RMS should show what bar code it is going to print

Okk when a item is made in RMS and the customer makes his own barcode and
selects a barcode format to print it should show at the bottom of the screen
what barcode is being created(as in the case of UPC, EAN it has a check
Digit) That way the customer can put in the check digit in the number so it
will scann after printing.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=22169f7a-ad4d-4380-84a5-467b28ccb63e&dg=microsoft.public.pos
0
AlliedPOS (10)
6/10/2005 8:01:03 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Doesn't it already to this?
If they aren't entering true UPCs (12 digits) they should be using 128A.
EANs are 14 digits.

"AlliedPOS" wrote:

> Okk when a item is made in RMS and the customer makes his own barcode and
> selects a barcode format to print it should show at the bottom of the screen
> what barcode is being created(as in the case of UPC, EAN it has a check
> Digit) That way the customer can put in the check digit in the number so it
> will scann after printing.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=22169f7a-ad4d-4380-84a5-467b28ccb63e&dg=microsoft.public.pos
0
RonH (9)
6/15/2005 3:35:09 AM
Yes it creates the barcode but there is no way of knowing what the check
digit is until you print the code and then scan it. Then you have to go back
in and add the check digit. I want  RMS to tell the operator once it
generates the check digit to either put it in automatically or at least show
what it is going to be try it . Put in an 11 digit code then print the
barcode then try to scan. It will not work until you go back in and edit the
item and enter the check digit.
"Ron H." <RonH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Doesn't it already to this?
> If they aren't entering true UPCs (12 digits) they should be using 128A.
> EANs are 14 digits.
>
> "AlliedPOS" wrote:
>
>> Okk when a item is made in RMS and the customer makes his own barcode and
>> selects a barcode format to print it should show at the bottom of the
>> screen
>> what barcode is being created(as in the case of UPC, EAN it has a check
>> Digit) That way the customer can put in the check digit in the number so
>> it
>> will scann after printing.
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=22169f7a-ad4d-4380-84a5-467b28ccb63e&dg=microsoft.public.pos

0
Rick5747 (287)
6/15/2005 3:24:54 PM
What your asking for makes sense and should be part of the logic in RMS.
Currently the only part of RMS that displays that logic is the label utility
program. Keep in mind that you are actually running a separate program
albeit tightly integrated in RMS.

You can even put an incorrect check digit in RMS and it will display it,
find it, never know it is incorrect. Then when you print the bar code label
for that item the label program will print the bar code correctly with the
appropriate check digit even though it will display the incorrect digit
numerically. I know this is true with UPCA as it is all I use.

As you can imagine, this is a bear to figure out, everything that is human
readable seems correct. You must scan the bar code into some sort of text
editor like notepad to see the correct check digit. Yes it would be nice if
MS included this logic in RMS in some future release.

And better yet they could then write a more robust label print utility and
retire the one currently incorporated in RMS. If I could just get the MPQ
field on my labels without the current work around I use I probably wouldn't
care.

If you need an excel spreadsheet that calculates check digits for UPCA let
me know.

Ken Nelson

"rick" <rick@alliedpos.com> wrote in message
> Yes it creates the barcode but there is no way of knowing what the check
> digit is until you print the code and then scan it. Then you have to go
> back in and add the check digit. I want  RMS to tell the operator once it
> generates the check digit to either put it in automatically or at least
> show what it is going to be try it . Put in an 11 digit code then print
> the barcode then try to scan. It will not work until you go back in and
> edit the item and enter the check digit.
> "Ron H." <RonH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Doesn't it already to this?
>> If they aren't entering true UPCs (12 digits) they should be using 128A.
>> EANs are 14 digits.
>>
>> "AlliedPOS" wrote:
>>
>>> Okk when a item is made in RMS and the customer makes his own barcode
>>> and
>>> selects a barcode format to print it should show at the bottom of the
>>> screen
>>> what barcode is being created(as in the case of UPC, EAN it has a check
>>> Digit) That way the customer can put in the check digit in the number so
>>> it
>>> will scann after printing.
>>>
>>> ----------------
>>> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>>> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>>> "I
>>> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>>> this
>>> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
>>> then
>>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=22169f7a-ad4d-4380-84a5-467b28ccb63e&dg=microsoft.public.pos

0
ky59-n88i (39)
6/17/2005 1:47:15 PM
Not that this will help you much now, but if you set your barcode
scanner not to transmit the check digit, then you can ignore the check
digit. However, you'd have to remove the check digit on all of your
current products (although you could do that via database commands
too.)

Jared

rick wrote:
> Yes it creates the barcode but there is no way of knowing what the check
> digit is until you print the code and then scan it. Then you have to go back

0
Jared
6/18/2005 4:33:17 AM
"rick" wrote:
> Yes it creates the barcode but there is no way of knowing what the check
> digit is until you print the code and then scan it. Then you have to go back
> in and add the check digit.

There is no reason to do this. A UPC check digit is built into the code
itself.

RMS isn't supposed to generate barcode numbers. The label option is so you
can select the barcode format to match your item lookup number. If you select
UPC-A that means you are already entering those codes off the product box.

Where are you getting the 11 digit codes to begin with? Making them up? UPCs
are assigned to the manufacturer by the UCC. A retailer doesn't have any
reason to do that and shouldn't.

I suggest you set the barcode type to 128A and don't worry about the number
of digits or check digit. 128A works with any length lookup code and any
ASCII character.

If you really are scanning UPCs in as ILCs you can set the barcode type to
UPC-A and the barcode label will look just like the box code. Of course now
you have two barcodes on the same box unless you are covering the barcode on
the box with your label.

If you need to associate a UPC with an exiting item, add it as an Alias.

Ron H.
0
RonH (9)
6/19/2005 4:16:02 AM
I have problems with RMS bar-coding as well. See below.

RMS isn't supposed to generate barcode numbers. = Why not? This should be a
part of the program. Why could it not generate a barcode and if you liked,
use the manufacturers barcode (if available) as a alias.

Where are you getting the 11 digit codes to begin with? Making them up? =
Yes, I have to make mine up. I use a code to identify the product. If I buy
from ACME and their item is LF12653, my ILC is ACMELF12653. I have a sense
of what the item is then. I sell items from individual artists who do not
have barcodes (most do not even have item numbers!)

128A works with any length lookup code and any ASCII character. = Not true,
I use 1.25x1" labels and when my ILC is long (or too short) it does not
scan.

> "rick" wrote:
> > Yes it creates the barcode but there is no way of knowing what the check
> > digit is until you print the code and then scan it. Then you have to go
back
> > in and add the check digit.
>
> There is no reason to do this. A UPC check digit is built into the code
> itself.
>
> RMS isn't supposed to generate barcode numbers. The label option is so you
> can select the barcode format to match your item lookup number. If you
select
> UPC-A that means you are already entering those codes off the product box.
>
> Where are you getting the 11 digit codes to begin with? Making them up?
UPCs
> are assigned to the manufacturer by the UCC. A retailer doesn't have any
> reason to do that and shouldn't.
>
> I suggest you set the barcode type to 128A and don't worry about the
number
> of digits or check digit. 128A works with any length lookup code and any
> ASCII character.
>
> If you really are scanning UPCs in as ILCs you can set the barcode type to
> UPC-A and the barcode label will look just like the box code. Of course
now
> you have two barcodes on the same box unless you are covering the barcode
on
> the box with your label.
>
> If you need to associate a UPC with an exiting item, add it as an Alias.
>
> Ron H.

0
Butch4645 (32)
6/19/2005 11:59:52 AM
128A does indeed print all ASCII characters. You have created ILCs too long
to fit on your labels.

You are confusing the barcode format with barcode numbering. Retailers DON'T
NEED to generate barcode numbers for products. Manufacturers do.
Manufacturers purchase a license to do this from the UCC and are issued a
block of numbers.

UPC-A is an all numeric code consistiong of 12 digits. The first digit is
the industry code. The next 5 digits are the manufacturer ID followed by a 5
digit product ID number and a check digit. There are similar rules for UCC-8
codes.

Retailers DO NEED to render the ILCs they assign as barcodes on printed
labels. Since you are generating your own ILCs of mixed alpha-numeric
characters of variable length, you need to select 128A or Code 3 of 9 -- and
labels wide enough to support the longest number. (Code 3 of 9 requires
capital letters.)

The reason your long numbers don't scan is because the box size you defined
in Label Designer for the barcoded ILC is too small to print that length ILC
number with the correct density and bar spacing for scanning.

If your products are already UPCed by the manufacturer you can select <None>
as the barcode format and use small labels such as 1x1s with nothing more
than a price and description on the label, and perhaps your store name. Just
don't cover the UPC on the box with that label.

If your products don't have barcodes pre-printed on the box, you'll need to
assign ILCs and select a label size to accomodate the longest numbers you
plan to assign. 1"high x 2" wide (or wider) is a better choice in your case.
If you don't want larger labels you'll need to abbreviate your supplier names
to two characters such as AC for ACME and try to keep the product ID portion
as short as possible.

If you want to print barcoded ILCs on small labels like 1x1s, you should
consider a high density format such as Interleave 2 of 5 with all numeric
ILCs of fixed length. Example: 6 digit codes starting at 000001 or 100000
thru 999999.
If you don't have a lot of items 4 digits will do (9,999 possible entries).

You can also insert longer identifiers like ACMELF12653 into the Alias and
use them as alternate lookups.

Ron H.

The reason None is an option in
"Butch" wrote:

> I have problems with RMS bar-coding as well. See below.
>
> RMS isn't supposed to generate barcode numbers. = Why not? This should be a
> part of the program. Why could it not generate a barcode and if you liked,
> use the manufacturers barcode (if available) as a alias.
>
> Where are you getting the 11 digit codes to begin with? Making them up? =
> Yes, I have to make mine up. I use a code to identify the product. If I buy
> from ACME and their item is LF12653, my ILC is ACMELF12653. I have a sense
> of what the item is then. I sell items from individual artists who do not
> have barcodes (most do not even have item numbers!)
>
> 128A works with any length lookup code and any ASCII character. = Not true,
> I use 1.25x1" labels and when my ILC is long (or too short) it does not
> scan.
>

> "Ron H." <RonH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > "rick" wrote:
> > > Yes it creates the barcode but there is no way of knowing what the check
> > > digit is until you print the code and then scan it. Then you have to go
> back
> > > in and add the check digit.
> >
> > There is no reason to do this. A UPC check digit is built into the code
> > itself.
> >
> > RMS isn't supposed to generate barcode numbers. The label option is so you
> > can select the barcode format to match your item lookup number. If you
> select
> > UPC-A that means you are already entering those codes off the product box.
> >
> > Where are you getting the 11 digit codes to begin with? Making them up?
> UPCs
> > are assigned to the manufacturer by the UCC. A retailer doesn't have any
> > reason to do that and shouldn't.
> >
> > I suggest you set the barcode type to 128A and don't worry about the
> number
> > of digits or check digit. 128A works with any length lookup code and any
> > ASCII character.
> >
> > If you really are scanning UPCs in as ILCs you can set the barcode type to
> > UPC-A and the barcode label will look just like the box code. Of course
> now
> > you have two barcodes on the same box unless you are covering the barcode
> on
> > the box with your label.
> >
> > If you need to associate a UPC with an exiting item, add it as an Alias.
> >
> > Ron H.

0
RonH (9)
6/19/2005 1:50:01 PM
If you want to print barcoded ILCs on small labels like 1x1s, you should
consider a high density format such as Interleave 2 of 5 with all numeric
ILCs of fixed length. Example: 6 digit codes starting at 000001 or 100000
thru 999999.

 =  I think that RMS should automatically generate these for you in a
separate field other than ILC. It should be the users choice to use it or
not.

=
> > Yes, I have to make mine up. I use a code to identify the product. If I
buy
> > from ACME and their item is LF12653, my ILC is ACMELF12653. I have a
sense
> > of what the item is then. I sell items from individual artists who do
not
> > have barcodes (most do not even have item numbers!)
> >
> > 128A works with any length lookup code and any ASCII character. = Not
true,
> > I use 1.25x1" labels and when my ILC is long (or too short) it does not
> > scan.
> >

> > "Ron H." <RonH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > back
> > >
> > > There is no reason to do this. A UPC check digit is built into the
code
> > > itself.
> > >
> > > RMS isn't supposed to generate barcode numbers. The label option is so
you
> > > can select the barcode format to match your item lookup number. If you
> > select
> > > UPC-A that means you are already entering those codes off the product
box.

> > > Where are you getting the 11 digit codes to begin with? Making them
up?
> > UPCs
> > > are assigned to the manufacturer by the UCC. A retailer doesn't have
any
> > > reason to do that and shouldn't.
> > >
> > > I suggest you set the barcode type to 128A and don't worry about the
> > number
> > > of digits or check digit. 128A works with any length lookup code and
any
> > > ASCII character.
> > >
> > > If you really are scanning UPCs in as ILCs you can set the barcode
type to
> > > UPC-A and the barcode label will look just like the box code. Of
course
> > now
> > > you have two barcodes on the same box unless you are covering the
barcode
> > on
> > > the box with your label.
> > >
> > > If you need to associate a UPC with an exiting item, add it as an
Alias.

> > > Ron H.

0
Butch4645 (32)
6/20/2005 12:12:35 AM
Yep that's what we are doing is using a different symology. But my customer
wanted everything to be the same so wanted to make his own UPC just like his
other products. SO RMS should at least generate the check digit when you
make up your own. I know I told the customer he might get dups. and he did
on one item but no big deal.
"

0
Rick5747 (287)
6/20/2005 2:32:11 PM
Ken,

You mentioned you have an excel spreadsheet that calculates check digits for
UPCA.  Would you mind forwarding that on?  We are a small retail store trying
to get our inventory up and running and I can't seem to generate any readable
barcordes with item codes I am generating.

"Ken Nelson" wrote:

> What your asking for makes sense and should be part of the logic in RMS.
> Currently the only part of RMS that displays that logic is the label utility
> program. Keep in mind that you are actually running a separate program
> albeit tightly integrated in RMS.
>
> You can even put an incorrect check digit in RMS and it will display it,
> find it, never know it is incorrect. Then when you print the bar code label
> for that item the label program will print the bar code correctly with the
> appropriate check digit even though it will display the incorrect digit
> numerically. I know this is true with UPCA as it is all I use.
>
> As you can imagine, this is a bear to figure out, everything that is human
> readable seems correct. You must scan the bar code into some sort of text
> editor like notepad to see the correct check digit. Yes it would be nice if
> MS included this logic in RMS in some future release.
>
> And better yet they could then write a more robust label print utility and
> retire the one currently incorporated in RMS. If I could just get the MPQ
> field on my labels without the current work around I use I probably wouldn't
> care.
>
> If you need an excel spreadsheet that calculates check digits for UPCA let
> me know.
>
> Ken Nelson
>

> "rick" <rick@alliedpos.com> wrote in message
> > Yes it creates the barcode but there is no way of knowing what the check
> > digit is until you print the code and then scan it. Then you have to go
> > back in and add the check digit. I want  RMS to tell the operator once it
> > generates the check digit to either put it in automatically or at least
> > show what it is going to be try it . Put in an 11 digit code then print
> > the barcode then try to scan. It will not work until you go back in and
> > edit the item and enter the check digit.
> > "Ron H." <RonH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Doesn't it already to this?
> >> If they aren't entering true UPCs (12 digits) they should be using 128A.
> >> EANs are 14 digits.

0
Jordan (28)

Can I show a number like 1,935,674,923 as 1.9B?
I would like to reformat 10- and 11-digit the numbers (e.g. like 1,935,674,923 as 1.9B). Can this be done? Custom format: 0.0,,,"B" best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:262241F3-063E-4F97-B864-A629EC670112@microsoft.com... > I would like to reformat 10- and 11-digit the numbers (e.g. like > 1,935,674,923 as 1.9B). Can this be done? Dave, Use a custom format of #.#,,,"B" or 0.0,,,"B" depending on ho...

Multiple stacked bar charts

code examples for BITS
Hi, I am looking for sample codes for programming background intelligent transfer service..I was able to see sample code in .NET, but I'm specifically looking for VC++ 6.0 (command-line application).Please help me.. Thanks, NKH ...

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

printing 2 charts on single page

printing multiple copies of Sigel GmbH

printing imported gif files in Excel

Showing 3:54PM instead of 3:54:03PM

Merge code issues with Publisher 2003

Doesn't show busy,when scheduling meeting
Hello I have a user, who has meetings scheduled and shows up in her Calendar fine. But, when she or someone else tries to schedule new meeting, invite her, it doesn't show her busy schedule. It indicates as if she is available all time. Secondly, when she edits the meeting and marks as "Out of Office", than it shows up as busy. Her Out of Office is Off. Outlook 2000 with Exchange corporate setup. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks ...

MS Access 2007 code not running

TSP100 printer and print width
Hi all, After pull my hair out for a half of day, I just find out that TSP100 printer driver reports its print width incorrectly when we use GetDeviceCaps to retrieve print width. Call GetDeviceCaps with PHYSICALWIDTH will report 1725 that is roughtly equal to 8.5 inches corresponding to 203ppi that LOGPIXELSX reported. Just let you all know This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C92EF4.F767C240 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable After you installed the printer, did you change the p...

landed costs in MS RMS
Is there a standard functionality on handling landed costs (allocating freight and other related costs to the value of goods purchased)? We've heard that there's add-on that need to purchased in addition to RMS to support this feature and so far we couldn't hear of someone who has used it. Try contacting www.retailrealm.us directly for a reference on the Landed Cost add-on. Rob "Kstylian" <Kstylian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83D5F933-4592-4AEE-AE31-7673261F88EC@microsoft.com... > Is there a standard functionality on handling landed ...

Copy and close code
Hi, I have a worksheet which uses an indirect formula to search through a series of files/sheets based on an address to return a value from cell AE20. Once the data has been copied for all the previous days I would like a copy/paste values to occur to replace any of the values returned by the formula. In AU10:AU381 there is a 1 or 0 for each row. 1 meaning that a copy/pastevalues can be performed (decided by if the date is < today), and zero if i need to keep the formulas. Is it possible to have a copy/paste values code for only sheets 2-4 which works when the file is...

Printing in reverse order
When I try to print from excel and want the apges to print in reverse order (i.e first page of document printed last) even if I select this feature from the print setup exel still prints the first page first!! Is there a fix available?? I use Office XP (2002) and HP printers Thank you Printing options available in Excel are limited by the available connected printer(s). Any issues with printing are generally associated to the printer and drivers installed, not with Excel itself. Verify your printer actually supports reverse printing and that you have the latest drivers installed for ...

Printing contacts finally partially repaired
Two printing problems with Outlook 2007, the first solved, the second still not solved. First: So, finally, I don't know when, Outlook was repaired such that one could print out individual contacts as detailed address cards. This was broken for quite some time. Anyway, now those of us who choose to print out copies of address books are once again rewarded with this possibility. BUT..there is always a but, Outlook does not yet completely properly format the printing for all of the book and booklet possibilities which the software presents, especially for doing double...

going live and outlook
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9886941/ If microsoft wants to go live, she should consider easy synchronization in outlook ! exciter <t24680@hotmail.com> wrote: > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9886941/ > > If microsoft wants to go live, she should consider easy > synchronization in outlook ! Sounds like a scheme to add additional license fees on top of what one already pays. -- Brian Tillman Its up to the company to charge additional costs. I believe that msn has some margin to sacrifice from its profit margin for the sake of future profits. People use computers, at ho...