To understand developing Hooks for RMS

I would like the experts of this newsgroup to give me a general understanding
of RMS regarding developing Hooks.

Beside general info, maybe some simple example of an integration.

I have several links and documents, but I still don't grasp the idea of Hooks.

I have a project that Hooks are invoved and would like to start as soon as
possible.
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Great idea...

Dj

"Jessica B. Strong" <jessica1985brianna@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like the experts of this newsgroup to give me a general
>understanding
> of RMS regarding developing Hooks.
>
> Beside general info, maybe some simple example of an integration.
>
> I have several links and documents, but I still don't grasp the idea of
> Hooks.
>
> I have a project that Hooks are invoved and would like to start as soon as
> possible.

0
Dan
9/8/2010 6:48:21 PM
Was that sacrcastic?

I am new to this and being Microsoft I assumed that the forum is very
helpful.  I hope I get some assistance.

Jessica

"Dan-902" wrote:

> Great idea...
>
> Dj
>
> "Jessica B. Strong" <jessica1985brianna@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I would like the experts of this newsgroup to give me a general
> >understanding
> > of RMS regarding developing Hooks.
> >
> > Beside general info, maybe some simple example of an integration.
> >
> > I have several links and documents, but I still don't grasp the idea of
> > Hooks.
> >
> > I have a project that Hooks are invoved and would like to start as soon as
> > possible.
>
> .

Jessica - the RMS Customization Guide is made available only to RMS partners.
 Generally speaking, Hooks are similar to triggers in SQL, where they fire
when a certain event takes place say at the POS register.  There are
different types of events that can trigger a hook, such as adding an item to
the sale, or selecting the tender screen.  If you are familiar with
programming concepts, and have a good understanding of, and can convey
clearly, your requirements for your project, I would recommend that you
engage an RMS partner experienced in writing customizations for RMS.  This
may not be the answer you are looking for - but I hope it helps you....

"Jessica B. Strong" wrote:

> I would like the experts of this newsgroup to give me a general understanding
> of RMS regarding developing Hooks.
>
> Beside general info, maybe some simple example of an integration.
>
> I have several links and documents, but I still don't grasp the idea of Hooks.
>
> I have a project that Hooks are invoved and would like to start as soon as
> possible.
No - I would also like to built my own add-on. Trying to support you.

This newsgroup is great in most areas - but with regards to sharing how to
do add-on  - it appears not to be the case.

DJ
"Jessica B. Strong" <jessica1985brianna@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like the experts of this newsgroup to give me a general
>understanding
> of RMS regarding developing Hooks.
>
> Beside general info, maybe some simple example of an integration.
>
> I have several links and documents, but I still don't grasp the idea of
> Hooks.
>
> I have a project that Hooks are invoved and would like to start as soon as
> possible.

0
Dan
9/11/2010 12:02:39 AM
Dan,

I'm just an end user so I could care less if you get the info you're looking
for. But why would you expect someone who makes their living using that info
to teach you how to do their job, making them irrelevant? This group is for
questions on how to setup, maintain, and optimize RMS for you business.
Getting info on how to write customizations is out of the scope of the
group, and in my mind it is pretty lame to bad mouth the same people you
were just asking for help from. If you want to write customs for RMS go
through the procedures to become a partner and you'll get access to all the
info you need, including the appropriate newsgroup, the one for partners to
help partners.

I am EXTREMELY thankful to guys like convoluted that have taken the time to
help me, and others, extensively through the years. Many things they have
helped me with I would have never been able to do myself, such as queries
that have made my life with RMS a lot easier. They have no reason, other
than the goodness of their heart, to share their knowledge with us. Be
thankful these guys are here, and willing to help with anything they can,
rather than insulting them for not sharing the things they wish to keep
proprietary. In my business I will give my paying customers the shirt off my
back if it will help them. The ones that come in just looking for a handout
still get help for the basic things, but I only give the most important
info, the info that makes me relevant to them, to my paying customers. That
is what puts bread on the table for my family.

I'm sure if you hired Convoluted, or another partner, as a consultant, you
will get the info you are looking for.

Craig

"Dan-902" <alias@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No - I would also like to built my own add-on. Trying to support you.
>
> This newsgroup is great in most areas - but with regards to sharing how to
> do add-on  - it appears not to be the case.
>
> DJ
> "Jessica B. Strong" <jessica1985brianna@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I would like the experts of this newsgroup to give me a general
>>understanding
>> of RMS regarding developing Hooks.
>>
>> Beside general info, maybe some simple example of an integration.
>>
>> I have several links and documents, but I still don't grasp the idea of
>> Hooks.
>>
>> I have a project that Hooks are invoved and would like to start as soon
>> as
>> possible.

0
Craig
9/11/2010 3:01:47 PM
You can develop your own hooks in language of your choice, but you need the
roadmap of the qsrules.dll library.  This info is in the customization guide
that your MS partner will need to share with you.  If you are not paying for
a support partner then you need to hire one of the partners that visit this
forum to help you.

> Was that sacrcastic?
>
> I am new to this and being Microsoft I assumed that the forum is very
> helpful.  I hope I get some assistance.
>
> Jessica
>

> "Dan-902" wrote:
>
>> Great idea...
>>
>> Dj
>>
>> "Jessica B. Strong" <jessica1985brianna@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I would like the experts of this newsgroup to give me a general
>> >understanding
>> > of RMS regarding developing Hooks.
>> >
>> > Beside general info, maybe some simple example of an integration.
>> >
>> > I have several links and documents, but I still don't grasp the idea of
>> > Hooks.
>> >
>> > I have a project that Hooks are invoved and would like to start as soon
>> > as
>> > possible.
>>
>> .

0
Matt
9/11/2010 6:57:24 PM
Craig

Wow - I would cut down on the coffee.

I am always thankful and appreciative to many of our generous contributors
on this forum and don't bad mouth them - in fact I am very grateful. I just
find RMS very closed source - I can find out how to do macro's in Excel or
Word, and get information on doing modification on numerous other software
products but not RMS.

Why? <<Getting info on how to write customizations is out of the scope of
the group>>

You can get help on sql queries, modifying reports, with setups questions,
etc... all things RMS partners do to earn a living, just like add-ons... I
have found that actually many of the partners don't do add-on except for a
select few.

Perhaps if I had Convoluted,  Jeff(at)checkpoint, Matt, Akber, Afshin or
others (sorry I can't list everyone) that really make this forum as a
partner I would not have problems getting the information I am seeking.

Dan

"Craig Wood" <fishhead1992@netzero.net> wrote in message
> Dan,
>
> I'm just an end user so I could care less if you get the info you're
> looking for. But why would you expect someone who makes their living using
> that info to teach you how to do their job, making them irrelevant? This
> group is for questions on how to setup, maintain, and optimize RMS for you
> business. Getting info on how to write customizations is out of the scope
> of the group, and in my mind it is pretty lame to bad mouth the same
> people you were just asking for help from. If you want to write customs
> for RMS go through the procedures to become a partner and you'll get
> access to all the info you need, including the appropriate newsgroup, the
> one for partners to help partners.
>
> I am EXTREMELY thankful to guys like convoluted that have taken the time
> to help me, and others, extensively through the years. Many things they
> have helped me with I would have never been able to do myself, such as
> queries that have made my life with RMS a lot easier. They have no reason,
> other than the goodness of their heart, to share their knowledge with us.
> Be thankful these guys are here, and willing to help with anything they
> can, rather than insulting them for not sharing the things they wish to
> keep proprietary. In my business I will give my paying customers the shirt
> off my back if it will help them. The ones that come in just looking for a
> handout still get help for the basic things, but I only give the most
> important info, the info that makes me relevant to them, to my paying
> customers. That is what puts bread on the table for my family.
>
> I'm sure if you hired Convoluted, or another partner, as a consultant, you
> will get the info you are looking for.
>
> Craig
>
> "Dan-902" <alias@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> No - I would also like to built my own add-on. Trying to support you.
>>
>> This newsgroup is great in most areas - but with regards to sharing how
>> to do add-on  - it appears not to be the case.
>>
>> DJ
>> "Jessica B. Strong" <jessica1985brianna@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I would like the experts of this newsgroup to give me a general
>>>understanding
>>> of RMS regarding developing Hooks.
>>>
>>> Beside general info, maybe some simple example of an integration.
>>>
>>> I have several links and documents, but I still don't grasp the idea of
>>> Hooks.
>>>
>>> I have a project that Hooks are invoved and would like to start as soon
>>> as
>>> possible.

0
Dan
9/12/2010 9:08:12 PM
Hi, Jessica.
Convoluted is essentially saying that hooks & buttons are the RMS
programmer's bread and butter, and he is right!
He is also right that you need a customization guide.
If you are a vb or c# programmer, you can suffer through it.
Essentially you pass an instance of the pos session into your program,
manipulate it, then return it.
Good luck!
--
-Jerry
JR Data Inc.

"Jessica B. Strong" wrote:

> I would like the experts of this newsgroup to give me a general understanding
> of RMS regarding developing Hooks.
>
> Beside general info, maybe some simple example of an integration.
>
> I have several links and documents, but I still don't grasp the idea of Hooks.
>
> I have a project that Hooks are invoved and would like to start as soon as
> possible.

Importing Quicksell Database into RMS
I'm working with my reseller to upgrade Quicksell to RMS. I'm usin the demo to see what kind of issues need to be addressed before doin the final set up. One issue I found was that after the database i imported, our Matrix items do not show the matrix value in th description or anywhere in the item information for that matter. Th only way I could figure out what the matrix value was was to compar the UPCs in the parent item (which does show the matrix value) wit the UPCs in each of the individual items in the matrix. My reselle said this is a known issue with importing QS2000 into ...

RMS POS crashing just before receipt prints
I have a Epson TM-T88IV printer installed with an APG cash drawer on RMS 2.0 SP3. they are configured through the Epson OPOS ADK and in the Database>Registers>Properties window. when I complete a sale the cash drawer opens but the program crashes before the receipt prints. It comes up with an error saying "Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range. The strange thing is, when I go to [ctrl+shift+F5] Peripherals, everything checks out A-OK. I've read countless discustions trying to figure this out and nothing seems to be working. Anyone have an idea...

Help! current RMS users advice on choosing partner
As an actual user of the product what is your opinion on a local partner versus another partner farther away. I am really torn because I really like RMS but my local partners in my state (only 2) are not gurus. I am sure they can handle "setting me up" but there expertise is on other POS systems. I seemed to understand more of the potential of RMS for my store then they do! I have only gained that knowledge from my use of Quicksell 2000 and reading answers on this forum. My business is a service oriented business. I have suppliers who only sell to me and not the "m...

E-COMMERCE INTEGRATION FOR MICROSOFT DYNAMICS RMS CUSTOMERS!
Hi everybody, Please help me that What Kind of Softwear is best for E.Commerce, which is itegrated with RMS. Thanks for help Akbar, Search the newsgroup, this has been discussed at great length already. Craig "Akbar Mian" <AkbarMian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:862C6C7C-0C7D-4B34-B9E9-5B00AB2E6742@microsoft.com... > Hi everybody, > Please help me that What Kind of Softwear is best for E.Commerce, which is > itegrated with RMS. > Thanks for help Thanks "Craig" wrote: > Akbar, > Search the newsgroup, this has been discusse...

Vista and RMS.
I am running Vista Ulitame 32 bit and RMS 2.0.0116. My question is has anyone been able to get an ingenico i6550 USB to work with this settings? Thanks -- Steve Are you using a Vista compatible OPOS for the ingenicco? "Steven @ S&S Tire Service" <StevenSSTireService@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E558D34-1EA8-4F04-ABA2-8567AC53B419@microsoft.com... >I am running Vista Ulitame 32 bit and RMS 2.0.0116. > My question is has anyone been able to get an ingenico i6550 USB to work > with this settings? > Thanks > -- > Steve I don'...

SavePurchaseOrder Hook
I'm doing some customization work that needs to be invoked when the user saves a purchase order. I've written a dll which gets called by the SavePurchaseOrder hook when the P.O. is saved. However there is also a "commit" button on the P.O. screen which is used to finalize receipt of items on the P.O. When the "commit" button is pushed it does not apper to call the SavePurchaseOrder hook. Has anyone else run into this problem and/or can someone verify my findings? Is there another hook which gets called when the "commit" button is pushed? Thank...

How to create web-based reports from RMS database.
The reports available in RMS is not specific enough for my apparel retail store. I need sell the through rate, average sale, sales/sf, return rate, discount analysis, all broken down by date, week, month, year, category, supplier, and then compare against last year's numbers. I want to create my own web-based reports accessing RMS's SQL database. Does anyone have a template of data access web page so all I have to do is change the SQL statement in getting to the right database table? mas wrote: > The reports available in RMS is not specific enough for my apparel retail > ...

Change RMS to Spanish
Does anybody knows how to change RMS to Spanish? You can change it at the Admnistrator leverl but it doesn't do anything. I have tried with all the other foreign languages with no luck either. Any help? Carlos Carlos, We have translated RMS Store and HQ for version 1.2. Please contat me to get the Spanish version. Afshin >-----Original Message----- >Does anybody knows how to change RMS to Spanish? > >You can change it at the Admnistrator leverl but >it doesn't do anything. I have tried with all the >other foreign languages with no luck either. > >Any...

ntdll error RMS SO V2
I am receiving a ntdll.dll error when lauching PoS. This is happening once a week at the moment. To correct the problem I am using one of the following: Connect to another database then back to the original or Reindex the database. Has anyone else experienced this issue or know how to permanently fix the issue? A Griffin RMS 2.0.0114 This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0138_01C8C24D.F2E2CF80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable A, You didn't tell us the complete error message, but look her...

Running RMS HQ on multiple computers
Is it possible to run a copy of RMS HQ Manager on multiple computers? Yes it is 100% Just install it on that machine and point it to the HQ database, obviously they have to be networked for this to work? "Nabonibus" <Nabonibus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3F316262-07FC-4B56-95A6-D80EEF34D207@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to run a copy of RMS HQ Manager on multiple computers? ...

A short video on RMS Loyalty Point Application
If you have searched for an affordable, functional and reliable Loyalty program for both Store or HQ installation...watch this brief Video. http://www.retail-pos.com/Loyalty.wmv Please contact us for detailed information and demo. sales(AT)retail-pos.com www.retail-pos.com ...

RMS Down Grading Transaction
We have just received our second case where customer swears that the CC was swiped but the CC processor received it as a manual entry. Apparently, when you swipe the card through the MSR and for some reason the return carriage DOESNT register and you click OK manually, the CC processor gets it as a manual entry. Which our customer pays a higher percentage for and has No rights to appeal if the transaction is disputed. Anyone else having this issue or can shed some light on this? PS: 1 out of 10 times the return carriage isn’t sent to RMS - Not all the time. Haik, I have left a few ...

POS 2.0 to RMS 2.0 migration
Are there any tools out there (upgrade programs, SQL Scripts, KnowledgeBase articles) whch will allow a POS 2.0 system (not POS2009) to be migrated to RMS 2.0? Can't go into the details, but we have someone who is currently running POS 2.0 at three separate locations and may want to move to RMS and bring these disparate locations under the Headquarters umbrella. -- Bill Yater Blue Horseshoe Solutions byater@bhsolutions.com None that I have seen, Best option export everything to a CSV, and say goodbye to sales history. I am sure there is someone that could move all the info for y...

Need help configuring Symbol LS9208 scanner with RMS
I just finished installing the OPOS driver for the scanner and I try to configure it on the Microsoft OPOS Servce Objects but it has been unsuccessful. Please help. Thanks! ...

Label template for ZEBRA LP 2824 RMS windows driver
does anyone have a label template for the ZEBRA LP 2824 with 2.25X1.25 labels/ tags ? I would preffer to use it with the label designer Thanks Robert Hi Robert - what we've done in the past is open one of the avery tags with label designer and start tweaking it to your liking - then save it as "Robert Tag" or some unique name; this will retain the ability view your design; you'll need to play though with the sizing of the different objects until they print well with your zebra; once you set the paper size in the printer properties (in both the general and advanced ta...

Developing ActiveX controls using MFC in VS.NET
Hi, I am developing an ActiveX control using MFC, which is to be deployed on an web page. If I develop the control using MFC in VS.NET , will the client machine require .NET to be installed on it ? regards, Sachin Sachin Hegde wrote: > Hi, > I am developing an ActiveX control using MFC, which is to be deployed on an > web page. > If I develop the control using MFC in VS.NET , will the client machine > require .NET to be installed on it ? > > regards, > Sachin > > > No. Microsoft slaps the .NET name on everything, even if it does not use the .NET ru...

Developer edition of SQL Server 2005
Dear All I am trying to evaluate Dynamics CRM internally for ourselves and potential clients. We only have SQL 2005 developer edition in house (MSDN) and it appears (for some odd reason) that this edition (specifically reporting services) is not supported. Is this correct, as it doesn't make any sense? Is there a workaround as I am unable to use our live full version of SQL Server 2005 to trial this on. Thanks Ian CRM does not support MSDN/Express versions of SQL Server. My best suggestion is to download the 120 day trial of SQL Server (not express) to use for your evaluation ...

will RMS 2.0 work with Windows 7
Has anyone tried using RMS 2.0 with Windows 7? What version RMS are you using? Yes 2.0.0126 -- Maurice Gordon Maurice@americanretailsupply.com Sales/Support 1-800-426-5708 XT 1307 "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E0D2035-1FB0-497E-8F73-AF5FDA947E64@microsoft.com... > Has anyone tried using RMS 2.0 with Windows 7? What version RMS are you > using? Hi Larry, RMS 2.0 SP2 working fine with windows 7 Vijay "Larry" wrote: > Has anyone tried using RMS 2.0 with Windows 7? What version RMS ar...

RMS mysteriously stops tendering- help!
We're trying to install RMS on some new machines and the tender function mysteriously stops working not long after it installs. We use Mercury's TPI software (which continues to work on older installations) and it will work for the first couple of test transactions, but inevitably fails not long after. It throws no errors; nothing in RMS, its log, SQL, or even the Event Viewer. We just click... and nothing. There is no consistency between Windows versions (XP SP2, SP3, Vista) except for the persistence of the error. We're desperate! Anyone encountered this before? did you...

RMS--VAR Listing for Michigan
Can anyone provide me with a link to a list of RMS VARs in Michigan? I have looked around the Microsoft site and cant' find one that doesn't require filling out contact forms. Thanks in advance for your help. ...

RMS to Great Plains Import Error
Our integration import gives us errors on a few transactions. 1 Multiple Tenders 2 Positve and Negative 3 Account Number does not exist What is needed to manually put in these transactions(If needed at all????) Is anyone else out there using Great Plains with RMS My versions are RMS 1.3.1011 Great Plains 9.00.0281 ------=_NextPart_0001_5CCB714F Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Good afternoon Barry, Thank you for posting your GP import error question. 1. Multiple Tenders I am assuming this is the below error that you also posted ab...

Removing Retail Realm Tables and Triggers etc from RMS dbs
Is there any clean way to remove RR's tables & flotsam from a RMS DBS w/o having to go to RR and get a script from them? Thanks You can certainly use a tool like Microsoft SQL Management Studio to visually see what tables, triggers and functions are available in a database. This will allow you to see what is there. But make sure you do a backup before you start removing anything. And if you are not sure about a table or other database item, don't remove it! If you would like a hand in sorting this out, we'd be happy to help, just give a call to our Tech S...

Seeking Employment with RMS?
Western Canada's largest Gold Certified Microsoft Business Solutions Partner, The RSC Group, is looking for individuals who have experience with Microsoft Retail Management System (as a consultant or a business user) and/or experience in retail management with an interest in technology. For further details, please contact Alex Bullock at 604.737.8570 or by email at alexb@rsc.com. Regards, -- Alex Bullock The RSC Group alexb@rsc.com ...

Article Link?
Does anyone have a link to customer or partner source article for integrating SBA w RMS? I can not seem to find this. -- Jocelyn This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0628_01C74B90.99C7CB10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Jocelyn, There are a couple in the KB, http://tinyurl.com/22pwoj being the most = relevant. Careful though as there hasn't been an announcement yet for RMS 2.0 and = Office Accounting 2007 upgrades. --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=...

Development Environment
Hi, First off I cross posted this on the ...crm.developer news group but didn't get a reply today so I thought I would cross post this message here... let me know if that is a big no no in the MS crm forums. I am new to MS CRM and have been immersing my self in all the documenation over the last week as well as watching the MS webcasts, reading the news groups and just generally trying to get myself up to speed on the platform SDK. I wanted to know what is the recommended way of developing and testing applications that are going to use the SDK. Specifically I am a remote developer and...