SQL Server 2000/MSDE/SQL 2005 Express mixed environment REDUX

I don't consider myself stupid, but when it comes to making a managed post
apparently I have some sort of mental block or something.  Hopefully this
time I'll have better luck...

Originally posted on 8/1/06:
---------------------------------
In my network, HQ & Store Ops for one store run on SQL Server 2000 (part of
SBS 2003). The registers & office pcs in that bldg all run MSDE.

In store two, the server (Windows Server 2003 Std) hosts Store Ops with MSDE
and all the registers & PCs run MSDE.

I just rolled out store three (just like store two), and again used MSDE
everywhere - but I toyed with the idea of downloading and using SQL 2005
Express.

In a few weeks, I'll be rolling out store #4. Is there any reason why I
cannot run 2K5E in one store and MSDE elsewhere? Eventually, I suppose I'll
end up with 2K5E everywhere (except maybe the HQ server, and even that's not
a foregone conclusion). Will I have to make the switch all at once?
0
tomg2938 (389)
8/30/2006 10:35:01 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I am getting ready to move to a HQ/Store system (from a single store). Is
SQL Server required? What is the downside of just using the bundled MSDE.

I also have the same question below, because I would like to try 2K5E.

Jason

"Terrible Tom" <tomg@GOFISHrobysfurniture.com> wrote in message
>I don't consider myself stupid, but when it comes to making a managed post
> apparently I have some sort of mental block or something.  Hopefully this
> time I'll have better luck...
>
> Originally posted on 8/1/06:
> ---------------------------------
> In my network, HQ & Store Ops for one store run on SQL Server 2000 (part
> of
> SBS 2003). The registers & office pcs in that bldg all run MSDE.
>
> In store two, the server (Windows Server 2003 Std) hosts Store Ops with
> MSDE
> and all the registers & PCs run MSDE.
>
> I just rolled out store three (just like store two), and again used MSDE
> everywhere - but I toyed with the idea of downloading and using SQL 2005
> Express.
>
> In a few weeks, I'll be rolling out store #4. Is there any reason why I
> cannot run 2K5E in one store and MSDE elsewhere? Eventually, I suppose
> I'll
> end up with 2K5E everywhere (except maybe the HQ server, and even that's
> not
> a foregone conclusion). Will I have to make the switch all at once?

0
jason2290 (135)
8/30/2006 10:52:44 PM
We're running SQL 2k, 2k5 Express and MSDE across our three stores in a
rather mix and match fashion (even our domain controllers don't all
match) and the only trouble I've had was with scheduling automated
backups of the MSDE databases. Other than that, it all works just like
every other SQL Server instance. Oh, one thing though: SQL 2k5 Express
defaults to running a local instance instead of a publicly shared
instance. It's not hard to change but it can cause some unnecessary
frustration.

Be sure to nab a copy of Management Studio Express while you're at it.
Free and powerful.

--
Shaun

Terrible Tom wrote:
> I don't consider myself stupid, but when it comes to making a managed post
> apparently I have some sort of mental block or something.  Hopefully this
> time I'll have better luck...
>
> Originally posted on 8/1/06:
> ---------------------------------
> In my network, HQ & Store Ops for one store run on SQL Server 2000 (part of
> SBS 2003). The registers & office pcs in that bldg all run MSDE.
>
> In store two, the server (Windows Server 2003 Std) hosts Store Ops with MSDE
> and all the registers & PCs run MSDE.
>
> I just rolled out store three (just like store two), and again used MSDE
> everywhere - but I toyed with the idea of downloading and using SQL 2005
> Express.
>
> In a few weeks, I'll be rolling out store #4. Is there any reason why I
> cannot run 2K5E in one store and MSDE elsewhere? Eventually, I suppose I'll
> end up with 2K5E everywhere (except maybe the HQ server, and even that's not
> a foregone conclusion). Will I have to make the switch all at once?

0
smartin902 (12)
8/30/2006 11:49:41 PM
Not sure what a managed post is, but...

You don't have to make the switch all at once.  The assorted RMS
programs are just using SQL Server (2000, 2005, MSDE or Express) as a
data source.  Almost all of the communication between and within stores
is going to be handled by the RMS applications themselves.  The one
place that you MIGHT have an issue would be if you mix 2000 & 2005
within a store and are using Offline databases at the register.  I think
you will want to have the server and the registers in a store all using
the same version.

One other caveat that I just saw posted by Jeff in another group - If
you upgrade the server at HQ to use SQL Server 2005, the store databases
that it exports will not work with MSDE.  Existing stores using MSDE
would continue to work.

Finally, even though it's not required to change everything at once, I
would want to get out of a mixed environment as quickly as I could.  Why
support different systems - consistency between the stores will make
management and troubleshooting easier.

Somewhere down the line, MS is going to stop supporting RMS on MSDE, so
everyone is going to need to upgrade eventually, but that is probably at
least a year away.

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

Terrible Tom wrote:
> I don't consider myself stupid, but when it comes to making a managed post
> apparently I have some sort of mental block or something.  Hopefully this
> time I'll have better luck...
>
> Originally posted on 8/1/06:
> ---------------------------------
> In my network, HQ & Store Ops for one store run on SQL Server 2000 (part of
> SBS 2003). The registers & office pcs in that bldg all run MSDE.
>
> In store two, the server (Windows Server 2003 Std) hosts Store Ops with MSDE
> and all the registers & PCs run MSDE.
>
> I just rolled out store three (just like store two), and again used MSDE
> everywhere - but I toyed with the idea of downloading and using SQL 2005
> Express.
>
> In a few weeks, I'll be rolling out store #4. Is there any reason why I
> cannot run 2K5E in one store and MSDE elsewhere? Eventually, I suppose I'll
> end up with 2K5E everywhere (except maybe the HQ server, and even that's not
> a foregone conclusion). Will I have to make the switch all at once?
0
glenn9672 (1267)
8/31/2006 1:30:09 PM
HQ will run on MSDE.  However, once you are in a multi-store
environment, other factors like database size and user count tend to
push you toward a full SQL Server Edition.  You really need to work with
a partner to determine your specific needs now and into the near future.

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

Jason wrote:
> I am getting ready to move to a HQ/Store system (from a single store). Is
> SQL Server required? What is the downside of just using the bundled MSDE.
>
> I also have the same question below, because I would like to try 2K5E.
>
> Jason
>

> "Terrible Tom" <tomg@GOFISHrobysfurniture.com> wrote in message
>> I don't consider myself stupid, but when it comes to making a managed post
>> apparently I have some sort of mental block or something.  Hopefully this
>> time I'll have better luck...
>>
>> Originally posted on 8/1/06:
>> ---------------------------------
>> In my network, HQ & Store Ops for one store run on SQL Server 2000 (part
>> of
>> SBS 2003). The registers & office pcs in that bldg all run MSDE.
>>
>> In store two, the server (Windows Server 2003 Std) hosts Store Ops with
>> MSDE
>> and all the registers & PCs run MSDE.
>>
>> I just rolled out store three (just like store two), and again used MSDE
>> everywhere - but I toyed with the idea of downloading and using SQL 2005
>> Express.
>>
>> In a few weeks, I'll be rolling out store #4. Is there any reason why I
>> cannot run 2K5E in one store and MSDE elsewhere? Eventually, I suppose
>> I'll
>> end up with 2K5E everywhere (except maybe the HQ server, and even that's
>> not
>> a foregone conclusion). Will I have to make the switch all at once?

0
glenn9672 (1267)
8/31/2006 1:33:54 PM
Glenn,

By "managed post" I meant a post that qualified for my Managed Newsgroups
benefit.  You know this, man.

Thanks for the input.  I will try using 2K5E next month when I roll out
store #4.  My store database will be exported from SQL2000 for use on a
server running 2K5E.  I'll post an update after I've tried it.

One more thing - if one of the big justifications for 1.3R was SQL 2005
compatibility, why does the 1.3R CD install MSDE instead of 2K5E?  Could it
be that MS is hoping to sell more full versions of SQL to folks that are
unaware of the 2K5E option, or are they just too lazy and/or impatient to
make the change before release?  In either case, I think they did the wrong
thing.  1.3R should have shipped with 2K5E, not MSDE.

Tom

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> Not sure what a managed post is, but...
>
> You don't have to make the switch all at once.  The assorted RMS
> programs are just using SQL Server (2000, 2005, MSDE or Express) as a
> data source.  Almost all of the communication between and within stores
> is going to be handled by the RMS applications themselves.  The one
> place that you MIGHT have an issue would be if you mix 2000 & 2005
> within a store and are using Offline databases at the register.  I think
> you will want to have the server and the registers in a store all using
> the same version.
>
> One other caveat that I just saw posted by Jeff in another group - If
> you upgrade the server at HQ to use SQL Server 2005, the store databases
> that it exports will not work with MSDE.  Existing stores using MSDE
> would continue to work.
>
> Finally, even though it's not required to change everything at once, I
> would want to get out of a mixed environment as quickly as I could.  Why
> support different systems - consistency between the stores will make
> management and troubleshooting easier.
>
> Somewhere down the line, MS is going to stop supporting RMS on MSDE, so
> everyone is going to need to upgrade eventually, but that is probably at
> least a year away.
>
> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>

> Terrible Tom wrote:
> > I don't consider myself stupid, but when it comes to making a managed post
> > apparently I have some sort of mental block or something.  Hopefully this
> > time I'll have better luck...
> >
> > Originally posted on 8/1/06:
> > ---------------------------------
> > In my network, HQ & Store Ops for one store run on SQL Server 2000 (part of
> > SBS 2003). The registers & office pcs in that bldg all run MSDE.
> >
> > In store two, the server (Windows Server 2003 Std) hosts Store Ops with MSDE
> > and all the registers & PCs run MSDE.
> >
> > I just rolled out store three (just like store two), and again used MSDE
> > everywhere - but I toyed with the idea of downloading and using SQL 2005
> > Express.
> >
> > In a few weeks, I'll be rolling out store #4. Is there any reason why I
> > cannot run 2K5E in one store and MSDE elsewhere? Eventually, I suppose I'll
> > end up with 2K5E everywhere (except maybe the HQ server, and even that's not
> > a foregone conclusion). Will I have to make the switch all at once?

0
tomg2938 (389)
8/31/2006 8:39:02 PM
It would have been nice if they had at least included the SQL Express
installers on the CD.  I think that they stayed with the MSDE install
because it's really much easier to install.  As long as you remember the
sa password you entered durning install, MSDE is going to work.  There's
more involved with SQL Express, and even though it's not all that hard
to figure out, I think they went with the 'less is more' approach.
Hopefully by the next scheduled release (2.0 in early 2007) they will
integrate a silent installer for SQL Express into the RMS install and
include documentation for network configuration.

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

Terrible Tom wrote:
> [...]
>>> time I'll have better luck...
>>>
>>> Originally posted on 8/1/06:
>>> ---------------------------------
>>> In my network, HQ & Store Ops for one store run on SQL Server 2000 (part of
>>> SBS 2003). The registers & office pcs in that bldg all run MSDE.
>>>
>>> In store two, the server (Windows Server 2003 Std) hosts Store Ops with MSDE
>>> and all the registers & PCs run MSDE.
>>>
>>> I just rolled out store three (just like store two), and again used MSDE
>>> everywhere - but I toyed with the idea of downloading and using SQL 2005
>>> Express.
>>>
>>> In a few weeks, I'll be rolling out store #4. Is there any reason why I
>>> cannot run 2K5E in one store and MSDE elsewhere? Eventually, I suppose I'll
>>> end up with 2K5E everywhere (except maybe the HQ server, and even that's not
>>> a foregone conclusion). Will I have to make the switch all at once?

SQL error message
Hello, I am using the following code. The code is programmed to pull a mileage expense rate from a table called "ExpenseMileageRate" (the fields are 'Rate' and 'EffectiveDate' and use it to calculate the currency amount. As the rate changes, I need the code to lookup the rate that was in effect on the date of the expense and use it on several forms. Some of the forms are historical lookups, so I don't want them all to lookup the amount currently in effect, but the rate that was in effect on the date of the expense. I am getting and error after the FROM and be...

MS Money Deluxe 2005 is disappointment
I am in the process of spending hours/days trying to unwind the 20005 upgrade back to 2004. I am doing this because Money 2005 automatically downloads activity I had previousely documented in seperate 2004 Money Files. There is no way to prevent it if the on-line log on is the same for both Money Files in Money 2005. Even after I've closed the relevalnt accounts in each File profile, the downloads continue. I will not buy any further MS Money upgrades. Why the problem going back? Simply uninstall M2005 and reinstall M2004 and restore the backup file that was created when you u...

Uninstall Outlook Express
Help! How on earth do you uninstall this program??? Thanks! Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "beth6241" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Outlook 2001 & new Exchange server
We recently moved to a new server (Exchange 2003 on Win2003; old server was Exchange 2000 on Win2000). We have one Mac user (MacOS 10.3). Our experience with Entourage X was abysmal, so she uses iCal and Groupcal (from Snerdware) to access her calendar. To look at other users' calendars, she uses Outlook 2001 (which runs in Classic mode). When we moved to the new Exchange server, she could no longer access calendars that she had previously accessed, either from File | Open | Other User's Folder or File | Open and then the shortcut (the error was about permissions, which were as befor...

Outlook 2000 #200
When I click on new message nothing happen but the hour glass spins. When I click on a message in my in box the hour glass also just spins. Any suggestions or help with this problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Will ...

Access 2000 to Access97
I am trying to convert a Access 2000 database into Access97. When I try this I receive a message saying 'The size of a field is too long'. Does anyone know how this database can be converted Thanks Paul ...

Mail icon on taskbar in Outlook 2000
A user right clicked on the mail icon on the taskbar and disabled it and wants it back. In Outlook 2003 there is an option to add it back, I didn't see anything in Outlook 2000. Does anyone know how I would do this? I am thinking a reinstall/repair might do the trick but I was thinking there might be something else. Thanks ...

Upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 Killed OWA
I upgraded a Windows 2000 Server machine running Exchange 2003, to Windows Server 2003. Now after authenticating to OWA, "HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable" is displayed in the browser. I seen this (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305030 ) from another post, but have not tried the items at the bottom yet. In IIS, the VDirs, Exchweb, Exchange, EXadmin, were not using the ExchangeApplicationPool, they were using the default. Plus I had to click the create button next to application on all three. I tried and iisreset after that, but it did not help. I also made sure the se...

Opening .pub in earlier version (2002 in 2000) is it possible?
Jave file created in Publisher 2002. Can it be opened in Publisher 2000. is there any download to facilitate this. Phil No No Ask the orginator to do a Save As to a Pub 2000 file. Warning: It may lose something in the translation. "P. S." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:028f01c3a19d$7bfd2170$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Jave file created in Publisher 2002. Can it be opened in > Publisher 2000. is there any download to facilitate this. > > Phil ...

How to Route Outbound E-mail from the Exchange Server 5.5 to another server.
Hi. I'm implementing an e-mail filter software and I need to configure my Exchange Server to route outbound e-mail to the e-mail filter server. I went to the connection tap and changed the message delivery to : Forward all message to host : "My e-mail filter server ". I need to know if what I've done is correct ? Thank you for your help. Yes, that's where you make the change. Don't forget to restart the IMS in order to affect the change. -- hth, SusanV "Javier" <jbisono@tricom.com.do> wrote in message news:uPVHjhl9DHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

CRM SQL Database
We are seeing a size of over 19 GB on our SQL Database for Microsoft CRM. That is on the MSCRM_log database. This surprises me because we have only been using CRM for about 6 months and also, all of our data and all of our email combined only adds up to about 12 GB of total size. Is this normal or is there something we can do to clean things up regularly? This is not a problem now, but if the DB continues to grow at this rate, then it will become a problem much sooner than we anticipated. Thank You, Chad perhaps a backup would not harm.. SQL server truncates the transaction log w...

Error after applying SP1 on GP 9.0 with SQL 2005 P2
I have applied SP1 on GP 9.0 on the server and the GP utilities shows all companies have been updated, however when I attempt to login to a couple of companies I recieve a message "[Microsoft][OBDC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]procedure smcleanup filesbeforelogin has no parameters and arguments were supplied". I have compatablility set to 90 ------=_NextPart_0001_5EFEE3FC Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, Thanks for posting to Newsgroups. It seems the update may have failed on one or more stored procedures. You can attempt to recreate this sto...

Outlook Express Spell Check #3
I get the error: "An error occurred while spelling was being checked. I use W2K and MSWord '97. The spell check works in Word. Thank you Hellerjonathan@hotmail.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I get the error: "An error occurred while spelling was > being checked. > > I use W2K and MSWord '97. The spell check works in Word. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

"remember password" in Outlook and Outlook Express
When I reinstalled Outlook 2000 on my machine, I set it up with the |Internet Email Only" option and therefore I suffer from the blank cached password and the inability to have the app remember the password. This is driving me nuts as every 10 minutes I have to enter the password to check for new mail. The support page has the following article but it is a "workaround" not a fix. How can I fix this situation once and for all? Will a remove and reinstall work? Will an Outlook 2003 install fix it? I would prefer to stay with 2000 for the time being but will do what ...

receiving mail that dosen't have a mailbox on my server
how do you stop email addresses that have my domain name, but the receipant does not have a mailbox on my server please help "Brad Camden" <Bacamden@mississippilime.com> wrote: >how do you stop email addresses that have my domain name, >but the receipant does not have a mailbox on my server > > >please help In E2K3 you can now do a directory lookup and deny inbound traffic for smtp addresses that aren't in AD. There are other solutions for the older versions of Exchange. What ya got? Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exc...

SQL Statement for Adding Food Stamp Option to Non-Tax Items
Hi, I have a grocery store and have inputted about 1600 items. However, I only recently realized that I need to check the 'Accept Food Stamps for this Item' option for each item I add. It would take me quite a long time to do this. Can anyone help me with an SQL statement that I can use in SO Admin to apply the Food Stamp Option to all NON-Tax Items? If this is not possible, can some help me with a statement that will make all the items in the database have the 'food stamp option' checked? I have a lot less tax items, and unchecking them would be alot faster. Thanks...

VS 2005 hangs on launch
Since yesterday I've had problems with VS2005 hanging on launch (under Vista Ultimate). It opens up, presents a few white window panes and just fails to fill them in and sits there dead. The only way I have managed to get it back is to do a system restore to a point one minute past midinght on 18 May. So my first conclusion was that Windows Update had screwed it up. Now I am not so sure. I have tried to stop Windows Update doing anything to me without asking. I've even spent long periods with the router disconnected from the internet - but, strangely, I'm not even...

Project Server 2010 Question
I have a general Project Server 2010 question that I am hoping someone might be able to answer. Currently Project Server 2007 doesnt really support a distributed architecture - does anyone know if there any plans for this in 2010? Hi Chicagohunter, Try posting your question to the forum for Microsoft Project Server 2010. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/threads I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Project MVP Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional information about Microsoft Project ...

Avid Xpress DV Plugins Collection, Lightwave Plugins Collection, updated 28/Aug/2005
Avid Xpress DV Plugins Collection, Lightwave Plugins Collection, updated 28/Aug/2005 buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, ============================================================ Avid Xpress DV Plugins Collection, updated 28/Aug/2005 buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, Profound Effects Elastic Gasket v2.0 for Avid Xpress Primatte.Keyer.v1.6.for.Avid.Xpress Magic.Bullet.Editor.v.1.01.for.Avid.Xpress.Pro Synthetic.Apert...

Outlook 2000 #114
I am having difficulty with the program. I have tried reinstalling Outlook 2000 and it does not get rid of the problem below, that is under the messages heading: AAAAAAAAAAAAA 99999 and then in the body it says: yyy Really in desperately need of help. Thanks! ...

M2006 popup Ad on 2005 startup.
Any help available on how to remove the "buy 2006 Money" popup that appears during 2005 startup? I've selected the Turn off sponsorship...box in Program settings. Many thanks in advance. C. I don't know the answer to the problem, but I know it's not going to MicroSoft support. I first tried help support in money and got a blank browser screen. Then Microsoft support. They were responsive as far as turn around times but they tried to give me a lesson in pop-ups. Then wanted the serial number & version number of my Money 2005 package. That lead to the last reply whi...

Outlook 2003 + Exchange 2000
All new mails are automatically marked as read when in fact they are not. How can I fix this? Any help appreciated. > All new mails are automatically marked as read when in fact they are > not. How can I fix this? Any help appreciated. Do you have any rules configured? Does it happen for all users or just one? Does it happen regardless of whether you click on the message or not? Does it happen if you shut outlook down completely and look at OWA? -- -f.h. ...

GP 7.5 migrate from server to server
Hi there, We're planning on moving our Great Plains system from one server to another, and I'm trying to find out exactly what is involved. I don't know much about the exact specifics of how GP operates, but I have heard it is a client-only footprint? It's a SQL Server environment, currently running on a SBS 2003 server, and it will be moving to a 2003 Server with SQL Standard. Same domain, etc. Can someone run me through the steps that we would need to go through? Server-side, I would imagine its just a case of detaching and re-attaching the DB? What client settings w...

How to create a "catchall" mailbox sink for Exchange 2000
Hi, According to the description of this article, all the emails sent to a particular domain are captured and then sent to a single mailbox. That's the way the script works, but that's not what we need, the script doesn't send the mail to the final recipient. We require that all the incoming mails be captured, sent to a particular mail and then reach the destiny mailbox. Any idea about that? Thanks Chris C. Pd: I have Exchange 2003 Server ...

Money 2005 Cash Flow Shows Multiple Credit Card Payment
When I run the Cash Flow report in Money 2005 I have multiple transactions for my credit cards in the cash flow. And example is I have a recurring transaction for a credit card in the debt planner for $100.00 due on 3/5. I see the recurring transaction on the cash flow report. Right below the recurring transaction there is 2 more payments that are not recurring for the same credit card, same payment amount, and same payment date. In the bills and deposits section, I only show 1 transaction. Any suggestions? Edit the scheduled payment series. Just retype the amount or something else...