Old Gift Cards / Vouchers Best Practices

I have been using gift cards since 2003 and have hundreds with anywhere from
1$ -25$ on them that are older than 24 months that I don't think any customer
will ever come back in to use. I would like to zero them all out so I can
remove them from my books.

RMS Support has suggested creating a non-inventory item and letting each old
gift card buy this item to zero out its balance. This way I can see where the
card's final use went  if there are any questions in the futrue .

This makes since to me as a way to get rid of these cards and there
balances, but does it make sense from the idea of "best practices' in dealing
with gift cards.

Looking back at this I feel I need to put an expiration date on all future
gift cards and need to have a policy for cashing them out below a certain
balance so the customer gets the last few $ in cash.

What are other retailers doing in this regards.

Thanks
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In the last few years Florida passed laws banning gift card expiration
dates, with some exceptions. You may want to check your state laws. I  think
it is still reasonable write them off the books after a long enough period,
especially if you have a means of going back to check if someone walks in
with a 3 year old card ;)

Marc

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been using gift cards since 2003 and have hundreds with anywhere
>from
> 1$ -25$ on them that are older than 24 months that I don't think any
> customer
> will ever come back in to use. I would like to zero them all out so I can
> remove them from my books.
>
> RMS Support has suggested creating a non-inventory item and letting each
> old
> gift card buy this item to zero out its balance. This way I can see where
> the
> card's final use went  if there are any questions in the futrue .
>
> This makes since to me as a way to get rid of these cards and there
> balances, but does it make sense from the idea of "best practices' in
> dealing
> with gift cards.
>
> Looking back at this I feel I need to put an expiration date on all future
> gift cards and need to have a policy for cashing them out below a certain
> balance so the customer gets the last few $ in cash.
>
> What are other retailers doing in this regards.
>
> Thanks

0
Marc
4/22/2010 1:58:18 PM
Washington and many states have the same laws as Florida of no expiration
date on gift cards.

--
Maurice Gordon
Maurice@americanretailsupply.com

"Marc" <marc_no_spam@beverlyspet.com> wrote in message
> In the last few years Florida passed laws banning gift card expiration
> dates, with some exceptions. You may want to check your state laws. I
> think it is still reasonable write them off the books after a long enough
> period, especially if you have a means of going back to check if someone
> walks in with a 3 year old card ;)
>
> Marc
>

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have been using gift cards since 2003 and have hundreds with anywhere
>>from
>> 1$ -25$ on them that are older than 24 months that I don't think any
>> customer
>> will ever come back in to use. I would like to zero them all out so I can
>> remove them from my books.
>>
>> RMS Support has suggested creating a non-inventory item and letting each
>> old
>> gift card buy this item to zero out its balance. This way I can see where
>> the
>> card's final use went  if there are any questions in the futrue .
>>
>> This makes since to me as a way to get rid of these cards and there
>> balances, but does it make sense from the idea of "best practices' in
>> dealing
>> with gift cards.
>>
>> Looking back at this I feel I need to put an expiration date on all
>> future
>> gift cards and need to have a policy for cashing them out below a certain
>> balance so the customer gets the last few $ in cash.
>>
>> What are other retailers doing in this regards.
>>
>> Thanks

0
Maurice

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01CAE2D4.75C02030

It gets even worse!

Some states have passed laws that if the merchant closes a gift card, =
the unclaimed money goes to the state as unclaimed property. If =
unclaimed for 2-10 years, depending on the state, it then goes to the =
general fund!!

--=20

Jeff=20
Check Point Software

Search this newsgroup -- http://tinyurl.com/2lmk4w  (Stolen from DRS)
=3D=3D=3D

newsgroup reader to
follow
newsreader"

http://tinyurl.com/75bgz
=3D=3D=3D

  "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
  I have been using gift cards since 2003 and have hundreds with =
anywhere from=20
  1$ -25$ on them that are older than 24 months that I don't think any =
customer=20
  will ever come back in to use. I would like to zero them all out so I =
can=20
  remove them from my books.

  RMS Support has suggested creating a non-inventory item and letting =
each old=20
  gift card buy this item to zero out its balance. This way I can see =
where the=20
  card's final use went  if there are any questions in the futrue .

  This makes since to me as a way to get rid of these cards and there=20
  balances, but does it make sense from the idea of "best practices' in =
dealing=20
  with gift cards.

  Looking back at this I feel I need to put an expiration date on all =
future=20
  gift cards and need to have a policy for cashing them out below a =
certain=20
  balance so the customer gets the last few $ in cash.

  What are other retailers doing in this regards.

  Thanks
------=_NextPart_000_003E_01CAE2D4.75C02030

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Dutf-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16535"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>It gets even worse!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008000>Some states have passed laws that if the =
merchant=20
closes a gift card, the unclaimed money goes to the state =
as&nbsp;unclaimed=20
property. If unclaimed for 2-10 years, depending on the state, it then =
goes to=20
the general fund!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR><BR>Jeff <BR>Check Point Software</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Search this newsgroup -- <A=20
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/2lmk4w">http://tinyurl.com/2lmk4w</A>&nbsp; =
(Stolen=20
from =
DRS)<BR>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
of=20
you are=20
Express.&nbsp;=20
on the=20
right.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #008000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; =
  <DIV>"Richard" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Richard@discussions.microsoft.com">Richard@discussions.mic=
rosoft.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:76839953-2056-4C98-BC39-1C63332CA047@microsoft.com">news:768=
39953-2056-4C98-BC39-1C63332CA047@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>I=20
  have been using gift cards since 2003 and have hundreds with anywhere =
from=20
  <BR>1$ -25$ on them that are older than 24 months that I don't think =
any=20
  customer <BR>will ever come back in to use. I would like to zero them =
all out=20
  so I can <BR>remove them from my books.<BR><BR>RMS Support has =
suggested=20
  creating a non-inventory item and letting each old <BR>gift card buy =
this item=20
  to zero out its balance. This way I can see where the <BR>card's final =
use=20
  went&nbsp; if there are any questions in the futrue .<BR><BR>This =
makes since=20
  to me as a way to get rid of these cards and there <BR>balances, but =
does it=20
  make sense from the idea of "best practices' in dealing <BR>with gift=20
  cards.<BR><BR>Looking back at this I feel I need to put an expiration =
date on=20
  all future <BR>gift cards and need to have a policy for cashing them =
out below=20
  a certain <BR>balance so the customer gets the last few $ in =
cash.<BR><BR>What=20
  are other retailers doing in this=20
regards.<BR><BR>Thanks</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01CAE2D4.75C02030--

0
Jeff

Best Practices for departing employees
is there a Best Practice for what to do with a users Exchange mailbox when they quit. I know that most companies have their own policies (we don't) so I'm wondering if there is a recommended procedure when an employee quits. -chrism. Talk to your legal/compliance group. If you have things that need to be kept for legal/compliance issues, then you'll want to look at some sort of archival process. If not, give the manager of the person 30 days to request mail (in a .pst or archive) and then delete the mailbox. "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message news:eyuK...

Old Stock ticker symbols need 2B deleted
How do i delete the cache of old stock ticker symbols that appear every time i try to manually update the price of a stock? Thanks. gh Go to the portfolio, and click on Work with Investments -> Delete an investment if you want to remove them from the file - this should remove it from the price history list. If you want to keep any investment activities, then go to the investment in question, click on its details/settings and remove the symbol. Alternatively, click on update prices -> 'pick online prices to download' and deselect those you don't want to download. -...

references to old servers
In ADUC, I see references to old servers. I have Advanced Features checked, and I am looking under SYSTEM - RpcServices. There are 2 references to Arcserve backup in the format BrightStorEB@Oldserver1 and BrightStorEB@Oldserver2. What is the proper way to remove these references? -- Thanks! Howdie! On 06.04.2010 15:08, Saucer Man wrote: > In ADUC, I see references to old servers. I have Advanced Features checked, > and I am looking under SYSTEM - RpcServices. There are 2 references to > Arcserve backup in the format BrightStorEB@Oldserver1 and > Bright...

Outlook deleted old inbox on Comcast when started on new computer
I am using Outlook for the first time and wanted to synch my comcast currently using with new computer. Now all of my inbox on Comcast has been deleted and none of the folders have transferred to the new outlook. HELP There isn't a way for anyone to figure out what happened with so few details. What version of Outlook? How did you configure your Outlook account with Comcast? What steps did you take? "goldenpony07" <goldenpony07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:457C7193-B5C1-4BB8-AA99-D294845CB0E1@microsoft.com... > I am using Outlook fo...

Why isnt my server connecting. If I have any more trouble with this passport I will just cancle all services I have buisness to tend to I am disabled with a 3yr old who wil
I am really looking forward to using your services but its getting late I am tired of playing games. I have been online with you for a couple of hours time is of essence. So please just let me know what the cost. Lets get on with it I have to still contact sss also my online bandking Time I have waisted on this passnet passport whatever is rediculouse. I love Microsoft everything so lets get moveing or I have to cancle I am running out of time. ...

Employee Cards
I've created a form in excell to be used to create employee time cards. The card stock is already preprinted. What I want to do is to print the employees name and SS# on each individual time card. I know how to do a mass mailing in WORD by inserting fields. Can I do the same type of think in EXCEL, and if so, how??? Hi Brian, If they are on the same line your chances of getting what you want from Excel would probably improve. But use MS Word, Mailmerge as you may have done before would probably insure consistent results. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm ---...

Palm sync old contacts from Outlook
Greetings, I have a peculiar problem. I just got a new computer. I'm having troubles with my Outlook contacts. I copied my pst file from the old computer to the new one. However I received an error message when I clicked the "To..." button on a new email message. It said that the address list could not be displayed. I fixed this problem by refreshing the contacts in Outlooks account settings. However I have a remaining problem. When I sync my palm with the new computer, it grabs old contact info. It's weird. If I make a change to a contact (say a ...

Old Org Charts
I have a file with a large number of old org charts inserted in it (Excel 2000?) I have upgraded to XP/2003 and now can't open and edit these org charts. FAQ's suggest old charts will be converted when "inserted" - how??? Hi, PMB. See if this article helps: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826835 "Cannot edit Organization Chart 2.0 files that are created in earlier versions of Office into Office 2003". "PMB" wrote: > I have a file with a large number of old org charts inserted in it (Excel 2000?) > > I have upgraded to XP/2003 and now ca...

nursing school drug cards
How do I find a template for nursing school drug cards? Look for something a teensy bit less specific? Are they maybe "flash cards"? On Mar 23, 8:54=A0pm, Elizabeth <Elizab...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I find a template for nursing school drug cards? What are nursing school drug cards? Have you asked somebody in the nursing profession? "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED7A6F46-C551-4EF8-8696-E4627B652D06@microsoft.com... : How do I find a template for nursing school drug cards? ...

verification popup when entering credit card closing amounts???
when we do a cash drop or enter closing amounts, and if credit card amounts are entered, the credit card verfication screen is prompting the cashiers to enter credit card information. i do not get this prompt during these processes when i am in our test database, it only does this in our live store database. is there any way to prevent this? thank you, kevin apologies for the duplicate posted question ...

How do I generate page numbers on gift certificates?
I want to number the gift certificates automatically for print. Is there a way to do this in Publisher? Jaba61 Setup a consecutive number database and merge. You can do this within Publisher or in Excel, Access and even a Word list will work. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jaba61" <Jaba61@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D236365-FAFE-43F9-940C-EF381C2943F4@microsoft.com... >I want to number the gift certificates automatically for print. Is th...

Almost Out of Space
We have about 40MB of free disk space on one of our 5.5 servers. We have been moving larger mailboxes off of the server. What else should we do to free up disk space? Is moving public folders to another server advisable? Could free up about 10GB on that volume potentially......any issues with this? Thanks! If you have been moving mailboxes to another server then you will have a goodly amount of free space in the store. You can do an offline defrag to reduce the physical size of the edb file. You don't necessarily have to find sufficient space on the local machine (although it...

Old data into newer program
I just purchased a new computer and would like to use Money Plus Deluxe in it. I have been using Money 2003 on my older computer. Would I be able to transfer my Money 2003 data (from old computer) to the new computer? And will Money Plus deluxe be able to read (use) the data? -- Matt Mina The general answer is Yes and Yes. If you have been using a non-US version, the answer is No and No. Unless you are a Canadian. Then there is probably a Maybe answer. "Matt Mina" <MattMina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71BDCC69-3475-45DF-892D-5789C2D58112@microso...

wizard wont recognize old dialog/cpp relationships
i have just converted an old VC++6 project to run under Visual Studio 200. Everything seems to work fine except that the Wizards will not recognise the existing Dialog-CPPclass links any more. If I bring up the Dialog in the editor and double click I get the 'Welcome to the MFC class Wizard' which lets lets me create a new class but I need to re-link it to an existing CPP/H pair of files Does anyone know how to do this? Any help offered will be much appreciated Best regards Phil that should be visual studio 2005 :) "philip" <mfc@oakleafsoftware.co.uk> wrote...

Greeting Cards
How can i put a greeting card on the horizontal??? I'm trying it for ages but everytime i try to put it on the horizontal it just looks all out of the places! Thank you Have you tried starting with a template that's horizontal instead of a vertical fold? Have you tried Select All, Group, and then rotate? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2596765D-8D60-42BB-A334-894C95137BB0@microsoft.com... > How can i put a greeting card on the horizontal??? > I'm trying it for ages but everytim...

Old Exchange 5.5 Server listed in Exchange 2003
Have taken over a role whereby I need to remove Exchange 5.5 server from the Exchange 2003 system that we have. Unfortunately the Exchange 5.5 server is no longer here but is listed within the servers in Exchange 2003 System Manager. Is there anyway to remove this without rebuilding an Exchange 5.5 server ? Take a look at the following article particularly steps 15+ 822450 How to remove the last Exchange Server 5.5 computer from an Exchange Server 2003 administrative group http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;822450 -- Alan Williams Microsoft Exchange Support Pl...

Corrupted user profile.. how to get back to old name?
Running XP Pro at work. Login through a domain on Win2003SBS. I login with my name ssetnicky and password. We only use the server to store data really, it pushes out antivirus to all the machines, and we can access our accounting software's database which resides on the server. Each one of us has our own login and we're a member of the administrators group. My local computer's profile got corrupted around March 24th. When I logged on it looked as if I was viewing XP for the first time.. the little take a tour icon popped up, none of my quicklaunch icons were there, e...

Migrating from old computer to new.
I'm moving from an P3/600 XP home computer to a P4/3.4 XP Media Center. On the older system i'm using Office 2000, and would like to move my Outlook ..pst over to new system with Office 2003. I tried to move the files via CD... access denied, I added the new computer to the network (peer to peer) and navigated to the files, but access was denied because I didn't have permission. I read a couple of posting here before this message and I'm somewhat confused by the terms import/export and open. Any suggestions? -- Thank you, Chris Outlook needs to have read/write access to...

Remote Mail / Offline Folders
Hi - I have a user who normally uses her laptop in the Office, connected to our Exchange Server. However, she has expressed a wish to be able to use her ISP account whilst she is away for the next few weeks - her email being redirected from the Exchange Server to her ISP in the mean time. She also would like to have all her emails contacts & calendar available to her whilst being away. I have created an off-line folder and a remote mail connection. But, I want the best of both worlds: Mode #1: Office - Use Exchange online folders as normal, don't use ISP mails. Mode #2: Away - Us...

What is best way to install Money Plus preminum 2008
Hello All: Since my Money 2006 is due to expire, I just purchased the 2008 plus premium on line. Have already downloaded it with no problem. My questions before proceeding with installation: Do I have to un-install 2006 first ? Or will the new version upgrade the old one? Could I install 2008 in a separate directory and keep the old one in order to try it out with my existing data file? Any other advise regarding pre-installation steps will be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Once 2008 has upgraded your .mny file it cannot be read by 2006. Unless you want to go through the hassle of keepi...

bussiness,bussiness cards,bussiness week,bussiness letter format,bussiness casual,bussiness plan,bussiness letter,bussiness card size,bussiness card template,bussiness objects,bussiness for sale
Getting started with home-based business may be troublesome and in many cases people may get mystified on 'how to actually go about it'. Many individuals wish to undertake online business, but the fears of starting usually pull them behind. Here, you need to realize that 'information' is the function of acquaintance which means that 'the more knowledge one gets regarding what he wants to do, the easier and better it becomes for him to do it'. Therefore, you need to look for useful details before you decide to undertake home based business. More Detailed Visit:...

How do I make and print 3x5 address cards?
I was in the wrong area when I asked this before. I am new at this and trying to figure out how to make a list of names, addresses, phone numbers, etc., that I can then print on 3x5 index cards. I want to be able to keep the information in my computer, but be able to print out cards to look it up if I'm not on the computer or to give to my sons who use Mac's instead of PC's. I figured someone had made a template for how to do this, but I haven't been able to find it. I have Office 2003 with Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Can anyone help me? Thanks. You don...

How to enter credit card
I've asked this question before and scrupulously followed instructions, but I keep coming up with huge balances for my Discover. Funny thing is, I enter the Visa the same way and it comes out even after I pay it. Can someone explain again, step-by-step, how to enter transactions (often split) into the Discover register and then which way to show I've PAID it (I think that's the problem); I usually pay by check. Normally I enter my charges weekly with "Show Transaction Forms" checked and when I pay the monthly bill I do a Credit, From:Discover Card, Category: Tra...

Best place/book to get advanced training?
I've been using excel for a long time, but my new job requires me to be more of a power user than I currently am. Any suggestions on online course/tutorials? Books? Free websites that can assist in my learning? I'm comfortable with using most excel functions, but need to improve most in the advanced functions area, better/efficient workbook design, preparing a workbook for distribution/collaboration, and generally those tips and tricks that help a user go from good to great. Any ideas are much appreciated. IMHO, Any book by John Walkenbach will do the trick. Chec...

Best Work at Home Jobs Online
Are you looking for online jobs for college students? Or are you simply looking for the best work at home jobs online so that you don't have to work that boring 9 to five job any more? Well if you are you a college student who doesn't have time for a full time job but needs some extra cash and you're looking for online jobs from home or you're someone who simply needs a different line of work, then you've come to the right article! Today a lot of people are looking for online work and are getting into what is known as affiliate marketing. Why? Because it has a l...