Star TSP743 slow printing

We have installed a Star TSP743 printer (Serial Connection) using the Star
TSP743 Line Mode printer driver for windows XP.  At the end of each
transaction, it prints a 4" long receipt, but takes about 30 seconds to
finish.  Our store logo is already downloaded inthe printer and prints at the
top of each receipt header.

When we printed the printer test page at the end of installing the windows
driver, it produced a 18" long receipt in a bout 1 second.  Is there some
setting that we can set to speed up the receipt printing process?  Is it a
serial issue, font usage, or something else that we are missing?  Thanks for
your help.
0
Tim6814 (325)
3/7/2008 7:48:03 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Tim,

It may be a font issue. I use Windows drivers and initially experienced the
same problem. I had to change the fonts for my receipts. True Type Fonts are
claimed to be the culprit. Try using your printer's built-in fonts. There
are also faster ways to print an image referenced in past threads.You can
probably find more help by searching back in this group, as this issue has
come up before. Google Groups (or similar) has more archived messages than
the search from the RMS site.

Marc

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have installed a Star TSP743 printer (Serial Connection) using the Star
> TSP743 Line Mode printer driver for windows XP.  At the end of each
> transaction, it prints a 4" long receipt, but takes about 30 seconds to
> finish.  Our store logo is already downloaded inthe printer and prints at
> the
> top of each receipt header.
>
> When we printed the printer test page at the end of installing the windows
> driver, it produced a 18" long receipt in a bout 1 second.  Is there some
> setting that we can set to speed up the receipt printing process?  Is it a
> serial issue, font usage, or something else that we are missing?  Thanks
> for
> your help.

0
marcr (93)
3/7/2008 9:03:31 PM
Hi Marc,

Thanks for the response.  As for changing the fonts, which fonts should I
use and how do I update it in RMS or windows?  As for the image, it prints
fine and quick.  Thanks for your help.

Tim

"Marc" wrote:

> Tim,
>
> It may be a font issue. I use Windows drivers and initially experienced the
> same problem. I had to change the fonts for my receipts. True Type Fonts are
> claimed to be the culprit. Try using your printer's built-in fonts. There
> are also faster ways to print an image referenced in past threads.You can
> probably find more help by searching back in this group, as this issue has
> come up before. Google Groups (or similar) has more archived messages than
> the search from the RMS site.
>
> Marc
>
> "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have installed a Star TSP743 printer (Serial Connection) using the Star
> > TSP743 Line Mode printer driver for windows XP.  At the end of each
> > transaction, it prints a 4" long receipt, but takes about 30 seconds to
> > finish.  Our store logo is already downloaded inthe printer and prints at
> > the
> > top of each receipt header.
> >
> > When we printed the printer test page at the end of installing the windows
> > driver, it produced a 18" long receipt in a bout 1 second.  Is there some
> > setting that we can set to speed up the receipt printing process?  Is it a
> > serial issue, font usage, or something else that we are missing?  Thanks
> > for
> > your help.

0
Tim6814 (325)
3/7/2008 10:03:00 PM
I'm not at work with a machine in front of me, but I can give you a basic
idea. In Store Op Manager | Database | Registers | receipts | receipt
formats. Highlight the receipt and then click properties. Scroll through the
properties and you will see several settings for Fonts.

I use Epson printers, so the fonts I use probably have different names.
Check your printer docs, or maybe someone else here can jump in to give you
the names of some basic fonts for regular, bold, etc. My fonts have names
like FONTA11, FONTB11, but I am pretty sure they are Epson specific. I have
never tried using other Windows fonts (non True Type Fonts) to see what kind
of performance they provide.

> Hi Marc,
>
> Thanks for the response.  As for changing the fonts, which fonts should I
> use and how do I update it in RMS or windows?  As for the image, it prints
> fine and quick.  Thanks for your help.
>
> Tim
>
> "Marc" wrote:
>
>> Tim,
>>
>> It may be a font issue. I use Windows drivers and initially experienced
>> the
>> same problem. I had to change the fonts for my receipts. True Type Fonts
>> are
>> claimed to be the culprit. Try using your printer's built-in fonts. There
>> are also faster ways to print an image referenced in past threads.You can
>> probably find more help by searching back in this group, as this issue
>> has
>> come up before. Google Groups (or similar) has more archived messages
>> than
>> the search from the RMS site.
>>
>> Marc
>>
>> "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have installed a Star TSP743 printer (Serial Connection) using the
>> > Star
>> > TSP743 Line Mode printer driver for windows XP.  At the end of each
>> > transaction, it prints a 4" long receipt, but takes about 30 seconds to
>> > finish.  Our store logo is already downloaded inthe printer and prints
>> > at
>> > the
>> > top of each receipt header.
>> >
>> > When we printed the printer test page at the end of installing the
>> > windows
>> > driver, it produced a 18" long receipt in a bout 1 second.  Is there
>> > some
>> > setting that we can set to speed up the receipt printing process?  Is
>> > it a
>> > serial issue, font usage, or something else that we are missing?
>> > Thanks
>> > for
>> > your help.

0
marcr (93)
3/8/2008 12:37:56 AM
Get the usb for that printer. The 743 useing the raster driver is very slow
and does weird things. Unless you can get an older version.
Just swap out the serial with usb load the driver and your good to go very
fast and nice print.
"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have installed a Star TSP743 printer (Serial Connection) using the Star
> TSP743 Line Mode printer driver for windows XP.  At the end of each
> transaction, it prints a 4" long receipt, but takes about 30 seconds to
> finish.  Our store logo is already downloaded inthe printer and prints at
> the
> top of each receipt header.
>
> When we printed the printer test page at the end of installing the windows
> driver, it produced a 18" long receipt in a bout 1 second.  Is there some
> setting that we can set to speed up the receipt printing process?  Is it a
> serial issue, font usage, or something else that we are missing?  Thanks
> for
> your help.

0
Rick5747 (287)
3/8/2008 4:08:23 PM
how about using OPOS driver from Star?
Serial will always print slow only if you print windows resident fonts.

"Tim" wrote:

> We have installed a Star TSP743 printer (Serial Connection) using the Star
> TSP743 Line Mode printer driver for windows XP.  At the end of each
> transaction, it prints a 4" long receipt, but takes about 30 seconds to
> finish.  Our store logo is already downloaded inthe printer and prints at the
> top of each receipt header.
>
> When we printed the printer test page at the end of installing the windows
> driver, it produced a 18" long receipt in a bout 1 second.  Is there some
> setting that we can set to speed up the receipt printing process?  Is it a
> serial issue, font usage, or something else that we are missing?  Thanks for
> your help.
0
KevinLee (6)

My prints are to small.What can i do to make them larger?
I can enlargen text on screen , but when i print it prints small.Can you offer some kind of help. Change the font size instead of your zoom percentage. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "gopazz1" <gopazz1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A2484AA-4C38-4B1A-B75E-C61022909992@microsoft.com... >I can enlargen text on screen , but when i print it prints small.Can you > offer some kind of help. > ...

.prn print file
I created a .prn print file from my printer. When I open it in Excel 2000 it opens as garbage. A appreciate any help. John Hi John, My experience with .prn is limited to downloads from a GEAC database. I import them as text documents and play to discover what the delimiter is. Most times it is comma or | Good luck ray >-----Original Message----- >I created a .prn print file from my printer. When I open it in Excel 2000 >it opens as garbage. A appreciate any help. > >John > > >. > John *.prn files are just that. To be printed. They consist of printer co...

Html emails not printing problem
Hi Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003. My problem is that the Outlook 2003 does not print html emails. It prints plain text emails fine. In an html email if I click on printer icon, nothing happens. If I select File->Print menu the print dialog does not appear. I am using IE6. I have tried the following so far without luck; - Remove any additional software that I can think of in case it was interfering. - Scanned the pc using Trend's online HouseCall anti-virus/spyware program and removed some minor spyware. - Installed IE7 but at start-up it comes up with title 'Customise your...

Need help with printing Excel document
I want to print it out exactly as it looks on the screen. With all the cells and rows visable. Highlight all the cells you wish to see printed out. Then do File > PrintArea > SetPrintArea...........then do File > PrintPreview.......what you see is what will print out, assuming you have the correct print drivers and margins set etc......... If it still don't work, post back with more details. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "jody mullis via OfficeKB.com" <forum@OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:507040B8C48C0@OfficeKB.com... > I want to print it out exactly a...

Printing without certain text (i.e., answers, notes)
Does anyone know an easy way to print two versions of a document? For example, I need to print a student version without answers and instructor's notes. Thanks, TM One way would be to use a style (call it Answers for example), when you want to print out the students copies change the color of the style Answers to white. That should do it. "TM" <t_mccollough@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e6czHS2YDHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know an easy way to print two versions of a document? For > example, I need to print a student version without answers an...

General Ledger - General Posting Journal
On the General Posting Journal Printed Report (print JE's), how do I add a column on the printed report to show the Distribution Reference (next to the account description)? Example: Journal Transaction Transaction Audit Trail Entry Type Reference Code 2,083 Standard Adj Aug Interest GLTRX0000318 Account Description **DISTRIBUTION REFERENCE** Debit Credit 000-1000-000 Interest Exp Book interest to actual xx xx ...

font printing problem of imported visio file inside power point file
I am having a problem with VISIO 2002 with PowerPoint 2000. I made a drawing with some fonts with VISIO 2002. Then I copied the drawing and pasted into PowerPoint file. In screen, I can clearly see the font. When I print the file, drawings are there but there are no font from printed paper. Would you please help me out regarding this problem? ...

outlook inbox slows down
1.my client has informed me that his inbox slows down we he moves from one e-mail to another, and his cursor develops a tail 2. my other client has a problem accessing he inbox but when we moved the inbox to another pc on the network she can gain access to her own inbox on the other machine Do you have Norton Antivirus? If so the latest up has scewed things up. Open Norton and goto Options/Misc. and uncheck the Office plug in. This seem to effect every MS Office program. Check other newsgroups about it. That's how I found out. "donovan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.c...

outlook 2000 client is very slow with exchange 2003 server
we migrate from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 Server but after migration our outlook 2000 Client is very slow If any one know about this pls let me know.If i have to check any configuration.. Thank Biswajit De Install Outlook 2003 on one machine. Once you connect with it you can hold CTRL - Right click on the Outlook icon by the clock and choose Connection Status. Then let us know which service is slow in there. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to...

Show gridlines only prints every other line
Every time I try to print a document in Excel 2003 and use the show gridlines feature, it only prints the lines every other line. It will print a line then skip one and then print a line and so on. Does anybody have an idea what is causing this, or how to fix it. Appreciate any assistance, Jason ...

Publisher 97 and date/time print
I am designing an office card using 1997 Publisher. No matter what I do it prints day, month,year and time on every page. I have checked background and there is no text box even there to delete to stop this problem. How can I find and delete? This will be an option of your printer driver. Disable that option and your trauma will be over. -- ...

Publisher 2003 printing missing
At my school my students are creating newsletters. On random lines...on each student's printout...there are partial lines printed. Some titles don't print. Students have tried changing the size of the font, the font itself, the size of the text boxes, etc. We are always missing partial lines. It is a different place on each paper and it happens on different printers. Any suggestions? Barbmc wrote: > At my school my students are creating newsletters. On random lines...on each > student's printout...there are partial lines printed. Some titles don't > p...

Printing only a disclaimer on the even pages of a report
I have a report that must have a disclaimer on the back of each page (no data just verbage). Can someone tell me how to set this up please. TIA for the help. Steve ...

printing on legal
Anyone have success printing legal size doc from a pcl5 driver using publisher 97...using a Gestetner 3225. other office apps print on legal ok My page setup says legal, the printer driver says legal, I'm even telling it what tray to go to that contains legal..... Publisher is more demanding on printer drivers than other applications. Is there a newer driver for your printer? http://www.nrgcss.com/drivers/Page2.asp -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jaqueline Naghdi" <jn...

Header
I have a spreadsheet that prints out on 3 pages of A4. However, the header prints at the top of each page. How do I get it to print at the top of the first page, only, please? Gareth -- For essential news about Huddersfield Town Football Club join the Terriers Mailing List at www.Terriers.me.uk . Two separate print jobs are required. You can use a macro to speed it up but it is still two print jobs. See Ron de Bruin's site for code. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 02:46:28 +0100, "Gareth J Dykes" <firstname.lastname@btinternet.com> wrote: >I ...

print only range that contain information in excel 2007
i have a large worksheet to cover a large number of possible inserted entries, all cells show blank until entries are copied and pasted in the worksheet. The amount of entries vary. Is there a way to set the workseet to print only the range of cells with information in them ...

How do I set a Word doc to always print manual feed?
In Word 2003, you'd go to page setup, paper source. I can't find anything comparable in 2007. I print a lot of labels & letterhead & need this. The dialog is the same - click the arrow bottom right of the Page Setup Group on the Page Layout tab. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>&...

Print File
How do I use a FileSytemObject in VBA code to print a word document from excel. I'm not sure how you would. But I saved this from a previous post. Option Explicit Sub testme() 'Dim WDApp As Word.Application 'Dim WDDoc As Word.Document Dim WDApp As Object Dim WDDoc As Object Dim myDocName As String Dim WordWasRunning As Boolean Dim testStr As String myDocName = "C:\my documents\word\document1.doc" testStr = "" On Error Resume Next testStr = Dir(myDocName) On Error GoTo 0 If testStr = "&quo...

Calendar Printing Assistant-won't update
Besides my own Outlook 2007 calendar, I am also the "owner" of a public calendar to which several others have editing privileges. I can add and change appointments to the public calendar, but when I go to print it, my updates are not there even though they are visible on my Outlook screen. What can I do to get CPA to print the updated appointments? My understanding is that CPA does not handle merged calendars very well. You may want to consider using a Outlook Calendar printing app called Wincalendar instead. It allows you to render your Outlook calendar in various...

Printing Woes #2
I have a spreadsheet (my timesheet). For some reason, this spreadsheet defaults to 3 copies when it prints. I only need one. So, I manually go in, change the number of copies needed, hit print, save the spreadsheet. When I come back into the spreadsheet the next week, it is back to 3 copies. I have saved the original spreadsheet, did a save as and gave it a new name, etc, and I still can't get it to default back to one copy. Any ideas. TIA, Brenda ...

Printing Labels #5
Can you use a roll of labels with MS Office? Specifically, can you rip off 6 labels, which would be approximately half a piece of paper, and feed it through a printer, while using MS Publisher or MS Word? You probably can, it will take some effort to setup the page correctly. Merging would be questionable. In page setup, select custom, input the label width and length plus one label more for the margin. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "LACE" <LACE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52...

printing multiple newsletters
When printing an 11x17, folded newsletter and using mail merge in Publisher I encounter problems. There are 664 addresses in my merge list and I am required to press Enter 664 times to get all of them published. This happens on our old C2620. I agreed to upgrade the machine to a C5185i but with reservations as you can imagine. Still, we cannot mail merge our newsletter on the newest machine in Publisher. Ed Bennett's fix from KATMA does not seem to fix this problem. Any other suggestions? Thanks. Are you getting an error message? There are some problems with commercial CMYK merges ...

print attachement
Hello, I would like Outlook to check for a specific attachement in incoming email (for example all attached word documents in format "ras*.doc") and to print the attached document automatically. Is is possible using rules ? do I need a script ? any idea how to do it ? Thank you ...

print out
I have excel file with colour background and plain pattern. When I print a excel file, the print out is coming with doted pattern. and if i copy entire sheet and paste it some other excel file, I can get exact print out with plain background. But every time I can not copy and take print out. But I want to take with plain pattern in the same file. Any idea what is the problem in the file. Hi vishu, If I understand correctly you are copying the values and formulas, or are using Edit, Past Special, Values, but not the formatting. The safest way is to copy the entire sheet. Edit...

Printing out postcards...
I have Windows XP & Publisher 2003. I am selecting blank postcard design with multiple copies per sheet selected (2 across & 2 down). I would like to have each one with a different picture and text. When I do this in all quadrants, it places all 4 of those in each postcard section when printing. Is there a way to separate a page into 4 sections (like with the multiple copies per sheet option), but have a different picture with text in each quadrant? Any suggestions or work arounds? thanks Lay your publication out manually. In the page setup select landscape, in the arran...