Purpose of Matrix Item Type

Hello,

I have been using RMS for over a year, and have never used the matrix item
type, mainly because I do not want an unmanageable number of items.  The last
POS system I used had sub item matrices for size, color, etc.  It seems like
RMS just adds more items, right?  If so, what is the purpose (usefullness?)
of matrices?  Other than through a member of the matrix, how do you access
information about the matrix?

Here's and example of what I want to do.  Shoe abc, with widths (M, W), and
sizes.  Sometimes I care about item abc (sales reporting), and sometimes I
care about the more specific item abcM10 (receiving, selling, reordering).
It is not very useful to look at top item sales reports and see abcM10,
abcM11, abcM12, etc.

Anyway, sorry for not being very clear, but can someone point me to either
(1) an RMS add-on that might do what I want, or (2) a better explanation of
the usefulness of matrices?

Thanks,
Greg Shepherd
FRGUSA
0
gregfrgusa (35)
2/1/2008 9:23:41 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

hi, I have some matrix reports develop in crystal 8.5 and will send you soon
after updating, it, meantime tell me the version of RMS you are using and
also the name of database.

"gregfrgusa" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using RMS for over a year, and have never used the matrix item
> type, mainly because I do not want an unmanageable number of items.  The last
> POS system I used had sub item matrices for size, color, etc.  It seems like
> RMS just adds more items, right?  If so, what is the purpose (usefullness?)
> of matrices?  Other than through a member of the matrix, how do you access
> information about the matrix?
>
> Here's and example of what I want to do.  Shoe abc, with widths (M, W), and
> sizes.  Sometimes I care about item abc (sales reporting), and sometimes I
> care about the more specific item abcM10 (receiving, selling, reordering).
> It is not very useful to look at top item sales reports and see abcM10,
> abcM11, abcM12, etc.
>
> Anyway, sorry for not being very clear, but can someone point me to either
> (1) an RMS add-on that might do what I want, or (2) a better explanation of
> the usefulness of matrices?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg Shepherd
> FRGUSA
0
AkberAlwani (916)
2/5/2008 6:20:00 AM
Akber,

Can you email me those matrix reports as well please? My email address is
alexvATcfl.rr.com

"Akber Alwani" <AkberAlwani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, I have some matrix reports develop in crystal 8.5 and will send you
> soon
> after updating, it, meantime tell me the version of RMS you are using and
> also the name of database.
>
> "gregfrgusa" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been using RMS for over a year, and have never used the matrix
>> item
>> type, mainly because I do not want an unmanageable number of items.  The
>> last
>> POS system I used had sub item matrices for size, color, etc.  It seems
>> like
>> RMS just adds more items, right?  If so, what is the purpose
>> (usefullness?)
>> of matrices?  Other than through a member of the matrix, how do you
>> access
>> information about the matrix?
>>
>> Here's and example of what I want to do.  Shoe abc, with widths (M, W),
>> and
>> sizes.  Sometimes I care about item abc (sales reporting), and sometimes
>> care about the more specific item abcM10 (receiving, selling,
>> reordering).
>> It is not very useful to look at top item sales reports and see abcM10,
>> abcM11, abcM12, etc.
>>
>> Anyway, sorry for not being very clear, but can someone point me to
>> either
>> (1) an RMS add-on that might do what I want, or (2) a better explanation
>> of
>> the usefulness of matrices?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Greg Shepherd
>> FRGUSA

0
Alex6724 (221)
2/5/2008 9:00:07 PM
Hi Akber,

RMS version 1.3.1011...will be upgrading to 2.0 shortly.
My email is greg@frgusa.com.  The name of the database is POS,
us MSSQLServer.

Thanks,
Greg

"Alex" wrote:

> Akber,
>
> Can you email me those matrix reports as well please? My email address is
> alexvATcfl.rr.com
>
> "Akber Alwani" <AkberAlwani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi, I have some matrix reports develop in crystal 8.5 and will send you
> > soon
> > after updating, it, meantime tell me the version of RMS you are using and
> > also the name of database.
> >
> > "gregfrgusa" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have been using RMS for over a year, and have never used the matrix
> >> item
> >> type, mainly because I do not want an unmanageable number of items.  The
> >> last
> >> POS system I used had sub item matrices for size, color, etc.  It seems
> >> like
> >> RMS just adds more items, right?  If so, what is the purpose
> >> (usefullness?)
> >> of matrices?  Other than through a member of the matrix, how do you
> >> access
> >> information about the matrix?
> >>
> >> Here's and example of what I want to do.  Shoe abc, with widths (M, W),
> >> and
> >> sizes.  Sometimes I care about item abc (sales reporting), and sometimes
> >> care about the more specific item abcM10 (receiving, selling,
> >> reordering).
> >> It is not very useful to look at top item sales reports and see abcM10,
> >> abcM11, abcM12, etc.
> >>
> >> Anyway, sorry for not being very clear, but can someone point me to
> >> either
> >> (1) an RMS add-on that might do what I want, or (2) a better explanation
> >> of
> >> the usefulness of matrices?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Greg Shepherd