Restore ability to enter 20 character PO Numbers

With the 1.3R release, RMS will not allow PO Numbers longer than 14
characters.  Before the 1.3R release, RMS allowed PO Numbers up to 20
characters.

After installing the 1.3R release I reported this defect.  The support team
responded that this change was by design.  They claimed that the change was
made to work around a defect - "we had a bug with inter-store inventory
transfers erroring out when the PO number is greater than 14 characters".

This type of quick and easy fix (crippling the UI to work around a defect)
is just plain wrong for at least a couple of reasons.

1) Customers (like me) who have been using the software for a few years may
have evolved business systems that rely on the original capabilities of the
software as we bought it.  It is not appropriate to take away functionality
we have already paid for, and evolved our business around, because you want
to save on development costs in fixing defects properly.

2) Microsoft encourages the development of customizations to RMS.  With this
in mind, it is bad practice to have a field in the database of type
nvarchar(20) when populating that field with 20 characters will cause the
software to malfunction.  You guys need to do a proper fix on the inter-store
transfer defect, don't just cripple the UI and call it fixed.  Customization
developers are going to continue tripping over this defect.

I previously worked at Microsoft in both development and test.  I remember
all those company wide emails from Balmer urging us to "delight the
customer".  Well guys, I'm now a customer and I'm not delighted.  Let's spend
the resources and get this thing fixed properly.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=bde4ecdd-97e0-4d48-9a02-97d72aefc4ee&dg=microsoft.public.pos
0
JamesB (43)
7/20/2006 2:02:01 AM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If you do not have an HQ you are quite right.  With HQ what was happenning
was that at HQ yhe transfer would add a 6 bit prefix of store ID and thus
blowing the transfer id to 26 which then caused the HQ Transfers not to
work.  So I am glad this BUG is taken care of.  But rather than using the
Transfer Number as a 14+ field why not use the Title portion which allows
you a large entry string A/N.

Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ]
CEO - Retail Realm
= = = = = =
"James B." <JamesB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> With the 1.3R release, RMS will not allow PO Numbers longer than 14
> characters.  Before the 1.3R release, RMS allowed PO Numbers up to 20
> characters.
>
> After installing the 1.3R release I reported this defect.  The support
> team
> responded that this change was by design.  They claimed that the change
> was
> made to work around a defect - "we had a bug with inter-store inventory
> transfers erroring out when the PO number is greater than 14 characters".
>
> This type of quick and easy fix (crippling the UI to work around a defect)
> is just plain wrong for at least a couple of reasons.
>
> 1) Customers (like me) who have been using the software for a few years
> may
> have evolved business systems that rely on the original capabilities of
> the
> software as we bought it.  It is not appropriate to take away
> functionality
> we have already paid for, and evolved our business around, because you
> want
> to save on development costs in fixing defects properly.
>
> 2) Microsoft encourages the development of customizations to RMS.  With
> this
> in mind, it is bad practice to have a field in the database of type
> nvarchar(20) when populating that field with 20 characters will cause the
> software to malfunction.  You guys need to do a proper fix on the
> inter-store
> transfer defect, don't just cripple the UI and call it fixed.
> Customization
> developers are going to continue tripping over this defect.
>
> I previously worked at Microsoft in both development and test.  I remember
> all those company wide emails from Balmer urging us to "delight the
> customer".  Well guys, I'm now a customer and I'm not delighted.  Let's
> spend
> the resources and get this thing fixed properly.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=bde4ecdd-97e0-4d48-9a02-97d72aefc4ee&dg=microsoft.public.pos

0
afshin (783)
7/27/2006 3:00:59 AM
Thank you for your suggestion Afshin.

We like to append a delimiter and invoice number onto the PONumber when
closing Purchase Orders because this is a handy way we have found to get the
Invoice numbers into QuickBooks from RMS (the PONumbers flow into the "Ref.
Number" column in QB when the bills are created from closed POs).

From your description of the problem, it is hard for me to understand why
the defect couldn't have been fixed by increasing the length of the database
column (and, if need be, any data structures used in the transfer) to
accommodate the extra six characters of StoreID.  I doubt that the code for
this product has the developers so boxed in that crippling the UI was the
only fix available to them.

"Afshin Alikhani" wrote:

> If you do not have an HQ you are quite right.  With HQ what was happenning
> was that at HQ yhe transfer would add a 6 bit prefix of store ID and thus
> blowing the transfer id to 26 which then caused the HQ Transfers not to
> work.  So I am glad this BUG is taken care of.  But rather than using the
> Transfer Number as a 14+ field why not use the Title portion which allows
> you a large entry string A/N.
>

> Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ]
> CEO - Retail Realm
> = = = = = =
> "James B." <JamesB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > With the 1.3R release, RMS will not allow PO Numbers longer than 14
> > characters.  Before the 1.3R release, RMS allowed PO Numbers up to 20
> > characters.
> >
> > After installing the 1.3R release I reported this defect.  The support
> > team
> > responded that this change was by design.  They claimed that the change
> > was
> > made to work around a defect - "we had a bug with inter-store inventory
> > transfers erroring out when the PO number is greater than 14 characters".
> >
> > This type of quick and easy fix (crippling the UI to work around a defect)
> > is just plain wrong for at least a couple of reasons.
> >
> > 1) Customers (like me) who have been using the software for a few years
> > may
> > have evolved business systems that rely on the original capabilities of
> > the
> > software as we bought it.  It is not appropriate to take away
> > functionality
> > we have already paid for, and evolved our business around, because you
> > want
> > to save on development costs in fixing defects properly.
> >
> > 2) Microsoft encourages the development of customizations to RMS.  With
> > this
> > in mind, it is bad practice to have a field in the database of type
> > nvarchar(20) when populating that field with 20 characters will cause the
> > software to malfunction.  You guys need to do a proper fix on the
> > inter-store
> > transfer defect, don't just cripple the UI and call it fixed.
> > Customization
> > developers are going to continue tripping over this defect.
> >
> > I previously worked at Microsoft in both development and test.  I remember
> > all those company wide emails from Balmer urging us to "delight the
> > customer".  Well guys, I'm now a customer and I'm not delighted.  Let's
> > spend
> > the resources and get this thing fixed properly.
> >
> > ----------------
> > this
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=bde4ecdd-97e0-4d48-9a02-97d72aefc4ee&dg=microsoft.public.pos

0
JamesB (43)
7/31/2006 1:07:01 AM
I agree but I think what MS did was a quick fix and they did not want to do
a structural change.  I guess we will have to wait for version 2 and 3 to
start seeing real improvements in HQ.

Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ]
CEO - Retail Realm
= = = = = = =
> [...]
>> > Customization
>> > developers are going to continue tripping over this defect.
>> >
>> > I previously worked at Microsoft in both development and test.  I
>> > remember
>> > all those company wide emails from Balmer urging us to "delight the
>> > customer".  Well guys, I'm now a customer and I'm not delighted.  Let's
>> > spend
>> > the resources and get this thing fixed properly.
>> >
>> > ----------------
>> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>> > "I
>> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>> > this
>> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

sequential number
I want to a sequential number to fill in automatically each time the form is filled out. Malissa, A simple way would be to use something like this, you could assign it to a button, an open or before print event. Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = _ Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value + 1 For other ways to do this or if this is going to be used in a temple have a look here http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others...

Export to excel from ASP.Net
I have a page wherein the contents of a datagrid are exported to an excel file. All the columns are correctly displayed in excel except for the number columns. The formatting string for the number column is {0:#,##0.00; (#,##0.00);0.00}. The data is formatted for all numbers exceeding 1000 but for any number below 1000 the data is displayed as 1000 and not with 0's in the decimal places. (displayed as 999 instead of 999.00). ...

Question on Returns to Vendor without PO & Receipt number
Our company switched to Great Plains Dynamics from Simply Accounting 3 months ago. We currently need to return some of the inventory items to our vendors. However, when we try to enter a transaction entry in Purchasing/Returns Transaction Entry, in the detail lines we are asked for the PO number or the receipt number. We are not allowed to go further or save without the PO number or receipt number. When we converted from Simply Accounting, all we entered was the beginning balance of the vendors and only the PO's which we expect to receive. The older PO's were not carried over. W...

Emailing Tracking Numbers
I have integrated a website with RMS. When orders come in, I make them a workorder and send a PO to the distributor that will ship the product. At the end of the day, the distrbutor sends me the tracking number. When I bring up the customers order and enter the tracking number, I then complete the transcation, then press Shift/Control/F8 to mark the order processed. Does this send the tracking number to the customer? If not, how can I do that with out going to Outlook and physically doing so? Bill, RMS does not send one. Sounds like a good idea though. Maybe add it to the sugge...

Need HELP with Exchange Restore/Recovery
Details: 2003 sp2 Exchange Server Enterprise 2003 sp1 Server Enterprise C: drive is 100GB Logical Drive over x4 36GB drives in a RAID 5 set D: drive is 280GB Logical Drive over x5 70GB drives in a RAID 5 set Domain Controller Last night I upgraded our 2003 sp1 Exchange to sp2 + any O/S hot fixes and DST fix. No problem with the upgrade or hot fix, but @ about 200 a.m. I lost two of the five drives in the RAID 5 set (drive D) that had the exchange install. I’m currently replacing the hardware & bringing up the drives & going to recreate the D: drive. (server is bootable) I h...

Unable to Open received PO (change to "change order")
Great Plains will not allow me to change this Purchase Order from Received to Change Order: Here is the message I get: However, if I try to enter a quantity cancelled, I get: How can I re-open this Purchase Order so I can change the price??? Thank you. Unfortunately, the pasted messages did not come through. Once a line item is received, you can change its cost only during invoice matching. The process would be to return the item; add a new row with the correct cost; and receive and invoice the new item. Not an elegant solution, for sure. -- Charles Allen, MVP &quo...

Select a certain number of cells in a row
Hi, I'd like to have the macro to select row 5 to 10 in the active column. May I know what is the VB code to write? Regards, Valerie maybe... dim myRng as range dim myCol as long with activesheet mycol = activecell.Column set myrng = .range(.cells(5,mycol),.cells(10,mycol)) end with myrng.select ======= or with activesheet .cells(5,activecell.column).resize(6).select end with I'm not quite sure why you want to select that range. But for the most part, if you act directly on the range (and avoid .selects), you're code will work faster and be easier to modify. Dolph...

Window's verson numbers
I'm writing an app in C++ using VS.net and I need to do this based on the OS. I can get the OS version number using _osver global variable found in the include STDLIB.H. But I need a list of what version number correspond to what OS so I know what the value in _osver means. Does anyone know where I can find these definitions? Also the major and minor builds might be useful? If this is the wrong newsgroup could you direct me to the right one? Thank Lots, Neil Neil B wrote: >I'm writing an app in C++ using VS.net and I need to do this based on the OS. >I can get the OS ver...

A/R
Allow the ability to refund to a credit card ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=407d3a67-581a-4ea1-91f3-cd2186c25a89&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains ...

2007 Slide Numbering doesn't work
I have a presentation in which the numbering doesn't work...I've gone step by step through everything I can find but I don't see it. Checked the master to ensure a placeholder was there, that the text is visible. I click on the slide thumbnail, click insert / slide number, check off slide numbering, click apply to all and okay. Nothing appears. When I go back to insert / slide number, nothing is checked. Any thoughts? Try ticking the option for slide number in Insert | Header and Footer instead. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's ne...

macro to generate next number
Hi, i need a macro to look in sheet 2 column A and look at the last filled cell. In the last filled cell i have a number. When i run macro, i need to generate (in sheet1 A1) the number from the last filled cell +1. EX: sheet 2 last filled cell = 29 sheet1 after macro i need to have in A1 = 30 Can this be done? Thanks! Hi, Yuo can have a macro if you want but you don't need one, try this =OFFSET(Sheet2!A1,COUNTA(Sheet2!A:A)-1,0) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still suffici...

List number of permutations for text nums
I've got 4 digit text nums in A1 down In B1 down, I would like to list the corresponding number of permutations, eg: 7777 1 1777 4 0044 6 2477 12 1234 24 Game for any formula, udf or other vba solution Thanks for insights Sub permutations() Dim I As Integer, J As Integer, Rng As Integer Rng =3D Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row J =3D 1 Range("A1").Select Do Until ActiveCell.Value =3D "" For I =3D 1 To Rng Cells(J, "D").Value =3D "'" & ActiveCell & Cells(I, &qu...

Determine when Enter Key is pressed in a sheet??
I want to determine when Enter key is pressed in a sheet that is active?? I would like then to run a macro when the Enter key is pressed ?? The Enter Key is not a capturable event. Worksheet change is This added to the individual worksheet in VBA will trigger when ever the sheet is changed. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target as Range) 'Do Stuff End Sub If you are going to make changes to the sheet using this event is is usually a good idea to turn off events at the start and then turn them back on at the end. Otherwise the changes trigger this macro again....

CLick on Box to enter time of day
I have a worksheet where payment is entered in column C. I would like to use Column B as a time stamp. In other words as soon as data is entered in C5 then the exact time comes up in B5. When data is entered in C6 then the exact time cones up in C5. I do not want this time to change even when the page is saved and opened later on. Elfego You can enter a static time in a cell by hitting CTRL + SHIFT + ;(semi-colon) You could also use event code to enter a static date when you enter something in a cell. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) 'when entering data in ...

page number
How do I remove page number from single pages, not only frontpage You can either insert a section break either side the un-numbered page and change the numbering in the new section or you can conditionally insert the page number in all the pages using fields e.g. {IF {Page} <> 4 "{Page}"} will insert the page number on all pages except page 4. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mv...

Why the Character O disappers
Hello, When I type a sentence that starts with the letter O, then I click on bullets or numbering, the letter O disappears. This happens in Word 2007 or 2010. What is happening? T.I. Word thinks you are using O as a bullet. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "TITANI" <TITANI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2BE7640D-63C6-4AC8-A6BA-A9CA18992C67@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > When I type a sentence that starts with the letter O, then I click on > bullets...

Time entered (and handled as data) in simple minutes and seconds.
Using Excel 2003. How can I get Excel to display and handle entries for duration in minutes and seconds only (without having to enter a 4'30" entry as 0:04:30)? I have gotten as far as getting it to display as "04:30.0", but all I need is single digit minutes (data on this spreadsheet will never go over 9:59) and double digit seconds (and to be able to enter them simply as in "4:30"). I couldn't find that as an option in the ones listed for time in the cell format dialogue box. Right now I have to enter 0:04:30 in order to get it to work right. Is t...

Transcation cannot be entered
When I try to entery a bill transcation I receive the following Message. "this transcation cannot be entered" What is the fixed on this? thanks See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q104 "groupvi@aol.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:063701c3d956$2ef6b1c0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When I try to entery a bill transcation I receive the > following Message. "this transcation cannot be entered" > What is the fixed on this? ...

Convert Text to Number on 4,508 excel files.
Hi all. I'm faced with a rather unique problem.I have a large amount of improperly formatted excel files. They all have various cells formatted as text, yet they contain numbers and perform calculations on the cells. I now need to get these in a proper state. What I need is: Conversion of all text boxes containing numbers over to proper format of number. Do it automagically. I don't relish the thought of opening each one individually and fixing it. Any thoughts, tips or ideas on this? It could possible if you process that works by Scripting . In Scripting engine 5.6 Filesystem...

Incrementing Numbers ?
Hello, I have a column with, e.g., two numbers in it. Say a 2 and the next one down is a 4. How do I select one or both so that I can simply just drag down and have a long column with: 2 4 6 8 10 etc. And, if there are already a lot of numbers in the column, must one delete them first for the scheme to work ? I tried a few methods, but just can't seem to get it to work. Also, couldn't find anything in the HELP menu for this. Thanks, Bob Select both cells then drag the bottom right corner down. The cursor turns into a small black cross when you hover over the bottom right corner ...

PO upload with Project Accounting
I need upload Purchase order with project accounting. How can i do this requirement?? Please help on this. Integration Manager is one option. You'll need to install the eConnect adapter. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Peter" wrote: > I need upload Purchase order with project accounting. > How can i do this requirement?? > Please help on this. ...

Safe Pay Confirmation Number
Is there anyway to remove the prompt for a confirmation number that Safe Pay displays after you hit the Upload button? I want it to save the last upload date and the results of the ME123504 table without having to enter that number. Thanks, ...

How to replace attribute's special characters using XMLTextReader
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C73D6E.D1CCB820 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi all, I ran into a problem where my XMLTextReader fails on .Read() when I have = "<" character in one of the attribute's values. What I am trying to do = is replace illegal characters ("<", "&" , etc.) with legal stuff = ("&lt;", "&amp;", etc.), before I send the XML text to a SQL Server = stored procedure. Currently, I am using XM...

testing for left 2 characters in set of 3 choices
following returns true even if false a1=ab1234 b1=if(left A1,2)=or("cd","ef","gh"),1,2) test if A1=cd or ef or gh, true 1, false 2 the above should return 2 false but returns 1 true in error? I tried formula evaluation and it shows "ab"=false but then evalutes combined to true in error. =IF(OR(LEFT(A1,2)={"cd","ef","gh"}),1,2) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 Hi, =IF(OR(LEFT(A1,2)="cd",LEFT(A1,2)="ef",LEFT(A1,2)="gh"),1,2) "MusicMan" wrote: > followi...

Workflow 02-20-05
Hi all, In the workflow manager for one of our clients we have added a radio button to trigger an e-mail. How it is ment to work is, When the accounting department recieves payment for an order they change the radio button option and then "save and close" the record in order to generate (via the workflow) an e-mail to the dispatch division. So once payment is recieved dispatch get an e-mail to then package the order to be sent out. Only problem is, both at our test site and at the client site this is not generation ANY activity let alone an e-mail. Any help what so ever will be...