RMS 2.0/Windows Permissions Error

Good Morning Everyone, I have a question for the group.

I have a customer running RMS 2.0, pre SP2 on Windows XP.  The customer is
trying to lock down his cashiers from installing unauthorized software and
other such abuses on the computers.  Here is the problem.  When locked down
he is getting the error: "Server Failure 139: A server failure occurred
while attempting to read the register."  This error only happens as the POS
and goes away when the user is added as a local administrator.  I am fairly
confident this is a problem with permissions regarding licensing or OPOS,
but I have given full permissions to everyone for every registry key I
thought would be appropriate as well as the RMS folder in C:\.  Has anyone
else had a similar issue or any thoughts as to where I could give more
permissions to make this work?

I give my thanks in advance.

--
Thank you,
Ryan Sakry

0
rsakry (322)
6/8/2009 2:31:41 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The best solution
They need employee policy The employee cant play on pos pc while
working.First step warning then send home. The unemployment rates are 11% in
US. Lots of other good fish in ocean. Right ?

--
Thank You
Harjit SherGill /DBA

"Ryan" <rsakry@rite.us> wrote in message
> Good Morning Everyone, I have a question for the group.
>
> I have a customer running RMS 2.0, pre SP2 on Windows XP.  The customer is
> trying to lock down his cashiers from installing unauthorized software and
> other such abuses on the computers.  Here is the problem.  When locked
> down he is getting the error: "Server Failure 139: A server failure
> occurred while attempting to read the register."  This error only happens
> as the POS and goes away when the user is added as a local administrator.
> I am fairly confident this is a problem with permissions regarding
> licensing or OPOS, but I have given full permissions to everyone for every
> registry key I thought would be appropriate as well as the RMS folder in
> C:\.  Has anyone else had a similar issue or any thoughts as to where I
> could give more permissions to make this work?
>
> I give my thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Thank you,
> Ryan Sakry
> Program Manager
> Retail Information Technology Enterprises
> 320-230-2288
> rsakry@rite.us
> http://www.rite.us

0
gill6764 (101)
6/8/2009 6:54:27 PM
I have cashiers as local users and give rights to users in registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Retail Management System

Koit Lahesoo

"Ryan" <rsakry@rite.us> wrote in message
> Good Morning Everyone, I have a question for the group.
>
> I have a customer running RMS 2.0, pre SP2 on Windows XP.  The customer is
> trying to lock down his cashiers from installing unauthorized software and
> other such abuses on the computers.  Here is the problem.  When locked
> down he is getting the error: "Server Failure 139: A server failure
> occurred while attempting to read the register."  This error only happens
> as the POS and goes away when the user is added as a local administrator.
> I am fairly confident this is a problem with permissions regarding
> licensing or OPOS, but I have given full permissions to everyone for every
> registry key I thought would be appropriate as well as the RMS folder in
> C:\.  Has anyone else had a similar issue or any thoughts as to where I
> could give more permissions to make this work?
>
> I give my thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Thank you,
> Ryan Sakry
> Program Manager
> Retail Information Technology Enterprises
> 320-230-2288
> rsakry@rite.us
> http://www.rite.us

0
koit (55)

"Koit Lahesoo" <koit@pcexpert.ee> wrote in message
>I have cashiers as local users and give rights to users in registry:
>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Retail Management System
>
> Koit Lahesoo
>
> "Ryan" <rsakry@rite.us> wrote in message
>> Good Morning Everyone, I have a question for the group.
>>
>> I have a customer running RMS 2.0, pre SP2 on Windows XP.  The customer
>> is trying to lock down his cashiers from installing unauthorized software
>> and other such abuses on the computers.  Here is the problem.  When
>> locked down he is getting the error: "Server Failure 139: A server
>> failure occurred while attempting to read the register."  This error only
>> happens as the POS and goes away when the user is added as a local
>> administrator. I am fairly confident this is a problem with permissions
>> regarding licensing or OPOS, but I have given full permissions to
>> everyone for every registry key I thought would be appropriate as well as
>> the RMS folder in C:\.  Has anyone else had a similar issue or any
>> thoughts as to where I could give more permissions to make this work?
>>
>> I give my thanks in advance.
>>
>> --
>> Thank you,
>> Ryan Sakry
>> Program Manager
>> Retail Information Technology Enterprises
>> 320-230-2288
>> rsakry@rite.us
>> http://www.rite.us

0
rsakry (322)
6/10/2009 3:45:14 PM
Koit,
Thanks for that.  I know we have done this before too, and I have granted
that key full control to everyone.  Still same errors.  I'm thinking it has
something to do with OPOS or licensing.

--
Thank you,
Ryan Sakry
Program Manager
Retail Information Technology Enterprises
320-230-2288
rsakry@rite.us
http://www.rite.us

"Koit Lahesoo" <koit@pcexpert.ee> wrote in message
>I have cashiers as local users and give rights to users in registry:
>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Retail Management System
>
> Koit Lahesoo
>
> "Ryan" <rsakry@rite.us> wrote in message
>> Good Morning Everyone, I have a question for the group.
>>
>> I have a customer running RMS 2.0, pre SP2 on Windows XP.  The customer
>> is trying to lock down his cashiers from installing unauthorized software
>> and other such abuses on the computers.  Here is the problem.  When
>> locked down he is getting the error: "Server Failure 139: A server
>> failure occurred while attempting to read the register."  This error only
>> happens as the POS and goes away when the user is added as a local
>> administrator. I am fairly confident this is a problem with permissions
>> regarding licensing or OPOS, but I have given full permissions to
>> everyone for every registry key I thought would be appropriate as well as
>> the RMS folder in C:\.  Has anyone else had a similar issue or any
>> thoughts as to where I could give more permissions to make this work?
>>
>> I give my thanks in advance.
>>
>> --
>> Thank you,
>> Ryan Sakry
>> Program Manager
>> Retail Information Technology Enterprises
>> 320-230-2288
>> rsakry@rite.us
>> http://www.rite.us

0
rsakry (322)
6/10/2009 3:46:04 PM
Yes, then some other issue.
I have noticed too that in HQ systems stores check dont work at new POS
computers when users have limited accounts. The thing to do is to run pos
once with admin account and do the store check - after that it will work for
users too.
Run (or right click on program and run as):
runas /user:administrator "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Retail Management
System\Store Operations\soposuser.exe"

Regards,
Koit Lahesoo

>>> rsakry@rite.us
>>> http://www.rite.us

0
koit (55)

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Installation 11-08-07

Windows XP x64 MFC application problem
I can't start my application on Windows XP Prof. 64-bit wersion, there is messagebox "Failed to create empty document". Application works fine on Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP Prof. SP2. What can I do to solove this probem? >I can't start my application on Windows XP Prof. 64-bit wersion, there is >messagebox "Failed to create empty document". Application works fine on >Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP Prof. SP2. What can I do to solove this >probem? The obvious response is - try debugging it on that platform and find where it's giving rise ...

More Columns #2

Linking files 2 ways

RMS V2 and QSC Import
I have successfully imported several of my customers products using the QSC Import tool as a test but am unable to import the items with any association with sales tax? The default Sales Tax is TAX which is what I plan on using but once imported it creates a new item code TAX so now I have two? I plan on importing several hundred products and any help would be much appreciated. -Jess Reference- https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/rms/downloads/releases/rms_so_importutility.htm i use the same tool but i dont tell the import utility anything about tax. import the items witho...

Goal Seek #2

Error 550 Relaying denied

MS POS = RMS? Also, SQL Connectivity...

Offline Synchronization Problem #2