
Thanks to whomever answered my query but when I opened the email the screen was blank. My laptop is sick. My question was and still is, how can I use my Excel files created in a recent version on my laptop in my PC which is loaded only with Excel 4.0a . Please and thanks. -- Thanks, Ajimmo Hi Ajimmo You can't, the file format changes twice since version 4. You need a newer Excel version, a compatible spreadsheet program, or simply a viewer if all you want to do is view / print the file. HTH. Best wishes Harald "ajimmo" <ajimmo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i m...

Issue when using Outlook 2003 on Exchange 5.5 SP4
Hi! I have seen issues on using Outlook 2003 on MS Exchange 5.5 SP4. Can anyone guide me on how to handle this? M P What issues have you seen? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "M P" <mark@textguru.ph> wrote in message news:eoqSaBjTGHA.5884@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi! > > I have seen issues on using Outlook 2003 on MS Exchange 5.5 SP4. Can > anyone guide me on how to handle this? > > M P > It was pretty easy for me to find this in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft...

Use of subkeys in SetRegistryKey
The following code causes ini settings to be stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Company\Product Group\<application name> \<section name>\<value name> SetRegistryKey("Company\\Product Group"); This is what I want it to do, but there is nothing in the documentation to say that this should work. Is this unsupported behaviour that may not work in future windows versions or supported but undocumented behaviour? Thanks <dimstthomas@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1190714009.923549.98910@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > The following code causes ini sett...

'Recently used file' list.
When I open Excel nine filenames appear on the RHS as 'recently used files' (this number was set via Tools/Options/General, of course). In the middle of this list are 3 no-longer-used files. Though the files themselves have been deleted their names remain in this list. Is there an easy way to remove those entries from that list, please? TIA, DB. There is an entry in the help file "Display or hide recently used workbooks on the File menu" which says uncheck the 'recently used files' checkbox, the click OK. Then, basically, start again. "DB.&...

Exchange no longer available
Courtesy of Katrina, my brother-in-law's job and Exchange server are no more. He knows he has personal folders and contacts on his laptop, but Outlook choles on not connecting to Exchange and won't let him see the local stuff either. How does one tell Outlook not to try to connect to Exchange and instead use the local pst file? It might be easier to create a new profile and then use File Open to access the personal folder file, you create a new profile in Control Panel || Mail <philmcin@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1126736961.961262.92120@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... ...

Using Outlook with a VPN
Yesterday i set up a VPN so as to allow our employees to work from home, today one of the employees highlighted a problem with it though. When connected through the vpn, they are unable to access their Outlook emailand insted have to disconnect and then access through a normal dial-up. Any thoughts? Many Thanks Try this. When you get the VPN login screen, choose Properties. On the Options tab, check the box next to Include Windows logon Domain. That helped me. Bob >-----Original Message----- >Yesterday i set up a VPN so as to allow our employees to >work f...

Frustrated Beyond Measure
I loved Money 2005, recommended it to friends and got 2 great years of use out of it. Then, it forced me to upgrade to continue online services. I didn't mind since it was only $40 and I got two good years out of it. However, Money Plus Deluxe has been a nuisance. I have never gotten portfolio manager to work. I spent 2 weeks sending emails with support where the guy eventually said "if this doesn't work, I can't help you." Great... shoudl I go buy Quicken? This weekend, I decided to try to completely uninstall Money and try a reinstall to get Portfolio Manag...

How to retrieve thresholds from the database
Hi All, I use KPI images to display based on some thresholds. Currently most of the thresholds I am managing with hardcoded constants in the expressions. I want to store the thresholds in a SQL database and I want the expression to the KPI image to retrieve the threshold for the KPI from the database can you please share ideas and code for the expression to implement this. Thanks Karen ...

will RMS 2.0 work with Windows 7
Has anyone tried using RMS 2.0 with Windows 7? What version RMS are you using? Yes 2.0.0126 -- Maurice Gordon Maurice@americanretailsupply.com Sales/Support 1-800-426-5708 XT 1307 "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E0D2035-1FB0-497E-8F73-AF5FDA947E64@microsoft.com... > Has anyone tried using RMS 2.0 with Windows 7? What version RMS are you > using? Hi Larry, RMS 2.0 SP2 working fine with windows 7 Vijay "Larry" wrote: > Has anyone tried using RMS 2.0 with Windows 7? What version RMS ar...

how do I find a list of databases with correpsponding company name
Hello, I need to know how in GP to pull up a list of our companies with their corresponding SQL database names. I've done this a long time ago and remember it being easy but cannot remember where to do this. SELECT INTERID, CMPNYNAM FROM DYNAMICS..SY01500 "Tim Quiggle" <Tim Quiggle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0ECF5C5-74F9-494E-8C2E-B37EE12C8D0C@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I need to know how in GP to pull up a list of our companies with their > corresponding SQL database names. I've done this a long time ago and > rem...

Solution: Error 2306: There are too many rows to output (Access to Excel using OutputTo)
I've joined the legions who've encountered this problem with the OutputTo method in Access: Run-time error 2306 There are too many rows to output, based on the limitation specified by the output format or by Microsoft Access A lot of people seem to have encountered it. The reason is because OutputTo defaults to an old version of Excel which only allows 16K rows A lot of people also suggest using TransferSpreadsheet instead, but that caused me a lot more problems (putting a single quote in front of my text data) Intellisense for the command does not list what your options are for th...

How do I link one database inside another?
I am wanting to be able to click on a button in one database and open another database. Thanks. Why? As in "why open a separate database?" Would it be sufficient to have the tables from both databases linked into a common front-end file? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "julrankay" <julrankay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6DEF9FE-C983-4503-BCD8-75FF0354A533@microsoft.com... > I am wanting to be able to click on a button in one database and open > another database. Thanks. > if you used Access Data Projects then...

having problems using performanceCouter
hi, i've made a program that shows the CPU idle time using the performance counter, using Visual C# . however, from some reason, it works on any computer other than my home PC . i've searched on the net but couldn't find what causes it. what i get is an exception that if is not caught, closes the program. here's a picture of what i get while debugging: http://img294.yfrog.com/i/picture20091211182403.png/ what i think is that maybe some service of windows (that the performance counter needs) doesn't work well(or is just disabled) . my computer runs on Windo...

Using Jet to read excel file returns blank for last cell
With VB6 I am opening an Excel file to query the contents using ADO. I am then using the contents of the worksheet to create a format file that is used for a bulk insert into SQL Server. We designed the program this way so that users can use a spreadsheet to import data in any format they want and process the data based on values set in the spreadsheet. This keeps us from having to design new tables and format files for new record layouts which come down pretty often. Everything works fine usually. There is just one perculiarity that is happening with the Excel file. Sometimes, th...

using screen...
Hi, I have problem with the query in the cascade combobox when the form name change. Is there a way to replace the following using screen.activeform [Forms]![frmCoFundReview]![Partner] => screen.activeform.[Partner] ? SF Not that I know. You could use a separate query for each form. Each query would have the correct form name for the combo box. Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia "SF" <samnangs@pactcambodia.org> wrote in message news:u%23z%23g6iyKHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have probl...

HELP! Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Proxy is not intended for direct use, please use the public SDK.
Can someone post the following DLL's from CRM 1.2? They should be on the installation CD. If you want to e-mail send to robert[at] ockhamgroup.com Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Proxy.dll (1.2.3297.0) Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Types.dll (1.2.3297.0) Details... I'm attempting the following solution: Moving External Data into Microsoft CRM: Lead Generation http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms913871.aspx http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/4/5/e45c4994-6878-4871- 8699-6793b8f13c34/leadgeneration.exe What I need is either: 1. a working compiled LeadGenerator.exe executable; o...

In Word how to use Outlook, Excel
I am using Word 2007. How can I access Outlook contacts or Excel documents from Word -- Thank you in advance for your support and suggestions To access Outlook contacts, Outlook must be your default e-mail application in Windows. You can then use Insert Address (which you can add to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) . What is it that you want to access from Excel? If you need to look something up in Excel and enter it into a document, you will need a macro. You can however use edit paste special to insert Excel cells copied to the clipboard. -- <>>< ><<...

database question / feedback needed (GP8
Hello Everybody. We sold one of our companies, and the new owners are moving off Great Plains. They are transferring/rebuilding data in their new software on their own. For historical (GP) data, they have purchased some software to perform queries, and have requested I give them the data. I am planning to send a backup of the SQL Company dbase. They would not have a GP client, and would not be performing transactions - so I believe they really just want to access the various history tables. I prefer not to send the Dynamics dbase if I don't have to (passwords, etc). I guess my ques...