Possible to have RMS send automated emails?

Question I have been unable to get answered on the POS system (running a
single store with no HQ module).  Is there an add-on or programming
possibility in the SQL database to have POS send an automated email?  For
example to send the store owner a nightly copy of the Z-report?  Or if
inventory for specific items gets too low to send the owner an email with
details so he/she might take re-order actions, etc?  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

email alerts are not a part of the RMS package, and I don't know of any
add-ons that allow it.  You might want to check out SQL Server
notification services and reporting services - I believe they are
available as part of the SQL 2005 Express Advanced download.

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

Bob Thrasher wrote:
> Question I have been unable to get answered on the POS system (running a
> single store with no HQ module).  Is there an add-on or programming
> possibility in the SQL database to have POS send an automated email?  For
> example to send the store owner a nightly copy of the Z-report?  Or if
> inventory for specific items gets too low to send the owner an email with
> details so he/she might take re-order actions, etc?  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

0
glenn9672 (1267)
8/15/2006 4:29:02 PM
We have a safe that prints out reports like the total drops for the day every
night.   it would be cool if RMS could print reports
(drops/over/short/zreports) automatically so mornning manger could audit and
etc.

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> email alerts are not a part of the RMS package, and I don't know of any
> add-ons that allow it.  You might want to check out SQL Server
> notification services and reporting services - I believe they are
> available as part of the SQL 2005 Express Advanced download.
>

> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>

> Bob Thrasher wrote:
> > Question I have been unable to get answered on the POS system (running a
> > single store with no HQ module).  Is there an add-on or programming
> > possibility in the SQL database to have POS send an automated email?  For
> > example to send the store owner a nightly copy of the Z-report?  Or if
> > inventory for specific items gets too low to send the owner an email with
> > details so he/she might take re-order actions, etc?  Any suggestions would be
> > appreciated.

You can combine a few tools to achieve this functionality.  I do this
very thing to send myself text messages with total sales at the end of
every day.  Here is how I do it:

1. Create a .bat file with the following commands (2 separate lines):
osql -ddatabasename -Uusername -Ppassword -n -h-1 < daily_sales.sql >
daily_sales.txt
clemail -quiet -to remote@email.com -from local@email.com -smtpserver
ispServerName -subjectfile daily_sales.txt -body "daily sales"

clemail is Comman Line Emailer and can be found at
http://www.sureshotsoftware.com/clemail/   I recall seeing another
similar tool that is freeware but I don't remember the name and I
already paid for clemail a long time ago.

osql is a utility for running sql queries at the command line.  Check
out:

2.  Create a sql command file (referenced as daily_sales.sql above).  I
use the following statement:
SELECT CONVERT(CHAR(19),GETDATE()), DailySales.Total FROM
yourdatabasename.dbo.DailySales DailySales WHERE DailySales.Type=6 AND
DailySales.Date>=getdate()-1 ORDER BY DailySales.Date

3.  Set up a job to run on whatever schedule you desire.  I use System
Scheduler:
http://www.splinterware.com/products/wincron.htm
You can set it up to run the main .bat file I referred to in the first
step.  System Scheduler has a nice option to run events in "Hidden"
mode which prevents the pc from popping up a command line windows
whenever you run a .bat file.

There is probably a more elegant way to achieve all this but this is
what I hacked together a while ago and it works great for me.  As far
as I can tell you're only limited by what kind of sql statements you
can concoct.

Bob Thrasher wrote:
> Question I have been unable to get answered on the POS system (running a
> single store with no HQ module).  Is there an add-on or programming
> possibility in the SQL database to have POS send an automated email?  For
> example to send the store owner a nightly copy of the Z-report?  Or if
> inventory for specific items gets too low to send the owner an email with
> details so he/she might take re-order actions, etc?  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

0
lancemuz (31)
8/16/2006 9:07:51 AM
We use SQL reporting services to produce scheduled reports. Its a fairly
elegant solution, but requires full SQL 2000 license rather than MSDE on one
of your servers. We also use SRS to report from our ecommerce platforms and
marketing data so our clients only see one report format.

I believe the free version of SQL 2005 has this functionality FOC but we are
not using 05 with RMS yet.

--
Neil McQuillan
Squarefruit

"Bob Thrasher" wrote:

> Question I have been unable to get answered on the POS system (running a
> single store with no HQ module).  Is there an add-on or programming
> possibility in the SQL database to have POS send an automated email?  For
> example to send the store owner a nightly copy of the Z-report?  Or if
> inventory for specific items gets too low to send the owner an email with
> details so he/she might take re-order actions, etc?  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

Problems with creating a newsletter

Inbox send/receive syncronizing

Outlook Send/Receive mail SLOW

Sending Email #6

CRM Email Displays Size=2>

Email cannot be resolved...

Recurring email #2

landed costs in MS RMS
Is there a standard functionality on handling landed costs (allocating freight and other related costs to the value of goods purchased)? We've heard that there's add-on that need to purchased in addition to RMS to support this feature and so far we couldn't hear of someone who has used it. Try contacting www.retailrealm.us directly for a reference on the Landed Cost add-on. Rob "Kstylian" <Kstylian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83D5F933-4592-4AEE-AE31-7673261F88EC@microsoft.com... > Is there a standard functionality on handling landed ...

Automating Detail Additions
What would you say is the best way to programatically create detail lines in Great Plains? My specific scenario right now is within Invoice Entry to programatically add Invoice detail lines from a custom data source (with custom business logic.) Can VBA in Great Plains do it? From what I'm seeing it can react to line focus and change events, but I'm not sure about specifically adding a new line in VBA. Best case would be the ability to fill the grid using VBA referring to our custom tables. Dexterity? Seems like the event code necessary is locked down for standard Great Pl...

send on behalf #6
Hi, We have a helpdesk mailbox and I would like to give the "send on behalf" permission to a distribution group but "active directory Users and computers" won't let me do this. I can only see users. No groups. Exchange 2003 sp2, Outlook 2003, Native forest. I don't wanna use "send as" cause we wanna see sender name. Could it be a GC problem? Am I missing something? Thanks On 19 May 2006 06:43:07 -0700, dany_langlois@yahoo.com wrote: >Hi, > >We have a helpdesk mailbox and I would like to give the "send on >behalf" permiss...

Inbox Icons not changing when email forwarded or replied to
This may seem like an insignicant issue, but when you have hundreds of emails in your inbox, it is extremely important to know which ones you have forwarded and which ones you have replied to. Unfortunately, my inbox icons do not change when I reply to a message or forward a message. They also remain as the "Read Message" icon. I have searched the Knowledge Base, but I have been unable to find an answer to this seemingly simple issue. I am using Outlook 2000. Appreciate any assistance, James ...

Email signature #4
Using Outlook 2000, whenever I send an email my automatic signature is preceded by "AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature"". How do I get rid of it? It doesn't happen when I insert auto text directly. ...

Exchange problem while emailing from TS
I have a published application via TS and Citrix Metaframe XPe. OCCASSIONALY, when a message is sent from MAPI client configured in the TS environment (Outlook 2003) it will change the SMTP address, by concatinanting the address. For example: user@domain.com is the intended address, when I look at the Message Tracking Center on the Exchange Server it's attempting to send to user@domain.com:USER@DOMAIN.COM. Where is the :USER@DOMAIN.COM, which is being added to the end of the SMTP coming from ? ...

outlook 2007, exchange 2007 in SBS 2008 email attachment extensions changed
Day one after rolling out SBS2008 after migrating from SBS200, A number of users are complaining about Word doc's arriving as .do_ and pdf's arriving as .pd_ which need to be renamed to work as intended. Have googled and binged to no avail. Forefront wasn't installed, and get-attachmentfilterlist commands in the Exchange power shell don't return anything that clarifies the situation. Anyone any ideas where this is coming from? Thanks AC You sure you have no other mail filtering? If you have no forefront.. it doesn't sound to me like it's the SBS ...