Upgrade to POS 2.0, or downgrade to XP? Cheaper option?

I have been using POS 1.0 for several months now, and purchased a second
computer to use as a backup.  What I wanted was a turnkey backup station
which could be turned on in an instant if my primary POS crashed - thus I
needed a second license for POS.  So I bought one assuming that it would work
with my new machine, but it turns out that MSDE is required for POS 1.0, and
SQL2005 is the only server Vista supports (my new machine came with Vista
Basic, so I bought an upgrade to Business).  So from what I understand, I
have two options.  Either:
1) Upgrade my POS software to POS 2.0 twice.  (I would need to upgrade both
licenses, since I want the machines to be functionally identical.)

or

2) Downgrade the OS on my new machine to XP.

Does anyone know which of these two options would be cheaper?  Buying XP Pro
is still ~$200, but I don't know anything about the cost of upgrading POS.
Does MS have any discounted upgrade path, or do I simply need to re-purchase
POS?  If that's the case, upgrading both machines would cost ~$1200 (I think
POS 2.0 runs about $600, but I could be mistaken).

Any info would be appreciated.
0
TimSkoch (1)
6/5/2007 1:10:02 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

------=_NextPart_000_016E_01C7A885.D720B470

Tim,

It doesn't sound like you are on the Maintenance plan, but here's really =
your only option.

Purchase the Maintenance plan for your 1.0 product for $145 to upgrade =
to 2.0 and purchase another copy of MSPOS 2.0 at whatever price you =
find.  Maintenance is still optional on the second copy, but recommend =
you purchase that also.

The  Maintenance plan gives you all updates to the program for the year, =
access to CustomerSource and reduced support rates for MS Support. For =
more info; http://tinyurl.com/27r5x9

Upgrade your existing 1.0 program to 2.0 and you're done.

BTW, the _newly purchased_ 2.0 product includes 30 days of free MS =
support and a copy of Office Accounting Professional 2007, if purchased =
before 06/30/07.

--=20

Jeff=20
Check Point Software

=3D=3D=3D

newsgroup reader to
follow
newsreader"

http://tinyurl.com/75bgz
=3D=3D=3D

  "Tim Skoch" <TimSkoch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
  I have been using POS 1.0 for several months now, and purchased a =
second=20
  computer to use as a backup.  What I wanted was a turnkey backup =
station=20
  which could be turned on in an instant if my primary POS crashed - =
thus I=20
  needed a second license for POS.  So I bought one assuming that it =
would work=20
  with my new machine, but it turns out that MSDE is required for POS =
1.0, and=20
  SQL2005 is the only server Vista supports (my new machine came with =
Vista=20
  Basic, so I bought an upgrade to Business).  So from what I =
understand, I=20
  have two options.  Either:
  1) Upgrade my POS software to POS 2.0 twice.  (I would need to upgrade =
both=20
  licenses, since I want the machines to be functionally identical.)

  or

  2) Downgrade the OS on my new machine to XP.

  Does anyone know which of these two options would be cheaper?  Buying =
XP Pro=20
  is still ~$200, but I don't know anything about the cost of upgrading =
POS. =20
  Does MS have any discounted upgrade path, or do I simply need to =
re-purchase=20
  POS?  If that's the case, upgrading both machines would cost ~$1200 (I =
think=20
  POS 2.0 runs about $600, but I could be mistaken).

  Any info would be appreciated.
------=_NextPart_000_016E_01C7A885.D720B470

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Tim,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>It doesn't sound like you are on the =
Maintenance plan,=20
but here's really your only option.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Purchase the Maintenance plan for your 1.0 =
product for=20
$145 to upgrade to 2.0 and purchase another copy of MSPOS 2.0 at =
whatever price=20
you find.&nbsp; Maintenance is still optional on the second copy, but =
recommend=20
you purchase that also.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>The&nbsp; Maintenance plan gives you all =
updates to the=20
program for the year, access to CustomerSource and reduced support rates =
for MS=20
Support. For more info; <A=20
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/27r5x9">http://tinyurl.com/27r5x9</A></FONT></=

<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Upgrade your existing 1.0 program to 2.0 and =
you're=20
done.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>BTW, the _newly purchased_ 2.0 product =
includes 30 days=20
of free MS support and a copy of Office Accounting Professional 2007, if =

purchased before 06/30/07.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000></FONT><BR>-- <BR><BR>Jeff <BR>Check Point=20
Software</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
of=20
you are=20
Express.&nbsp;=20
on the=20
right.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A=20
<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Tim Skoch" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:TimSkoch@discussions.microsoft.com">TimSkoch@discussions.m=
icrosoft.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:59F1E646-9CF2-45F1-BFE5-A60B246DF107@microsoft.com">news:59F=
1E646-9CF2-45F1-BFE5-A60B246DF107@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>I=20
  have been using POS 1.0 for several months now, and purchased a second =

  <BR>computer to use as a backup.&nbsp; What I wanted was a turnkey =
backup=20
  station <BR>which could be turned on in an instant if my primary POS =
crashed -=20
  thus I <BR>needed a second license for POS.&nbsp; So I bought one =
assuming=20
  that it would work <BR>with my new machine, but it turns out that MSDE =
is=20
  required for POS 1.0, and <BR>SQL2005 is the only server Vista =
supports (my=20
  new machine came with Vista <BR>Basic, so I bought an upgrade to=20
  Business).&nbsp; So from what I understand, I <BR>have two =
options.&nbsp;=20
  Either:<BR>1) Upgrade my POS software to POS 2.0 twice.&nbsp; (I would =
need to=20
  upgrade both <BR>licenses, since I want the machines to be =
functionally=20
  identical.)<BR><BR>or<BR><BR>2) Downgrade the OS on my new machine to=20
  XP.<BR><BR>Does anyone know which of these two options would be =
cheaper?&nbsp;=20
  Buying XP Pro <BR>is still ~$200, but I don't know anything about the =
cost of=20
  upgrading POS.&nbsp; <BR>Does MS have any discounted upgrade path, or =
do I=20
  simply need to re-purchase <BR>POS?&nbsp; If that's the case, =
upgrading both=20
  machines would cost ~$1200 (I think <BR>POS 2.0 runs about $600, but I =
could=20
  be mistaken).<BR><BR>Any info would be =
appreciated.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_016E_01C7A885.D720B470--

0
cptsoft (1248)
6/7/2007 4:58:39 AM
HI Tim, I can see that Microsoft might not have upgrade path as this product
is belongs to Retail Releam and so much tight kind of rules they have,
however if you have already upgrade or service plan for the POS 1.0 you must
have also got the upgrade to 2.0 if you don't then you re-purcahse the whole
license.

"Tim Skoch" wrote:

> I have been using POS 1.0 for several months now, and purchased a second
> computer to use as a backup.  What I wanted was a turnkey backup station
> which could be turned on in an instant if my primary POS crashed - thus I
> needed a second license for POS.  So I bought one assuming that it would work
> with my new machine, but it turns out that MSDE is required for POS 1.0, and
> SQL2005 is the only server Vista supports (my new machine came with Vista
> Basic, so I bought an upgrade to Business).  So from what I understand, I
> have two options.  Either:
> 1) Upgrade my POS software to POS 2.0 twice.  (I would need to upgrade both
> licenses, since I want the machines to be functionally identical.)
>
> or
>
> 2) Downgrade the OS on my new machine to XP.
>
> Does anyone know which of these two options would be cheaper?  Buying XP Pro
> is still ~$200, but I don't know anything about the cost of upgrading POS.
> Does MS have any discounted upgrade path, or do I simply need to re-purchase
> POS?  If that's the case, upgrading both machines would cost ~$1200 (I think
> POS 2.0 runs about $600, but I could be mistaken).
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
0
AkberAlwani (916)

Why XP style not appeared?
I write a IE Band ( A DLL. )like googlebar. I set the RT_MANIFEST and rewrite the resource ID = 2. #define IDR_RT_MANIFEST1 2 Why XP style not appeared? but googlebar has. // this is my stdafx.h #ifndef WINVER // #define WINVER 0x0400 // #endif #ifndef _WIN32_WINNT // #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0400 // #endif #ifndef _WIN32_WINDOWS // #define _WIN32_WINDOWS 0x0410 #endif #ifndef _WIN32_IE // #define _WIN32_IE 0x0501 // #endif build environment: VS2003 + XP SP2 + IE6 thanks ! ...

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Showing 0 after decimal with ROUND

VB Macro #2

VCR to DVD Part 2

set print area #2

Upgrading from Money 99 to 2004
Is it worth upgrading from Money 99 to Money 2004. I have several years of complete financial data in my Money 99 program. Just wondering if it is worth the cost and hassel to upgrade. Is the upgrade path (conversion) from Money 99 to Money 2004 pretty easy. Thanks in advance for any replys and help. Regards, Richard Well, your mileage may vary on it. Some people like 2004, others don't. I'd always recommend the trial before you buy though. You can get an idea of what's in the latest version, whether it's suitable for you etc. 2004 should just convert a 99 file, assu...

OEM publisher 2002 Sp1-2

Is Outlook 2000 compatiple with Windows XP Home?
It seems to be having problems if it is... something like Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? Hi, I have Outlook 2000 installed on my XP Home machine and it works fine. >-----Original Message----- >It seems to be having problems if it is... something like >Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand >the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? >. > Rod <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > It seems to be having problems if it is... something...

Install ActiveX on Windows XP / IE8
Hi, I created a non-admin installation package to take advantage of the new IE8 features to deploy my ActiveX control. It works perfectly on Windows Vista+ but not on Windows XP (the yellow bar is never displayed). Here is the content of my INF file: [version] signature="$CHICAGO$" AdvancedINF=2.0 [Add.Code] DbCtrlEx.ocx=DbCtrlEx.ocx [Deployment] InstallScope=user [DbCtrlEx.ocx] file-win32-x86=thiscab clsid={97012969-FEFB-4F8F-A03C-67F83D139E8F} RegisterServer=yes FileVersion=1,0,0,1 RedirectToHKCU=yes If I remove the Deployment section it works...

How can I print on 8 1/2"x17" paper?

Are Office XP fonts freeware?
I want to learn about copyright issue of "Office XP standart fonts" or any web address explains. Can i use one, in logo design? serdar wrote: > I want to learn about copyright issue of "Office XP standart fonts" or any > web address explains. Can i use one, in logo design? > > Why is this an Excel question? If you look at the fonts in the Windows fonts directory, usually c:\windows\fonts, you'll see that most of them are copyrighted. I suggest you do a Google or other search for freeware fonts. You should find some items that way. That said, yo...

Money Updates #2

Can't create the item #2

mysession & deleting a line item on the pos screen
I want to automatically have my dll delete a line on the pos screen. So I have tried to do a myssion.transaction.entries(1).Delete and other sorts of things. Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this? Thanks in advance for any help on this. Hi, Use code like this: For Each item In mysession.Transaction.entries If FindItem(item.item.id, item.quantity, item.item.description) Then mysession.Transaction.entries.remove(item) End If Next "ClothingStore" wrote: > I want to automatically have my dll delete a line on the pos screen. ...

upgrading from Access 97 to Access 2007
I designed a database (forms, reports, et al) several years ago in Access 97 and it continues to work well. I've just received a MS Office Professional 2007 and wonder if it is time to migrate my data into the new program. I've attempted two or three times to do this in Access 2002 and I keep getting error messages along the line of "...corrupted file..cannot be opened by Access 2002 (or some such message)..." The help radio button opens up a box which suggests I do some programming in Virtual Basic to perform my transfer task. The easy way out, of course, is to sti...